February 23, 2009 — Assigned Reading

Governors v. Congress
(The Wall Street Journal) Please participate in the America’s Right poll on the right side of the page, and pick the option which best represents your perspective — I think you know where I stand. I think you also know how I feel about South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, and his comments in this Journal piece perhaps best provide an example of how the not-so-hidden strings in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act could further force the American people to be dependent upon the government, and could fiscally trap the states which take the money.

Consider South Carolina. Its annual budget is roughly $7 billion and the stimulus will send about $2.8 billion to the state over two years. But to spend the hundreds of millions of dollars allocated to the likes of Head Start, child care subsidies and special education, the state will have to enroll thousands of new families into the programs. “There’s no way politically we’re going to be able to push people out of the program in two years when the federal money runs out,” Mr. Sanford says.

Barack Obama keeps talking about “cable chatter” and about how we can “turn crisis into opportunity.” That’s not something we need. We need politicians who listen to the people, not dismiss them. We need measured movements by a limited government, not knee-jerk reactions taken because the political environment allows. I think it is important to remember that, as these Republican governors get maligned over the next few days and weeks, these governors are doing what our legislators should have done in the first place — tearing apart the legislation, line by line, and analyzing just how each and every provision will affect the American people.

The Problem With Nationalization

(FROM: The Wall Street Journal) Slowly and surely, we’re moving down the road toward socialism. You’d think that would be perceived as a bad thing, but there is certainly a segment of our population which looks at that prospect and says, “hey, that doesn’t sound so bad.” Send this article to those people, but be sure to read it first yourself. This is exactly the sort of thing that Vladimir Putin, that capitalist pig, warned us about a little less than a month ago.

Jed Babbin: Obama’s Failing Leadership
(FROM: Human Events) Fantastic piece by Jed Babbin at Human Events, in which he writes about how he has failed and how any chance for recovery is waning. I couldn’t agree with him more. An excerpt:

Obama has failed twice and there is little reason to believe his leadership will improve. His political character isn’t built on leadership skills. In the first two tests he hasn’t demonstrated it.

First, instead of crafting a stimulus bill himself — or even actively participating in it — Obama let the Pelosi Democrats run off with it. And their product was so bad — so full of pork and costly liberal nostrums that pass enormous fiscal burdens to the states — that several Democrats joined the unified House Republicans in voting against it. Now Obama is facing off with almost a dozen state governments that want to reject the money because of the strings attached.

The second failure was in building expectations about the new bank bailout plan that was announced last week by serial tax evader and Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner. Before Geithner unveiled the plan, Obama said, “He’s going to be terrific.” Again and again, Obama raised expectations, saying Geithner would be “clear and specific.”

Obama led the financial markets to believe that there would be a plan specific enough for them to rely on in making investments. But he defaulted to Geithner, apparently letting the supposed economic maestro devise and then describe a plan that was comprehensively vague.

Comments

Imagine one man having all that power to take down the strongest, richest country on this earth. IDIOT!!!!!

Thanks for all you do, Jeff. Love your blog!!

3. suek says:

I’m wondering if the situation may not get so bad that some of those who chose to ignore the birth certificate issue might rediscover it out of desperation…

If so…and if (I know – “if” is the biggest word in the dictionary) he can be shown to be ineligible for the presidency – what then? Who is president..McCain or Biden(heaven help us!)

4. tinkerthinker says:

Thanks for your blog, I like it!

But I don’t think Pelosi had a free hand with the stimulus,where do people get that idea? no, I think every word of it is what Obama wants, I don’t think he would give someone else his key bill to do without him. I don’t see him as someone who gives his power away. He may have let her add some things. But no it’s his bill.

5. tinkerthinker says:

The birth certificate thing is still on and growing, I don’t know why you quit posting about it. It’s what brought me to your blog. I am dissapointed about that.

6. Starys says:

Thanks so much for the eye opening blog Jeff. I have been lurking here for months. I followed a link about the birth certifacte issue and found myself intrigued by all the information and have made myself a more informed citizen because of you.

“Now Obama is facing off with almost a dozen state governments that want to reject the money because of the strings attached.”

It looks like more than a dozen are getting fed up with DC

26 States Claiming / Planning Sovereignty

I am watching this closely and curious about how it all will pan out.

Jeff, you do such a great job of keeping us informed & up to date. Thank you. Good article by Mr Babbin.

The comments were real eye-openers – no doubt in my mind that more people every day "get it", and understand that things can't go on as they have been going.

BTW, Sen Debbie Stabenow D./MI is the one leading the push for the "Fairness Doctrine". I haven't seen it mentioned, but her husband, Thomas Athans, is co-founder of the lib TalkUSA Radio Network, and ExecVP of lib Air America. But, not to worry, no conflict of interest…

bebe

8. sharon says:

Thank you Jeff, your writers are great contributors. I almost want to laugh, but it is not funny. I really never thought we would be here until he came into the picture and then it was quite clear we could be heading this way. Then I prayed that republicans could win seats in the house and senate but that was not to be. If we are fortunate to gain in 2010 and stop some of it, I am not clear what strides we can make in stopping the madness. How do people vote for a republican party after they get used to having things provided for them from the government? I just don’t know. Suek, I am not sure who would be the president, Pelosi?

9. sneese says:

I would like to see more updates on the Birth Certificate issues also, like the rep from Nashville, Tenn. that now supports another inquiry into this investigation.

10. MaryAlice says:

Isn’t this how socialist countries operate!! Isn’t how the Soviet Union fell, non productive!

From a pragmatist to me to you.

Shortly after class, an economics student approaches his economics professor and says, “I don’t understand this stimulus bill. Can you explain it to me?”

The professor replied, “I don’t have any time to explain it at my office, but if you come over to my house on Saturday and help me with my weekend project, I’ll be glad to explain it to you.” The student agreed.

At the agreed-upon time, the student showed up at the professor’s house. The professor stated that the weekend project involved his backyard pool.

They both went out back to the pool, and the professor handed the student a bucket. Demonstrating with his own bucket, the professor said, “First, go over to the deep end, and fill your bucket with as much water as you can.” The student did as he was instructed.

The professor then continued, “Follow me over to the shallow end, and then dump all the water from your bucket into it.” The student was naturally confused, but did as he was told.

The professor then explained they were going to do this many more times, and began walking back to the deep end of the pool.

The confused student asked, “Excuse me, but why are we doing this?”

The professor matter-of-factly stated that he was trying to make the shallow end much deeper.

The student didn’t think the economics professor was serious, but figured that he would find out the real story soon enough.

However, after the 6th trip between the shallow end and the deep end, the student began to become worried that his economics professor had gone mad. The student finally replied, “All we’re doing is wasting valuable time and effort on unproductive pursuits. Even worse, when this process is all over, everything will be at the same level it was before, so all you’ll really have accomplished is the destruction of what could have been truly productive action!”

The professor put down his bucket and replied with a smile, “Congratulations. You now understand the stimulus bill.”

11. MaryAlice says:

This morning, Guantanamo Bay detainee Binyam Mohamed landed in England at 8:30 EST – a free man. Mohamed was captured in Pakistan in April, 2002, and has admitted to training at various Al-Qaeda training camps and is alleged to have plotted multiple attacks on American soil.
    Included in his laundry list of terrorist activities are:

Training at various Al-Qaeda training camps, where he specialized in firearms and explosives
    Being taught by senior Al-Qaeda leaders how to falsify documents
    Receiving money by Al-Qaeda leaders to travel to the United States
    Tasked by senior Al-Qaeda leaders to blow up high-rise apartment buildings in the United States
    Holding meetings with Saif al Adel (a top level al Qaeda planner and leader) and Khalid Sheik Mohammed (9/11 mastermind)

This unprecedented release puts the national security of our country and our allies at SERIOUS risk. Now that Binyam is back in England, British police have proclaimed the unfathomable – that it is “unlikely Mr. Mohamed would be arrested.” :x

We should take action now before Binyam rejoins the fight to kill innocent Americans. Please visit http://www.DontFreeTerrorists.org and sign the petition that lets the Administration know that we need to protect our country and keep terrorists locked up (as if this will help
    A video of this terrrorist is also on the website.

12. Lisa says:

Do you think that Binyad Mohammed and Barak Hussein Obama were in the same Al Qaida graduating class specializing in “falsifying documents”?

Hmmm…………