Names Have Been Changed to Protect the Ignorant

Pentagon to refer to ‘Overseas Contingency Operation’ in place of ‘Global War on Terror’

Oh boy, am I relieved that it’s over. Given that we were fighting such a determined enemy–fundamentalist Islam–I wouldn’t have guessed that those committed terrorists would emerge from their caves so darned quickly, white flags and all.

What’s that? The terrorists didn’t surrender? We’re just changing the name of the Global War on Terror? Oh. Well, that makes perfect sense.

It makes sense because this administration’s detente-at-all-costs approach to national security and foreign policy is dangerously rooted in political correctness and places the outward superficial perception of the United States of America ahead of the safety and security of the American people. While changing the name of the “Global War on Terror” to “Overseas Contingency Operation” may not in itself keep Americans like you and me safer, it is the perception of weakness and lack of commitment which strengthens the resolve and emboldens those who dream of our destruction. Rest assured — while the American mainstream press may downplay such a terminological transition over the next day or two, these will be red-letter days in the caves and camps across the Middle East where terrorists are trained to carry out jihad.

It also makes sense because the Democrats on Capitol Hill realize the lack of substance to their superficial ideas, and can only resort to changing the name of floundering policies rather than actually working to solve the underlying problem in question. Nobody, for example, wants to buy “toxic assets” so Tim Geithner decides to change the name to “legacy assets.” Similarly, rather than acknowledge the most dangerous threat to our national security, the very same ignorant woman who earlier this month did her best “Baghdad Bob” impression and said that violence in Mexico has yet to cross over the border into America (Homeland Security Director Janet Napolitano) sidelined the term “terrorism” in favor of the more nebulous “man-caused disaster.” And for years, of course, Democrats have referred to “undocumented workers” instead of “illegal immigrants” because their laissez-faire approach to illegal immigration doesn’t seem quite as palatable to an American public reminded that these people are, in fact, here illegally.

All image. No substance. How many times did we say that about candidate Barack Obama last year? Now, those of us who dared to simply point out the obvious look like Nostradamus.

Of course, some image-conscious superficial changes are fairly innocuous. For example, even though President Obama exchanged his obvious TelePrompTer for a more behind-the-scenes television monitor, this groundbreaking bastion of oratory was still reading prepared remarks like Jimmy Fallon stumbling through a late night monologue. The problem, however, is that many of the other changes may not be so harmless. For purveyors of terrorism in Allah’s name, any sign of weakened resolve from The Great Satan serves as a veritable gift-wrapped recruiting bonus. Overseas Contingency Operation? Here in the States, not many of us know what that even means; in the Middle East, it’s a rallying cry.

The most telling part of Al Kamen’s Washington Post piece comes at the end, when he mentions that a previous possibilty of changing the GWOT acronym to GSAVE, or Global Struggle Against Violent Extremism, was met with scorn from the Bush White House.

“But, in a White House meeting,” Kamen writes, “President Bush ruled that it was still a war for him, and Rumsfeld and everyone else went back to GWOT.”

For this administration, despite all of the tough campaign talk about Afghanistan (we’ve seen what comes of campaign promises, after all), the Global War on Terror is no longer a war. It may never have been. For them, it’s an Overseas Contingency Operation — no different, on its face, than an alternative vacation destination researched by a bridegroom worried that his first plan for a honeymoon might fall through.

Comments

1. Ken says:

Why not The War Against Terror?

2. Mama P. says:

Aren’t you supposed to be studying, Jeff?

3. Jeff Schreiber says:

I know, I know.

Some things just get me all bothered, and I can’t concentrate on law stuff until I get it off my chest and out of my head.

Thanks for your concern, though.

Back to work,

Jeff

4. Tom from FL says:

Brilliant! GREAT website by the way!

Tom from FL

Yeah, Jeff. Get back to your school work (but I certainly understand “stuff” getting under one’s skin and making it almost impossible to concentrate on anything else).

Most of us are extremely alarmed and won’t rest until we’re taking an active role in regaining our country – the country that rightfully belongs to us who believe that the Constitution, as originally conceived and documented by the Founders, is the only legitimate source of identity and function that this country has. Without this committment to the Constitution, we devolve into nothing more than a bunch of competing ideas and, in the process, totally tear the fabric of our society apart.

The current administratin seems determined to create a new “orgainizing principle” (Socialisn at best, Marxism at worst) to displace the Constitution, but the Framers made no provision for such a transition without first ammending the Constitution itself. But rather than pursuing proposed changes by means of proposed amendments and ratification by the States as provided in the Constitution, all three of our current branches of government have no compunction against msking laws that abrogate the Constitution; the process be damned. This has got to stop.

I believe that the citizen-patriot
    Founders, who willingly placed themselves in jeopardy of losing all that they had; their wealth, their freedon, and even their life, would not have let this happen without a battle to the death. Can we do less, or is freedom not as precious to our present generation(s) as it was in 1776?

I believe absolutely nothing that Obama says. There is too much historical, verifiable, evidence that leads me to believe that we are witnessing a planned destruction of both a free society and a free-market economy, to be replaced by a one-world social system , all under the control of “elected” officials from a permanent one-party system, the engine of which will be the unions and community organizers. The evidence is clearly there in Obama’s life-long radical, anti-American, associations – both with individural and groups – and group associations and groups such as Acorn and the Service Workers Union cabal and the New Pary in Illinois. It would, as Hillary Clinton once said, “require the willful suspension of disbelief” to not lead us to the conclusion that Obama’s smooth charm and charisma is nothing more than a front for the illigetimate takeover of the U.S.

You’ve probalby noticed that one of the New Pary’s stated goals at the time that Obama was associated with that organization was to “democratize the banking and financial systems”? Sounds an awfull lot like what we are seeing under the cover of the present contrived “crisis”, doesn’t it?

2010 seems so far away, but it will come and we must be ready with candidates that will sound a clear, unwavering, call to a return to a constitional conservatism and traditional Judeo-Christian values. If we do, we CAN make a difference.

Old Bob

6. PEME says:

Remember to work hard Jeff, millions on welfare and the illegal immigrant population are depending on YOUR tax dollars to survive. Good luck on your exams.

7. GiveMeSanity says:

Jeff, I am the same way. Sometimes, I cannot even get to sleep at night until I do a brain dump at the computer. As always, great read. Best of everything on your exams. Praying you ace them. God bless.

8. IDUDE, WHERE'S MY TANK? says:

Why not just go all the way and call it “Logistical Overseas Contingency Operation”

LOCO!!

Bring back kick-ass Cheney!
    This is the most immature, inexperienced bunch of jack-asses we could have ever feared to ‘lead’ us.

9. 9/11 PHASE II says:

We will NOT BE SAFE these next 4 years, and GOD FORBID it be 8 years with this buffoon. GUARANTEED, take it to the bank, if there are any banks left. Osama is licking his chops, Obama is only running his.

I have recommended your website as a “must read” to many of my friends to give them a more truthful incompassing perspective. I again commend you on this piece on the war. This name change will only encourage our enemies who will deem this, for lack of better words, a feminine approach to war. It sends them a message that we are vulnerable because we down play them as a threat. Thanks for still staying on top of the action even while you study.

When Obama wants to cram something down our throats, he will raise the fear factor’s bar again to GWOT, you wait and see.

Overseas Contingency Operation has no punch to it. Well, when he sends his civilian army over to fight the Contingency, won’t that sound less stressful than fighting Islamic terrorists in a Global War? And, doesn’t Global War sound a lot like WW III?

With Obama’s hot-shot team behind him and his own lack of experience, it wouldn’t surprise me if he stepped on a political land mine and caused China to shut us down!

Just wondering; my coffee hasn’t kicked in yet. I hate to say it, but it makes me uneasy that the man wakes up every morning. I read Rules for Radicals at night just to prepare myself for whatever he and his mafia can figure out to do to us the next day.

Jeff, we wish we could help you study, instead of reading to find out if the government is going to tax the air we breathe. That man gives me the creeps. I feel like my government is closing in on me.

Your site gives me some comfort and peace of mind. I’m not alone in my thinking because others say the same thing about your site. We thank you for that, too.

12. THE NAME GAME says:

Honestly Honey, I didn’t ‘cheat’ on you, it was ‘inter-marriage physical appreciation’.

13. FREE HINCKLEY says:

We’re doomed.

14. TODDLER ADMINISTRATION says:

The pupil measurements showed that 3-year-olds neither plan for the future nor live completely in the present. Instead, they call up the past as they need it.

“For example, let’s say it’s cold outside and you tell your 3-year-old to go get his jacket out of his bedroom and get ready to go outside,” Chatham explained. “You might expect the child to plan for the future, think ‘OK it’s cold outside so the jacket will keep me warm.’ But what we suggest is that this isn’t what goes on in a 3-year-old’s brain. Rather, they run outside, discover that it is cold, and then retrieve the memory of where their jacket is, and then they go get it.”

The findings are detailed this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
    Munakata figures the results might help with real situations.

“If you just repeat something again and again that requires your young child to prepare for something in advance, that is not likely to be effective,” Munakata said. “What would be more effective would be to somehow try to trigger this reactive function. So don’t do something that requires them to plan ahead in their mind, but rather try to highlight the conflict that they are going to face. Perhaps you could say something like ‘I know you don’t want to take your coat now, but when you’re standing in the yard shivering later, remember that you can get your coat from your bedroom.”

LOL @ “inter-marriage physical appreciation”

but so true.

I wonder how much the process to change the name cost the American People.

What a bunch of idiots they are!

laura

16. BlueWater says:

President = Kenyan-born, Indonesian citizen trained by murderous thugs and communist sympathizers – needs teleprompter because he doesn’t think in English – it’s not his first language.

And all of the Al Pacino fans in the audience said: Hoo-Ha!

17. WAY ABOVE HIS PAY GRADE says:

Right on BlueWater!

You mark my words people it IS going to be shown and proven he is NOT CONSTITUTIONALLY QUALIFIED FOR THE OFFICE OF PRESIDENT. And then what?, because you can rest assured he doesn’t have the CLASS of Nixon to resign.

Excellent news from Plains Radio forum: FBI is going to do a full investigation of Obama. Plus, Orly’s documents have been received and will be reviewed by SCOTUS.

19. DIZZYING ACRONYMS says:

To what are they going to change “The United States of America” to ?

verification word: dingra
    Kenyan for denigrate

20. Dee says:

As the famous Jack Lambert of the Pittsburgh Steelers once said, “maybe the quarterbacks should wear skirts”, that will get them more protection and no one will tackle them.
    What a bunch of pea brains (I’m sure that’s not a politically correct term) that are now supposedly keeping us safe.
    Keep up the good work and study hard. Thanks to all of the like thinkers.

21. Marie says:

If you aren’t planning to run in 2012, then I have just the right person! If having a non-natural born citizen as president is ok, then why stop there?!? Let’s draft a Brit for US President!!!!

I say let’s get this guy over here! I am officially starting a “Draft Daniel John Hannan for President” PAC!!!

I LOVE THIS GUY!!!!

22. WE DON'T GNAW ON OUR KITTY says:

President Undermining Strategic Safeguards Youthfully

P.U.S.S.Y

“Overseas” Contingency Operation?

I guess that means we no longer have to worry about airplanes flying into US buildings or NYC/DC turning into a mushroom cloud…

Thank god…we’re saved.

24. AMERICAN mIDOL says:

Hey wait a minute!, I thought the world was suddenly going to love and adore us when our messiah was elected. Why do we need acronyms at all??

26. OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN says:

There is a huge difference between the military enlisted oath and the officer oath of office.
    The wordings of the current oath of enlistment and oath for commissioned officers are as follows:

Enlisted Oath

“I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.” (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

Officer Oath -

“I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God.” (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)

As you can see, the officer does not swear to obey the orders of the President. We only have an obligation to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic (for example, a Presidential Usurper).

Our forefathers were so brilliant to foresee a situation like we find ourselves in now. The officer oath is a safeguard to protect the Constitution against a corrupt elected government. Officers only have an obligation to defend the Constiution. Military officers have a lot of legal clout when it comes to Constitutional matters. The officer oath does not mention following the UCMJ laws as does the enlisted oath.

27. Tilli says:

He can call it Uncle Barry’s Three Ring Circus of Giraffe Paintings if he wants to.

I don’t really care what we call it. What I do care about is whether or not we are fighting it with vigor and refusing to lose. I do not believe Barry is as committed to winning as he is being liked.

Everyone remembers the guy or gal in high school that was everyones friend. Any clue what they are doing today? Well, this one is president and still thinks the prom is the highlight of the year. Heck, he might even get crowned king of Enchantment Under the Sea….as long as Biff doesn’t get in the way.

I’m beginning to think that many people now in high office are the products of a lifetime of indoctrination by liberal educators, who were trained by radical liberal educators, and have never read or studied about the Constitution. Case in point . . .

Did anyone notice the completely blank look of confusion on Geitner’s face when Minnesota Rep. Michelle Bachman asked him to cite where in the Constitution he is given the power to do what he has done through Treasury? He honestly had no idea that the Constitution would be remotely relevant. He actually did a double-take, like where on Mars did this woman come from? He tried twice to give answers about the Congress and it’s laws. He never did get that the Constitution had anything to say.

I shouldn’t have been surprised, but I was. Deeply shocked, in fact. It filled me with a sense of doom.

George Orwell 1984 Is becoming reality in the U.S.

30. SACRED GROUND says:

Oxymoron; Obama at a Medal of Honor ceremony 3-25-09

31. REUNION MINION says:

Where did you get Obama’s class reunion photo for this post?

ANONYMOUS AT 1:02 P.M. said…
    “Congratulations on basing your self-righteous, whiny post on a story that’s not true.”

Well, Anonymous, before you start badmouthing the Man in Charge of this Blog, you might want to get your facts straight! Don’t you have a search engine in your computer? Check it out–I’ve done the work for you:

This is from http://www.guardian.co.uk:

OBAMA ADMINISTRATION SAYS GOODBYE TO ‘WAR ON TERROR’
    US defense department confirms use of the bureaucratic phrase ‘overseas contingency operations’

Oliver Burkeman in Washington
    guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 25 March 2009 17.40 GMT
    Article history
    The war on terror, George Bush once declared, “will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated”. But Barack Obama’s administration, it appears, has ended it rather more discreetly – via email.

A message sent recently to senior Pentagon staff explains that “this administration prefers to avoid using the term Long War or Global War On Terror (Gwot) … please pass this on to your speechwriters”. Instead, they have been asked to use a bureaucratic phrase that could hardly be further from the fiery rhetoric of the months immediately following the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The global war on terror is dead; long live “overseas contingency operations”.

Rumours of the imminent demise of the war on terror had been circulating for some time, and some key officials have been mentioning “overseas contingency operations” for weeks. The US defense department email, obtained by the Washington Post, seems to confirm the shift, although the Office of Management and Budget, which reviews the public testimony of administration personnel in advance, denied reports that it had ordered an across-the-board change in language. (But the Department of Defense confirmed use of the phrase.)

Jeff writes so that we will be informed, and he will post your comments. He also asks that we be polite in using the comment section and not insult each other.

33. BlueWater says:

Sacred Ground – Unbelievable. Kind of like the Kenyan giving the grad address at Notre Dame. Pro-life WHAT?!?!? The last six months have given me a new appreciation for the width, height and depth of some people’s ignorance, denial and ability to be dangerously duped by a false messiah. I used to read Revelation and think, “How could this happen?” No longer.

34. tm says:

The real terrorists have now taken control of the executive branch and hold the majority of both house and senate and are currently implementing their plan to destroy America.

35. TICK TICK BOOM says:

I never could understand the mindset of a suicide bomber…. now I do. We are helpless.

36. THE BACK 9 says:

tm, don’t forget the buffoons on the court.

tm, I hadn’t looked at it that way, but, you know?–I think you’re right!

jeff, concentrate &, study AMERICA needs lots of people like you, good luck @ your exams

anonymous old bob , march 25, 4:26
    i agree 100% @ you
    i would add to what you said,
    1.-there has been a failure in education that problaby goes back to the cold war, and probably is its cause and that is HISTORY & GEOGRAPHY classes in elementary & high school, which to my understanding were and are very light,narrow and bias, wich means that we have h.s graduates with little knowledge of history and what goes around the world and any "prophet"
    with a teleprompter could pull their leg
    2.-since the 70´s american colleges and universities are suffering the invasion of the most anti-american, & radical professors
    as result, right now, we have a mass of professionals occupying key positions in the government with very ambiguous americanism, >> no patriotics at all
    and….
    i wonder if this is not a lethal weapon deliberately targeted to destroy our society & our institutions????, probably by the old urrs, with retarded effect

39. WIMPS IN THE WHITE HOUSE says:

Tell our beloved troops being shot at by AK47, RPG’s, mortars and IED’s that it is not a war. Take your semantics and cram em. A-hole administration.

Holy Cow…the comments on here on none like I’ve seen in the many months I’ve been reading…and there are always good comments on here! I mean, congrats to everybody tonight. Unbelievable comebacks and cracks…I’m laughing for the first time in a couple of days, I think…it’s hard to remember anymore. But, the one I have to say outloud is…”inter-marriage physical appreciation”…oh gosh, that’s funny…everybody, really, has been very clever tonight! Great article to get us all fired up!!!!

Congrats, Jeff!!!!! I’ve noticed a couple of trolls making an appearance on your site lately! Woo Hoo…you’re becoming increasingly noticed and effective more and more as the days go by…obviously, or they wouldn’t be coming here to drop their stupid little smear-bombs! Word isn’t just getting around about you through like-minded individuals. Oh no no no…libs are catching wind of this too, and they don’t like it! I’m feeling proud of you! You’ve worked hard to get to this place!

42. Gust D. A. says:

A few thoughts from before the Iraq invasion. I had a discussion with a group of NCO’s and Officers prior to thier deployment. These are the thoughts I came away with:

—————–

America’s resolve and the dangers ahead – 22 Feb 2002

I have taken a look at current events, and history of our recent past. Like a few in this great country, I am a retired career soldier and a student, participant and teacher of combat, I have a different perspective on this subject and I think you should hear it.

This war will be won or lost by the American citizens and soldiers, not diplomats or politicians. Let me explain. In spite of what our media and even some of our own people tell us, the terrorists are not a group of mentally deranged fanatics. To dismiss them as such would be a big mistake. These attackers are a committed and dedicated enemy.

Don’t take this the wrong way. I don’t like these guys and I deplore their actions, but I must respect their capabilities. These men hate the United States with all of their being, and we must not underestimate the power of their moral commitment. Our enemies are willing, and even anxious, to spend their lives for their cause. How committed are we Americans to our way of life and freedoms?

These men will not go away, ever. They do not fear us. Even with our conventional strength, we are the underdog in this fight. As you listen to the carefully scripted rhetoric, that we will be hearing in the next few years, preparing us for the march away from the war in Afghanistan. I hope you can realize that America is not ready to fight this battle at home, in our streets and towns.

To be certain, our soldiers are much better than the enemy, and we have some excellent counter-terrorist and intelligence organizations. We will be fighting a war of annihilation, because if their early efforts are any indication, our enemy is ready and willing to die to the last man.

Eradicating this enemy will be an end time battle. They have already deployed their forces in as many as 20 countries, and are likely living the lives of everyday citizens.

The public is already showing they are not patient and supportive. This battle will not be linear; there will be no clear front lines to strike with high technology weapons. Our vast technological edge will certainly be helpful, but it will not be decisive, this fight will be more like a knife fight and it will be won or lost by the resolve of citizens and soldiers.

Unlike Americans who are ready to put this fight behind us, our adversaries have time on their side, and they will use it. They plan to fight a battle of attrition, hoping to drag the battle out until the American public loses all of its will to fight.

We can expect doses of pain like the 9/11 attacks, but also less bold, sand in the eyes tactics, only limited by the imagination of the perpetrators. These attacks will be designed to hit us in our comfort zone forcing the average American to pay more and play less in an attempt to eventually destroy our way of life.

This will only work if you let it. It is clear to me that the will of the American people is the center the enemy has targeted. It will be the pivot on which victory or defeat will turn. The resolve of the American people will decide this war. If we are to win, it will be because we have what it takes to carry on. If we can do that, we will prevail.

Gust, D. A. SFC
    US Army Infantry Platoon Sergeant (retired)