Crash Test Dummy

GM CEO Resigns at Obama’s Behest
(FROM: Politico)

So, the American president is now essentially terminating a private sector chief executive? Hello? Doesn’t this raise a red flag for anybody? Anybody?

I don’t care that Wagoner probably should go. I don’t care that General Motors is in the need of radical changes from within, or that such changes can really only come from failure. I don’t even care about the argument that personnel adjustments should come in companies which take taxpayer money. Simply put, I care that the very top chief executive in a seminal American industry was constructively discharged by the president of the United States.

Hear that sound? That was the sound of the founders of this nation, imperfect men who founded America on the foundation that hers would be a limited government, as they rolled in their graves.

Comments

1. Crystalf says:

You are so right! This is really a shocking development!

2. sharon says:

I am very disturbed about this. In my lifetime I have never seen this nor thought it could happen. Wagoner is a good guy and terrific CEO. I am in Michigan and know first hand. His treatment in the press and by Washington is unfounded. A sad era for all of business today.

Good read Jeff.

Obama has no clue what to do with GM. The UAW is jerking his chain. But bama is on a massive power trip.

I remember in the days of Billary, stories from White House staff about the lamps flying across the rooms.

I wonder what stories are going on now. This guy must be insufferable to be around.

I am scared at how much freedom we have had grabbed from us so quickly. I am shocked by how many people believe it is a good thing.

Belief that the gov’t is the answer for everything and the acceptance of that answer has me more than afraid for not only the country, but if freedom will exist next yr!!

Capitalism is being destroyed, gov’t is corrupt, environmental whackos are gaining control, hard-workers are being targeted,and I am left wanting to emigrate somewhere.

My first thoughts were exactly the same as yours…get out of my head! Hah!
    Andrew

My apologies for needing to sign this as "anonymous."

GM may be just the beginning…

Something to keep a watch on….a major CWA contract at AT&T expires midnight 4/4/09. If there is a strike, I wonder how long the strike will go on before the POTUS intervenes?

7. Bodenzee says:

Rick Wagoner sat atop a bloated company. He didn’t create the cotre problem, many of his predecessors and the out-of-control unions did. Did he fix the problem fast enough? Could it be fixed? I think not. The bankruptcy process should have been allowed to try.

Could Barry fix it? Certainly not. His currency is that of the huckster and purveyor of purple Kool-Aide. Nothing real.

I didn’t think he, aided by the non-thinkers that today populate this nation, could destroy this nation in the few years I have left but now I am not so sure. I really fear for my children’s and grandchildren’s future.

Socialism isn’t coming; it is here and it’s on steroids.

AMEN!

Sally

If Obama’s budget and the Copenhagen proposal both pass, then life as we as Americans have enjoyed is over.

Manufacturing jobs will be forced overseas, high paying jobs will be taxed zealously, people with nice homes will be vilified…….

Thus falls the Republic.

The day that Pelosi wrote to GM and Chrysler to remind them of the February 17 deadline for submitting their paperwork for the bailouts, I wrote to them to ask that they not accept the money because they would be subject to control. GM replied to the letter and said that they were accepting it. I never heard from Chrysler. GM later sent me a copy of their press release on the subject to explain how they would be a viable corporation.

Five days later, GM was crying again because it needed more money.

Well, I hate to say I told him so, but he should have known better anyway.

WAKE UP, all you business owners and corporations! Get your act together because we do not have a free enterprise-friendly administration. If you are too big to fail, the government will take you down! Those power-hungry Marxists cannot read the Constitution. They think that if they pass a law, that’s it! Executive Orders are to fill in the gaps between the paragraphs of the Constitution.

I love the crash test dummy graphic for this story. That’s funny–well the story isn’t, but the graphic is.

I am livid!

Does anyone in the Obama administrtion know anything about how corporations (and the free market) are supposed to work? They never should have (nor probably would have if it weren’t for union pressure) gotten involved in the process to begin with. Bankruptcy was the correct free-market mechanism for restructuring these companies. Now the government is so involved that Obama has become unofficially the chairman of the board of directors.

That whole scheme of things worked out so well in the USSR, didn’t it? The next announcement will be to name an Obama-appointed government overseer to take up residence at GM (with the assitance of Gettlefinger, the union boss, I’m sure).

And to make sure the whole thing works, vis-a-vis the “transplants” (Honda, Subaru, Nissan, Toyota, BMW, MB, and soon, VW), they will be made or “organize” thier labor force or face punitive taxation and/or business restrictions.

It doesn’t help that I just finished reading “New Deal or Raw Deal”. What a sleaze bag FDR was, and the Obama administration is following almost perfectly in his footsteps.

On nuts – why rant and rave about this slide (or might it better be called “headlong rush”) into socialism? What’s that old saying – something about laying back and enjoying it?

Old Bob

13. Queen Bee says:

This is actually the beginning of a true Marxian takeover of the United States of America. It began with Obama's stimulus bill & budget, this is the next piece, and soon it will be healthcare as well.

Obama is the guy who says “Why follow laws of morality or decency when you can solve your problem by sacrifice?”

He is the guy who, through fornication or rape, impregnates a girl and then kills her and his off-spring so he doesn’t have to support them.

That a guy who used legislative authority to legalize the killing of children as they are being born, would now throw a man under a bus to save his falling approval rating, does not surprise me at all.

Week #1 he sacrificed innocent children.
    Week#2 he sacrificed the future of two generations.
    Week#3 he sacrificed Rush.
    Last week he sacrificed Liddy, a heroic volunteer.
    This week he is sacrificing GM’s CEO.
    Next week, I hope he resigns.

An auto repair shop woke me this morning to say my part had come in. Not my part, not my name.

An hour later another woman called for Linda. (This is now the second call I’ve gotten for her.) The woman had the prefix wrong in the phone number. I asked if Linda would be having an auto part on order. “I’m sure she would.” “Well, would you tell her that they called me to let me know it was in?” She laughed and assured me she would tell Linda. How ironic is that? (I just hope she’s not driving a GM product.)

What do you think it will take to make people realize what is happening??? Every day I have chills up and down my spine (not up my leg) when I see more and more of this agenda being revealed.
    It is not just ONE thing, it is the entire ‘plan’ that is coming to fruition. This excerpt from an article I read says it all: ” It’s simple. Obama is not a patriot, he is an internationalist. He is firmly committed to seeing the US as just another part of a world government. But the American people will never accept that as long as we are the strongest nation in the world. Obama is in the process of weakening us from within, so that eventually he can generate enough fear to make us accept domination by the handful of powerful people who plan to run the world.” His regime is trying to stop the Tea Parties so don’t be shocked if some are cancelled. We are in the midst of a crisis generated by our own government and we MUST realize where we are headed before it is too late. I pray the true patriots of this nation will rise up and with God’s help, stop this INSANITY! Thank you again for your insight and your courage.

17. Mick says:

Wall Street is taking notice. Down over 200 points. The fact that these arrogant egotists think they can tell private enterprises what to do is chilling. It is a Blasphemous negation of the principles of the constitution. When are we marching on Washington demnding the end to the Usurper’s rule? Power to the People!!

18. USSA says:

What goes around, comes around. Barry will soon be asked to resign, with plenty of Constitutional evidence that HE MUST.

19. MR GOVTWRENCH says:

Now while you wait to get through DMV you can leave your car at the Govt shop to get warrantied repairs. Yeh, right.

verification word: reckles
    THIS WHOLE IDEA ID RECKLESS !

This does raise a red flag, just look at the market today. As of 2:30 down some 300 points.

At 3:01 p.m., Dow is down 331 points. Keep talking, Obama; we may bottom out by the end of the day (if it goes the way you want it).

“I am going to do this” and I am going to do that.” What happened to the People’s government, Obama?

22. TO MARKET WATCHERS says:

SELL SELL SELL

23. PATRICK HENRY says:

As for ME, give me LIBERTY or give me DEATH. Seriously.

24. THE HOMER MOBILE says:

There was an episode of The Simpsons where Homer was put in charge of his long lost brothers automobile design and production. This is what is going to happen with ‘Uncle Sam’ in the car manufacturing business. It’s an episode worth tracking down and watching. We are doomed America. Jeff, see if you can get some clips or frames from it to post as a story.

25. RATHER HAVE A BM THAN BUY GM says:

GM – Government Muckup

26. HOMER DESIGNS A CAR says:

To Jeff:

Herbert “Herb” Powell, voiced by Danny DeVito, is Homer’s half-brother. He resembles Homer, though a lot slimmer and boasting a full head of hair. His first appearance was in the season two episode “Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?”, in which Homer discovered he had a previously unknown half-brother as his mother insisted on concealing his existence. Herbert was the product of a short-lived affair between Homer’s father, and a carnival prostitute. He put himself through college by working odd jobs, then founded Powell Motors, a car company based in Detroit. Herb was overjoyed to learn that he had a birth family and bonded with his nieces and nephew, and — in his role as CEO — allowed Homer to design a car. However, the miserable failure of Homer’s car bankrupted the company, and Herb became a street vagrant. The episode was written by Jeff Martin but the idea of having Herb voiced by Danny DeVito had been pitched by Sam Simon. Some were upset with the sad ending of the episode, and as a result the producers decided to write a sequel.

Herb re-appeared the next season in “Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes?”, and briefly settled in the Simpson household, despite his intense continuing antipathy toward Homer. Homer loaned Herb $2000, which Herb used to build an invention that translated infantile speech into comprehensible English, based on observations he made of Maggie. He proceeded to mass-produce his new product and regained his fortune. He then proceeded to buy each member of the family gifts and paid Homer back with a vibrating chair, along with his forgiveness.

LOL funny! Sam

Every business person I saw said the same thing when this auto bail-out first came up. Let them go bankrupt and reorganize because if you give them money 2 things will happen: they will need more and they will go bankrupt anyway wasting the taxpayers money. Guess they were 100% correct. Our elected officials are totally to blame for this horrific waste of our hard earned money. We screamed, emailed, called in protest to no avail. Most of them should be recalled and replaced. What a nightmare and now OB gets to fire private businessmen? He crossed a line no other Pres. had the nerve or the lack of ethics to do before him. He will continue to do whatever he pleases because he can and no one will stand in his way. He know it because he’s been doing it since he started to campaign completely devoid of a conscience. He’s also spending alot of big bucks on his little jaunt to the G20. Taking about 500 people, 200 of which are simply guests, on our dime. Hope you have fun watching him party our money away. He needs to be impeached.

28. goddessdivine says:

Capitalism died today. Yes, it was on its last leg, gasping for air; but life support was cut off and terminated with one swift move. I mourn its loss. Tis a sad day in America indeed.

Simply put, we must put a stop to this nonsense.

JV