Absolute Power to Corrupt Absolutely

By Rick Saunders & Jeff Schreiber
America’s Right

Well, the Obama/Geithner kamikaze pirouette continues, and with each passing day the dance is looking more and more like something from the cutting room floor at the Bolshoi in Moscow. As in the Moscow in Russia, not Idaho.

Yesterday, Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner floated the spectacularly breathtaking notion to the House Financial Services Committee that the Treasury Department (a.k.a. “Toxic Tim’s Sandbox”) should be given sweeping and unprecedented–not to mention probably unconstitutional–new powers to regulate (Obamaspeak for “subjugate”) and even take over (Obamaspeak for “seize”) private financial and other businesses whose “too big to fail” size would make their collapse a perceived threat to the entire economy. With the now-expected help of TOTUS, President Obama chimed in, adding that he hopes “it doesn’t take too long to convince Congress” of the need for such expansive powers.

Really?

So what we now have, on the heels of (1) an Obama ten-year budget black hole plan which would suck the life out of the faltering economy and drive the deficit to at least $9.3 trillion with annual deficits that even Obama’s Budget Director, Peter Orszag, concedes are “not sustainable,” (2) a populist AIG bonus scandal facilitated, if not engineered, by administration officials through one of their many senatorial flacks on the Hill, Connecticut Democrat Chris Dodd, and (3) an Obama-inspired “stimulus” bill that seems to be having exactly the opposite effect is a proposal for pre-nationalizing the economy. That is a characteristic of socialistic and communistic regimes and is likely NOT what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they created this Republic.

Hence what Minnesota Republican Congresswoman Michele Bachmann said in the video clip above about the “lurch” toward socialism. It was Bachmann, by the way, whose questions yesterday about constitutionality were ducked and dodged by Geithner as though he were George W. Bush facing a size 10 Iraqi loafer.

Last night, The Chosen One followed up on Geithner’s trial balloon by noting to reporters at the White House: “We are already hard at work in putting forward a detailed proposal. We will work in consultation with members of Congress. That will be just one phase of a broader regulatory framework that we’re going to have to put in place to prevent these kinds of crises from happening again.”

Quick point: whenever Obama says he will be working “in consultation with members of Congress,” he means “I will twist the arms of any Democrat who doesn’t see it my way–and don’t think I won’t use Rahm and his Taser if I have to–but I will ignore the concerns of the Republicans because [flash the megawatt smile] I won . . . and their guy didn’t.”

How quintessentially presidential. How on Earth did the Republic survive so long without this guy?

Obama’s idea of negotiation, of course, is that you come to his position and all will be well, but if you think his position will change and move closer to yours–as in “compromise” or “give”–you are probably indulging in a controlled substance. Think of the process this way — it’s akin to Nancy Pelosi’s assurance when she ascended to the position of Speaker of the House that the relationship with President Bush and her fellow congressmen would be one of “partnership, not partisanship.” Yeah, that one’s workin’ out really well, don’tcha think?

Democrat Congressman Barney “Freddie’s Fannie is Basically Sound” Frank, the committee chairman, supplemented Obama’s remarks by adding that “when nonbank [sic] major financial institutions need to be put out of their misery, we need to give somebody the authority to do what the FDIC can do with banks.” Now, a cynic might be tempted to observe that there are some things in this country that are more in need of being euthanized than “nonbank major financial institutions.” Frank even elicited from Fed Chairman Bernanke that these powers, to be effective, would likely need to extend to private institutions regardless of whether they were the recipients of federal bailout monies.

Point: when Barney Frank suggests that some sweeping new powers need to be engrafted onto Toxic Tim’s biceps “when nonbank major financial institutions need to be put out of their misery,” he is really saying that “anything we, the omniscient Democrats in Congress can do, because we run the table, to facilitate the destruction of capitalism in order to speed the redistribution of the wealth and the creation of a combo Zimbabwe/worker’s paradise here–as long as it is not homophobic–we will do.” Not that it matters to Obots like Frank, be they straight or be they gay, but the mechanism for which he seems to be groping, albeit clumsily, is not nationalization and has been around for years. It is called bankruptcy.

Ah, but bankruptcy is too slow, too uncertain and too dependent upon analysis and logic dispensed by people in that “other” inferior appendage of the government, judges schooled in bankruptcy law. Besides, to quote Obama from the opening days of his administration: “We won.”

Hey, if the Treasury Department is given the powers that Geithner and Obama are seeking–again, ignoring those pesky constitutional questions, an arabesque which is becoming a hallmark characteristic of the Obama administration–actions could be taken on a moment’s notice to seize and nationalize those terrible “nonbank” major financial institutions. Surely, there’s no problem investing trust in Geithner to decide which companies are healthy and not healthy, which companies pose a threat to the economy as a whole. So what that he essentially pleaded ignorance to tax cheating allegations, claiming that that he couldn’t handle TurboTax?

Although, in all honestly, what’s going on here is much, much deeper than Timothy Geithner. As Treasury Secretary, Geithner isn’t supposed to weigh constitutional aspects of his authority — his job is to carry out that authority granted to him by those in Congress, elected officials which took an oath to protect and defend the United States Constitution. That was the brilliance in Michele Bachman’s interaction with Geithner yesterday; Bachmann wasn’t looking necessarily to embarrass Geithner, who couldn’t point to provisions in the Constitution which would back up the authority he was given . . . by asking those questions, Bachmann was rightfully and effectively excoriating those in Congress who have been advocating the abrogation of our founding principles.

Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution provides Congress with limited powers, but controlling businesses, buying and selling assets, renegotiating and repudiating existing contracts are not among them. Even the potential argument that these expanded powers are “necessary and proper” to carry out the enumerated powers in Article I, Section 8 would be unfounded, as the authority and likely consequences would run afoul of not only the limitations on ex post facto government action in Article I, Section 9, but also the inherent limitation in government interference in private business as well as the Fifth Amendment restriction against “taking,” confiscatory action through which private property is taken without just compensation.

As much as any constitutional criticism will likely be passed on to Geithner, the inevitable whipping boy when things go further south, the real dereliction of duty is on the part of the congressional Democrats who abandoned the Constitution in the first place.

As previously noted here, Hugo Chavez, el presidente of Venezuela and a big fan of nationalization of private businesses, has called upon Obama to forge ahead on the road to socialism. With Geithner’s testimony yesterday, it could be argued that Obama is taking that advice to heart. Heck, even Sweden is telling us to slow down in terms of our path to socialism.

One thing is certain — if the species of “changes” that Obama is proposing, both himself and through surrogates like Geithner, is any indication of what the future holds for the nation, it is a bleak and dark one indeed. Very bleak. Very dark. And Tim Geithner’s proposal to seize private enterprise if he deems it in the best interests of the economy is but one more glimpse into the nation’s problematic future. So, to reiterate a point made a few days ago here at America’s Right, this nation now more than ever needs a lot more statesmen and a lot fewer politicians. With apologies to Lord Acton: “Power corrupts, but absolute power in the hands of government is tyranny.”

—————
Rick Saunders is a freelance writer who splits his time between endeavors in southern California and the American southwest. He began writing for America’s Right in December 2008. Jeff Schreiber started America’s Right in January 2008.

Comments

1. INCOMING ! says:

PLEASE, Korea, send that missile to Washington.

2. REBOOT AMERICA says:

Government is the negation of FREEDOM.

3. MISSING MY BETSY says:

DUMBEST thing I ever did was sell my AR15 back in 94.

4. KISS ME FIRST says:

Barney is in heaven, he has gotten the ENTIRE COUNTRY to bend over.

Anyone catch this re: attorney Stephen Pidgeon?:

Excuse me, but I was under the impression that Obama taught Constitutional law. Excuse me again, but I thought Obama took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

So, what happens when the man in the Oval Office violates his oath and knowingly seeks to destroy the Constitution by advocating a grab of power specifically prohibited by the Constitution?

And, not to be unkind, but what the hell would Geithner do with those businesses if he got his tax-cheating hands on them? Anything on the up and up, do you suppose? (I have some swampland for sale if you said “yes.”)

Time to write more letters!

Sean Hannity is having a pure stroke over this!

8. GEORGE WASHINGTON says:

You, the people, need to stop this.

Great article guys but I really don’t think it has sunk into the minds of the masses what is happening. I would never have believed that the American people would sit still for this and yet some still seem oblivious! I wish everyone would listen to the British member of Parliament who addressed Gordon Brown…it is on American Thinker under “If Republicans Had Any Guts”….God, if only we had statesmen who would stand up and speak the truth to this bunch of idiots! Maybe the Brits are ready to have their own ‘tea party’…Tim Geithner has the audacity to ask for more power when he should be run out of town on a rail along with the rest of these hypocrites.

10. JOHN RICH'S WORDS TO INSPIRE says:

My daddy taught me in this country everyone’s the same
    You work hard for your dollar and you never pass the blame,
    When it don’t go your way
    Now I see all these big shots whining on my evening news,
    About how their losing billions and it’s up to me and you
    To come running to the rescue
    Well pardon me if I don’t shed a tear
    There selling make believe
    And we don’t buy that here.

Because in the real world their shuttin’ Detroit down
    While the boss man takes his bonus
    Paid jets on out of town
    DC’s bailing out them bankers
    As the farmers auction ground
    Yeah while there living up on Wall Street
    In that New York City town
    Here in the real world their shuttin’ Detroit down
    Here in the real world their shuttin’ Detroit down

Well that old man’s been working
    In that plant most all his life
    Now his pension plan’s been cut in half
    And he can’t afford to die
    And it’s a crying shame, cus he ain’t the one to Blame
    When I looked down to see his calloused hands
    Well let me tell you friend it gets me fightin’ mad

Cause in the real world their shuttin’ Detroit down,
    While the boss man takes his bonus
    Paid jets on out of town
    DC’s bailing out them bankers
    As the farmers auction ground
    Yeah while there living up on Wall Street
    In that New York City town
    Here in the real world their shuttin’ Detroit down
    Yeah while there living up on Wall Street
    In that New York City town,
    Here in the real world their shuttin’ Detroit down
    Here in the real world their shuttin; Detroit down,
    In the real world their shuttin’ Detroit down
    Their shuttin’ Detroit down.

These are amazing articles. Can you set up a way to link to other sites and email them directly. Thanks.

The Congress can pass a law that every citizen has to spend a day licking Obama’s shoes clean, and all we will do is filling Internet with toothless protests. It is about time for Americans to dust off those wonderful tools that brought forth the Constitution – yes, I mean torches and pitchforks, and yes, it will soon be late when the 1nd Amendment is repealed, castrated into oblivion, or just swept away by the King Obama the First’s royal decree.

I sense the broad middle of the citizenry–people who don’t eat and breathe politics–beginning to stir and rise. What’s going on in DC is so outrageous and extreme that even folks who don’t watch the news every day or read blogs like this one are really beginning to notice, and they don’t like it. Meanwhile, the hardcore Obots (Obamarhoids I call them) are getting mean; they can sense that the winds have changed direction a bit. Their sarcasm and mockery seems a little too strained suddenly, too apprehensive.

What is the spark that will set off the explosion? Excessive taxation, of course, not to mention spiraling inflation and eventually rising interest rates. Hit people in their wallets, hurt their families and their hopes and dreams, and they will notice. Just ask the ghosts of that incident in Boston Harbor way back when.

But we’re not just talking tea parties here. We’re talking about throwing the bums out in 2010 and then reloading for 2012. A lot of damage will have been done, but IMHO almost all of Obama’s acts and initiatives can be reversed, albeit at considerable cost in money and time. BTW, it really, really drives the Obamarhoids crazy when I point that out! Try it for yourself sometime.

JV

14. SCREW CIVILITY says:

I’ve sent my congressman an email to go to hell, have you?

15. tm says:

The teleprompter in training dear chairman is totally bypassing socialism
    We are now full throttle FASCISM

FASCISM:
    A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.

Yes, the power grab is on folks!
    Among the most frightening of all is HR 1388: The Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act (GIVE Act) that has passed the House. This, in effect, will recruit our children as young as secondary school into mandatory volunteer “service-learning” programs across the nation. Read the bill for some very frightening prospects (thomas.loc.gov…and type the full name of the act). It’s basically the beginnings, I believe, of Obama’s Citizens Security Force.
    Here are the Republican Senators who are supporting it:
    Sen. John McCain (202) 224-2235
    Sen. John Cochran (202) 224-5054
    Sen. Wicker (202) 224-6253
    Sen. Gregg (202) 224-3324
    Sen Hatch (202) 224-5251
    Sen. Isakson (202) 224-3643
    Sen. Snowe (go figure…207-786-2451)
    Please, if you have time, call their offices and tell them that you are opposed to statism in the name of charity, indoctrination of our children by forced volunteerism, drafting, and using taxpayer money to fund this control over the masses by the government!

I am heartsick over these expenditures as well as the attitude of the RATS. I don’t want to pay for this and I don’t want this Country to devolve into the state Britain is in.
    A noose isn’t good enough for any of these people, I want a reckoning.

18. goddessdivine says:

Ok. Kinda off topic–but that picture of Barney Frank nearly had me spitting out my beverage. Classic.

19. ARE THOSE BLACK SUV's? says:

Honestly, agents, it’s really just my sense of humor, now get the frick outta my house.

March 25 FOX ran a clip of Maxine Walters questioning Geithner. She wanted him to verify that his CEO was Goldman Sachs. Geithner's eyes bugged out, he looked like a deer caught in the headlights. FOX commented that when Maxine Walters asks that kind of question, you are finished. Then one of the commentators mentioned that both Republicans and Democrats have spoken of a Kabal conspiracy.

The NYT reported, on 9/28/08 that AIG was Goldman's largest trading partner and a collapse threatened to leave a hole of $20 billion in Goldman's side. Paulson, the Treasury Secretary until November, is the former head of Goldman. By his own admission, he asked for the largest sum that he thought he could railroad out of congress.

On a different note, Obama's ballerina boy, Rham, was paid over $300,000 for nothing more than holding a title at Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac.

He should be required to pay that money back, with interest. So should Paulson & Co.

21. Dee says:

I too loved the picture of Barney. I only wish it had been set to music so I could watch him dance.

22. cher-pa says:

Anonymous 10:42,
    Thank you for the phone numbers of the Republican senators who are willing to sell out our children.I called them all and expressed my thoughts in a kind but stern manner.Everyone needs to do the same let them know we are watching them.

cher-pa,
    And thank you for taking the time to do that!!!! I feel the same way, as I have a child of my own as well, and it’s frightening legislation. I called them also. Sen. Wicker and Sen. Hatch have staff members that were very rude, condescending, and one actually chewed food in my ear and laughed when I said it amounted to indoctrination and forced drafting of our children. She said, while laughing as though I am an idiot, “It’s not mandatory”. I said, “Well, maybe while you’re eating, you can look up the bill for yourself and see just exactly what it says”. (that was Sen. Hatch’s staffer) Then, at Sen. Wicker’s office, a woman actually hung up on me in mid-sentence, as I was trying to tell her I wasn’t finished talking, which amounted to all of 20 seconds, and transferring me to a comment voice mail. I was talking, and she interrupted and said in a very rude way, that I was going to have to leave my comment on voice mail. Not only was it rude in tone, it was said as though I was just another one of the ignorant masses that is actually bothering and annoying her. Now, I want to point out, as you did, I was firm and polite, at first, but after receiving that attitude, I did respond with an attitude in return. I mean, to call and express my right to an opinion and get that kind of behavior only deserved for them to know it wasn’t appreciated and I am not THEIR SERVANT…THEY SERVE US!!!!And, I did call back to tell her, “What you did is exactly why people are having a problem with politicians. That attitude you have. You work for us!” You know what she said? Seriously…she said with an arrogant attitude…”No, mam’!” Wow…what a grand display of etiquette and education that these so-called refined Republicans displayed. Typical Beltway Bubble arrogance…typical of the turncoats within that party!!! The others, I will say for credit’s sake, were very polite and gracious enough to listen, and thanked me for calling, and I thanked them for listening. They may not agree, but at least they had some manners.

Bwaney Fwank only wishes he could be as slim as he looks in that picture.

JV

25. Ian Thorpe says:

Referring to another post Jeff, I told you so :-)

The next time a shyster politician like blair or Obama looks like sweeping to power by talking evangelically about “change” as it is it the magic word that makes all problems disappear, we should remember that change is not always for the better.

But I’ve been saying this for over twenty years.

26. cher-pa says:

Anonymous 1:02,
    Sorry to hear you were treated with such disrespect.I just got off the phone with Senator Wickers Jackson Mississippi office and the Republican party of Mississippi.They were informed of the rude treatment that Senator Wickers D.C. office was giving to concerned citizens.I did the same thing at Senator Hatch’s office.sometimes we just have to go a little higher up the food chain to get our voices heard!

27. nancy says:

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Betty