Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Obamas

“NO WINKING AT THE QUEEN!” shouted perpetual dope Keith Olbermann back in May 2007. If he was oblivious even nearly two years ago of what a wanker he is, could there be any hope that he’s learned a bit and realizes it now?

Likely not.

I wonder if Olbermann (who should have stayed behind the desk at SportsCenter, where at least the subject material wouldn’t permit him to come off as such a ignorant egomaniac) will actually be true to the journalistic principles held by the man he fashions himself after at the close of each sad excuse of a broadcast and similarly criticize a far more egregious breach of royal protocol made today by Michelle Obama, wife to the president whose ebullient, toothy grin likely accounts for those crusty tube socks in Olbermann’s dressing room.

Likely not.

After all, fairness isn’t quite in the employee manuals at NBC News. Take, for example, those bastions of journalism at the Today Show, where just one day after reporter Keith Miller revisited George W. Bush’s embarrassing royal gaffe, reporter Dawna Friesen dismissed Michelle Obama’s embrace of the Queen–an overt act of ignorance to the no-touch rules at Buckingham Palace–as evidence of “easy charm.”

Just another part of “Michelle’s magic,” I guess. More like another example of the American media’s love affair with the Obamas.

After all, if it had been a Republican president and wife who gave such inequitable and thoughtless gifts to a foreign leader and his family, if it had been a Republican president who gave an iPod to the Queen of England and his wife who brazenly broke protocol and touched Her Majesty, they would have been absolutely savaged by the mainstream press. After all, the American press is always looking for ways to make it seem as though a Republican-led America is reviled by the rest of the world — but once there’s a Democrat in charge, everything changes.

Change. Maybe that explains why Barack Obama, the president of the United States, felt it necessary to bow before the Saudi King. After all, nothing says “superpower” like perceived subservience.

In the meantime even the British press is poking fun at how Gordon Brown, that Brezhnev apparatchik (thank you, Daniel Hannan), is practically sporting wood at the prospect of having an ebullient American president at his side, nonetheless one who supports any effort at a Global New Deal or anything else which will spread the wealth of those who drive economies across the world.

So, while Barack Obama and Gordon Brown proceed in a direction even the leaders of Communist China warn against, ignoring all history and precedent which show, unequivocally, that it is impossible to recover from debt and depression through reckless spending, the American press decides to cover Michelle Obama instead. Oh, she’s so Jackie Kennedy, they say. Oh, she’s positively shimmering!

Please. Look outside, you wankers. Look at the people who are rioting in the streets, destroying property. But look past the stupid signs, the irrelevant causes. Instead, look at the underlying level of unrest, the underlying level of frustration, and understand that as the global economy tanks at the behest of people like Gordon Brown and Barack Obama, we’re going to see a whole lot worse.

But I doubt that will make a difference for so-called journalists like Keith Olbermann. So long as George W. Bush still walks this Earth, Olbermann has his populist scapegoat and a perpetual choice for his “Worst Person In The World.”

Comments

It appears obvious that the destructrion of America as we know it is the intention of this administration, so why should they listen to anyone who says we’re headed down the wrong path as proved by history?

Did you see the video of Michelle and Elizabeth II arm in arm? Brief, but there nonetheless. And, Obama shook the Queen’s hand (you don’t “shake” it, you touch it!) with BOTH HANDS, and then bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia.

And, I’m thinking, “How long has he been there, and how soon can we get him home to his TelePrompTer?”

I had to laugh out loud at the Queen’s gift to the Obamas: a signed portrait photograph of the Queen and her husband!

Does anyone else out there think that Michelle Obama reminds him or her of a praying mantis? She does to me. She’s built like a praying mantis and moves like a praying mantis and her face is similar to that of a praying mantis. I just had to say what I think………Actually, I like insects, so I don’t think that I’m insulting her. It’s just an observation. Kinda like those impartial journalists out there slobbering, with tingles going up their legs, that she’s the cat’s pajamas……….

Anonymous at 7:19–

I didn’t know if anyone else noticed that or not, but I had not put her mannerisms yet to a praying mantis, especially if that praying mantis prays. She’s more like a ___ Panther to me. Pick your color.

5. CAL says:

I think that George Bush handled that situation perfectly. He screwed up, but turned it into a humorous moment. I do not think Obama is so quick on his feet. Noone was allowed to see the footage of Obama thanking himself at the White House St. Patrick’s Day party. Now that was stupid!
    Olberman is a small, hateful man. I cannot imagine how awful it must be to go through life so angry and bitter. I try to watch his show sometimes, but cannot stand it. He is so mean and dark, it is depressing.
    As far as Michelle Obama touching the queen, I think she knew better. Presidents and first ladies are briefed on protocol before meeting any foreign dignitary. I think she touched the queen on purpose to send a message that she is not going to be subservient to the queen.

Well, with the budget from hell passing through congress and cap and tax–excuse me, crap and trade–about to go into law in one form or another, and with a punitive tax on cigarettes a done deal, we are well on our way to a new, more expensive Amerika. Ah, the audacity of hope!

One problem: With steep price increases on the way for gas, electricity, and the subsequent rise in the cost of everything else, it’s a shame that only those who didn’t support the Kenyan for president will suffer.

Oh, wait–are you saying Obama lovers will also have to pay hundreds, possibly thousands, more dollars per year for these necessaries? They aren’t exempt? Well, I’ll be damned.

JV

7. Let us move forward says:

No Hail to the Chief,

He bows to a King,
    Michelle hugs the Queen,

Oh! The lack of Protocol is sooo refreshing!!
    Abandoning tradition is sooo liberating!!

What’s next? Dragging the Stars and Stripes in the dirt?
    Oh! he will spend our way to that….

Ironic, isn’t it:
    First the free market conservatives Reagan and Thatcher
    and now the spend thrift socialists Obama and Brown.
    Like sides of the coin on both sides of the Atlantic, 30 years different.
    Was this all planned somehow?

Just in a cynical mood tonight

You do not touch the queen unless she touches you first. That’s protocol. The queen put her hand on Michelle’s waist first, and Michelle returned the friendly gesture. It was brief. Michelle still had her sweater on. She later took it off to show her arms. None of the men took off their jackets. I am taken back by the two-handed handshake Obama gave her. You don’t shake her hand; you touch it.

All this was after Obama’s bullet-proof car had to be moved because it was blocking the garden entrance that the queen was to take, I think the report said.

I have said this all along…about Michelle…education does not equate etiquette. I would also venture to guess that Obama’s lack of protocol was deliberate.

10. dcbroome says:

I thought the video of W and the Queen was adorable! What class! President Bush was/is so warm and genuine. The video made me miss him more….

First of all, as Americans we do. not. bow. to. any. other.government.
    The American flag does not give way to any other nation. Ever.

EVER.

This is what we get for putting a semi-American man in office.

And i know he messed up big time, but can you imagine Bush EVER bowing or giving homage to any other ruler/kind/president?

Not on your life.

Respect? Yes. Protocol? Yes. But homage? Never.

~laura