March 21-22, 2009 — Weekend Reading

GOP Raises More Than Democrats Last Month
(FROM: CNSNews) Excellent. Now party leaders must look at the reasons why. During the homestretch of last year’s presidential election, GOP nominee John McCain received two significant bumps in his poll numbers — the first happened when he chose conservative Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his running mate, the second when a fantastic appearance at Saddleback Church left the centrist McCain looking and sounding like a conservative. As Republicans look back upon this past month to see just why fundraising efforts were so successful, I hope they realize that the deciding factor was conservatism. Just like conservative Republicans win elections and moderate Republicans do no, a Republican Party determined to return to conservative principles will win more support than a party wavering around the political middle. Perhaps the only bright spot in the past month was a perceptibly more cohesive GOP, a GOP which rallied around and returned to its conservative roots. Let’s make sure that keeps on happening.

Michelle Malkin: Look Beyond the Bogus Bonus Smokescreen
(FROM: Townhall) An excellent piece of writing which puts the uproar over the $165 million in AIG bonuses in perspective. I don’t know about you, but I got so hung up on the contractual issue and the idea that taxing bonuses will drive away talent that I forgot the blatant hypocrisy of the Democrats, hardly the standard-bearers of fiscal responsibility, getting their undergarments in a twist over $165 million after having spent trillions of dollars in two months’ time. Now, the Republicans who voted for the 90 percent tax on bonuses . . . that’s another matter for a later date, when my anger bubbles up a bit (come on, Eric Cantor — you’re better than that!).

AIG Executives Face Scorn, Even at Their Homes
(FROM: International Herald Tribune)

An A.I.G. executive who had been nicknamed ‘‘Jackpot Jimmy’’ by a New York tabloid walked up the driveway toward his bay-windowed house in Fairfield, Connecticut, on Thursday. ‘‘How do I feel?’’ said the executive, James Haas, repeating the question he had just been asked. ‘‘I feel horrible. This has been a complete invasion of privacy.’’Mr. Haas walked on, his pink shirt a burst of color on a slate-gray afternoon. The words came haltingly. ‘‘You have to understand,’’ he said, ‘‘there are kids involved. There have been death threats. …’’ His voice trailed off. It looked as if he were fighting back tears.

‘‘I didn’t have anything to do with those credit problems. I told Mr. Liddy I would rescind my retention contract,’’ he said, referring to Edward M. Liddy, the chief executive of A.I.G.

He ended the conversation with an order: ‘‘Leave my neighbors alone.’’

Robert Wallace, who penned a fantastic piece posted yesterday on these pages, wrote me in an e-mail to say that he was disturbed by the mob mentality which has erupted following the AIG bonus revelation. I happen to agree with him, and wonder whether this will be the proverbial straw which broke the camel’s back. Of course, I understand the outrage, but a contract is a contract and the bonuses were supported by both the Obama administration and Sen. Christopher Dodd. Remember, too, that none of this would even be a problem if we hadn’t sent good taxpayer money after bad, giving AIG an additional $130 billion after the group posted a $64 billion fourth-quarter loss.

(Now, as for the rumors that AIG insures congressional retirement funds, we’re still working on confirming those. As of right now, they’re still rumors — but that could help explain why Congress was so happy to help AIG but had no problem with letting Bear Stearns fail. — Jeff)

Barack Obama’s Teleprompter Blog
If you have not yet seen this, please do so. It is absolutely brilliant, so much so that I only wish I could have come up with the idea first. I just hope that whoever is putting it together recognizes how much potential this idea–in existence only since Wednesday–has, and acts accordingly. Quite honestly, I have to force myself to read it, only because doing so reminds me how much I wish I could have come up with the idea myself. Whoever you are — FANTASTIC job.

Altruism at the Point of a Gun
(FROM: American Thinker) Funny how everyone is whining about $165 million spent by AIG, but nobody cares about the $6 billion spent by our federal government for the establishment of a “civilian national security force” under the GIVE Act. Basically, it’s a way to federally fund the expansion of liberal ideals and foment liberal activism, but even as bad as that sounds, portions of the legislation are actually pretty downright scary.

SC Gov. Mark Sanford: Why South Carolina Doesn’t Want ‘Stimulus’
(FROM: The Wall Street Journal) I was disappointed. Having breakfast with my wife and daughter at a Charleston-area Waffle House a few mornings ago, I overheard a spirited exchange between two waitresses over the AIG bonuses (I know . . . I couldn’t believe it, either), but nothing was said about Gov. Sanford’s decision to ask that $700 million in bailout money be used to pay down state debt. Sadly, as you read this, my family and I will be en route back up to Pennsylvania — but that doesn’t mean you can’t read about Sanford’s reasoning. Heck, you already know how I feel about Sanford’s take.

WATCH THIS: Mitt Romney, with Larry King, on AIG and More

(FROM: YouTube) I’ve included both parts of the interview below. The man gets it, and with the nation in the grips of an economic crisis, the time is now for Mitt Romney to show that he has what it takes to lead the GOP in 2012. In my opinion, he’s doing so, and doing so well. Of course, it’s still early. Nevertheless, just as I get impressed when I see some of the other leading candidates for candidacy, I’m delighted to see Romney polishing his skills and saying what absolutely, positively needs to be said. If you have the time, please watch both. If you’re struggling for time like I always am, fast-forward to about 8:20 into the first video.

More Weekend Reading to be added from time to time as opportunities present themselves…

Comments

Jeff, I just want you to know that I spent a good portion of my day calling every single one of my congressmen here in TX concerning the GIVE Act-AKA- The Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act (HR 1388). I also called both offices of our Senators. It’s a frightening scary piece of legistlation. On Monday, I plan on calling all members of the Senate (starting to call them b/c it will certainly take more than one day) and tell them that they will not get my child in this program and that I strongly oppose this legislation!!!!! This starts at the SECONDARY SCHOOL AGE level!!!! How do these two words go together: MANDATORY VOLUNTEERISM? EXCUSE ME? Children at middle school age will be FORCED to participate in a “service-learning” program.
    A very helpful aid at Congressman Gohmert’s office gave me this website to look this bill up to see what its contents state
    (thomas.loc.gov) You have to type in the full title of the legislation to see it…you can’t type in GIVE Act or it won’t pull it up. Thank you so much for addressing this issue!!!! What is this country coming to????? Now they’re passing legislation to indoctrinate and draft some of our youngest children by forcing them to participate in this! Scary…

What the hell is going on with the House passing HR 1388? I am afraid my two children will be indoctrinated with BOs crap and my son is at such an impressionable age he will believe all the crap that they intend on teaching the children. God help us.

3. tm says:

What are the Republican Party’s principles that will be employed to meet and surmount these challenges? We have five enduring principles
    Our Liberty is from God not the Government.
    Our Sovereignty rests in our souls not the soil.
    Our Security is through strength not surrender.
    Our prosperity is from the private sector not the public sector.
    Our truths are self- evident not relative.

Thaddeus McCotter,(R) Congressman 11th district Michigan

and a very cool guy. After reading the top article about how we are on the way back, I kind of felt just a little better. Thanks Jeff.

Re the AIG bailout/bonuses: I still maintain that the bailout is to repay contributions made to Obama’s campaign, and I do not understand why there is no “noise” being raised over that! The bonuses are justified; they were allowed in the legislation. Mitt is right–the government is going after the CEOs because they differed in opinion with Obama’s thugs.

Love the TOTUS! No wonder Obama sticks to it–it has a brain!

Re the Larry King interview with Romney: Mitt, you ROCK!

Gotta go up to the Capitol for a DontGo Rally on the 10th Amendment.

5. Dee says:

I don’t agree with the AIG bonuses and I don’t like it. However, they did what this administration told them they could do. What’s to stop the administration from taxing anyone’s bonuses that they think are excessive, especially if they received government stimulus money?

I just read, for the first time in my life, an article from the Rolling Stones.

Strangely enough, they will get the truth out to Obama and the waitresses at the Waffle House. The article is entitled "The Big Takeover." It is hands down, the best article I have read on AIG.

Soon, everyone will understand why Obama received astronomical financial backing.

I hope he is honest enough and wise enough to resign. If he doesn't resign, he will probably end up ousted through the ineligibility charges which are quietly resting on a growing pile of legal land mines.

The ineligibility issue appears to be an insurance policy designed for the benefit of the bankers, who currently hold our economy hostage so that we will pay off their bad deals. When they strip the dollar of all value, they will leave.

The ineligibility issue is also the politicians' only salvation. Obama looks like he's just an act – his role being the part of Grandma in Goldilocks & the Three Bears.

It may be that the bail out money is being used to outfit a new global empire in a distant land. It's also possible that our money is being used to start a new central bank, my guess would be somewhere near Palestine.

Two weeks ago the Vatican began dumping dollars for Arab currency.

Watch who follows that money.

7. dc says:

Where's Romney's TelePrompTer?

He probably would've been the GOP selection if Dem's hadn't invaded the primaries voting booths for McCain – who they knew had no chance ~ until Palin appeared, of course! McCain may've tied his combat boots on again if 'inspired' to be a strong American again, rather than 'over compromising' and giving in to the enemy (anti-American's Dems).

One thing about parasites and thieves, they're persistent as Buckthorn and other weeds. You have to keep cutting them out and uprooting them continually ~ that's part of the curse on the land (sin). If we don't these "trashy immoral's' take over.

—- From the kid movie "Sharkboy & Lavagirl"

Remember "Mr. Electric" in the Sharkboy and Lavagirl movie. He was the one who was suppose to work for the dreamer, instead his evilness took over and he wanted to ruin it for everyone.

Reminds me of someone.

Some morals of the story: "Don't Dream a selfish Dream."
    "In destroying the dreams of others you in turn destroy your own."
    "Dreams, dreamt in darkness become nightmares."
    "If you work hard and are focused you can make your life a dream."
    "You can help make other's dreams come true."

"Mr. Electric" was intent on not allowing anyone to dream, but kept them on the endless roller-coaster ride, prisoners. He wanted to control everyone and prevent them from dreaming and fulfilling their dreams.

Also, "Mr. Electric" had the "Force" to answer to, who ruled over him (does TelePrompTer come to mind?) All the 'cords and plugs' doing his bidding. Stick some well known faces on those and you have this 'party'! Draining away the Light, making people zombies results in a powerful, ego-centric "Mr. Electric."

TOTUS. He he!

It’s interesting the way dingbat goes back into full campaign mode (Leno, mobilizing his grassroots gang to go door-to-door) when he gets in trouble. And right now, dingbat is in trouble. Lots of it.

I’m as irritated by the mandatory volunteer corps conundrum as the rest of you, but it doesn’t worry me. To the contrary, that’s the sort of thing that would spark a massive, nationwide wave of resistance. Dingbat wouldn’t survive it.

JV

JV

Why is it whenever I hear Romney talk I just feel more at ease? He’s just been there running a government, running business and I hope he does run in 2012.

Disappointed that Romney aligns himself w/ McCain. I think McCain would have been Obama on 33rpm. (Sorry, you younger kiddos won’t get that!)

JV, my DOG would do a better job of running the government than Obama ever could. (I’ll stick his campaign picture up for you.)

Jeff, I heard a woman tell Dr. Herman Cain today on the radio just before I left to go to the Capitol that she thought people would vote with their wallets in the next election (rather than for the liberals who would be running). It surely would be nice to get some sensible conservatism at the helm!

12. dc says:

Interesting read:
    Five Signs of a Flailing Presidency
    The White House tries its hand at damage control.
    by Fred Barnes

“You don’t have to be an old Washington hand to spot the telltale signs of a presidency and an administration in serious trouble…”

The G20 will discuss tomorrow doing away with the dollar because of its vast devaluation over the past few years and topped off by the twin over-sized stimulus bills recently shoved through Congress, along with all the excess paper that Treasury has been printing so fast and furiously. Think the market has fallen thus far?

The link put up by dc (above) is a good read, and I wonder how Obama will smooth over the “acmetal” replacement for the dollar to the American public.

I really hope that the Obots will show their appreciation to the One by voting those DC thugs out of office. Maybe they will wake up in time, when they realize who is really going to be paying for this unsustainable debt. When it clicks that businesses aren’t going to help them because Obama has already stripped them as well, maybe, just maybe…!

Obama’s foreign policies are making the U.S enemies happy.
    Janet Napolitano, The Chosen One’s selection for Secretary of “Homeland Security, recently gave an interview to the German online version of Der Spiegel, in which she kow-towed to the First Rule of the Party Line: “Evil shall never be called by its true name.” In the interview, Napolitano stated that neither she nor presumably her underlings will, in the future, use the term “terrorism” to describe that which normal people–thus excluding most Obots–would identify as the wide spectrum of deadly mechanisms being used by Islamist jihadists against everyday Americans.
    However the terrorists are not going to back away from committing terror activities to be nice to zero or his secretary Napolitano.”

Kuwaiti Professor Abdallah Nafisi Dreams about a Biological Attack at the White House and Prays for the Bombing of a Nuclear Plant on Lake Michigan. Those peace loving Muslims again. Dreaming of …

2B2mz8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M32M-2B2mz8

15. Kalani says:

This is a bit off-topic, but I am piffed right now and really seeing red. Left this same post over at Citizen Wells.

The GIVE Act was passed by the House on 18 Mar 2009 and sent to the Senate. In reading through the GIVE Act, I see that the Obama modus operandi is still at work by putting crud in the middle of seemingly noble legislation.

First remember that HR 2587 GIVE Act was introduced os 26 June 2007 and was NOT voted on in the House. The GIVE Act was reintroduced as HR 1388 on 9 Mar 2009 by the same sponsor as before, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy [D, NY-4] and 37 Co-Sponsors (all Democrat). The bill was voted on by the House on 18 Mar 2009. The passage was by 321 aye votes (251Dem/70 Rep) and 151 Nays (104 Rep/1 Dem) and 6 Abstain (4 Rep/2 Dem). The bill now goes to the Senate — before it heads to the President.

In the bill, Obama sets up the mechanics that he passed in the Stimulus Package for his volunteer operations — including setting up a government funded corporation with a Board of Directors and CEO. What is frightening is the tentacles that this will entail as all agencies need to create positions for these volunteers. Yada … yada .. I could go on as how he has tied his FEMA Scheme for the Civilian Security Defense Force into this legislation, but now they’re called “National Volunteer Reserve Corps.” This creates images of the Peace Corps, but it is something far more sinister. In addition, the legislation is targeting foster kids, disadvantaged teens and more specifically BLACK colleges and universities. Reading the provisions, it smacks of a program tailor-made for ACORN. It is a bill that has reverse discrimination all over it as it is NOT designed for middle-class Americans to benefit from — regardless of your race. But this is NOT what has piffed me off.

The GIVE Act has 12 amendments. The one I am outraged over is House Amendment 49. It reads: “H.Amdt49 Pass Amendment to prohibit organizations from attempting to influence legislation; organize or engage in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes; and assist, promote, or deter union organizing.”

If I read that right, your First Amendment rights of Free Speech just were legislated out the door.

What really gets me irate is that it passed the House with 321 aye votes (251Dem/70 Rep) and 151 Nays (104 Rep/1 Dem) and 6 Abstain (4 Rep/2 Dem). Yes, it was BIPARTISAN.

Can someone explain to me how our Congressmen — both Republican and Democrat — think We the People are so stupid that we cannot read their legislation?

Hell, vote all of them out of office!!!

Be careful when you say this couldn’t possibly pass. The President has said that he MAY use the “resolution” procedure to close the debate on the package — and pass it on the simple majority that the Democrats hold in the Senate.

(Source: OpenCongress.)

16. Bodenzee says:

Just saw a blatantly untrue ad about the history of a restaurant. I looked at their PR firm and found the following written by the PR folks:

2 Reasons:

1. Credibility – If you say that your products or services are the best in a paid newspaper advertisement, readers (who know you are advertising to sell your products) will automatically discount what you say.

If, however, a reporter wrote an article about you, the story has built-in credibility because it is seen as the “media” making the statement and is perceived as unbiased. (This is one of the most powerful benefits of publicity)

The press must be for sale…wonder if Barry uses these folks?

What happened to therightsideoflife.com website? The screen is blank.

19. dc says:

O.P.R Dictionary (Reverse Meaning)

GIVE = TAKE
    Stimulus = Discouragement
    Right = Wrong
    Left = Right
    Good = Bad
    Lie = Truth
    Truth = Hate speech, inconvenient, distraction.

Obama’s Birth Announcement Forgery Allegation; VP Jokes About Certificate

Oh great! There goes Mitt-flip trying to be a conservative again. If he runs in 2012 I will do everything in my power to defeat this phony. His anti-life, pro-gay special rights, socialized medicine, pro-tax (of course he called them fees), elect dem judges to almost every position record is enough to disqualify him in my eyes.

Anonymous said…

Hear, Hear, I raise my glass to you. Well said! Mitt-flip, lol!!!

Jeff, forget Romney already. For the love of God, would you look at Mike Pence?