From what I’m hearing (UPDATE: and from what the Associated Press now confirms), Border Patrol Agents Jose Compean and Ignacio Ramos may be freed today, four weeks after their sentences were commuted by former President George W. Bush on his last full day in office.

For Compean and Ramos to be unshackled today would be significant in two ways, the first of course being that these two men would finally be able to return home to their families after serving 762 days–762 days too long, if you ask me–on a 4015-day sentence, and the second being that, as of today, it has been four years to the day since the incident which landed the pair in prison thanks to an overzealous and utterly irresponsible prosecutor and a former president that, at the time, seemingly just didn’t give a damn.

Ignacio Ramos turned 40 years old on February 5, and according to a Web site maintained by his family (I think), two days before that, his family was informed that he and Jose Compean could be eligible to leave federal prison, where they have spent the vast majority of time in solitary confinement, well before their scheduled release date of March 20. God, I hope so.

In the meantime, I could go on for hours about the circumstances which resulted in the imprisonment of these men, but now is not a time for venom and for vitriol. If the rumors are correct, I’m far too happy to do so.

Remember, I have not been able to substantiate the rumors and rumblings, but I certainly hope to be correct. If so, without a doubt, today is a day for celebration.

(At least until the current president signs the so-called “stimulus” bill . . . then, I’m back to being angry.)

Comments

1. Amy says:

I am so happy for them and their families. They should not have been in jail in the first place.

Now, if only justice would come to J. Sutton!

They were indeed released at about 3:00 a.m. Mountain Time according to the following:

2. Laurie says:

Jeff…I did hear this also and believe it to be true. Time to break out the “bubblie” and the horns and streamers.

This is a long time coming for these guys and they deserve to celebrate!!

Glenn Beck said today that they were supposed to have an interview today in a couple of hours. Then he mentioned more info that just came in that conditions were now set that the men were forbidden to do interviews.

Yes, as a matter of fact they are scheduled to be on Glenn Beck’s show on that awful FOX network…4:00 eastern / 5:00 central.

5. Lisa says:

Fox News is reporting that Compean and Ramos have in fact been released.

Some good news for a change. I’m glad that these patriots are back at home with their families.

6. Lisa says:

BTW… they will serve time via home confinement until thier sentences are up on March 20th.

7. CAL says:

Thank God that these men will be free. They never deserved this. No person who puts himself on the line to protect this country should be treated the way they were.

8. MaryAlice says:

Jeff: Not to be angry

Look at this Alternative to the Stimulus Bill from AmericanSolutions.com and Newt Gingrich

9. Claudia says:

Hannity was going to have an interview with one ofo them also, I guess both beck’s and Hannity’s are off limits now, because of some “restrictions” placed on them at the last minute taht don’t allow them to talk??? WTF, they have been locked up for two years ILLEGALLY, in my opinion and now they aren’t allowed to even talk to anyone about it!!!!!!

I am very happy they are out, for they should never have been incarcerated in the first place, and I am sure that the families are overcome with huge smiles right now. GOD BLESS ALL OF THEM.

Something bad should happen to Sutton……

10. Dale Kemp says:

I just read Newt’s plan. I like it. But it would take a revolution in Washington to make it happen.

Jeff:
    Thank God they are now free. I can’t imagine how they will heal??? Was Ramos was kept in solitary confinement 23 hours/day for almost his entire illegal confinement? Gee is that a FORM OF TORTURE LIKE WATERBOARDING?? There are only two things that I look forward to now. Will the Supreme court vidicate these two ‘innocent’ men by reveresing the remaining charges and when WILL OBAMA FIRE SUTTON !!!!!!

12. tm says:

The can NOT do Interviews until appeal process is over and they have a very good appeal in the works that is why President Bush “commuted” instead of pardon
    They need to be vindicated through the courts -there are alot of facts that cannot be brought out as of right now.

Characterizing Ramos and Compean’s incarceration as a “political prosecution,” Rep. Ted Poe, R-Texas, called for a congressional investigation into alleged prosecutorial misconduct by El Paso U.S. Attorney J. Sutton under the direction of Bush administration Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

Poe also called for an investigation into the alleged role of the Mexican government in demanding that Ramos and Compean be prosecuted.

“As soon as President Bush commuted Ramos and Compean’s sentences, the Mexican government registered a large protest,” Poe noted.

“In their protest, the Mexican government admitted their involvement in the case without specifying what their involvement was,” he added.

“So I think the first order of business is for the U.S. Congress to investigate what role the Mexican government had in demanding the Bush administration prosecute this case,” he insisted. “Mexico should not be meddling into U.S. criminal cases

13. TROUBELSHOOTER says:

Father God…
    In the name of Jesus I thank you!
    This nation has wondered far, very far from who you would have her to be: AMERICA the Republic!
    Thank you for your mercy and grace in keeping not only Compean and Ramos safe but equally their families.
    I ask for your forgiveness in the matters where I personally failed to do my part; and lift up the corruption…the evil of our countries that even allowed this to become what it was. May our eyes and hearts be opened to the direction we should go to recover the foundation principals so that we might be refreshed so as to occupy till that time…
    AMEN…and amen