This Is Not the Reality We’re Looking For

House approves $410 spending bill

I must admit that, as liberal Democrats go, I like Congressman Joe Sestak. He served our country admirably. I’ve never seen or heard him be anywhere near disrespectful. And, whenever I get the chance to travel around his district, people from both sides of the political spectrum generally have good things to say about him.

At a friend’s house the other day, I had the chance to listen in as Congressman Sestak conducted a telephone town hall meeting, a conference call of sorts that he apparently does fairly often. Listen, I may not agree with the guy, but when I see an elected representative actually take interest in meeting with and talking with and gathering opinions from his constituents, that makes me happy.

Anyway, within only a few minutes of the telephone town hall meeting, it became apparent that Sestak wanted nothing to do with the characterization of any of the contents of the so-called “stimulus” bill as pork. Like Obama had said at his first press conference and again last night during his first address to a joint session of Congress, “there simply was no pork in that bill.”

I happen to disagree, as you know.

This evening, about a week after spending $787 billion on a so-called economic recovery package which will not work and only two days since having a summit on fiscal responsibility, the U.S. House of Representatives passed an additional $410 billion in spending. Some of the highlights include more than 8,000 earmarks:

• $59 million for Pacific salmon research
  • $5.8 million earmark for the “Ted Kennedy Institute for the Senate . . . for the planning and design of a building & an endowment”
  • $5.02 million for salaries at the Sugarbeet Disease and Oncology Labs (from Sen. Carl Levin)
  • $2.19 million for the Center for Grape Genetics (from Sen. Chuck Schumer)
  • $2 million for the promotion of astronomy in Hawaii
  • $1.79 million for swine odor and manure management
  • $1.76 million for a honeybee laboratory (from Texas Rep. Chet Edwards)
  • $1.04 million for fighting troublesome crickets in Utah
  • $819,000 for Catfish Genome Mapping (from Alabama Republican Richard Shelby), much of which could end up at my Alma Mater
  • $500,000 for a Senate “pilot program” designed to better make use of mass-mailing postcards
  • $500,000 for a fruit fly facility in Hawaii
  • $473,000 for the National Council of La Raza (from Sens. Bingaman and Menendez)
  • $400,000 for educator training designed to curb bullying at schools
  • $331,000 for research in shellfish technologies (from Virginia Sen. Jim Webb)
  • $254,000 for the Montana Sheep Institute
  • $238,000 for education programs at the Polynesian Voyaging Society
  • $209,000 for improvement of blueberry production and efficience (from Georgia Republican Saxby Chambliss)
  • $200,000 for a “Tattoo Removal Violence Prevention Outreach Program”
  • $190,000 for the Buffalo Bill Historical Center
  • $162,000 for rodent control in Hawaii
  • $143,000 for the expansion of natural history programs at a Las Vegas history museum (from Sen. Harry Reid)

According to various reports, earmarks such as these only make up 1.2 percent of the total bill, or $5 billion of the total $410 billion to be spent. Furthermore, if it weren’t for the down economy, some of the projects might be understandable. Still, that’s not the issue.

The issue here is the blatant fiscal irresponsibility — our House of Representatives, in just the past two weeks, has approved more than $1.5 trillion in spending if you count the “stimulus” bill, this spending bill, and the $275 billion housing rescue plan unveiled by the president last week. Worse yet, early estimates show that Obama’s healthcare plan will cost, at the very least, $630 billion over the next ten years. The issue here is honesty and accountability — the Democrats’ penchant for looking straight at the American people and lying to our faces must stop.

I’m afraid that the Democrats’ continued failure to confront reality will be akin to Han Solo trying in vain to use The Force. Eventually, the American people will realize that Barack Obama, as Han Solo, is not a Jedi Knight and is merely a man gracefully waving his hand in front of our faces and saying “these are the recovery measures you’re looking for.” Once Obama–Han Solo, remember–realizes that the Jedi Mind Trick has been rendered ineffective, the real question is whether he’ll resort to using his blaster and urging cooperation by force.

Comments

1. toto says:

In watching the address to congress, it occurred to me that, in showing all the senators and congressmen/women, I knew a lot of the names by just looking at their faces. Is it possible that some of them have been around so long, we can recognize them now? It also occurred to me that these people HAVE GOT TO GO. When we have the next election, I’m just going to vote against any of the encumbants, period. Since I live in Florida, one name that is gone, at least for me is Mel Martinez. Maybe if we all do this, we can get their attention.

2. cher-pa says:

Just found this info at Michelle Malkins blog.Tea party protest noon till 1:00pm Friday Feb 27th market square Pittsburgh Pa.There are many other protests around the country.Notify everyone you know.Friends,family.radio,news outlets.There are dozens of cities around the country planning these protests.Join the masses in peaceful demonstrations.Make your voice heard.It just might lower your blood pressure for a little while.

3. Bodenzee says:

I’d feel much safer if our leader had a background check too.

4. dc says:

I didn’t watch or listen to the talk, but I heard that there was much applause by the Dem’s – more than ever for a Pres.

My thought to that is I could stand up, clap and smile with glee every time someone put a “Mill in my kiddy” too!
    “Ka ching, ka ching!” Jackpot Junctions! Whoop-eee!! Talk more, more is better!” Just like the casino when you hit a big one! Their eyes bright with $$ signs!

“Thrill of the Trill”!!

Nothing like stealing and getting away with it to make a person feel alive! As long as it doesn’t come out of their pockets they’re fine.

Sad when “sticky fingers” are allowed to palm the money ~ that doesn’t even happen in the Monopoly game more than once (you learn who “not” to be the banker!). Time for them to get the “Community damage” card and suffer the consequences.

Let’s not give them the “Get out of jail free” card.

Received an email from ServiceNation.org asking for support of the Serve America Act:

“In his speech, President Obama placed service squarely at the center of his agenda by calling on Congress to pass the Serve America Act – the bipartisan legislation to engage more Americans in national and community service.”

I Googled it and read about a fourth of it. Let me put it this way: If Obama is FOR it, we need to BLOCK it! My stomach began to turn after only a fourth of it. It is full of INCENTIVES (taxpayers’ money) for college after they have been brainwashed at the community camps (in the name of “service”)in non-profit or government service. (Dopes the term “Brown Shirt” come to mind?) It is run by a non-profit (oh, really?!) organization that receives taxpayers’ money over a five-year period.

If ACORN isn’t involved in this somewhere, I’ll eat my computer!

Go get ‘em, Hannity! Good job!

6. Claudia says:

Bodenzee,

I would most certainly feel a LOT safer if he were forced to show his crdentials, eligibility and “Natural Born Citizen” proof….

Seems to me with all the other Occupations, Educational Institutions, Government beaurcracies/entities forcing every other CITIZEN in this Country to show proof of even being able to board a plane or get a job, play in a little league team baseball game, etc., that he (The ONE) should have to show his…..

I saw this guy on Hannity last night and he is completely convinced he is right. It seems like most democratic congressmen these days have a sick over-confidence that to me is quite scary.

8. tm says:

I agree with Anon 11:23
    I saw him also on hannity -
    ehh……another liberal, you just want to scream at them "shut up".

Off topic, but a worthy Listen.

Like Jeff said, it’s all an attempted Jedi Mind Trick. . . .

JV

Your headline says, “House approves $410 spending bill”

I thought to myself, now that’s the best news I’ve heard in decades!….then read on, and found that you left out the word ‘billion’ after $410.

If it sounds too good to be true, it DEFINITELY IS.

The Democrats and their President are on the road to destruction -their own and this country’s. Perhaps it is in retaliation for their loss to Bush, perhaps it is their attempt to seize power and keep it through manupulation of the masses and a form of hypnosis of the middle class promising the whatever anyone wants or maybe it is the short road to socialism. Whatever the underlying motivation, it is clear to many of us and becoming clearer to others as they wake up, this country is in trouble. Our elected officials no longer represent “we the people” and it is time to take back control. This can only be done by getting involved. Write to your representatives, start picketing when they give you the song and dance. Most have local offices find them and let them know what you think. Support a candidate that shares your views or run yourself. Join the party of your choice and make yourself and your views known become “active”. For if we are headed down the path of no return and we cannot alter it by the means available to us…then I believe there will be a revolt of taxpayers who will no longer contribute to this catasthrophic dismantling of our constitution, our nation, and our personal peace of mind.

12. La Muse Poetique says:

See I think where the problem comes in is that these are not necessarily bad ideas. They are things that I think should be in FUTURE planning. You know, once the economy gets better and we have the means to get the money to support it. And that’s the problem. These sound like good ideas so when you try to protest them you are seen as the “big bad wolf.”

Maybe we should change our focus and instead of shouting pork and earmarks we should respond with, good ideas that we should hold off until we have the money to pursue them? That way it doesn’t look like we just want to completely dismiss them.

13. Ian Thorpe says:

Yesterday on my blog, a post titled Hugging An African Does Not Help which satirically slams celebs like Bono for their publicity seeking charity work I was introduced by one commenter, in a quite clever contextual link to a new word, one of those wonderful German composite nouns like Shadenfreude, zeitgeist and weltschmerz (which for the curious means “A heartfelt longing for a place one has never been to.”

The new word was “Zwangsbeglückung” which, I’m told, means “making people happy by force.”

It seems Team Obama might already be working on an implementatioon of this principle.

Tell it like it is:

The Wall Street Journal’s Daniel Henniger calls Obama ‘a radical president’.

If you have a hard time finding his report, click business, then opinion.

You can read the article, watch the video, or listen to the podcast

…you can fool some of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time….

$2 million for the promotion of astronomy in Hawaii …

$500K for a fruit fly facility in Hawaii …

$162K for rodent control in Hawaii …

Hmmm. Could it be pay back time for not releasing BO’s birth certificate record?

While Obama waves his hands he is keeping his followers under his hypnotic control. When they finally get out of his control there will be repercussions. I live in a southern state and am amazed in how many Blacks were fooled by the color of Obama’s skin. Just because he was ‘Black’ they voted for him, without even looking into his background. Stupidity at it’s finest hour. Now they are realizing that they should not have voted for him. Too late, he has let Nancy and Harry lead the country into a depression while he is still in campaign mode.