Stepping Up

A couple of hours ago, the folks at Politico.com posted a piece on Mitt Romney, observing that he was sounding an awful lot like a 2012 presidential candidate at a recent event. I feel compelled to talk about it for a few minutes — but I’m a little tired (okay, a lot), so I cannot promise that what I want to say will actually be in English.

Now, I know that many conservatives have their misgivings about Mitt Romney and, believe me, I understand where they’re coming from. Still, everybody–misgivings or not–needs to let go of their skepticism for a moment and, at the very least, just listen.

As I’ve mentioned before, when Romney first began his bid for president in the obscenely long lead-up to last year’s election, I saw a starched-shirt and plastic-haired man who knew what he was supposed to say while running for the GOP nomination and spoke accordingly. I didn’t buy it at first, and that perception was driven and augmented by some of his pitfalls while running the People’s Republic of Massachusetts.

Over time, however, I saw in Mitt Romney a transformation. More accurately, I saw in Mitt Romney an awakening. It seemed to almost have happened overnight, and while his awakening was immediately recognizable to me, it was by no means quantifiable — and therefore is a little bit difficult to describe.

It reminded me about how, in the middle of a spirited political argument with someone, my own principles take over and I don’t have to search for words, for analogies, or for examples anymore. I love it when that happens — my breathing gets easier, my mind becomes more clear and effective, my focus sharp and my voice strong. In Romney, I saw what almost looked like a weight lifted off of his shoulders at a time when he should have been more burdened than ever. I saw a man who used to say what he needed to say, but then suddenly realized that what he was supposed to say, what he believed, and what the nation needed were all the very same thing.

Just like there are politicians on both sides of the aisle that I like, there are those that I dislike on both sides as well. In other words, it takes an awful lot more than simply mentioning Ronald Reagan in a sentence to get my attention and win my respect. Romney, to me, has become more and more impressive with each interview I see. When he talks–without a TelePrompTer, no less–I find the depth of knowledge he elicits extremely comforting in a time where comfort is scarce.

On my way home from class about three hours ago at about 10:15 p.m., for example, I found myself thinking about the unrest we’re seeing in London, about the anger, about the frustration, and about the cause. Forget for a moment that the turnout in London was significantly less than we’ve seen at tea party-type protests here at home (but with ten times the media coverage); instead, think about just how scary things could become worldwide should the global economy seem to continue in its current direction.

We need somebody with credibility, someone who has run a business, someone who knows how to turn around a troubled organization. Romney is doing exactly what he should be doing right now in this time of crisis — he’s spreading the message that there is a solution to this nightmare, and that it looks nothing like the unconstitutional drivel being put forth by the Obama administration.

Obviously, it’s far too early to even consider a vote for 2012. Still, as a conservative, I am delighted that somebody is standing up and, in the style of a likely challenger for the White House, spreading the conservative message as the tried-and-true cure to what ails our nation. As it so happens, that person right now is Mitt Romney.

I know there’s still a good deal of animosity out there. Romney, of course, really went at it with both John McCain and Mike Huckabee, and as a result many people in the corners of the latter two are still wary of the former governor. However, just like we need an all-of-the-above approach to achieving energy independence, the Republican Party needs an all-of-the-above approach to selecting the best possible nominee in 2012.

Comments

1. tm says:

While I think Romney was the better candidate this previous election. I know for a fact that he was the only republican candidate who came the closest to defeating the kennedy in Mass. I think it’s time the GOP went for an all out “female” ticket
    Bachmann, Palin … .etc it’s time to give the women in the party to shine out for a change. It’s time for a woman republican president. We need to be the party that makes history this time.

2. Bodenzee says:

Once again all I may get to choose is “the lease worst.” The one in Massachusetts who went after those holding professional licenses in an obscene way. He increased license fees many times, far more than it could cost to process and administer the licensing program. The issuance fees became taxes used to fund his social programs.

I feel his ethics are found under a cloud too.

Jeff: I need to do more research on Romney, but I do understand better what he truly believes…what his principles and values are, you know, when his back is up against the wall. You know, when people are so surprised about how Barry is “running this country”, I want to say that it should be no surprise if one would have looked at his past. That is usually a good rule of thumb when trying to figure out who the person REALLY is. But I will withhold judgement until I know more…I just don’t want another dem-lite and I DEFINITELY want a pro-life leader. Why don’t you spoon feed us some more in-depth info on Romney sometime soon. I feel like I can barely keep up with all of the current events research and grassroots efforts going on!
    Thanks for your great site. It is my favorite! Hope tests went well!

Lisa in TX

4. Pat in NC says:

I agree that we need someone who knows how to manage and lead. I believe that Mitt has those talents. I also believe that he is a moral man whose life as head of a family is to be emulated. His theology differs from mine but the principles he lives by are shared by many.

5. Laurie says:

WELL SAID … Jeff, tired or not you have what it takes. Another great write up and I could not agree more.

6. rrobin says:

Good points, Jeff, PLUS he’s an American natural born citizen, so he can actually, lawfully, qualify for the presidency.

As a citizen of the People’s Republic of Massachusetts, I find myself in complete agreement with your commentary. I watched Gov. Romney on Larry King (not typical viewing) and came away even more impressed with the man than I was before.

I was very disappointed last year at the political strategy of Gov. Huckabee, whom I believe was primarily responsible for the sinking of Gov. Romney. I suspect this was motivated not by political ideology but by religious ideology. I just think that not only will a Mormon ever be accepted by Evangelical Christians, many will actively seek to undermine such a candidacy, and I find this troubling.

Thomas

Stop trying to shove Romney down our thoats. I will fight to the end to keep that phony out of office. What you saw was not an awakening. It was another one of his charades. Actions speak louder than words, Jeff. If you could get over the love affair with Romney you’d see things more clearly. You could start by reviewing his RomneyCare and his clear liberal record as governor. Mitt Romney will never bring the Republican party together. He is part of the reason it is fractured. By the way he said he would not run for president again. Of course, that could be another one of his lies. He may run and then we’ll wind up with the same scenerio we had last time. A moderate winning the primary and then we’ll loose to Obama in 2012. For the good of true conservatives this plastic man needs to step aside and let someone who is REAL lead.

9. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN WAS RIGHT says:

I voted for Romney in the primary here in Tenn. but I gotta tell ya I need somebody to slap me because I see no hope in future elections with the ignorant electorate stacked against us…. compounded by ACORN fraud, and now it’s looking like amnesty for the illegals. We no longer stand a chance with all these people sucking on the government teat voting to sustain that mothers milk.

10. THEY WARNED US says:

There is NOTHING more refreshing than a long form birth certificate in the morning. Kudos to our founding fathers for foreseeing this fiasco…. too bad we ignored them.

The cult of Mormonism makes Mitt wholly unacceptable to the voters. I was fooled by John McCain(NBC violator) but will not be fooled again. Can the Republican party please send us someone who
    1. Respects life.
    2. Enforces the laws (all the laws including immigration)
    3. Has common sense to run the country as the bulwark against enemies and not as a piggy bank to fund jobs
    4. Has paid their taxes and lacks the hypocrisy that Democrats show on taxes.

12. sharon says:

I live in Michigan, and voted for Romney in the primary. I like him a lot and feel he is a true conservative. I really felt had nominated he could have won the presidency with MI an MA.. Now however is a different story. Regardless how anyone feels about the auto companies, he has hurt the state of MI with the continual call for bankruptcy and downgrading of the companies. He is not liked here now by either party. This state has taken a huge hit with untruths in the media and he has contributed to it.

He can not beat Obama because he is rich, and while the press put a pass on Obama’s muslim ties, they will not regarding Romney’s mormon faith, or his wealth even though he earned every bit of it. He is a smart man.

The state of MI is now seeing the strangle hold of big government and I will tell you that Wagoner is well liked her and did an incredible job with GM regardless of what the government or press states. The union workers are upset at his dismissal as well, and see the light in regard to the “power” of the federal government. We could possibly turn this state red if the momentum continues. I will tell you that in MI bankruptcy will hurt this state period..and Mitt has to know this or he is out of touch. Bankruptcy will help the auto industry retool absolutely, but will not help the grocery stores, gas stations, hair salons, mom and pop stores, dr. and dental offices, movie theaters, glass makers, suppliers,I can go on and on.

My problem with the union is the union bosses elite. They have led their members to follow a party that for years has chipped and whittled its way into control of the auto companies. You can campaign on being anti business all day long, but if the company is not making money no one does.

Mitt would be great in office I will agree, and we do need a business individual in that office. I know I beat this horse often, but a Palin/Romney ticket could win.

Palin is an individual like us. That is what we need in Washington. That woman would get the government back on track for the people and I can guarantee she would veto anything that did not have the best interest of the people at hand.. regardless of party.

Mitt should be talking about how the government for years has attempted to run the car companies and now they have succeeded, he should also be defending Wagoner but instead he is following the mantra that he ran it into the ground. Mitt knows this in not true, he has to know that. He was also on local news stating he agreed with the move that the president made. He has given up all hope in MI.

Let’s make this next election an election of THE PEOPLE, and not the media.

I trust NO ONE at this juncture. Especially anyone that the media is parading before us. The media acted irresponsibly in the past several elections. This past election being no exception, by holding back on all the issues surrounding the Resident of The United States that they are now using to lure us back in to get their ratings up.

ALL of these issues surrounding the Ursurper that are now surfacing were “out there” for all of the so called news stations to investigate and report on. Beck, Limbaugh, O’reilly, Hannity, Savage, Dobbs, all of ‘em CHOSE not to inform their viewers of the men behind the curtain, the shadow government. Now, they’re making big headlines out of these so called exposes.

Whomever steps into this position in 2012 better be ready for disaster. The global elite that pull the Presidential Puppet strings in this country will have their fangs dug deep into their necks way before the election. This is a GLOBAL issue now. We’re not in Kansas any more.

And, don’t even think about Jindal, the media’s new darling. He is NOT eligible to be PTOUS either. Neither of his parents were born here.

I will hang my hat on Ron Paul, who, at this point is the ONLY candidate, consistently honoring our Constitution and the common sense foreign policy our founders so brilliantly laid out for us.

Check the web for a list of past and present members of the CFR, the Trilateral Commission, WMF, The Bilderberg Group and last but not least the Federal Reserve. If potential candidates names appear on any of them, move on. That is, if we even have the opportunity to elect after this term.

Keep you eye on Bob Schultz. He’s creating a Continnental Congress as I write. This happened only one other time in our history as the country was being taken over by the same global elites. http://www.wethepeoplecongress.org/

14. sharon says:

One more note, unrelated… I just heard on local radio that Joe Biden may come to the final four in Detroit on Saturday.. bring it on !! you will here the federal government booed by 70,000 people. One big MO FO tea party in Detroit on national TV….. priceless….. I think the white house “party Czar” might want to do a little more research before sending him into a hostile enviornment.

15. La Muse Poetique says:

Response to anonymous who said he’ll fight Romney to the end.

How is Jeff shoving anything down our throats? You have the power and the right to stop reading. Jeff labeled this post clearly with what he was going to talk about. If you don’t like Romney, don’t read.

He isn’t holding you down and making you read it.

Just move on and wait for the next post.

Jeff, this is what a conservative sounds like.

17. Rick says:

When I heard Romney give his Faith in America speech at the Bush library, I realized that he is a man that understands the Constitution and what makes this country great. He was shafted by McCain in Florida by a vicious lie and double teamed by Huck and McCain in West Virginia. He was the candidate that would have beat Obama but he was not the Rep. establishment’s choice. I urge you all to watch his speech on youtube. Here is the link.

Let’s put this on the table for discussion. It is what people think, but perhaps afraid to say it. Voting for someone who belives the Book of Mormon is like voting for someone who would establish a religion around Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings”. The Book of Mormon has no historical or archaeological basis the way the Bible does. I cannot and will not vote for Romney. If Romney is the nominee this will be discussed in the media. You see what the media did to Palin. They will do this to Romney as well.
    (I somewhat doubt the moderator will post this.)

With Obama being, eh, himself, we might need to field a candidate long before 2012. At least I hope so.

20. Robert Wallace says:

Jeff-

The response I’m seeing to your Romney piece is depressing but not surprising. This ideological purity and detachment from real life is bad for the movement. We risk becoming the kind of echo-chamber we see on the left if we’re unwilling to be open to political leaders who don’t have an immaculate ideological pedigree.

Ronald Reagan – one of the strongest pro-life presidents we’ve ever had – signed a bill legalizing abortion in California before Roe. If we held him to the standard we’re holding Romney too – he would never have been elected. And where would that leave us now?

Romney is not perfect. We can either sit around waiting for a knight in shining armor to ride over the hill and rescue the movement, or we can work with the most articulate, experienced conservative we’ve got right now, and that’s Romney.

Don’t get me wrong – if that knight in shining armor arrives in 2012 I will vote for him (or her) over Romney. But in the meantime we have to decide what matters more to us:

1. the success of the conservative movement and the nation
    2. our own ideological sensibilities

The next president doesn’t need to be the perfect conservative. He or she just needs to be the best step in that direction.

(I’m leaving Mormonism out of this. I hope that’s not an issue.)

21. Josh says:

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.

This country will never get back to the greatness it once had if we keep electing and looking up to career politicians. The two main political parties we have today are one in the same. Each person they spit out at us will be no different than the one before or after.

I am a conservative that just changed my registered party affiliation from Republican to Independent. I get sick watching what the Democrats are doing to this country but the Republicans are rubbing salt in the wound. I love how they keep bringing bills to the table that would help the country and its citizens; but damn well know that they won’t get them passed due to their minority they have now. Why couldn’t they have done these things when they had the majority???

Unfortunately the best person to lead this country is someone that would never have an interest in doing so….

Anyone right now would be a breath of fresh air in comparison to Barry.

23. Linda says:

Well, I saw the writing on the wall early that McCain was not the proper candidate to win. Of course, I also saw that the “fix” was in and that you could have put Jesus Christ up against the current debacle and the debacle would have won. Nevertheless, I initially supported Romney and thought he would have been a better candidate. However, if Newt throws his hat in the ring (which he has said he would seriously consider), he would definitely get my support. The man knows what he’s talking about; he speaks facts and the truth; and he can cross party lines with his knowledge and, I believe rationally convince the sheeple about what is actually good for this country and them as individuals (that is if they want to listen and not just “baaaa” their way through life. If he runs, I firmly believe that because of those characters and what the American people (well, at least the awake ones) are starting to see, Newt would win by a huge margin. If he doesn’t want to run, Romney certainly would be an excellent choice. Judging by his frequent appearances, he seems to be posturing for a renewed candidacy. I also encourage everyone to watch Mike Huckabee’s show on Fox on Saturdays and Sundays. He is another who needs our attention, but he might be more well-served to do what he’s currrently doing and keep the public informed and on directed.

Whoever it might be (and God help us that we make it that far and still have elections in 2012) the candidate will need to be one with strong principles and facts, and a defined strategy with which to right this ship, which he/she is willing to lay at the feet of the American people.

I believe with the Romneys, the Gingrichs, the Generallys and the Jindals, we can turn this thing around. I just hope (damn, I hate using that word and vowed to remove it from my vocabulary) it’s not too late.

I represent a group of gunowners and have started a Second Amendment Alert email mailing keeping everyone apprised of the usurpation of our Second Amendment rights and, if Eric Holder has his way, the elimination of those rights. The response has been strong and we have been successful in quelling a recent ordinance that was going to be enacted to register ammunition in one of our local cities. Accordingly, I urge everyone to stay awake and pay attention to what’s going on. Write those letters, make those phone calls, send those emails. You may not think they’re listening, but there will come a point (in whatever form it takes) that they will have to listen.

We need someone who will reverse all this bills congress passed, every single one of them and get rid of the IRS and go to flat tax. If a rep. doesn’t go there, then they are the same as a Dem for me these days, the rep will just do what Obama is doing but slower. I’ve been a rep for over 25 years now and I’m done! If they do not stop our income from being taxed, get rid of the death tax, reverse loads of stupid PC bills then I won’t vote for one REP!

The only true way to take back america to our founding father’s and reverse all this insanity is to vote in a strict constitutional candidate.

25. tanarg says:

Let Romney run the CAMPAIGN of the next Republican candidate, but I don’t want him as president.

——–

If you will permit a slight intrusion here, the following may interest readers.

Have you seen this yet?

Thursday, April 02, 2009
    Forget the Queen… Obama Bows to Saudi King?

Proper protocol is to bow before the Queen of England.
    Barack didn’t do that… And, he shook her hand with 2 hands- another gaffe.

But, did he just bow to Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah?
    See picture at: http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/

26. Jay Garbarino says:

Jeff I like the efforts you put into research and appreciate your site, but I can not agree with you on Romney

27. Jeff Schreiber says:

If writing about Mitt Romney is “shoving it down your throats,” then I’ve also shoved down your throats the likes of Jim DeMint, Mark Sanford, and Mike Huckabee, among others.

I cannot stress it enough — right now, we are being given an opening. We need to exploit that opening. That means that we rally Republicans and conservatives and anybody who cares about our nation behind candidates (that’s plural) who can articulately exploit that weakness … the Democrats’ fiscal irresponsibility.

I’ll put something together on this in a few minutes, when I have time.

– Jeff

Jeff, Robert Wallace is right. He may as well have been responding to the comment I made this morning before coffee kicked in.

We want to trust the candidates for whom we vote, not to have the rug pulled out from under us as has happened with the occupant of the Oval Office.

The American People have been betrayed, and our feeling is that since the second coming of Christ–the only perfect person who has ever walked on this planet–will not be timely with the next presidential campaign. Therefore, we’re looking for the next best choice.

I am fed up with fighting Marxism, fascism, and socialism;and I think Patriots are, too.

Yes, Robert is right. We shall have to look at the candidates under a different light. But, as I said earlier, any candidate you endorse will be high (if not at the top) on my list.

I have nothing against Mitt Romney.

if the messiah keeps up @ destructive trends in 2 month “in god we trust” will be taken off of the american $

30. BlueWater says:

Personally, I like Romney, but between Huckabee, Dobson, and many mainstream Christians, he will have a near insurmountable hill to climb. Obama knew he needed to run as a Christian. Faith matters, and Mormonism isn’t a popular enough religion to get him through. He’ll be the media darling if every other candidate is a conservative Christian, and then they’ll destroy him and his faith if he wins. Jeff, I like your priorities, but this one is a lost cause.

31. Linda says:

Tanarg: That’s because he’s bowing before his Muslim superior. What an embarrassment to this country this radical is.

32. Dee says:

I was torn between Huckabee and Romney during the primary. I voted for Romney because of his business experience. I have to agree with some of the others here, that the other side will tear apart his religious beliefs. I remember everyone being concerned about JFK being a Catholic but in the end it didn’t matter. BO hasn’t declared a religion and said he would be looking for a church when he arrived in DC. He has yet to do that and I don’t think he has even been to church since he was sworn in. Apparently, finding a church is as difficult as finding a dog.
    I also think that Newt and Palin will be dragged through the mud for past mistakes, relationships with past presidents and any other thing that they can dig up. BO is already running for his second term.
    I do like DeMint, Jindel, and Judd. A fresh face would be helpful to the party. I worry that if Romney is out there too much before 2012 it will be old by then and lose luster.
    Thank you for a great blog and interesting commentators.

Romney is a moderate with conservative bias. Therefore, if he ran for election in 2012, he could appeal to both Democrats and Republicans because he’s an extremely competent leader, he’s ran a business, he comes from a liberal state, and he’s a fiscal conservative. He can attract both sides, while still retaining the core conservative values. This is why i know he’ll be a strong contender nation wide. Sure, he’s a mormon, but the Church of the Latter Day Saints preaches self-lessness and love just as much as any other church. Furthermore, i a friend who is mormon, and is expected to attend church every single morning. So i know the chances are high that if you’re mormon, you’ve probably got some epic dedication.

There won't be another Presidental election.

Don't be fooled by this false, MANIPULATED rebounding of the economy as reported in MSN. Hyperinflation will start soon, by fall the dollar will have collapsed, we'll all be broke and hungry, and indefinite martial law will be declared, enforced by all the foreign troops now in this country (plus whatever troops they're currently hiding from us).

Jeff, look up current U.S. laws regarding martial law, given to us by TRAITOR/Skull & Bones occultist/Bildeberger George W. Bush, and you'll see that Obama will be our new DICTATOR as head of our soon-to-be-empowered FEMA government.

If any of you are paying attention to all that's happening, you're currently amassing food, water, weapons/ammo, medicine, and HIDING THEM on your property or in a remote rural location where you can flee (if you have such a place). Whatever you do, don't let anyone give you vaccinations of ANY kind.

The Tribulation has either started or is about to, and God is giving us ample warning if we'll just pay attention.

35. CAL says:

If Romney would have been nominated, he would have won the presidency and the country would not be in this mess. Romney would have had so much credibility during the bail out fiasco back in the fall and Obama would have looked like amateur hour. The reason Romney can talk so freely about the economy is because he knows what he is talking about. He is a successful businessman. He speaks from experience and from confidence in his own abilities.
    Huckabee made some disgraceful comments about the Mormon religion, lied about Romney’s position on Iraq and then Huckabee threw his delegates behind McCain in West Virginia. So please do not rewrite history about the primaries and pass any blame onto Romney. That is why I think the republicans have Huckabee and McCain to thank for the mess we are in. This was a winable election.

Hi, Jeff.

I agree with those who want to focus on getting behind a strict constitutionalist (which, as I read it, mandates being pro-life) in 2012 rather than trying to identify someone who is attractive but wobbly on that issue. Romney’s problem is the unprincipled compromises he was willing to make to be competitive in one of, if not the, most liberal state in the union. In my opinion, that does not speak well for him because it makes one wonder if winning issn’t more important to him that his values (and his church’s).

I think that our chances are better if we concentrate on principles rather than winning. Get behind the right principles and values and let the winning take care of itself. It’s time to direct our efforts not on the 2012 race but the 2010 mid-term election when all of the representatives will be voted on. That is a race that we, as individuals, can make a big differnece in.

Old Bob

I will not agree with anyone who states that a republican could have won the election until votes are confirmed as valid and recounted. To say otherwise, does not add up to the big picture.

38. Robert Wallace says:

“Yes, Jeff…. but did you notice there was no upchucking when you mentioned DeMint and Sanford? There is good reason for that.”

“Notice also how many comments you got on this compared to your other posts. It seems people are pretty passionate about it, wouldn’t you say?”

So all of a sudden popularity trumps principle?

I didn’t see any facts that ruled Romney out. The abortion thing is a non-starter. As I’ve already pointed out: Romney’s record is MORE pro-life than Reagan’s was before he was elected president. I have yet to hear a single person explin why it’s a good idea to embrace a standard of ideological purity that would have exempted the Gipper himself.

If being conservative now means “Reagan is a loser” then I’m just no on board for that.

If you have more questions about Romney and abortion, read this: http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=Mzg4MDc0YjNlOTIzYTA0NmY0MTUwMWEyZTViYzRiY2U=

Jeff said:

Yes, Jeff…. but did you notice there was no upchucking when you mentioned DeMint and Sanford? There is good reason for that. Mitt is polarizing and for good reason. Others have expressed the reasons why so no reason to repeat it again. Like it or not, them’s the facts! Listen to your intelligent, independent-thinking readers!

For those who think Romney would have beaten Obama. No way. No how. The democrats were counting on him to either get the presidential nomination or the vice presidential nomination. They had all the ammo they needed to bring him down and will use it the next time around. This man is a phony. I watched him with my own eyes flip-flop … flip-flop… flip-flop. Never ever will I support this republican John Kerry. It has absolutely nothing to do with him being a Morman. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. It’s all about his liberal voting record and his “election year” conversions. He is not a conservative. He will say anything to get elected. I challenge every person who reads this to look at his record and prove to me that he is a conservative. Look at his record, Jeff. Stop ignoring it and stop trying to rewrite history to make him look like a conservative leader.

Has everyone forgotten Mike Huckabee? He has positive ideas and a grass roots organization to help elect conservative candidates across the country. HuckPac.com will give more info.

So all of a sudden popularity trumps principle?

Read Romney’s record. There is no principle.

Again, read Romney’s own words on abortion. You have not done your research. Republican National Coalition for Life is against Romney. They issued a report on this. Go to the Mass. Republicans for Truth website. It’s all there. Romney’s own words are why I will never support him. This is a crazy discussion when you can read it as it came straight from Romney’s lips. The man voted to ban guns. He lied about being a life-long hunter and NRA member. The only thing consistent about this man is that he’s inconsistent.

It’s really helpful to have all these folks sort things out for me!

Thanks, y’all!

(I’m laughing and don’t know why!) I’m serious, though. You people know your own politicians and share your knowledge with us.

Met Romney last night at a dinner. He gave a great speech, and it is very bright in personal and conversation. He is not an empty suit delivering rhetoric from a teleprompter. There is real substance there. He should be in the white house right now. If he was, he wouldn’t be spending like a drunken sailor.

45. goddessdivine says:

Great piece. I can’t help but think we’d be in much better shape if Romney were in the White House right now instead of what we’ve got. Flip flops aside (which politicians don’t?), you have to look at his success in the public and private sector and know that this guy can get it done. Oh, and he knows a little about finances and economics……something that seems to have completely escaped this current administration.

Romney completely supported the orignial bailout last fall. I don’t call that success in finances or economics. I guess he doesn’t understand so well afterall.

I too think it is time to have a woman on the ticket…..I like Mike Huckabee and Sarah Palin….two down to earth people who want to reform government and the tax code….both would do the RIGHT THING for the country and its citizens…neither are in government for the power or the money!! HUCKABEE/PALIN in 2012!!!

48. Lynn W. says:

Response to "CAL", who said:
    >>McCain and Huckabee teamed up against Romney and thus we lost our best chance of beating Obama.<<

Ummm….excuse me? How did Huckabee "team up" against Romney? The shoe was quite on the other foot. Romney is the one who ran ferocious attack ads against both McCain and Huckabee.

CAL said: >>Huckabee made some disgraceful comments about the Mormon religion,<<

FACT: The ONLY thing Huckabee said was not disgraceful at all…it was TRUE. He was being asked a lot of questions by a NYT reporter. Finally Huckabee said, "Don't they [Mormons] believe that Jesus and Satan are brothers?"

In point of fact, the LDS website DOES teach that. Look it up! Consider this, from www. LDS.org, the official website of the Mormon church:

********************************
    >>"How can Jesus and Lucifer be spirit brothers when their characters and purposes are so utterly opposed?

[by] Jess L. Christensen, “I Have a Question,” Ensign, June 1986, 25–26

"Jess L. Christensen, Institute of Religion director at Utah State University, Logan, Utah. On first hearing, the doctrine that Lucifer and our Lord, Jesus Christ, are brothers may seem surprising to some—especially to those unacquainted with latter-day revelations. But both the scriptures and the prophets affirm that Jesus Christ and Lucifer are indeed offspring of our Heavenly Father and, therefore, spirit brothers. Jesus Christ was with the Father from the beginning. Lucifer, too, was an angel “who was in authority in the presence of God,” a “son of the morning.” (See Isa. 14:12; D&C 76:25–27.) Both Jesus and Lucifer were strong leaders with great knowledge and influence. But as the Firstborn of the Father, JESUS WAS LUCIFER'S OLDER BROTHER. (See Col. 1:15; D&C 93:21.) [emphasis added]
    **********************************

Here is the link–check it out! Huckabee was RIGHT:

CAL said: "…and then Huckabee threw his delegates behind McCain in West Virginia."

I'm sorry, CAL, but you do not have your facts straight at all. Quit posting the inaccurate talking points you've collected from other blogs. We all became more than tired of them during the primaries, especially when we saw the same comments copied-and-pasted on several different websites.

But the most important thing is: We don't like Romney BECAUSE HE CHANGES HIS POSITIONS AND LIES ABOU THEM.

Can you hear me now? Sorry to shout, but it seems no matter what we say, Romney folks keep trying to paint anyone against Romney as a bigot. I'm more than tired of that, too.

Don't look at the candidates' physical appearance… or their smooth words…. or their rhetoric. Look at the RECORD because it can't lie!!

I agree that we need someone who can GOVERN and LEAD with character, integrity and vision. I just DISAGREE about WHO that man is. I see Governor Huckabee emerging as the candidate who won’t be beat in 2012! He has done (and is doing) EVERYTHING right by being consistent, outspoken, authentic and revoluntary in his platforms! He is not waiting for Washington to embrace him (that wont happen…and I think that will be a GOOD thing.) That former pastor thing, OLD NEWS. He has his own venue for getting his message out with HUCKABEE on FOX and his ABC radio broadcast done Monday-Friday. Just as Ronald Reagan did, Huckabee will emerge as the greatest communicator AND leader and he will be our guy in 2012!