Aspiring To Mediocrity

With hard work and success to be punished by Obama administration, productive Americans scale back

It was about two weeks after my daughter was born that I learned I was accepted by my law school of choice. At that point, she still weighed in at less than six pounds having come home after spending a week in the Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit, and I distinctly remember cradling her in our living room as I talked with my wife about whether or not the law school move was the right one to make.

After all, I had a fairly well-paying and stable job and, though the chance at advancement and pay increase was next to none, it allowed me plenty of time to spend with my wife and daughter. There she was, sleeping literally in the palm of my hand, and all I wanted was to spend every waking moment at her side. Law school at night would take away from that, would rob me of moments which could never be replaced. For a while, I didn’t know if I could go through with it.

What eventually swayed me was looking down at that tiny, beautiful sleeping baby girl and knowing that I could provide for her so much better with the income that would come with a law degree. It certainly wouldn’t be the easiest of roads. My time at home would certainly be limited. It would be tough; and it has been — as a father, I cannot describe how difficult it is to get that hug and smooch goodbye on those certain mornings when I know my class schedule will not break until long after she has been tucked in. “See you tomorrow” is an awfully difficult thing to say to my daughter when, every day, she’s learning new phrases, or doing new things, or just plain growing up.

The thing that keeps me going, as selfish and superficial as it may seem, is the money. Okay, not necessarily the numbers on the right side of the paycheck, but the security and safety and stability those numbers can provide. I work my ass off and make sacrifices each and every day so, down the line, I can be successful and better provide for the family that I love.

In an ABCNews piece today, Emily Friedman tells the story of a Louisiana lawyer and a Colorado physician who will be scaling back their workloads and practices in order to avoid being adversely affected by our new president’s tax plan, a plan which punishes the most successful Americans with higher tax rates and eliminated tax breaks and benefits.

“We are going to try to figure out how to make our income $249,999.00,” the lawyer said. “We have to find a way out where we can make just what we need to just under the line so we can benefit from Obama’s tax plan. Why kill yourself working if you’re going to give it all away to people who aren’t working as hard?”

And that’s even assuming that those making less than Obama’s magic number will benefit at all from the increased tax burden on those who establish and run businesses, create jobs and drive the American economy. As I look at it, each and every one of us will be paying for the added cost of doing business seen as a result of the president’s plan.

This administration’s domestic fiscal policy is a two-headed monster. On one side, it forces a reduction in productivity, causing people like the aforementioned Colorado doctor to “put thought into how to get under $250,000.” On the other side, it increases the cost of doing business for American companies and corporations, causing former stalwarts like General Motors to inject billions [of American taxpayer bailout money] into foreign markets because of the fiscal realities of doing business in America as an American automaker.

As an added bonus, companies which are forced to send jobs overseas directly as a result of increased tax and regulatory burdens will actually be subject to further tax penalties . . . for sending jobs overseas.

Plain and simple, this is exactly what happens when a government punishes people for being successful. Years ago, former President Ronald Reagan said that, “if you want less of something, tax it.” Well, here in America circa 2009, we’re taxing not only success, but also the hard work and long hours and elbow grease and personal sacrifice it takes to reach success — and we’re certainly going to see less of it all.

Getting in under $250,000 at the end of the year, according to Dr. Sharon Poczatek, the Colorado physician cited in Friedman’s article, means “working fewer days which means having fewer employees, seeing fewer patients and taking time off.” In other words, with regard to her individual practice, President Obama’s tax plan will cause an increase in joblessness and decrease in the availability of healthcare. Once again, the liberal Democrats fail to properly account for the unintended consequences of advancing their socialist ideology, consequences which may be unintended — but certainly not unforeseeable.

“Generally it means being less productive,” Dr. Poczatek said in the ABCNews piece. “The motivation for a lot of people like me – dentists, entrepreneurs, lawyers – is that the more you work the more money you make. But if I’m going to be working just to give it back to the government — it’s de-motivating and demoralizing.”

The problem inherent to Obama’s tax plan, and indeed the entire liberal ideology in general, is that these unintended but clearly foreseeable consequences reach much further than a Boulder, Colorado dentist’s office or a Louisiana law firm or even a suburban Philadelphia living room. Indeed, these consequences are felt nationwide.

We don’t make anything anymore in America. We used to build things. We used to have industry — steel, textile, technology, energy and more. But now, we don’t. Now, we are forced to watch our trade deficits increase, our labor forces decrease, or autonomy and sovereignty weaken with every added workplace regulation and tax levied against American business and industry at the hands of each passing administration, Democrat and Republican.

My goodness, look at what we are capable of! We could create anywhere between 250,000 and 750,000 jobs–not to mention the implications toward energy independence–by drilling for oil in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, and many, many more jobs by actually tapping into our natural resources buried offshore. But we don’t. We forego the new jobs, the benefits of increased domestic production of natural gas and oil because of the environmental lobby, because of the workplace regulations, because of those who simply do not understand that wind and solar and biofuels will never be enough.

My goodness, look around your nearest urban center! We could harness the infrastructure, the workforce, the public transportation, and the need. Look at the empty factories, the broken windows, the existing infrastructure reminiscent of a time gone by when those buildings were filled with Americans with lunchpails rather than illegal immigrants working to send money home. The Democrats argue that our nation’s inner cities are suffering from record unemployment, yet continue to push increased tax and regulatory burdens on the very people who could change that. If these companies weren’t going to get punished for being successful, if profit were once again cheered rather than chided, perhaps we could once again see the urban centers of America as manufacturing strongholds. The bureaucrats merely need to supply the motivation, or at the very least tear down the barriers to growth.

If, instead of cozying up to reporters and speaking the supposed merits of a “global New Deal,” the president were to set up shop in the Rose Garden and explain how he would slash corporate taxes down to ten percent, cut capital gains taxes and payroll taxes in half, the markets would skyrocket. People on both Wall Street and Main Street are begging for confidence, hoping that the new leadership in Washington will provide some sort of common sense road to success for them to latch onto. Instead, we see the cost of doing business in America going up, and as a result any motivation to work hard, put in long hours and invest capital is waning.

Positive change and an end to our current economic crisis will not come about until this problem is addressed at its root, and addressed from the top. Somehow, however, I think the current Socialist In Chief, just like the so-called “compassionate conservative” before him, will not be so willing to abandon the manifestation of his ideology due to the pesky distraction of common sense.

Given this new administration’s penchant for punishing those who sacrifice and work hard in America, however, perhaps I should have just stayed home rather than go back to school.

I could have been there when my daughter rolled over. I could have been there when she looked as though she had a strained-pea facial during her first foray into the world of solid food. I could have been there to tuck her in every night, rather than settle for the wonderful but heartbreaking “I love you too, daddy” over the mobile phone during the ten-minute break between a pair of night classes.

For sure, I’ll go on. I finish school in fourteen short months. How many people much more talented than I, however, will be unwilling to get into law, or business, or medicine because our own federal government punishes success? When does it not become worth it to invent, to research, to pull the long hours so well known by so many small business owners in America? At a time when we need ingenuity and growth and success, this administration is doing nothing more than encouraging people to merely aspire to mediocrity. And that’s fine, if you want mediocrity. That’s fine, if you want France.

I don’t. I want greatness. And America, as a nation, is as great as it gets, but she is capable of both greatness and boundless prosperity if only the people in charge would loosen the shackles, remove the encumbrances, and let her free.

Comments

1. Lisa says:

Let’s not forget that even if they took 100% of the income from the wealthiest Americans, it would not even come close to paying for what Obama has already committed to spending. So, that $250,000 number is a myth. The middle class is also going to end up paying in the end. So, I wonder… when all is said and done… How much would we all have to cut back in order to avoid getting hit by the tax raises???

Lisa said:

“So, I wonder… when all is said and done… How much would we all have to cut back in order to avoid getting hit by the tax raises?”

That may be a trick question. Tax increases won’t be a one-time thing, and the more you cut back (decreasing revenue for Big Brother), the more taxes will be raised in an attempt to feed the welfare state. It’s a trap, you see.

That’s just my assumption; tell me if I’m wrong.

Still, I continue to believe that people will rally against this outrageous leftist coup and defeat it or at least reverse most of its effects after voting these traitors out of office. (And that’s what they are.) Think of it as a coast to coast tea party or, as they say in Florida, a Seminole Uprising. From what I see on the internet, the military isn’t completely on board with the USSA concept, either.

Wonderfully written piece, Jeff.

JV

3. MUJERLATINA says:

Jeff: You can do what I’ve been doing for ten years now. I work for the medically indigent and Hispanic community as a physician. Until last year I earned about $100K/year serving the community I love. Then last January Medcaid and Medicare and the other “managed programs” started delaying payments or not paying at all. 2008 brought me a take-home of $37K. Then Obama won, eveything tanked, the patients with insurance are now uninsured, the government has ceased paying. I have taken home a grand total of $1,511.00 since January 2009 — Given upcoming 20% increase in NY State physicians’ malpractice, I anticipate my next $1,511.00 to be in late May or early June. Annualized I am now an MD working 60 hours/week and earning about $8k/year. I am devastated, scared and unclear what my next move will be. As a Family Physician I never saw $250k (most earn an average of $120-140k/year) So many people do not understand the real situation of the ‘foot soldiers’ in primary care today. I must face the fact that my practice, while busy and vibrant, is only providing my two young children and me medical insurance — the rest goes to overhead/employees/malpractice etc. Here’s MY dilemma: Should I throw the towel in, quit medicine and become a Starbuck’s Barista? I could get health insurance, work 40 hour/week and take home more than $8k/year!!! This is a true and real situation. That statue of Lincoln is not the only one with a tear in their eyes…

4. Jeff Schreiber says:

Wow, doc.

My goodness.

5. Kathy says:

There is a method to the usurper’s madness–socialism or marxism or communism, whatever you want to call it.

Mark my word: obama is delighting in gutting America. But, he has not had the last word. I believe in my heart of hearts that he will yet be exposed for the fraud that he is. It can’t happen too soon….

6. goddessdivine says:

You hit the nail on the head with this piece. This is such an obvious consequence of Obama’s radical agenda, it’s frighteningly disturbing the powers that be are completely clueless. Don’t they see that these tax hikes will bring in less revenue due to less productivity!?! I don’t blame folks who make more than the $250K curtailing their output to avoid these excessive taxes.

Your family will be (and already are, I’m sure) grateful for your many sacrifices.

Mujerlatino….you have put a face on what is truly the consequence of the outrageous policies formulated by these idiots in our government. I wish we could get your story out to those who are blindly following this socialist regime and who are entranced with a personna of a man who will destroy our country. What difference does it make what race he is if he is devastating our way of life? God help us to wake up from our stupor. I feel for you and your family and pray that you will find an answer to your dilemma…one that we all will find ourselves in eventually if we don’t stop this madness.

Jeff, that one came from your heart, and you’ve given it a LOT of thought and for a while. I would have been crying if I had written it, and I’ll bet you felt like it–out of sheer frustration.

Mujerlatina, you seem to be in the same boat with Jeff.

I feel as though we are all on the Titanic. It’s Captain Obama at the helm, with Pelosi as First Mate.

Anyone who thinks American politicians can deliver European socialism for a similar price is seriously unaware of the high cost of US government.

American politicians spend 2% less than their European counterparts for the relatively small subsidies that we already have, which does not include lengthy paid holidays, fully paid university, fully paid health care, fully paid pensions – for everyone. The idea that American politicians can deliver the same program to Americans for anywhere near the same price is a blatant misrepresentation and serves the lie that the US government is not already bankrupt.

All of this talk about socialism is also taking away from the real problem we have which is finding out who blew up the financial sector, was it accidental or planned. We need to find out who allowed “the London office” to rent out AIG for its financial engineering experiments and why their identity continues to be protected. We need to find out if any of those people funded Obama’s run for the presidency and if they are receiving protection from his administration.

The idea that some institutions are too big to fail is an excuse that puts off the investigation. If Obama does not want to call for an inquiry, then Congress better get involved.

10. Starys says:

I have to echo Jeff and just say “Wow” in response to your post Mujerlatina. I usually lurk but your post really hit me hard.

Part of me wants to tell you “No!!! Don’t stop!!! You are needed!!!”
    On the other hand, I have kids of my own, one is having some somewhat serious health issues of his own at the moment and we are in danger of losing our health insurance.. I am trying to figure out how I will afford the medication he needs next month. Even with insurance I can hardly afford it. I’ve been a stay-at-home mom for 16 years. Working part time occasionaly and had planned on going back to work this year. If I had though I would have had to quit to stay home and take care of my son. Now I need to figure out how to get a job, care for him and stay somewhat sane.
    I’m getting off-track here thinking of my own worries.
    What will I do if there aren’t doctors like you?
    On the other hand your kids have to be your number one priority, and you have to do what is best for you and them… and stay somewhat sane :)

Things are getting scarier every day.

Jeff:

The best I have seen from you yet! Maybe it’s b/c we can sympathize….I have posted here at how hard and long my husband has worked in the medical profession JUST TO GET THERE! And let me assure you, he did not choose medicine “to become rich”, but to help people. This penchant started in high school as a Boy Scout when he found himself saving a heart attack victim on the side of a highway. He grew up in an amazing family who taught giving of one’s self. He is the ultimate Boy Scout! And he would provide free medical care to those who cannot afford it (like my dad did in the old days!) if it were not ILLEGAL TO DO SO!

We see the handwriting on the wall and are getting ready to sell our house we can afford CURRENTLY to downsize b/c of what we see coming.

SO MUCH FOR THE 11 YEARS OF “ASS-BUSTING” WORK AND THE EVERY-THIRD-NIGHT ALL NIGHTERS HE PUT IN…PEOPLE ON WELFARE AND ILLEGALS DESERVE A PIECE OF HIS PIE!

Newt Gingrich wrote a book called “Real Solutions”. In it, he documented the dysfunction and inefficiencies in our current quasi-nationalized health care. He succinctly proposes effective free market solutions to our system. Unfortunately, no one is listening!

LISTEN, PEOPLE!!!!! OBAMA IS NOT DOING ANY OF THIS OUT OF IGNORANCE….this is a blatant move toward MARXISM!!!

I feel your pain, Jeff!

I AM MAD AS HELL!!!!!!!!!

To Mujerlatina:

Why don’t you move to Tyler, TX? We have a very healthy (at present) system, and we would be glad to welcome such a hard-working, intelligent physician! The standard of living here is great, and medicine does well, for now! Contact me if you want further contacts!

lwebb1222@yahoo.com

WE’D LOVE TO HAVE YOU!!!

BTW: I admire your “true grit”! You are an amazing woman!

OK.. things look bad. My hope is that Obama will get his fanny kicked out of Washington, along with his corrupt compadres.

I will not allow this Nation to be torn down.. No WAY!! I am betting millions of Americans agree with me. That is what we owe our children.

Now, how do we fix this??

Jeff-

Remember that YES by golly we ARE Americans and in our very blood is the will to fight and to survive. We need people like you to give of not just your time, but of yourself to ultimately help bring about the change we know can come! We the people who believe in our country and the sacrifices that have gone into making her great will not just give up and walk away or accept mediocrity because the current administration says that is all we are worth. We will continue to utilize that elbow grease and teach our children the values and principles our nation was founded upon!

You keep your motivation and your strength, you are a leader and you are a needed voice to many people who look forward to your blog each day. You keep your efforts in school because you are a daddy who will someday look into a pair of eyes and explain all that is going on at this time in history and tell that baby girl how you worked hard to achieve and use your head because that is what good, strong and intelligent people do. She needs the example.

Together we will find a way to come out of this, we must. As the Republican Party struggles to find its footing it is often difficult to form a cohesive unit, but it will happen we will make it happen for the good of our country.

Doc –
    You are a hero. I cannot think of any higher praise. You amaze me with your diligence and true love for your fellow American regardless of their situation. You should set up a way for people to donate to your cause. Thank you for giving me a moment to pause and be thankful for the many blessings I have in my life.

Sundae

Folks we really need to be on top of this:
    The E-Verify Program, on which businesses across the country relies to screen employment of illegal aliens expires this Friday, March 6.

E-Verify has been in use since 1997 by businesses nationwide – but Congress appears to be ‘hoping’Americans won’t notice that they removed the extension of this regulation from the “Stimulus Plan” and the issue has been ignored and screened out of Mass Media news coverage.

LET’S SHOW WASHINGTON WE ARE PAYING ATTENTION and we are opposed to the hiring of illegal aliens. SIGN the Urgent E-VERIFY PETITION Now – and send this link to your friends to sign on in support of this “Smart Business Practice.”

The truth of what is planned is far more devious than not rewarding hard workers or just becoming a Socialistic Country (dictatorship style).

EXAMPLE: just found this FEMA CONCENTRATION CAMPS: Locations and Executive Ordershttp://www.sianews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1062

"There over 800 prison camps in the United States, all fully operational and ready to receive prisoners. They are all staffed and even surrounded by full-time guards, but they are all empty. These camps are to be operated by FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) should Martial Law need to be implemented in the United States …"

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10990

allows the government to take over all modes of transportation and control of highways and seaports.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10995

allows the government to seize and control the communication media.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10997

allows the government to take over all electrical power, gas, petroleum, fuels and minerals.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10998

allows the government to seize all means of transportation, including personal cars, trucks or vehicles of any kind and total control over all highways, seaports, and waterways.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10999

allows the government to take over all food resources and farms.

1950 Defense Production Act
    gives the President sweeping powers over all aspects of the economy.

It won't take much to put this into effect -
    "Executive Orders associated with FEMA that would suspend the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. These Executive Orders have been on record for nearly 30 years and could be enacted by the stroke of a Presidential pen:…"

Glenn Beck presents:
    http://www.infowars.com/glenn-beck-mentions-fema-camps-on-fox-friends/We tend to look at, or approach, this economic crisis from an American perspective, and none of this makes sense – in comparison to what we're use to.

16. sharon says:

Very well written Jeff, It is obvious to me you are a wonderful father, and deeply love your family. You have shared so much with us. My children are grown and I have wonderful grandchildren. I love them so much. My husband and I have been married for 25 yrs, 5 kids, neither of us went to college, just the college of hard knocks.

All five of our children continued on to college and are doing quite well,two are still in school, we are very proud. I tried so very hard to get McCain elected for my grandkids. My husband and I although not wealthy by any means have had a wonderful life. I want my grandchildren to have the same. We have lost so much money in the market after years of hard work along with almost all of us. This man is playing with our lives, and for that alone he is disgusting.

Jeff, you will make a tremendous lawyer, hopefully in time to get the birth certificate issue resolved. : )

I am sorry for any of you that have small children to live through these times. We are more powerful than they are, and one way or another we will get them. Enjoy your daughter, the time goes very quickly.

17. Bobby K. says:

I feel your pain; I have worked away from home my whole married life, working in the oilfield. I have worked my way up from the very bottom to being an independent consultant, worked in the rain, cold, snow, in the desert, in the heat and all away from home while my wife raise our sons. The twins are in college the youngest is a junior in HS, and I have missed a lot to see that they could have better then my wife and I had. There are people who don’t want to work for anything, not to make their life or the life of their kids better. They just sit around and wait on someone to give it to them. My wife put herself through nursing school while raising our boys, paid off her loans herself. When the drilling was in down turns in the 80′s, I worked shutdowns, on road crews or anywhere I could to be sure my wife and boys had somewhere to live and something to eat. Some people in this country have no since of personal responsibility. It’s some one else’s problem to be sure we get feed. Don’t get me wrong, there are people who need help and I will be the first to help, but we are too pampered. Should we watch as this country is being trashed by liberals? We have been going in this direction for along time.
    There are four houses in Washington which are all equally guilty for what is happening, Whitehouse, Senate, House of Congress, Supreme Court. And you can always blame the American people for letting them stay. The story of the Grasshopper and the Ant, we’ll play while you guys work and provide for us. And don’t ask for help when times get hard, because you work for all of us… “I am a Conservative, because someone has to have a job”

18. CAL says:

Great article Jeff! Once again you hit the nail on the head. I also love how you point out that the loss of our manufacturing is just as much due to increasing regulation as it is to free trade which the democrats claim. There is no reason to send manufacturing oversees if we have a business friendly environment here at home. The only thing that surprises me about the current situation is the speed in which everything has come to pass. We are only a month and a half past inauguration and people are already talking about scaling back on their workload. If there is any proof that free markets work, that is. This country is still great because it is filled with freedom loving people like you and those that read your blog. 2010 is coming quickly and we can kick out these democrats and put some pressure on Obama.

Thanks for giving of yourself to illustrate the situation we face…when I read your articles, I just wish we could get them to people who are instead reading this mindless dribble from wimpy columnists who are blind to the TRUTH…if I see one more article about how bad Rush Limbaugh is, I’ll scream…we need words of wisdom and we get that from you and your contributors…we also get a glimpse into the heart of true Americans who post on this forum…their stories and insight inspire me to do more, to write more letters, to e-mail Congress, to attend Tea Parities and to do what I can to help someone who is really in trouble right now. My husband and I have worked hard and we have 2 grown children and 3 precious little grandchildren. We, too, have lost much of our retirement but we continue to work (he at 66 gets up and goes to work every day and I support him by managing our business at home)..we are in a business that has been hit hard, but the only thing we know to do is keep on keeping on. My parents went thru the Depression and they knew what it was to be frugal and work hard…that spirit is being lost because of the mentality that has taken over our government. I wish we could get these stories and articles to more people so that they could feel encouraged and PROUD of the real heroes among us. I have faith in Americans and I have to believe that even some of those who voted into office this administration will wake up and see the danger before us. God is in control and our trust is in Him, not the government.

Jeff , you obviously have touched a nerve with your honest recognition of how /what this move in government is doing to all of us . My husband and I have been self -employed for 20 years , we will be married 24 yrs in June and have 4 children / 1 in college . We have felt the strains on our business throughout the years when the economy goes through its ups/downs – this year has finally completed its damage and we had to find other work to augment our income . My husband has been working 2/3 jobs – was let go in January – its a mess – and unemployment is a catch 22 – hourly work $6-7 per hr average at 40 hrs is slightly more than unemployment ( why bother will be the response of most )
    I feel the spirit of anger and despair towards those stealing our drive to want a better life BUT walls were meant to be knocked down – we are a very competitive people and come hell or high water we must stop this attempt to retool our whole since of who we are as a nation ! We are the land of the free and brave – Our will must prove to be stronger than the evil sickness of the liberal agenda which is one of OCD or narcissism ( someone else knows better than you what is best ) Fight America for Lady Liberty for your children for your life !
    All of us have a story to tell and the common thread that binds us is the injustice we are experiencing as well as the fact that we are all Americans aware that what is happening is tyranny / a destruction of our constitutional rights granted to us by the Almighty established as law by Good men 200+ years ago to prevent exactly what we are experiencing NOW . Question we have to ask ourselves are we cowards or do we have the guts to do what is necessary to protect the future for our children ?!
    Thank you Jeff / never compromise your dreams for the greatest life you can imagine – the Almighty lit that fire in you – don’t forget it !!!!

21. MaryAlice says:

and if take Obama’s advice to buy stocks — well this is what will happen

22. MUJERLATINA says:

Wow! I do appreciate the thoughts and prayers of the bloggers above. I agree that the MSM needs to hear my story — a story that echoes many of my colleagues. Somebody like Hannity or an investigative reporter should interview us ‘foot soldiers.’ Dr. Sarah Poczsatek is a DENTIST, and the dentists realized early on that physicians were being squeezed by insurance companies, deductibles etc. Most dentists really do well and are reimbursed for the work that they do. Physicians and Podiatrists are at the mercy of the companies — especially people like me whose mission is to help the medically indigent via Medicaid/managed Medicaid. About 20 years ago I worked in a Community Health Center (like the ones Obama is proposing to increase funding for…)and it was mostly staffed by young Residents who are learning to be doctors. I recall vividly that the four exam rooms had only one lightbulb for the gooseneck lamp –to SHARE — so when I would go to do a PAP on a patient, often I would have to call out for the lightbulb, wait for it to be brought from another room, screw it in, ALL whilst the poor patient was on the exam table awaiting her PAP!!!! Can you imagine this is the type of medical care for which Obama wants to increase funding?? This would be the demise of healthcare as we know it.

WELL SAID…

Does this sound like the road we’re being pulled?

“Totalitarianism (tōtăl’ĭtâr`ēənĭzəm), a modern autocratic government in which the state {Gov.} involves itself in all facets of society, including the daily life of its citizens. A totalitarian government seeks to control not only all economic and political matters but the attitudes, values, and beliefs of its population, erasing the distinction between state and society. The citizen’s duty to the state becomes the primary concern of the community, and the goal of the state is the replacement of existing society with a perfect society.”

“Various totalitarian systems, however, have different ideological goals. For example, of the states most commonly described as totalitarian—the Soviet Union under Stalin, Nazi Germany, and the People’s Republic of China under Mao—the Communist regimes of the Soviet Union and China sought the universal fulfillment of humankind through the establishment of a classless society (see communism); German National Socialism, on the other hand, attempted to establish the superiority of the so-called Aryan race.”

“The party is generally led by a dictator ☤ and, typically, participation in politics, especially voting, is compulsory. The party leadership maintains monopoly control over the governmental system, which includes the police, military, communications, and economic and education systems. Dissent is systematically suppressed and people terrorized by a secret police.”

Add this to the FEMA Camps and the “determined intent” of those “ruling” today – against the will of the American people. The puzzle pieces start coming together. Even the Mafia have a hand in this or there would be uprise (Union support).

“In addition, constitutional democracy and totalitarianism, as forms of the modern state, share many characteristics. In both, those in authority have a monopoly on the use of the nation’s military power and on certain forms of mass communication; and the suppression of dissent, especially during times of crisis, often occurs in democracies as well. Moreover, one-party systems are found in some nontotalitarian states, as are government-controlled economies and dictators.”

25. Dee says:

Jeff, Thank you for such a great article. I know what you are going through. When my children were younger, I went back for my Master’s degree. My husband and I were raising 3 small children, he worked full time, I had a part time job and went to graduate school part time. I felt like a part time social worker, a part time mother, and a part time wife. I sat beside students who could not write a simple sentence, who wanted to copy my notes, and were there on scholarships because they were minorities. I paid for my graduate degree myself. It was very frustrating. I thought that surely there were more deserving minority people who at least could speak correctly and write appropriately.

I have worked in the medical field for over 30 years. Mujerlatina, I have great respect for all doctors. They have a tremendous amount of responsibility and deserve every dime they earn. Keep up the good work.

Starys, you may want to contact the pharmecutical company that makes your child’s medications. Some of them have programs to help those who are having problems paying for the medicines.

This aritcle only emphasizes what I posted under another article about the man who owns his business, had built it up on his own and now employs 500 people and as a result of BO’s plan (I still have a hard time calling him President), will pay so much in taxes that he is considering closing his business.

Keep working, Jeff. It will be worth it in the end.
    Thank you all so much for such intellectual stimulation. I’m not being financially stimulated!

26. Jan C says:

Haven’t read the rest of the comments but a way to keep helping people but not surpass the 250,000 limit would be to CHARGE LESS in the first place for both medical and legal service. Obviously attorney fees are UTTERLY outrageous and a disincentive to challenge wrongs done.

27. BUY YOUR BROWN SHIRTS NOW says:

sieg heil! it’s gonna be soooo hard to goosestep with this bad back of mine.

28. MaryAlice says:

This from Herman Cain and it’s the truth!

THIS IS SO INCREDIBLY WELL PUT I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE IT WAS WRITTEN BY A STUDENT !! OUTSTANDING !!!

DIVORCE AGREEMENT

Dear American liberals, leftists, social progressives, socialists, Marxists, and Obama supporters, et al:

We have stuck together since the late 1950′s, but the whole of this latest election process has made me realize that I want a divorce. I know we tolerated each other for many years for the sake of future generations, but sadly, this relationship has run its course. Our two ideological sides of America cannot and will not ever agree on what is right so let’s just end it on friendly terms. We can smile and chalk it up to irreconcilable differences and go our own way.

Here is a model separation agreement:

Our two groups can equitably divide up the country by landmass each taking a portion. That will be the difficult part, but I am sure our two sides can come to a friendly agreement. After that, it should be relatively easy! Our respective representatives can effortlessly divide other assets since both sides have such distinct and disparate tastes.

We don’t like re-distributive taxes so you can keep them. You are welcome to the liberal judges and the ACLU. Since you hate guns and war, we’ll take our firearms, the cops, the NRA and the military. You can keep Oprah, Michael Moore and Rosie O’Donnell (you are, however, responsible for finding a bio-diesel vehicle big enough to move all three of them…).

We’ll keep the capitalism, greedy corporations, pharmaceutical companies, Wal-Mart and Wall Street.. You can have your beloved homeless, home-boys, hippies and illegal aliens. We’ll keep the hot Alaskan hockey moms, greedy CEO’s, and rednecks. We’ll keep the Bibles and you get NBC and Hollywood.

You can make nice with Iran and Palestine and we’ll retain the right to invade and hammer places that threaten us. You can have the peace-niks and war protesters. When our allies or our way of life are under assault, we’ll help provide them security. We’ll keep our Judeo-Christian values. You are welcome to Islam, Scientology, Humanism, and Shirley McClain. You can also have the U.N., but we will no longer be paying the bill.

We’ll keep the SUVs, pickup trucks, and oversized luxury cars. You can take every Subaru station wagon you can find. You can give everyone healthcare if you can find any practicing doctors. We’ll continue to believe healthcare is a luxury and not a right.

We’ll keep The Battle Hymn of the Republic and the National Anthem. I’m sure you’ll be happy to substitute Imagine, I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing, and We Are the World.
    We’ll practice trickle down economics and you can give trickle up poverty your best shot. Since it often so offends you, we’ll keep our history, our name and our flag. In the spirit of friendly parting, I’ll bet you ANWAR which one of us will need whose help in 15 years.

Sincerely,
    John J. Wall
    Duke University Law Student and American

30. Cromagnum says:

Great post. This productivity enhancement will be a great help for the GDP. Way to go Messiah!
    /sarc

Has anyone run the numbers for what will happen to the non-profits when the tax deduction is removed/reduced for the ‘rich’? This has alot of ramifications across the US, such as charity availability, unemployment, and spiritdecorp.

And that will further cause more gov’t spending and taxes. Socialism is such a jail. (thanks GK Chesterton for that analogy)

Heartbreaking but very genuine story, Jeff, thank you. And your story is repeated by millions every day.

I hate to say it, but this all boils down to one thing, and why we are in this predicament: Affirmative action. This has been the scrouge of american society over the past few decades, where we don’t reward for merit, but we reward for race. And you know as well as I do that there is only one reason why the Usurper won, despite his completely blank resume, lack of economic experience, lack of foreign policy experience, dangerous associations…etc……because of his race. People were so starved for “change”, they saw that as a new direction. And on top of that, no one dared challenge him, or question him, on anything, because of fears of the race card.

It was racism in it’s worst form. It was affirmative action in its worst form.

Countries like Russia, China, Japan, or any thriving country really, reward on merit. They compete for jobs, they compete for positions in schools, they compete for government positions. Only the best of the best.

Instead, the US has chosen to choose on color of skin. Merit goes out the window. And hence, we aspire to mediocrity. Is it any wonder that America is going down the tubes? How are we expected to compete against other nations who reward and advance on merit?

And on top of all of that, the Usurper wants to punish those who are successful. It doesn’t take an idiot to see how we will quickly spiral down into mediocrity.

Just like the doc with that heartbreaking post at the top. This is one of few docs who has that dedication to community medicine. If he doesn’t care for these patients, then who will? Well, they will go to the ER, drain hospitals of resources, which raises costs of health care for the rest of us, further burderning those who work hard.

SPIRAL…… downward.

And yet, the Usurper’s approval ratings are at an all time high, according to NBC news. either they are fixing the polls, or Americans are just plain nuts.

It’s like we are just hoping for failure.

I just get the news today, that my son-in-law who is(was) working for Tyco in Texas, lost his job. They have three small children and he was the only one working. I don’t know what they will do? I never thought when I left a communist country from EU 30 years ago to make a better life for my children that a day will come when the American people is heading fast toward to a system that will destroy every human will and dignity. I still believe, we can stop those who would bring the dark days of communism in this great Country.

33. PattyW says:

I just read this piece and I am so thankful you are here, Jeff. This piece is a masterpiece.

Now on another subject…. When will the Republicans in Congress end the “We Won” argument by pointing out that THEY WON also???????

34. suek says:

Here’s a good article on the topic of just exactly how we’re going to pay back that deficit…

Dee said:

“Apparently, Rush has said things that are scaring the Dems. It’s amazing that they are spending so much time on him. I think they want to divert attention from what they are doing.”

Yep, you just summed the situation up as well as it can be. Rush hit a nerve. The demorrhoid leaders are also trying to portray Rush as the true leader of the Republican party for a subtler reason, though: it fires up their demorrhoid base and also has a negative effect (they hope) on a lot of moderates.

Dissent.