Principled Leadership from the Palmetto State

SC Sen. Jim DeMint speaks out against $410 billion omnibus spending bill sure to pass today

South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint speaks out against the omnibus spending bill.

Despite voting for John McCain in the 2008 presidential primary election and, as of only three days ago, having a I-95 interchange named for floundering Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, the state of South Carolina is certainly turning out a few good, solid, principled conservatives.

Gov. Mark Sanford, reviled by left-leaning South Carolinians, led the charge when it came to state chief executives actually reading the Obama-Pelosi so-called “stimulus” bill to determine just how each and every provision would affect the citizens of their states, just what kind of strings were attached to money from the federal government. Imagine that — politicians who actually want to read legislation before deciding whether to act on it.

In my opinion, however, the real star of the past six-plus months has been South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint, otherwise known as the South Carolina senator who does not stand firm with John McCain as he more than periodically reaches across the proverbial aisle in order to stick it to conservatives, or the South Carolina senator who did not dismiss patriotic American citizens as “loud folks” when they voiced their opinions about McCain’s comprehensive immigration reform–amnesty for illegal immigrants–bill.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I like Lindsey Graham. He was exceptionally nice and gracious on the limited occasions when I had the chance to deal with him while working for his hometown newspaper. Yes, Graham has been wrong on immigration, wrong on the original TARP bill, and wrong on a few other occasions, but he did stand fast with John McCain when the latter was advocating for the Iraq War “surge” designed by Gen. David Petraeus.

DeMint, however, has never deviated from principles, remaining strong when other conservatives have faltered. In the video above, he says pretty much what each of us have been thinking over the past few weeks. At longer than 16 minutes, it’s a fairly long video . . . but worth it.

In the meantime, I am looking forward to being in his state for a brief vacation next week, and moving there permanently next year. We love the weather, the people, the pace of life and pretty much everything else down there, but trading in Gov. Ed Rendell and Sen. Arlen Specter for Gov. Mark Sanford and Sen. Jim DeMint will be an added bonus.

Comments

1. MISSING CHARLIE says:

Jeff, you deserve a really nice vacation. I enjoyed this small write up but its presence pushed off the article with my favorite beach photo. I miss that photo.

2. madmom says:

Oh, dear Lord! Bernanke is from SC? And we publicized it? I feel sick.

Come on down, Jeff. Maybe you can do something with ‘that’ bunch in the low country.

The verification word is polfus: a political dufus.

3. Jeff Schreiber says:

Charlie,

It’s not so much a vacation as it is an attempt to line things up for next year. We need to make sure we know where to focus our house search, and I need to flush out a few contacts down there for employment.

Still, it’ll be nice to get away from work and school, though with regard to the latter, I’ll be doing work each day.

Jeff

4. WILL LAWYER FOR FOOD says:

Employment, Jeff? WHAT is THAT?

5. IF PUSH COMES TO SHOVE says:

Jeff, depending on what happens in the next year or two, please keep your options open. I would be proud to serve under a platoon or company commander such as yourself in a Patriots Army.

6. dc says:

Off subject, but the “grade” is in. “F”
    Give (illegitimate) President Obama a grade results

Scroll down to see his “accomplishments.”

7. ROTUND EGOS says:

What is the psychosis when your ego inflates in relation to the grandiose and grandeur building you might happen to congregate in? It seems Senators and Representatives let THE PEOPLES HOUSE go to their head. Oh for an earthquake to send them all packing and forced to meet in a banquet room at a Red Roof Inn. They need to come back to earth.

8. WHERE HAVE ALL THE SMART MEN GONE? says:

“You and I as individuals can, by borrowing, live beyond our means, but only for a limited period of time. Why should we think that collectively, as a nation, we are not bound by that same limitation?” – President Ronald Wilson Reagan

9. TCoop says:

Jeff, I’m sure the great War Eagle that you are would understand that Sen DeMint is a product of the University of Tennessee! Go Big Orange!

PS-Keep up the good work – love the blog.

10. Dee says:

Jeff, Since you also live in Rendell country, have you heard the news that our state government is paying an agency $173,000 to teach our state store employees to say “thank you, hello, and y’all come back now”? The owner of the agency just happens to be married to an LCB employee. I envy you that you will be leaving Eddie and Arlen. I do hope that you will be keeping your website up. Good luck in your house hunting and job options.

Jeff:

Have a great “vacation”! You need a change of scenery, I’m sure!

But I can’t agree with you about Lindsey Graham…he comes off as an idiot most of the time, and to tell you the truth, I question his conservatism. He is rhino many times, and is very inconsistent in his stances. He may be “nice”, but he is a career politician who has lost his focus on the Constitution. I will give him that he was mad about the porkulus bill, but didn’t he vote FOR the TARP bill?

Just my opinion!

Lisa in TX

Welcome to SC (next week)! Come on down! If you’re coming thru the Upstate on Interstate 85 or I-26, let me know I’d love to buy you lunch. I’m in Spartanburg.

Sincerely,

RM

13. madmom says:

RM,

No joke? Me, too. I’ll go in with you to buy Jeff and family lunch.

madmom

RM–

My burial plot is in Spartanburg. Used to be a lifeguard at Cleveland Park Pool (no longer there). Is Ret. SC Supreme Court Justice Bruce Littlejohn still living?

Have been hearing strange things about our GA Senators. Not good. Was a bit surprised and will check things out. Nothing but glowing remarks about Lynn Westmoreland, Tom Price, and Phil Gingrey, though.

Here’s some GA news:

A Rally will be held at the State Capital steps on Saturday, March 21, 2009, from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.

Bobby Franklin, sponsor of the GA Sovereignty bill, will be the Main Event Speaker.

Issue: Protecting the rights of Georgia Citizens from the continual grab of power from our own State Government into the hands of Washington, DC. Pelosi and gang should not have the ability to pass legislation limiting the rights of Georgia citizens in self-governing. One example is gun laws. Others include pro-life issues and protecting GA as a right-to-work state so that labor unions cannot be given the opportunity to usurp our own governance.

Without the ability to self govern as a state, we are losing the very foundation of being a Republic, where power is in local control of government.

If you’re a Georgian, we hope to see you there on March 21!

15. Brandon says:

Wow, haven’t heard a lot about DeMint, but he had a lot of good things to say, I’d be proud to have someone with those principles representing me.

I love the White House response when the senate passed the bill today. Saying “We’ll sign this bill with all these pet projects, but don’t do it anymore.” Yet I bet when the next massive spending bill comes around, which it will undoubtedly, Obama will sign that one with another 1,000 earmarks.

Jeff / madmom:
    It is definitely NOT a joke. Jeff, just let me know how to contact you directly. I will certainly not hold you up for very long as I understand what it is like to be on a long trip (traveling with children) and not wanting to stop. But, I would love to meet you personally, express my appreciation for your work here, and discuss the next steps in the re-revolution.

madmom – you’re welcome to join us if you too are serious.

GailB – see this article about the Judge. he passed away almost 2 yrs ago. I know where your remains will reside ultimately, but where do you reside today? My father was a lifeguard at the Croft pool. I’m a 3rd generation Spartanburg resident. http://www.goupstate.com/article/20070422/NEWS/704220378/1051/NEWS01

Sincerely,
    RM

17. madmom says:

RM,

I’m absolutely serious about kicking in half if Jeff and family can stop for a rest.

And Gail, I knew ‘the judge’ personally, quite well, in fact, and I miss him terribly. “Howdy neighbor!” is still a part of my vocabulary, learned from him over the fence. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wished to be able to pick his brilliant legal mind over what’s transpiring now. I still look for him in all the familiar places.

18. Jeff Schreiber says:

Thanks, guys, but we’ll be in the Lowcountry, not the Golden Corner.

Definitely the thought that counts, though.

Thank you.

Jeff

19. MANATEE BEACH says:

Jeff, no beach chair photos from the trip, OK? (unless you spot Charlie!)

20. madmom says:

It's too bad you won't make it up our way this trip, but I hope your trip to the Holy City will be fruitful. Husband has contacts in the legal community if we can help. We'll be pleased to have you back amongst the palmetto trees…even if you're on the wrong end of the state. Seriously, I love the Lowcountry. Great place.

madmom

word verification: upalign. I think it's a message, Jeff. :>)

you don’t even have to ‘post’ this one as its really more of a personal note to you as opposed to a continuing commentary on this subject. I am disappointed to hear you’re ‘only’ going to the coast. I had just hoped you might be traveling down I-26 and coming thru the Upstate. I too have a few connections down there as I graduated from The Citadel and then got into banking down in Charleston in the early 90′s. I have a sister who lives on James Island and a friend now doing his residency in Greenville SC (who still has a 3BR/2and 1/2 ba house for sale on James Island) that graduated from the Med Univ of SC in Charleston last spring. There are lots of us who’d love to help if you let us know how…there is such a thing as a free lunch if your name is Jeff :-) and you have a friend in Pa named Devon G….when you travel thru Spartanburg. God bless!

Kind regards,