Stewart v. Cramer: Serious Journalism, or Comic Farce?

By Rick Saunders
America’s Right

Wow. Did you see that riotously funny exchange last Thursday between Comedy Central’s Jon “The Daily Show” Stewart and CNBC’s Jim “Mad Money” Cramer?

The one where Stewart reamed Cramer for having the temerity to try to avoid personal blame for the meltdown of the stock market? The one where Cramer showed up–voluntarily, no doubt–to have Stewart fire one verbal RPG after another at him and sheepishly take it all? Where Stewart droned on with his side-splitting rapier wit, slicing and dicing Cramer for being . . . outspoken?

Cramer originally–and correctly, I might add–observed a while back on NBC’s Today Show that the stock market was not particularly investor-friendly these days and that the various bailouts and administration “stimulus” packages seem to have failed because, as he noted, “we have an agenda in this country now that I regard as being a radical agenda. I think that we had a budget come out that basically put a level of fear in this country that I’ve not seen ever in my life, and I think that that changed everything.”

Adding heresy to truth, he then opined that the economic policies now being peddled by the Guy from Chicago and battering the stock market were leading to “the greatest wealth destruction I’ve seen by a president.”

Ouch. These were strong words coming from a CNBC guy, and one not usually identified as a conservative or one particularly friendly to Republicans. In fact, Cramer admits to being a democrat, and an Obama supporter. This, my friends, could not be tolerated. Wouldn’t you love to have been the fly on the wall for the “8:45 AM Call” the day after Cramer uttered those opinions? While the story cannot be confirmed, rumors continue to swirl that within five nanoseconds of Cramer’s Today Show remarks, the iPhone and BlackBerry traffic between and among leftist and pro-administration operatives–wherever located–was melting the D.C. cell phone switcher equipment: Cramer would pay for that disloyalty . . . and pay dearly.

How dare he even suggest that the stock market nosedive was caused, even indirectly, by anything other than the usual suspects, those being greedy “Wall Street” brokers, insensitive “de-reg” Republicans and, of course, that evil face of the Republican Party, El Rushbo, not to mention his equally evil Neo-Con bloggers? (I wear that badge with pride. — Jeff) Did Cramer not get The Memo? Honestly . . . to intimate that The Chosen One’s policies had anything–ANYTHING–to do with the stock market’s nosedive was, well, just unacceptable. It looked for a moment like Cramer would become the new Rush Limbaugh bathroom tissue for leftist Port-a-Potties

So, when invited to appear on Stewart’s show, Cramer (or someone on his behalf) graciously accepted and the charade proceeded. Maybe, just maybe, if Stewart could denigrate and humiliate Cramer enough–and if Cramer genuflected and took it–perhaps redemption could be dispensed. It was an entertaining skit. Kind of like Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live.

On Friday, the day after the skit aired, at a White House press briefing, a reporter – Connie Whozits – in framing her question to White House Press Secretary Robert “I’ll-Get-Back-to-You-With-an-Answer-to-That-Question-After-I-Check-With-Somebody-Who-Actually-Knows” Gibbs, contended with a straight face that the Cramer/Stewart episode was “serious journalism.” Things have gotten so horribly skewed in what remains of this nation’s once-respected journalistic community that verbal IED’s being lobbed at Jim Cramer by a leftist ideologue–and paid comedian, no less–trying to provide cover and shift blame have now become “serious journalism.”

Connie then asked: “Does the White House believe that this is the obligation of journalists to call out lies, to warn the public that there are dangers ahead?”

Say what? The mainstream media jettisoned any semblance of “obligation”–let alone principle–to call out lies, dissembling, incompetence, ineptitude and garden variety stupidity four nanoseconds following The Chosen One’s capturing of the Democratic Party nomination. And its hypocrisy has only deepened since November 4, 2008 and January 20, 2009. That jettison was confirmed by a cacophony of knowing, sycophantic laughter from the press corps after Gibbs responded to the reporter’s “extemporaneous” question by observing that he watched the episode and Stewart’s charade “tongue-lashing” and “enjoyed it thoroughly.” Ha ha ha.

Whether Cramer genuflected sufficiently low enough for his CNBC bosses or Gibbs or Stewart or Obama is yet unclear. However, following the skit, Cramer appeared on MSNBC with Joe Scarborough and appeared to have found something resembling a spine. Even Scarborough seemed to be asking the right questions by calling into doubt Jon Stewart’s “objectivity.” Careful, guys: 8:45 AM comes every day.

A cynic might ask: where was Jon Stewart when Rep. Barney Frank was telling everyone that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were “basically sound?” Where was Jon Stewart when Obama said that the days of earmarks were done and gone? And where was Jon Stewart when Bernie Madoff was making big-time contributions to the Democratic Senatorial Committee (from which, yes, The Guy from Chicago benefited) as well as to the likes of Hillary Rodham Clinton, Chuck Schumer and Charles Rangel? Hello? Anyone?

Stewart is a lap dog, a hitman to be used by the powers that be in the Democratic Party when they want somebody trashed alongside a laugh track. Nothing more, nothing less. So, when all is said and done, perhaps this explains in part why Stewart appears on a network called “Comedy Central.”

—————
Rick Saunders is a freelance writer who splits his time between endeavors in southern California and the American southwest. He began writing for America’s Right in December 2008.

Comments

1. COMEDY SINTROLL says:

I take Larry Sinclair a LOT more seriously than I take Stewart and Colbert. LIBTARDS both of em.

Well, said Jeff. I say Stewart is a hypocrite talking-head who serves the purpose that you mentioned. Cramer was stupid to go on that show, but he’s confused as to why those that he once supported him are attacking him now. Well, as Rush said about this issue, it’s because that’s what they do, even if it’s “one of their own”.

My new motto:

Let’em keep their bonuses.
    You can keep your crumbs.
    Just give us back our country-
    You crooked Beltway Bumbs!

Comedy Central is a network? I thought that was a cryptogram for the White House Press Secretary and his “journalistic” minions…I guess it’s true, you do learn something new everyday.

Ya gotta love Rick!

And, “Smackdown 2009″ would be a great fundraiser! Jeff, do you think you can get them scheduled on “Meet the Press” some Sunday? We need some fun in this operation!

5. tm says:

The problem here is people treat the likes of Stewart, and Letter”woman” as actual news sources. They are Comedians. It is sad that our society has gone water cooler pop culture. I have never watched stewart. I will not start. I used to think that Letterwoman was saavy up until the end of the election and he went on a Smear Palin rant for days. Will not watch him ever again. It amazes me every day when I read or hear about these comedians and such importance is given them when in reality they are simply left leaning comedians who subject people to their political platforms. It’s not entertaining.

6. Rick says:

Although I completely agree with the article, I do give Stewart credit for pointing out Cramer’s hypocrisy on market manipulation. If only the MSM would go after Frank, Dodd, Raines, Frist and Cox with the same fortitude we might get to the bottom of the whole mess.

WND today:

“I’d like to know if you think we should drop this story, as virtually every other news organization in the country has…I’d also like to know if you think there is a more important story to cover than whether the man currently transforming America into a socialist state is even constitutionally eligible to serve.

I’d also like to know if you think we should pursue it relentlessly and with total determination, which is exactly what I plan to do for as long as it takes to get answers.”

“I have to tell you, this lady is rapidly becoming one of my heroes.”
    -Joseph Farah

———————

Concerned American…
    I rest my case.

8. La Muse Poetique says:

I don’t know a lot of people who actually takes what Jon Stewart or Colbert says seriously. It’s about comedy. People watch it to get a laugh and if anyone actually takes it seriously, then I feel sorry for them.

Let’s protest these MSM’s. We may not change the result of the election but if lots of people protect, hopefully these guys will learn a lesson.

When LA Times called me and promised me to give 75 cents on a dollar if I take the paper back, I told them “you guys cost us the election and we will cost you jobs.”

Comedy Central is my favorite no watch channel on my dish system.

Daily I get more concerned this socialistic approach to the American way has no conscious who they take on to suppress. With 3 years 9 months to go we will be in ruins by the next election, unless we find the truth in where he really was born.

11. goddessdivine says:

Stewart’s a pawn; a left-wing talking head who would defend Obama if he sold crack to kids on the corner. And Stewart’s target audience has an average IQ of 75 (almost 2 standard deviations from normal). Anyone who takes this guy seriously needs to reevaluate his sanity.

Great piece Rick.

12. MIDDLE CLASS GUY says:

Why do people refer to ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, and PBS as the mainstream media (MSM)? Since when is Socialism the mainstream in this country? These outlets have actively promoted a Socialist agenda for years. The Traditional American point of view is never promoted and rarely allowed. Due in part to the bias of their coverage we now have a Socialist / Communist administration and Congress. However, I for one do not believe that the majority of the American people have become Socialist. It is my opinion that most Americans hold Traditional American values. Therefore, I always refer to the outlets listed above as the Left Wing Radical Media (LWRM) which is more appropriate when considering their role in distorting the news to support their agenda. It is also necessary to refer to the printed versions of the LWRM including but not limited to:

The New York Times
    The Washington Post
    The Boston Globe
    The Saint Louis Post Dispatch
    The Los Angeles Times

I believe that Traditional Americans should not only refer to these media by the title that they have earned but boycott them also.

Thanks, Ken

Sorry, Rick. I attributed the article to Jeff, above.

Take a look at Jim Cramer’s MSFT recommendations over a 2 year period. You can see that he flip-flopped quit a bit and likely lost viewers money.

I watched Cramer say this “wealth destruction” stuff on the Today Show, and the look on Erin Burnett’s face was exactly as you stated… “Jim! Didn’t you get the memo? You are in such big doo doo!” She stuttered about trying to distance herself from his words as quickly as she could. Oh yea, there is a memo out there alright!

16. BLAH BLAH BLAH ERIN says:

Erin needs to stick to bikini modeling.