I GOT IT WRONG. PLEASE TAKE NOTE.

CORRECTION!! CORRECTION!! CORRECTION!!

In the wee hours of this morning, I erroneously stated that 17 Senate Republicans voted in favor of the budget. Holy crap, was I wrong.

NO REPUBLICAN SENATORS VOTED IN FAVOR OF THE BUDGET.

The error has been erased — I do NOT want it spread around any further via e-mail, or anywhere else. For a link to the proper tally, click HERE. Something on the OpenCongress Web site pointed me in the wrong direction. Regardless it is my fault for not double-checking.

Honestly, some of the names sounded like they were correct–after all, Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania and both Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins of Maine have a history of turning their backs on fiscal responsibility–but some of them looked downright out of place. For that reason, I was planning on making a phone call today to Sen. Lindsey Graham’s office, as it seemed odd that he would vote for the president’s budget with Sen. John McCain proposed one of his own.

John Thune? Kay Bailey Hutchison? Mike Johanns? What the heck was I thinking?

Regardless, I am sick with embarrassment. I am by no means perfect, and I promise everyone that I meant no ill will, but I know better than to simply take anything at face value.

THIS IS THE LIST OF REPUBLICAN SENATORS I ERRONEOUSLY CITED AS VOTING FOR THE BUDGET:

• Sen. Christopher Bond [R, MO]
  • Sen. James Risch [R, ID]
  • Sen. Pat Roberts [R, KS]
  • Sen. Olympia Snowe [R, ME]
  • Sen. Arlen Specter [R, PA]
  • Sen. John Thune [R, SD]
  • Sen. George Voinovich [R, OH]

Repeat — these Republicans DID NOT vote for the budget. DID NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA’S BUDGET.

If you phoned them angrily, please try to call back. BLAME IT ON ME, and let me know via e-mail who you called — I need to send out a few letters of apology, and phone calls have already been made.

Comments

1. BlueWater says:

Excellent Retraction. The New York Obama Times and every other front for a news organization should be so honorable. Thanks.

Jeff, with a retraction like that, you’ll NEVER work for the New York Times, CBS (I repeat myself) NBC (I repeat myself again), ABC (I’m beginning to sound redundant), CNN (is there an echo in here), or MSDNC (where you may have just lost your opportunity to have your own show, until you retracted the error).

Ditto on excellent retraction.

However, the one that I have called so far, to THANK, was CORRECT!

We still appreciate the THOUGHT behind the incorrect one, Jeff.

Dear goodness! We have a lot more phone calls to make now!

(Happily)

5. Linda says:

Thanks for the correction. At least you have the integrity to fess up when you err’d (unlike those in government and the msm).

Hey Jeff…DO NOT BE EMBARRASSED…CONGRESS IS THE EMBARRASSMENT!
    It was an honest mistake. When I read that, I was not surprised at all! These days…anything these people do, left or right, does not shock me. Hutchinson didn’t vote for it, true, but she isn’t real popular in Texas anyway, due to some of her other choices, etc. If she had, I wouldn’t have been surprised.
    So, it isn’t something to bang your head over. Seriously, you went above and beyond trying to correct it. I wish the creeps in Congress would apologize and make corrections.

7. Dee says:

Thank you for the correction. I looked at the list and wondered about several of the names but like you, thought that Snowe and Specter were possibilities. I had heard earlier that no Republicans voted for it so I held off doing anything. Your site is still very appreciated. I understand that Specter appears to be worried about possibility of being defeated. He is putting out ads against Toomey even though Toomey has not announed that he is running yet.

8. rdansie says:

To error is human. To intentionally lie or mislead is Obama like.

9. Carlyle says:

BREAKING NEWS

The New World Currency

This is another in a series of “I told you so” stories that will not be covered, or at least not covered adequately, by the MSM. Only a president and an administration that is committed to unbridled globalization and a New World Order would have allowed this to happen.

Events and agreements at the just-concluded G20 meetings have severely weakened the US as a world power and further makes a major erosion in our national sovereignty.

From a speech by Gordon Brown, PM of UK:

The summit ended with smiles, a lengthy communiqué and grandiose pronouncements … Gordon Brown, host of the G20 summit in London, claimed that the deal marked the emergence of a “new world order” as he announced a range of moves, including a pledge … boost to the International Monetary Fund.

Notice carefully that he claimed the “emergence”, not the “evolution” or “strengthening”. Clearly, in their own words, they believe they have made a monumental change to the world economic situation. The amount of change has yet to be totally comprehended – but you can be sure it is not good for the interests of the US. A “tip of the iceberg” synopsis follows:

From the actual communiqué:

“We have agreed to expand the Financial Stability Forum to include all G20 countries and to reestablish it with a stronger mandate as the Financial Stability Board. It will drive the development of common principles and standards of regulation, strengthen international co-operation between regulators and policymakers, and, together with the IMF, identify and report on the build up of macroeconomic and financial risks.”

“We have agreed to work closely and systematically, in accordance with the FSF framework, to supervise cross-border institutions and to complete the establishment of colleges of supervisors for all significant cross-border financial firms.”

“We have agreed to endorse the FSF’s common principles on pay and compensation in financial institutions.”

“We have agreed that each of us commits to candid, even-handed, and independent IMF surveillance of our economies and financial sectors, of the impact of our policies on others, and of risks facing the global economy.”

From an article in Apr 3, Bloomberg.com:

“Global leaders took their biggest steps yet toward a new world order that’s less US-centric with a more heavily regulated financial industry and a greater role for international institutions and emerging markets.”

“At the end of a summit in London, policy makers from the Group of 20 yesterday delivered a regulatory blueprint that turned the page on the Anglo-Saxon model of free markets by placing stricter limits on financiers. The leaders also pledged to triple the resources of the International Monetary Fund and to hand China and other developing economies a greater say in the management of the world economy.”

” ‘It’s the passing of an era,’ said Robert Hormats, vice chairman of Goldman Sachs International, who helped prepare summits for presidents Gerald R. Ford, Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. ‘The U.S. is becoming less dominant while other nations are gaining influence.’ “

From an article in the Apr 3, London Financial Times:

“In a new development, the G20 agreed to let the IMF create $250bn of special drawing rights, its own currency, comprising dollars, euros, yen and sterling. This will boost the foreign exchange reserves of every country. Most of this cash will go to the big advanced economies, but poorer countries facing budgetary strains will gain new cash.”

This last paragraph may just fly right past you – so let me explain.

At a time when many of us are criticizing the US Federal Reserve (Fed) as being illegal, unconstitutional, and a key source of current problems – this G20 summit just created the mother of all “Feds” at the international level. The members of the IMF can deposit real national money (and gold and silver) with the IMF and the IMF will create a fiat currency based on those deposits – but expanded or inflated by, say, 100:1. This new currency is created largely out of thin air and will be managed by the IMF. They will set the price of this currency in regards all the other national currencies. All international obligations will be valued in relation to this currency. Or in the vernacular – all international bills must be paid in this currency.

For whatever reason (the paranoid would say – to more easily “put one over” on us), they failed to actually name the new currency (e.g. “Planetos”, “Worldars”, or some such), but the facts of the situation remain. There’s a new world currency and it ain’t the US Dollar.

This may be the most significant event to happen – ever – on the world stage – and we (US) just got screwed.

10. Linda says:

Yes, Carlyle. Thanks to the illegal we have in office who was only put there to invoke facist principles, the rest of the world has now succeeded in bringing down what was once the United States of America.

My husband has a distant relative who signed he Declaraton of Independence, so I have a special heavy heart at this time of our sovereignty’s demise.

11. Rodney says:

Yikes! Poor Mel Martinez may cringe when reading his e-mail. Thanks for the heads up on the error. I’ve already sent an apology. Now to inform the other 10 guys I told to blast their senators. LOL.

12. Bodenzee says:

Yours was an appropriate apology. To your credit you came clean immediately. I've never seen a Democrat or member of the MSM do so.

For most it's appropriate if we also say we're sorry. Snowe & Collins are my albatross though so I'll pass.

13. Pat in NC says:

Jeff, your integrity is so needed in this world. Thank you for being so upfront with your readers. I have e-mailed my apology to Sen. Burr for yesterdays e-mail questioning why he would vote for the budget. This vote was so much out of line with his usual performance that I should have sought verification before accepting erroneous information. I have little trust in congress and nothing really surprises me anymore. Most members in congress have failed our citizens so I was able to accept that another one had finally failed. I want to publicly state that Sen. Burr has seldom disappointed this Independent voter. Sen. Burr is not a camera hog but he does respond to his constituents by letter and by periodic newsletters.
    I will support him in 2010 when he stands for re-election.

A power assumed that is not given by the Constitution. Obama does not have the power to agree to this. It is unconstitutional.

Jeff, you made a honest mistake, but you have a great blog.

But, I think all the Rep Senators need some slapping for not looking at Obama’s eligiblity before the election.