Barack Obama to the Rescue!!

Let’s say for a moment that you are a family of three, with an operating monthly budget of $4,000. Things are tight. Perhaps you lost your job because the tax burden on your employer increased three times fold. Or perhaps you’ve seen added expenses on your end, maybe an increased energy bill due to cap-and-trade legislation, or just the increased cost of living and eating and shopping because of the increased cost of doing business for American corporations of all kinds. As a reasonable, responsible American family, what do you do?

You cut costs. Because that’s what personally and fiscally responsible people do.

Thankfully, our president finally sees the light. The United States of America is overextended, our budget is far too bloated and far too ambitious. So, in recognizing that, President Obama will call upon Cabinet officials today to find and cut a whole $100 million from the $3.55 trillion federal budget.

“It’s a start,” White House spokesmouth Robert Gibbs–who just a few weeks ago dismissed $7 billion in pork added to the $410 billion appropriations bill as “miniscule”–will inevitably say, in response to the criticism from Republicans and other opponents even the Associated Press was brilliant enough to anticipate. And he’s right — it is a start.

And it’s being done for the right reasons, too, I’m sure. In the Associated Press report released today, an unnamed administration official confirmed just that, offering that “Obama will be reminding Cabinet members that financially-pressed families are looking to the government to spend their money wisely.”

Set aside, for a moment, the idea that urging the government to spend taxpayer money wisely is a tell-tale sign of a right-wing extremist, according to the Department of Homeland Security, a sure-fire symptom of nutjobbery worthy of an FBI tail. Think instead about the numbers, and how much Obama’s action of dipping his toe into the pool of fiscal responsibility will truly help those “financially-pressed families” he is so shamelessly pandering to.

The $100 million Obama seeks to cut represents a whopping 0.000028 percent of the federal budget. For people like you and like me, who struggle to maintain that $4,000 operating budget each and every month, that works out to be a little more than 11 cents.

Excuse me for not dancing.

American families cannot act this way — why should the federal government be allowed to do so? Such fiscal recklessness makes absolutely no sense, and the remediation efforts made today by this administration are anything but. Think about it.

Over the past six months alone, under both former President Bush and President Obama, this federal government has dug Americans into a $12 trillion hole. But cutting that $100 million out of the record-breaking federal budget makes all the difference!

Sure thing, I can make sure my 52-inch widescreen LCD TV receives HBO, Starz, Showtime, Encore, Cinemax and the latest UFC match every two weeks so long as I chew one less piece of Juicy Fruit every month. I can fill my Chevy Suburban with 93-octane gasoline and leave the tires barely inflated–because that’s how I roll on my 150-mile commute–so long as I dilute the milk in my daughter’s sippy cup every morning. We can keep every single light on in the house all day, crank the heat and leave the windows open, so long as we hang-dry our clothes outside instead of using the dryer.

Contrary to what his overdependence upon his TelePrompTer is telling us, President Obama is no idiot, especially when it comes to the matter of shaping public opinion. He knows that, to the below-average American citizen who pays more attention to American Idol than Special Report, $100 million sounds like a whole lot of money, and asking officials to cut that much looks as if, on its face, this administration is exercising a modicum of common sense.

In reality, however, pressuring officials into making a 0.000028 percent cut while evoking the struggling American family as motivation for doing so is nothing more than a slap to the face of every American man and woman who get up every morning to put food on their kids’ table, clothes on their backs, and a roof over their head.

My wife and I struggle each and every month to make ends meet. Sometimes we make it into the black, but often we remain at break-even or ever so slightly in the red. We make cuts wherever we can. We shop at the discount supermarkets, we buy certain things in bulk. We keep the thermostat so low that Al Gore would be beaming. Just this morning, I was able to tweak our mobile phone plan enough to squeeze another $15 out of our budget. For those with a $4000 operating budget each month, that $15 would represent 0.0037 percent. And if Barack Obama were to ask for that much of a cut today, he’d be pressing his Cabinet members to find $13.3 billion instead of a mere $100 million.

But he didn’t ask for that much. Instead, he asked for the everyday American’s equivalent of just more than a dozen M&Ms. How positively groundbreaking.

I know liberals like to tax and spend. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to decipher such a predisposition. What Barack Obama is doing, however, is making a fool of the American public. He’s rubbing his executive power in our tired, overworked faces, trying to pass himself off as genuinely concerned for the plight of people like you and me when such a sentiment couldn’t be further from the truth.

Eleven cents, he essentially asked, to be cut from a $4,000 monthly budget. How utterly responsible. Perhaps that’s the “change” so many people voted for last November.

Comments

OK, for starters, I am a divorced mother of three and my monthly budget is less than $3,000 – did you catch that? Family of four on less than $3,000 a month.

I haven’t missed a single mortgage payment, even at the $742 it was raised to this month because of escrow on taxes and insurance.

I don’t get food stamps, and there’s no federal program helping me out. I don’t have cable or even pick up local channels. I drive a 12-year-old vehicle, do not take “family vacations”, do not have designer clothes.

If I were asked to cut my budget anywhere, I’d have to ask, “How? Where?”

I went to the TEA party with children in tow (Hi, FBI!) and explained why to my two youngest.

I’ve written to my congressmen who either don’t respond or tell me lies (are they ignorant or think I am?), to my state representatives (no reply from those representing my district, but some from others), and to Jeffrey Taylor (no reply).

It’s frustrating to see the America I knew not available to my children. I’m also a student and part-time business owner who works full-time. You think I have time or money to support what needs to be done for the return of “MY AMERICA”?

As my mothers says, “I need to pay attention to raising my children.”

To top that off, most people I know are not paying attention and have no desire to get involved.

God bless us all! We surely need it now more than ever!

2. POWDER RAMMER says:

I’ll use that eleven cents and buy a cartridge.

3. whats_up says:

Its a start, and he should be applauded for listening to the people. Is it enough, no, but each journey has to start somewhere.

This destruction of the American middle class was by design…and years in the making.

We’ve become a cowed people, exhausted from just trying to put food on the table and trying to squeeze out a little time for ourselves. We’ve been made to feel guilty for driving the kind of car we WANT to drive, using the kind of light bulb we WANT to us, planting the kind of plants that we WANT to plant, eating the kind of foods we WANT to eat…and now guilty for BREATHING.

It’s as much a psychological warfare as it is economical.

A recent article in Wired Magazine talks about the Pentagon’s plans to tap Northrop Grumman to develop, a kind of binoculars that can tap the subconscious mind…So, now they will be able to detect what we’re thinking (we’re now the enemy) much faster than if left to their own accord, i.e. to detect threats faster the the conscious mind realizes.

Now, you might wonder why this is significant. I leave you with that thought to ponder

Powder Rammer, eleven cents won’t buy a cartridge!

I’m on social security, my only income. It’s going to get interesting this winter when the heating bill, groceries, property taxes, car insurance and gasoline go up. Some increases are already in place, and it’s more than 11 cents!

Keep writing, folks. We are the only ones who can do anything about it!

Question: If Obama and his minions realized that spending needed to be cut, why in the world are they spending our tax dollars to protect San Fran Nan’s RATS or Murtha’s DEADBEAT AIRPORT? (There’s a starter for you, Obama!)

6. Dee says:

BO will sound tough and those who voted for him will believe that it is a big deal and give him credit for what they perceive to be a huge cut in government spending. Wait until he tries to cut Medicare or Social Security. My thermostat is so low that I have to wear 3 sweatshirts and that is during the day. It’s much lower at night. Maybe he can order pizza from Domino’s now and then to show that he understands the common folk or maybe Nancy can fly economy. How much longer until the next presidential election?
    Thank you, Jeff, and fellow right wing extremists.

7. Laurie says:

Jeff….a great article as usual.

To: whats_up said…

April 20, 2009 11:43 AM

Are you out of your mind!! It’s a start!! Did you read all of Jeff’s article?? This is not a “start” as you see it….this was just more politics as usual to satisfy the people that voted him in! Most of them did not know one thing about him or his beliefs…only he was for change and they were there for the handout. Now those same people are going to read/hear his stern directive to cut the budget by $100M….spit in the wind and there would be more of a reaction to the action. Good grief….get a grip.

8. Courtney says:

Anonymous referenced a Wired Magazine article – sounds like research and development being done for the “Thought Police”.

And I noticed a quote (sorry, can’t remember now where I read it) from Janet Napalitano referring to the DHS advisory about rightwing extremists and some of the language in it as “Washingtonese”. Seems I’ve heard that word before in the MSM. Is this our “Newspeak”?

everything that is going on has been on craft since the 70´s and now is the big take over @ the help of amoral & unethical billionares

10. Jan says:

Yeah, wise spending by flying in a chef for pizza. That’s my tax dollars at work for ya. Don’t know about the rest of you here but I’ve never flown a chef in to prepare anything for my family or I. Yet Dufas Brain says he relates. Exactly how so? Geez….

11. DP says:

At least you are exposing the truth!?

However?

All this is really GREAT, except unless you bind the STRONGMAN- (deal with the Spirit motivating the man to do the deed- We war not against FLESH & BLOOD!!!!)

Definition of insanity is to keep doing and supporting the same failed mode and to expect to win the war.

12. amomx4 says:

“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.” – Gandhi

Ladies and gents:

We just need to keep getting progressively louder, until we can no longer be ignored. Good article, Jeff.

14. JUSTIFIABLE HATE says:

That graphic makes me puke. The big “O” is for OBSTINATE. Unfortunately Sr. had a big O to create this scum.

15. whats_up says:

Jan,

Obama didnt fly in the chef, the chef flew himself in with his own money.

go gandhi

17. tm says:

A menial effort to keep American Pravda cheerleading the masses.
    Rix is right, the plan is the destruction of the US . The One simply keeps putting out ignorant talking points as a Trojan horse to keep everyone from seeing the real agenda.

PS:

WOW – With those savings we can offset:
    ONE of the 23 – $100,000,000 spending items in the Stimulus bill OR
    ½ of ONE of the 12 – $200,000,000 spending items in the Stimulus bill OR
    1/3 of ONE of the 9 – $300,000,000 spending items in the Stimulus bill OR
    1/4 of ONE of the 12 – $400,000,000 spending items in the Stimulus bill OR
    1/5 of ONE of the 14 – $500,000,000 spending items in the Stimulus bill OR
    1/6 of ONE of the 2 – $600,000,000 spending items in the Stimulus bill OR
    1/7 of ONE of the 1- $700,000,000 spending items in the Stimulus bill OR
    1/8 of ONE of the 1 – $800,000,000 spending items in the Stimulus bill OR
    1/10 of ONE of the 48 – BILLION DOLLAR PLUS spending items in the Stimulus bill.

What a plan for fiscal responsibility!

19. Let us move forward says:

Apparently Mr. O heard the tea parties after all, and this is his so lame answer to them.

He is a fool to think that tea party attendees will buy it.

How about not spending the pork in the Stimulus and a major rework of your and Ms. Pelosi’s budget, Mr. O. That would get some attention.

20. PattyW says:

When I hear that Obama is going to gain some praise for “cutting the budget” after spending trillions it reminds me of an old “The Simpsons” episode where Bart and Lisa try to cut cost in order to save money to pay for house help for Marge. Lisa says she will stop buying Malibu Stacy dolls and clothes and Bart says he will start smoking and then give it up. Lisa points out that Bart isn’t really doing anything but Homer defends him by stating that quitting smoking is one of the hardest things a person will have to do.
    Yes, Pres Obama is really sacrificing with those buget cuts!

This putz makes the first black President look good!

22. Claudia says:

I know how to cut a cool and easy $100 MILLION off of the budget, GET RID OF ALL THE LIBERAL DEMOCRATS IN CONGRESS!!! Their salaries plus half of their lifetime benefits would use that amout up right away and they don’t do anything good for this country anyway….

23. Bobby K. says:

This is just a slap in the face or a kick in the groins. Obama or the MSM doesn’t even act like they care, and are making no attempt too. Them cutting 100m is almost as bad as the $400 tax rebate CNN kept pushing on us with their reporters. It is shameful, disgraceful, and disrespectfull how the 3 stooges treat us. And what’s bad is, we let them. For goodness sakes, if Al Franken can even get enough votes for a recount, well, we desierve what we get. And like some of the others said, we have to start somewhere, hopefully 2010 will be a good start,, Jeff, it was a very good article, thanks for all your work…

Start not giving any money for ACORN, or billions for Palestine to move Hamas to USA. Stop paying Congress and the Obama’s Administration especially Obama.

25. goddessdivine says:

So is this his ‘response’ to the tea parties? What a joke. Why doesn’t he take a cut in salary, along with all the other empty suits in Washington? Oh yeah, and quit giving handouts to anyone and everyone! I don’t think any of our elected officials even know what a budget is.

26. Still a Patriot says:

Hi Jeff -
    Another great article! "Nutjobbery"… I love that word!
    I work full time, have a part time business & bring in about $1600 – $1700 a month. This winter's propane bills put me in the hole again. By the help of God, I seem to get by. I look at articles on how to cut corners, but I usually have already done that. I don't think Obama has a clue about what it's like to struggle & he doesn't care.
    If this is his response to the TEA Parties, we just have to get stronger & louder. May God help us all.
    Susan