South Florida Infanticide and the Barack Obama Connection

Recent case screams for enforcement of the Born Alive Infant Protection Act, legislation staunchly opposed by president

MIAMI (AP) — Eighteen and pregnant, Sycloria Williams went to an abortion clinic outside Miami and paid $1,200 for Dr. Pierre Jean-Jacque Renelique to terminate her 23-week pregnancy.

Three days later, she sat in a reclining chair, medicated to dilate her cervix and otherwise get her ready for the procedure. Only Renelique didn’t arrive in time. According to Williams and the Florida Department of Health, she went into labor and delivered a live baby girl.

What Williams and the Health Department say happened next has shocked people on both sides of the abortion debate: One of the clinic’s owners, who has no medical license, cut the infant’s umbilical cord. Williams says the woman placed the baby in a plastic biohazard bag and threw it out.

Police recovered the decomposing remains in a cardboard box a week later after getting anonymous tips.

Associated Press, February 5, 2009

A living infant, snatched up while struggling for breath, stuffed into a biohazard bag and thrown into a trash can, all at breakneck speed in front of an unwilling young mother shocked to see the life she gave. I’m not sure that’s something anybody wants to see, regardless of affiliation in terms of politics or faith.

For a long time, when it comes to the abortion debate, I was on the opposite side than I am now. It wasn’t my body, after all, and I didn’t want the government to be involved. That changed, of course, when I saw the rest of the babies, so tiny yet so alert, in the neo-natal intensive care unit after my own daughter was born at 34 weeks (she actually threatened to come out three weeks before that) weighing less than five pounds. Even in my ignorance to matters of life prior to that point of epiphany, even when I had a laissez faire attitude toward abortion, I would consider this south Florida incident a case of murder.

The autopsy showed that the baby was struggling for life, that her developing lungs were partially filled with air. Furthermore, recent history has shown that babies born as early as 21 weeks have eventually gone home healthy; one such infant who weighed only ten ounces at birth, Amillia Taylor (pictured above after being born at 21 weeks), just turned a healthy two years old in October. That being said, in the case of this Florida woman and her 23-week-old baby, this was infanticide, plain and simple — and I’m not sure that most everyday people passed on the street, regardless of their predetermined feelings toward abortion, would necessarily disagree.

What a lot of those everyday people may not know, however, is that they freely elected a president who would unequivocally support the murderous actions of the abortion clinic owner.

This is the very situation which lawmakers sought to prevent with the Born Alive Infant Protection Act, legislation which requires that infants born alive after botched abortions receive life-saving medical attention, legislation which arose in part from an account by an Illinois nurse, Jill Stanek, who reported that such infants born alive were simply cast aside and allowed to die in storerooms and storage closets. When a version of the bill reached the Illinois State Legislature, then State Sen. Barack Obama vehemently argued against it, saying that providing medical care for infants born alive following a botched abortion would place an undue burden on the mother who had already made a decision as to the fate of her baby.

During the debate in the Illinois State Senate, Obama was politically handcuffed and could not refer to a baby born alive following a botched abortion as an actual person, as it was not politically correct to do so — after all, the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Constitution will not allow someone to kill a child. Instead, in an “it all depends upon what the definition of ‘is’ is” type of moment, Obama was forced to coin a phrase in order to, at all costs, avoid acknowledging life. He used the term “Pre-Viable Fetus.”

Shanice Denise Osbourne, a pre-viable fetus if President Obama ever saw one, was born alive and subsequently killed on the morning of July 20, 2006 in that south Florida abortion clinic. The account of her extremely brief life, as well as the autopsy findings which followed after her decomposing body was later found in a cardboard box in a closet at the clinic, has been enough to bring the abortion debate to the forefront again, yet nobody seems to make the connection between this case, the Born Alive Infant Protection Act, and President Barack Obama.

Whenever I see a car with a crucifix dangling from the rear-view mirror and an “Obama-Biden” bumper sticker on the back, I cannot help but shake my head. Most people, because of the mainstream media’s favorable stance toward our new president, were not aware before the November election that Obama was willing to deny living infants, survivors of botched abortion procedures, even the most basic medical care for political reasons, that he saw no problem with these children being left to die in a back room or storage closet.

Even now, as many stand horrified–and rightly so–at this story coming out of south Florida, I’m not sure that the connection will be made.

Comments

You are so right Jeff. Even as this horrible situation is brought to light, many will not connect the dots to 0. This makes me cry…cry for that baby, cry for the parents out there waiting to adopt just such a small little soul and love it, and cry most of all for what we as a country have come to accept…

2. BlueWater says:

Jeff, I’m so glad you picked this article. It says that both sides of the argument are appalled by what happened. BUT THIS IS OK IN OBAMA’S BOOK! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTS!

And what hypocrisy! The only difference between what happened here and what happens in every other abortion is that the mother doesn’t see the child before it is killed. Nothing else is different. Pro-choice is nothing more than Pro-”kill it before it makes eye contact with you.”

3. Bodenzee says:

Pierre Jean-Jacque Renelique

Haitian educated physician. It would be interesting to know if he took and passed a course in medical ethics.

John 11:35

5. Annette says:

This was an especially difficult article for me to read.

I lost two babies at the same gestational age as this baby was murdered. My babies died in utero due to unexplained causes, and were delivered dead.

So I know what babies at that exact gestational age look like. And to think of someone callously taking a LIVING baby of that age and murdering her….its bringing back to me the horrors of the babies I wanted very much but who died.

Just for the record, Jill Stanek worked at Christ Hospital In Oak Lawn Illinois. Sort of a disgusting name for an abortion clinic…..been at that “hospital” many times.

This President is a man who would not want his daughter ‘punished’ by an unwanted pregancy…he has no concience so why would he have reservations about aborting his grandchild? So many of these young women are convinced that this is a minor procedure that will not have any long lasting affects…how untrue and tragic! The truth is abortion is BIG BUSINESS and that is the motivation behind Planned Parenthood and other pro-abortion groups. There is a new movie coming out entitled “22 1/2 weeks” which is based on a true story of one woman’s nightmare of abortion.

8. carder says:

Correction, Jeff.

Jill Stanek was not an abortion clinic nurse. She was a labor and delivery nurse at Christ Hospital in South Chicago when she encountered that poor Down’s Syndrome baby that day.

She has never worked at an abortion facility, although Christ hospital seemed close enough given its 10% aborted babies born alive statistic.

The Most Reverend Jeremiah Wright once served on its board.

Just sayin’.

Anon. 2:27,

I too lost a baby at 21 weeks, not alive at birth, but very human. After 5 years of trying to conceive
    she was wanted beyond words.

I can tell you that Obama’s reference to a baby as “punishment” explains his stance on the Born Alive Infant Protection Act. It does not augur well for the nation.

I may throw up.

Can somebody bring a lawsuit on behalf of that little baby girl who was murdered as she fought with every minute of her 23 weeks for breath? I would say she was denied her God-given right to LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness! There is no statute of limitations on MURDER.

I am sickened. The photo is graphic, but sometimes things just need to be put into our faces.

11. Ahhhhh says:

At the very end of the AP article it states that no criminal charges were filed yet. I’m interested to see if any charges stick. I’m appalled that this even happens. I’ve heard Jill Stanek’s testimony, and I’m absolutely shocked medical professionals allow this sort of practice. I hope charges are filed, people are prosecuted, and the Born Alive Infant Protection Act becomes national. With our current per-resident, I highly doubt it; not on his watch. With all due respect, Obama, you “don’t impress me much” (if at all).

Jeff, please keep us posted if anything comes out of this case. Thanks.

12. Jeff Schreiber says:

Gail — read closer.

The photo is of Amillia Taylor, who was born at 21 weeks old and is now a happy, healthy two-year-old.

13. Jeff Schreiber says:

carder said…

Correction, Jeff.

Yes, you’re right. I corrected it about five minutes after putting the piece up. Golly, I must have had abortion clinics on the brain.

14. GrannyGrump says:

Something to keep in mind amidst all the outrage: Things like this are literally an everyday occurrence. The strange and shocking aspect is merely that it’s being reported, talked about, and perhaps might even lead to prosecution.

I saw that, Jeff, but the time difference is minimal. It showed me the size of the little baby girl whose life was taken. That’s graphic. And, thanks for the story. Another eye-opener, for sure.

Annette, I am deeply sorry about the loss of your two babies. I can think of no greater pain than for a mother to lose a child, but you have lost two of your own. That hurts my heart. There’s nothing I can do about it except to tell you how I feel. It hurts me, and I know you were devastated.

Years ago I taught a boy with Down’s Syndrome to swim.

His mother was a state legislator, and we went to Jekyll Island on a GA Dept. of Agriculture conference. (My late first husband worked for Tommy Irvin.)

In one afternoon, the child was swimming on his own to his mother, who had been concerned that her son would fall into a pool over his head and drown.

The point? What’s Down’s Syndrome got to do with the issue?

As a student nurse in the 1960′s (before modern medicine’s advances in “preemie” survivability). I witnessed the struggle to live by spontaneous abortion fetuses. (not intentionally aborted). The Catholic hospital I trained at did not throw the fetuses away, but kept them in the utility room where they could be viewed and later buried by the parents if requested… . seeing the obvious humanity of the fetuses impressed me so deeply that I could never sanction abortion for any reason.

As was said regarding the Nazi decision to kill all “imperfect” babies – even if they were Aryan – “A society that has agreed to kill a child must first have agreed to kill God”.

I see the similarities in Obama’s position on abortion. In fact, having read 4000-5000 pages of both historical fiction (the Bodie Thoene’s series) and the biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, I see many parallels between the road we’re going down and Germany in the thirties, starting with a totally unqualified, yet almost supernaturally charismatic leader.

Hence my foreboding that I spoke of yesterday.

Grandpa Bob

If you are interested in displaying a visiible sign that you oppose abortion, may I suggest you visit a pregnancy center near you or visit the web site at http://www.priestsforlife.com and you can purchase tiny Precious Feet pins as well as other products that will be constant reminders of the sanctity of all life.

20. Presto says:

A baby IS a gift from God.

Anyone who refers to a baby as a “PUNISHMENT” is either working for Satan or maybe is Satin itself.

GOD is Truth.

Satin, Inc. is lies.

I gotta go now to straighten out my Confederate flag, polish the guns on the rack in my pickup truck, insult some n****rs, so I’ll have time to go to the tanning salon and work on my red neck and if I’m lucky, have time to grab a Bible and a 12 gauge I can cling to them as sleep tonight.

Seriously, this is how “friend” of mine in New York thinks people in my new home town of Lufkin Texas live. I’ve been here 10 years (after growing up in New York) and can tell you I’ve yet to see a single Confederate flag within 10 miles of where I live, and we all get along just fine down here. Also, people here don’t keep their guns on a rack in the pickup anymore, ok. My old friend who still lives in his asphalt and concrete world of New York as no idea what the real world is like. It’s funny because a lot of city folk seem to have this same crazy impression of Southern rednecks. And if you live here then you are one.

Since coming to Texas I’ve gotten a very good education on basic living in the real world. Too bad everyone doesn’t get this education. They rely too much on so-called educational TV, People magazine and trashy movies.

21. Bodenzee says:

So why isn’t Ashley Judd outraged at the “senseless savagery” of discarding babies? She is a PATHETIC piece of work for her ignorant comments about the treatment of wolves while turning a blind eye to the “slaughter” of tiny, defenseless human beings.
    How this is supposed to Feminism I will never understand.

23. webpet says:

Thanks Jeff for putting this article on your web site so that many who may not be aware of this horror will now have no excuse when the subject is broached at home or with friends or neighbors. The many responces have been right-on. But, Mr. Obama is in favor of a proceedure that, if possible, is even more horrendous. That is the proceedure know as “Partial Birth or Late Term Abortion.” Mr. Obama had promised during the campaign that one of his first acts would be to enact legislation that would allow for all abortions including this proceedure. This proceedure is nothing short of MURDER! A late term baby, up to time of natural birht, is aborted by turning the baby to be born feet first, then the baby is birth all but the head, at which time the abortionist (who is not even qualified to be called doctor because doctors took an oath to save lives)then stick a pair of sissors up into the baby’s brain to kill it and to make a passage to stick a suction tube to suck out the baby’s brains. I am sorry for the graphic language, but like the picture in Jeff’s article, we need to be shocked so that we will wake up and say “enough is enough.” I have written to the President on this subject along with providing him with the video “Silent Scream.” I would encourage everyone to write the President with your concerns on this subject. If this man has any conscience maybe this will touch it. We need to send up much prayer that God will change this man’s heart concerning this matter.
    Keep up the very good work Jeff, and God bless.

24. Jeff Schreiber says:

Anonymous said…

How this is supposed to Feminism I will never understand.

Brilliant.

I don’t know who you are, Mr./Mrs. Anonymous … but brilliant point.

Anon 8:02

I was born and raised in the great State of Texas and the reason we don’t keep our shotguns in the racks in our pickups anymore is because our society is full of thieves. We used to leave them hanging in plain sight and not even lock the pickup doors. I guess many of the folks just took a lesson from the crooks in Washington, crooks and tax cheats.

26. sharon says:

Thank you for sharing this, as disturbing as it is to read, it needs to be shared. We have a lot of work to do the next 3 yrs 11 months. We have to get the word out..WE have to make sure that people connect the dots….

27. Robert Wallace says:

For what it’s worth, Bodenzee, the doctor is no longer practicing medicine. His license was revoked for delegating responsibilities to an unlicensed professional (translation – being late to the abortion) and for falsifying a medical record (translation – putting “extreme prematurity” as cause of death instead of “loss of blood”).

It’s not much, however. As others have noted, this is an every-day occurrence. So far no one has been charged for the actual crime of killing Shanice. I doubt anyone will be.

Even if they are, however, it will only deepen America’s split personality disorder when it comes to born and unborn. If the doctor had done his job and killed Shanice in utero, none of this would be news.

It’s interesting to note how people accept brothels and fornication as unavoidable but abortion, well, that is just not acceptable.

High-risk management (contraception, sterilization, abortion) is a man-made response to the void of religious principles.

Relativism has destroyed every nation in which it has taken root. It destroyed the French Catholic monarchy when the King allowed for brothels in Paris and a harlot at Court. It destroyed England when Henry VIII’s immoral desires surpassed his love for God and neighbor.

Abortion is relativism on steroids. A government that stays in business by encouraging and funding irresponsibility is on its very last leg.

Here’s the list of Friday’s Roll Call Votes. Of note: Sen. Vitter’s amendment to ban ACORN funding failed 45-51. More:
    · Coburn #176 (no bid contracts) passed 97-0
    · Coburn #309 (wasteful spending) passed 73-24
    · Graham/Conrad #501 (foreclosure prevention) failed 39-57
    · Grassley #297 (FMAP) failed 47-49
    · Cantwell #274 (energy tax incentives) motion to waive budget act passed 80-16
    · Vitter #107 (no $ for ACORN) failed 45-51
    · Bunning #531 (capitol loss) failed 41-55
    · Thune #538 (tax rebate) motion to waive the budget act failed 35-61
    And here’s McConnell’s statement released late last night:

30. goddessdivine says:

Obama’s attitude toward abortion is frightening. Where was the outcry when he signed an executive order to lift the ban on sending funds around the world to assist in this horrific act?

I still can’t believe how blind people are….

31. RON says:

Who’s going to be watching ACORN?

And what happened to the investigation?

Any information you have regarding the above questions would be appreciated.

Thanks Jeff

32. Rachel Peterson says:

I volunteer at a Pro-Life Crisis pregnancy centre in Canada. This is so disgusting to see and hear about. Thankfully there are only two doctors in the city I live in who perform abortions.

Maybe people who call themselves “Christian” and support Obama need to look beyond the charasmatic facade that he is so famous for and realize his true face.

Jeff Schreiber said…
    Anonymous said…

How this is supposed to Feminism I will never understand.

Brilliant.

I don’t know who you are, Mr./Mrs. Anonymous … but brilliant point.

Hello Jeff! I’m the one who posted the “Brilliant” (as you put it) Ashley Judd comment. Not trying to be anonymous…just don’t have a google or wordpress blogger acct.
    I write under “In Palin We Trust” on blogs…I will try and remember to sign out at the end of my posts in the future.
    Anyway, thanks for the postive feedback on my comment. I have been following your site for a VERY long time and found this particular story one of your most worthwhile posts. I was moved to leave a comment.