The Gang of Three

By Ronald Glenn & Jeff Schreiber
America’s Right

Yesterday, of course, the Senate passed its version of the Obama-Pelosi “stimulus” package, much to the dismay of conservatives and capitalists everywhere. This nightmare, as we suspected for a while and as we now know, was to be made possible with the complicity of wayward, turncoat Republicans — in this case, it was Sens. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania and Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine who dumped the road to socialism on a weary American public.

The Associated Press yesterday wrote that Specter, Snowe and Collings “broke ranks to cast their votes to advance the bill.” But why? What, pray tell, was the point of handing Obama his “victory” when the rest of the Republican party voted against this matter in both the House and Senate? Why resist the Republican resurgence? No one believes they did this for the good of the nation; that excuse defies logic if any of these three senators have a single conservative bone in their bodies. It was betrayal, plain and simple. Collins, for example, was put into office through the donations of thousands of Republican voters from coast to coast for the precise reason that she could protect the filibuster, yet not only did she have no problem throwing away that responsibility, she was actually one of the driving forces besides what the Democratic Party and their flunkies in the mainstream media called a “compromise.”

So, why do some senators and congressmen betray their parties?

Of course, that “R” or “D” at the back end of an elected official’s name at the bottom of the television screen does not mean that he or she is somehow obligated to act or vote a certain way. Senators and congressmen have been known to go their own way — Arizona Sen. John McCain made a career of doing so, and has had no qualms about reminding everyone about how he’s such a “maverick.” And, of course, Specter’s conservative creditials have similarly questioned for many years. From a commentary by A.W.R. Hawkins at Human Events:

While Specter claims to be a Republican, he has only voted with the Republican Party about 44% of the time since the early 1990s. Just imagine if a college basketball player or even a high school quarterback did that: if they passed the ball to members of their team 44% of the time, and 56% to the other team. How long would it be before they were booted out of the arena? [...]

National Review Online reported that during George W. Bush’s first term, “Specter was one of only three Republicans who tried to eviscerate the Bush tax cut; he was the only Republican in the Senate to vote against the Washington, D.C. school-voucher bill; and he was ranked by the Citizens Against Government Waste as the ‘Pork Spender of the Year’” during one of Bush’s first four years.

Why do we keep re-electing this guy to our team every six years folks? He’s much worse than someone who’s not a team player: he’s always fumbling intentionally to the other team and giving them wins they wouldn’t otherwise get.

At the root of all? Principles. Some politicians have them, and some do not. Similarly, one person’s “maverick” is another person’s prototypical possessor of a gelatinous spine. Just as McCain–undoubtedly an American hero, but that’s not the point here–repeatedly has betrayed his party and many of the Republican voters who put him into office with his efforts to enact campaign finance reform, to provide amnesty for illegals, to lay the groundwork for cap-and-trade legislation and more, Specter has repeatedly sold the GOP and his constituents down the river when given the chance, whether it was more than twenty years ago with Robert Bork, or yesterday with the so-called “stimulus” bill.

Ever wonder why liberals, such as President Obama and Sen. John Kerry, for example, are so quick to back-track on their own arguments at a moment’s notice? Why they’re willing to be “for” something before they are “against” it? It’s the same underlying factor which caused Specter, Snowe and Collins to “break ranks” yesterday — lack of principles.

Some politicians–such as our founding fathers, for example–believe with the very depths of their souls in the merits of a limited government, in lower taxes, a strong national defense and an impartial and originalist judiciary. Others are a bit more wishy-washy. And it is that lack of principles which keeps left-leaning politicans stumbling and stammering and searching for how they’re supposed to feel, what they’re supposed to say, what the most recent polls show the right path to be.

That’s part of the problem with politicians like Specter, Snowe and Collins. While John McCain, for example, is undoubtedly an American through-and-through, his principles can legitimately be called into question. Just as one cannot properly and logically argue in favor of affirmative action and racial equality in the same breath, McCain cannot support strict constructionist appointments to the federal bench while, at the same time, advocating the stifling of political speech through his Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act. Similarly, arguing in favor of cap-and-trade legislation while simultaneously advocating limited government involvement in business and industry just doesn’t make sense.

What we saw yesterday from Specter, Snowe and Collins reeked of all that endless babble we saw from McCain, who yammered on throughout the primary and general elections of 2008 about his abillity to “reach across the aisle.” The Democrats, led by President Obama, may drone on and on about how our crisis requires immediate action — but, similarly, it can be argued that when the ship is sinking, no one is pulled to safety by joining hands. Everyone drowns together. At this point, we don’t need a “kum ba yah” moment; we need somebody to build a seaworthy life boat, and teach the rest of us how to build more. If there was ever a moment that required absolute party discipline, this moment was it.

These last three days should be a warning to everyone who thinks the answer to everything in politics is bipartisanship. In recent history, bipartisanship has brought us campaign finance reform, comprehensive immigration reform, the Community Reinvestment Act, the [thankfully failed] McCain-Lieberman Climate Stewardship Act, the TARP bill, and now the bacon-wrapped so-called “stimulus” package.

Crisis may demand action, but it demands principled action. And it is about time we find someone with such principles to lead us out of this morass. Bureaucrats like Arlen Specter, Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins are doing more harm than good.

—————
Ronald Glenn has worked in real estate and law for more than twenty years. He now works in Philadelphia, and lives outside the city with his wife. Ron has been writing for America’s Right since January 2009.

Jeff Schreiber started America’s Right in January 2008.

Comments

1. JeanWTPUSA says:

Great Post Ron. You said it exactly as it needed to be said!

We can not wait for their elections to come up. These three need to be removed from their positions today, before they can cause anymore trouble!

3. tm says:

Look what I found – Very very Interesting :

Electronic Run On Banks – $550 Billion Withdrawn In 1 Hour, Federal Reserve Halts Withdrawls – US Economy Would Have Collapsed

>'[It] just doesn't make sense.' <

“The American people really don't care." – Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), 2/10/09

"American people don't care about statements that people make that may not be totally accurate." — Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV), 6/9/05

''It's not realistic for Democrats to have a coherent voice." – Wesley Clark, 6/30/05

Well said. There will be one less Republican from Maine in 2010.

6. bdaman says:

There is no need for Patriots to wait for a full election cycle to replace corrupt public officials and take back YOUR government! Use the power of a Recall Petition.

It worked in 2003 in California to replace Grey Davis… except that it was a op to get Arnold Schwarzenegger in who otherwise couldn’t have gotten elected.

We can use this! Gather all the Patriots in your state, pick a town that’s corrupt. File legal residency, and start a recall petition. Usually, you have 90 days to get all the names.

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi…cgi? read=140912
    bdaman | 02.09.09 – 9:51 pm | #

Good Read….if the Republican Party is ever going to rebuild, it needs to rid itself of those who betray the principles of the party.
    We need to convey our thoughts to them thru e-mails and phone calls and find better candidates to support when they face re-election.

8. TROUBLESHOOTER says:

DATE LINE D.C. …
    ONCE AGAIN IN THE SHADOW OF THE OBELISK THE SO CALLED PEOPLE’S SENATE GAVE THE THIRD FINGER SALUTE TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!!

HAVING MONITORED…CALLER DRIVEN LOCAL, STATE AND LATER IN THE WEE HOURS OF TODAY A NATIONALLY SYNDICATED SHOW…REPEATEDLY CALLER AFTER CALLER VOICED THEIR TRAUMAS REFERENCING THE PAST DAYS EXPERIENCES IN ATTEMPTS AT REDRESS IN THE MATTERS OF THE SO CALLED STIMULUS PACKAGE. TYPICALLY LESS THAN 5 PERSONS EXPRESSED THE NECESSITY OF THESE USURPATIONS ON THE OTHER HAND AN OVERWHELMING MAJORITY FELT OTHERWISE. ADDITIONALLY SIGNIFICANT SPENDING DISBURSEMENTS WERE EXPOSED BY MIKE ‘MISH’ SHEDLOCK (http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/) SHEDDING EVEN MORE LIGHT ON THE FOLLY OF THE TYRANTS.

IN LIGHT OF THE IMPRESSIVE POSTS FOUND HERE WOULD YA…COULD YA STEP AWAY FROM THE REPEATED INJURY OF UNCONSTITUTIONAL ACTIONS BY THE TWO PARTY SYSTEM LONG ENOUGH TO TRY PURGING THE PEOPLE’S CAPITOL? HOW YOU MAY ASK… AGAIN THE IDEA OF BOB SCHULTZ …WE THE PEOPLE FOUNDATION:
    (http://www.wethepeoplefoundation.org/UPDATE/Update2009-02-01.htm)
    Ed. note: This update regards the upcoming historic Continental Congress 2009 event to be held later this winter. As part of CC 2009, delegates selected by the People from each of the fifty states will convene to discuss the Government’s ongoing violations of the Constitution and strategies the People can employ to peaceably curtail the abuse. Although these violations have been widely debated for years, it is the Government’s patent refusal to respond to any and all First Amendment Petitions for Redress that now compel the People to justly and actively resist the tyranny.

Right on, guys!

I am still shaking my head over Obama’s statement that there was not one earmark in the stimulus package!

One bill after the other is introduced–I think there were 500 before a week was up. HOW can those Reps and Sens KNOW what is buried with all those pages? Obama wants them passed “YESTERDAY!” This keeps rattling around in my head, and I wish the answer were that everyone has taken a speed-reading course.

There are those, of course, such as Obama, who just say that there is no pork in the bill, when a first grader can see that there is nothing for the economy–unless you happen to have supported Obama’s campaign. There’s plenty of stimulus for their personal economic condition.

Have you noticed what happens to the stock market every time Obama opens his mouth? Remember the picture of the “Wall St.” street sign? The arrow on it pointing towards the right must have been added by a liberal; it should have pointed DOWN–as the stocks are going.

I love you guys–Jeff, the writers, the great folks who come in to comment–I love you all. Thank you for your help and information.

And, Jeff, thanks for not putting up my comments when I get really riled. I’m a writer, and writing is my outlet to keep the men in white coats away. I think you have me pegged! (Buckshot likes you, too.)

no european socialist party would do what this man has done,
    this porklus bill, is like a political diarrhea, HOW CAN ANY GOVT. PUT ANY BILL(800pgs) THRU THE CONGRESS AND THE SENATE IN LESS THAN A MONTH AFTER LANDING AT THE WH, with no commitees,this all was all the way prepared long before the primaries, HOW IS BEHIND ALL THIS,???. my guess is that the gavinet´s members are puppets together with the crowned, how moves the strings??,THE BILL IS A SECRET CODE , IT IS LIKE A SACRED CODE,WHAT IS BEHIND THAT CODE????
    WHERE ARE WE HEADING??>>>??? TO THE CHAVEZ´S, CASTRO´S, EVO MORALES´S ARCHEOTYPE FORM OF GOVERMENT???'

i think ayer and his anti- america´s friends are having a ball

As I continue to watch our country spiral down the toilet, I find myself asking “How helpless are we in this gigantic mess?” If all we can do is band together and vent our feelings and frustrations in conservative blogs and groups, will that move us to the point of somehow effecting a change of course? Don’t get me wrong I love coming here where its warm and friendly my brothers and sisters, but I’m hoping that we are realizing that we may have to march on Washington with pitchforks before we even start to make an impact. Before the election we were all (conservatives) screaming out about eligibility, radical terrorist associations, socialist views, Racists hate mongering ‘pastors’, lack of experience and ethics, and on and on that would have and should have derailed any other politian but no one listened. It did not matter. The Messiah would fix everything here and abroad. If your older than 35 years (sorry most younger americans have been indoctrinated with liberal tollerances since pre kindergarden)you just didn’t think you would see the day we would elect a socialist. So here I am raving and ranting in disbelief of how fast our liberties and freedoms are being taken away and I was wondering just how far this could go. Consider this… if they begin to and then succeed at silencing talk radio, (BTW who told all the talk show guys to shut up (pre-election) completely, don’t ever say another word about Barry’s eligibility? Whoever did that must have been pretty powerful because they complied immediately, did you notice?), how far can we be from complete government censorship, could we someday in the near future not be aloud to have dissenting points of view in blogs like this? The things you and I thought outlandish just months ago are taking shape today. I guess the real test as far as I’m concerned is how far they get with taking our guns away, just months ago I thought that will never happen just let them try and if they think “Prohibition” was a failed experiment, wait till they see the civil unrest on that… they will have a revolution on their hands.(maybe that’s why he wants his own private non-military security force) I hope I’m right about that but I’m going to consider that benchmark to be the last stand. If we lose that their will be nothing left and no way to get it back.

Stimulus or no stimulus:

I am a survivor, according to many who have told me that they would have caved under conditions that fate has thrust upon me in my lifetime. I can survive because my daddy taught me I could do anything I set my mind to (just getting me to set my mind to it was the hard part).

I would rather face–and fight to survive–this recession than to have my freedom sopped up by a governmental sponge. My thinking is a lot like that of a recovering alcoholic: If I have a problem and decide to drink to escape from it, what happens? (1) Drinking did not take away the problem; (2) I now have another problem: I’d be drunk!

We are in a recession. If we “do” the “stimulus,” we’re not going to do away with the recession, and we will have a second problem: We have lost our freedom to governmental control over our lives.

Think about it! We are not children; we do not want or need Obama as a parent. My daddy never, EVER told me a lie. If you tell me a lie, I don’t trust you. Trust is something that is EARNED, not demanded. Obama has lied to us. “Not a single earmark in the stimulus package.” “Economists say that ONLY GOVERNMENT can bring us out of this crisis.”

I may be slow, but when I hear “CRISIS,” I want my reps to vote against anything (and everything) connected with it. It is like the words, “Yeah, but….” When you are explaining something to a person and they begin their reply with “Yeah, but,” THEY AREN’T LISTENING!

13. Seeks Truth says:

I have long wondered if “GOP” plants were not a part of the Dem’s plan. They know people are too stupid to look beyond the letter next to someone’s name.

I have also written the GOP to see if we can kick people out if they don’t meet some minimal criteria. Yes, I want them to think independently but this is outrageous.

14. BlueWater says:

My juvenile vocabulary of moron, imbecile, idiot, butthead, rock for brains, etc. is worthless. What we are talking about is a party that dominated under Reagan, and again when they forced a balanced budget under Clinton, who has bought into the gradual seepage of liberal sewage. We can’t offend anyone, we have to invite everyone, we have to work together, etc. These philosophies get a foothold when Biblical reasoning is thrown out. The so-called separation of church and state is merely code for “Democrat”. It makes it a crime to consult anything other than feelings when making decisions. We have had two sterling examples of conservative domination in my lifetime, but winning has become passe, fighting is bad, and drawing lines in the sand is punishable by environmental laws against altering the landscape. You want fairness? Get FoxNews on basic cable instead of making people pay extra for it. Fight for debates on public access television instead of cable. Get out your Bible and speak the language. Get over the fact that someone might feel bad and relish in the opportunity it presents for them to grow out of their infantile existence. Go ahead, slam my narrowness and embrace your demise. You can’t hit me hard enough to effect me or to make yourself feel any better.

15. Hal Klein says:

I realize that this isn't the correct place to post this, but a friend just sent me this link, and I found it interesting. Jeff, have you seen this yet?

16. carder says:

Can I hear an amen?

17. Seeks Truth says:

Bluewater,
    Amen! I saw this amazing video the other day about laminin, the glue that holds all things together in our bodies. Consider the shape of this protein under the microscope! When laminin is gone, our bodies fall apart. When we take God out of our society, we fall apart too.

18. Ian Thorpe says:

You have praised former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher many times in the blog. I’ll just remind you now it was Maggie who said “In politics there are no principles only expedients.”

I have written in my UK blog many times that the way the two party system operates in Britain is anti-democracy because the partys demand a Member of Parliament’s primary loyalty is to party hierarchy while the constitution (yes we do actually have one) states the members are elected to act in the interests of their consituents.
    I believe there is nothing to stop a US Republican from being a liberal or a Democrat from being a conservative.

So look at it this way. The three Reps to vote for the stimulus could have done the party a favour. The stimulus will fail bigtime, an extra three million community organisers are not going to stimulate anything, had it been derailed though a watered down compromise would have failed just as disastrously and the Republicans could be blamed for its failure because they did not support the original.

Now that escape hatch is no longer available. Though changes have been made the bill is unmistakably Obama’s stimulus. The Republicans can claim the bulk of the party were right to oppose it though.

Politics is not described as Machiavellian for nothing.

19. Seeks Truth says:

Bluewater,
    Martin Luther’s On Secular Authority was the basis for our separation between church and state. It is not what people call separation between church and state today AT ALL!

Check out Never Before in History, by Amos & Gardener. This would surely be a banned book in our public schools b/c it tells the truth.

On Amazon I love the dissenter's points of view… "it is now widely assumed that religion played a minimal role in forming America’s founding ideals.” Yep, assumed is the operative word b/c Never Before in History lists primary source upon primary source for references. Well researched. But let’s not let a little thing like truth get in the way of our belief system. Sheesh!

Glad to see the main stream media is on the job probing into the more difficult issues facing our political system.

What a joke.

There really is no place for a moderate republican???

Here’s another site with no place else to post it. Michael Savage is being asked to join The Patriotic Resistance. To join the Resist.Net at that group, either click Here or cut and paste this: http://www.resistnet.com/group/thesavagenationonthepatrioticreisitance.

Thanks. I gave them the web address for America’s Right, too.

A man called into the Michael Savage show a few days ago and gave a great explanation of what is going on with the Obama Admin. He was involved in the campaign in Chicago but became concerned about what was happening. It was explained to him that the plan is to create a gigantic job patronage system in the country so that workers are obligated to vote Democratic in order to keep their jobs (this is how it is done in Chicago). Then with the amnesty for illegal aliens and control of the census, they will have complete control over who is elected and this will abolish the two party system in America. Ohhhbama’s backers are so well organized and supported by big money, they have a noose around our necks. If we don’t fight back it will soon be too late because they are moving with utmost speed as they use the desperation of our citizens and the economy to ram this spending package down our throats. Something must be done quickly and maybe a revolution and anarchy is the only way…if so, I am ready to march or whatever we need to do to give our nation back to the people. I refuse to concede my country to this usurper and his gang of thugs! You can hear the call on Atlas Shrugs…scroll down until you find it.

24. Dee says:

Gail B, When you said that you were surprised that BO said there was no pork in this bill, I felt the same way and is why I said in my last post that he must not have read this bill. Apparently he is thinking of the pork in the oven or the pork on the farm, entirely different than the pork I am thinking of. I guess it depends on “what is is”.
    Chuck Schumer has said that the “chatterers” should know that the American people do NOT care about “the Porky projects”. Where did these people come from?
    My husband has been very worried about the country and our safety under Obama since he started his campaign.
    Thank you Jeff and all you bloggers.

25. CAL says:

Thank you for saying it – bipartisianship is not good for this country. We need leaders with clear convictions. I heard today that the democrats are not letting any republicans into the conference committee to reconcile the versions of the stimulus bill. Maybe this will open the turncoats’ eyes a little bit and they will see that they are just being used.

Sign the petition for no stimulus at http://nostimulus.com/

Almost 400,000 have already signed.

27. cjt1101 says:

Also, I think it’s interesting that, of the four senators you castigate as unprincipled and otherwise generally attack here, three (Specter, Snowe and McCain) are named in a list of “America’s 10 Best Senators” that Time Magazine published in 2006.

28. MUJERLATINA says:

I think this whole thing was conceived by the likes of Daschle et al. AS a Family Practice doctor I am disgusted by the insertion of Dashle’s Socialistic ‘Big Brother’ medical plan that was slipped into this spendu-lust bill. Medicine is on the verge of collapse and the likes of Obama, Dashle, Gov. Patterson (NY State) and the trial lawyers are laughing all the way to the bank. I can barely practice the art/science of medicine now, imagine after this medical bill passes? I have not left my country, I feel my country has left me…

29. Jeff Schreiber says:

cjt1101 said…

In 1938, Time Magazine named Adolph Hitler its Man of the Year. About nine months after that issue came out, Hitler invaded Poland.

Time also has run Obama on its cover HOW MANY TIMES?

So much for Time as a bastion of excellent judgment.

I encourage all of you to watch this Academic Presentation…

"The Coming Collapse of the Middle Class" presentation at UC Berkley featuring Elizabeth Warren, Harvard Law Professor.

Jeff… Can you get more info on Elizabeth Warren?

32. CAL says:

When are these three senators up for re-election? I do not know how this could be accomplished, but I would love to donate to a fund that was set aside for the defeat of these three senators in their next election campaigns.

cjt1101–

Put that in you pipe and smoke it!

(Thanks, Jeff.)

I was reading the posts to Tom, and he laughed and said, “_Time_ is as liberal as it gets.” Tom doesn’t waste his time with it.

34. toto says:

With Specter, I wouldn’t expect anything but. How can you actually believe someone who was on the Warren Commission? He was full of crap then, and he’s full of crap now.

As for the other two, I don’t know much about them, but they sure don’t sound like republicans to me. Somehow we need to make them stop, we now will have a budget that even our great great grandchildren can’t payoff. Especially when the birth rates of this country are barely able to keep with the death rate. What happens when births become less than deaths, then they’ll have no one to pay these taxes, and for sure then we’ll all be saying Heil Obama, or whoever.

35. Whats_up says:

cjt1101,

Notice that Jeff didnt answer your question, it would be nice to know what he actually thought. IMHO they cant grasp that someone might actually disagree with them and then vote on the principal, so to those who disagree Spector and the other two arent voting on principal no matter that Spector truly beleives that something must be done. To be fair many on the left have this problem as well.

Also dont put to much into what TIME says, as has been pointed out TIME’s selections sometimes are astounding.

To those who wanted to know when the Senators are up for re-election, Spector is in 2010, I think the other two are in 2012

36. Jeff Schreiber says:

Sorry — I DID duck that one. It wasn’t intentional.

I guess I’m honestly skeptical as to whether snake-like politicians such as our Gang of Three even know what they think. That’s kind of what I was going after, along with Ron, when we talked about a lack of principles.

Some people, I guess, are more motivated by the trappings of political power.

If, hypothetically, they DO believe the stimulus package to be in the best interests of the country, then go for it. The problem, however, is that more than a few Democrats have their doubts, but they stay in line — the GOP should, too, especially on something so fundamental as this.

37. cjt1101 says:

Jeff Schreiber said:

Time also has run Obama on its cover HOW MANY TIMES?

So much for Time as a bastion of excellent judgment.

Jeff (and, for good measure, Gail B)

Time gives its “Man of the Year” (now “Person of the Year” award) to the “man, woman, couple, group, idea, place, or machine that for better or for worse, has done the most to influence the events of the year.” (emphasis mine). Other past winners include Stalin (twice) and Ayatollah Khomeini. It’s given to the person whose actions are the most impactful, not the most admirable.

So, seen in light of the actual criteria, the choice of Adolf Hitler in 1938 was actually extremely appropriate, almost prescient.

cjt1101–

“Jeff, I’m curious: Although I noticed you dismissed this possibility right out of hand, hypothetically speaking, if Specter, Collins and Snowe did actually think that the stimulus package was in the best interests of the country, would you still argue that they should’ve voted against it anyway, because it’s not steeped in conservative principles?”
    The way you worded a key part of your question (“…if Specter, Collins and Snowe _did actually_ think that….”) tells me that you don’t believe so, either. Otherwise, you would have said, “…if Specter, Collins and Snowe think (or thought) that….”

And that’s speaking hypothetically or not.

Whats_up, thank you for bringing that to my attention.

39. whats_up says:

Thanks for the response. your honesty is refreshing.

40. cjt1101 says:

Hi Gail,

I phrased the question that way because Jeff had already clearly indicated, in his initial post, his opinion that the three senators could not have believed that the bill was in the best interests of the country. So I qualified my inquiry with the term “did actually” in order to convey that while I was aware of his already-expressed opinion re. the Senators’ motivation, I wanted him to set that opinion aside temporarily, for the purpose of answering my question.

In short, I wanted to avoid the following exchange:

Me: But Jeff, what if Specter, Snowe and Collins voted the way they did because they think that passage of the stimulus bill is in the country’s best interests?

Jeff: Your question is irrelevant because, as I have already stated, no one could possibly think that.

As for what I really think about their motivation? I’ll just address Specter, since I lived in PA for most of my life. Here’s a guy who was the first-generation son of immigrant parents and served in the Air Force during the Korea War. Afterwards, he did his undergrad at Penn, followed by law school at Yale. Then he served as Philadelphia’s district attorney before being elected to the Senate, where he has remained for 29 years and is now almost universally acknowledged to be one of that body’s most respected members. Oh, and in 2005, he was diagnosed with advanced Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Since then, he’s undergone two separate rounds of chemo, without interrupting his normal work routine in either instance.

So call me crazy, but I’m just not really prepared to watch a few Youtube clips, read a couple of Human Nature articles, and then authoritatively announce to the world that Arlen Specter is unprincipled. I just can’t put much stock in the idea that the guy I just described above determines his votes by going into his office, shutting the door, and flipping a coin. I think it might be more accurate to say that Specter has principles, they’re just principles that Jeff doesn’t like.