Progress.

Comments

Looking at the photo of the old Iraqi who just voted in a democratic election, I just realized that the next step forward for them will be improved dental care.

Seriously, there was an article/opinion piece that came out yesterday about the “giant shoe statue” made by a school of Iraqi orphans in honor of the shoe-thrower and the insult he handed (threw) at Bush. I read it on AOL. The article’s author was positively gleeful about the whole affair, and a large minority of AOL board posters on the subject shared his attitude. To the writer, the big shoe statue equated to that other statue of Saddam that was toppled after the dictator was deposed. Both edifices represent the defeat of something bad and righting of a wrong.

Tell that to the old guy with the blue finger.

What bothered me most about the article was that the writer did not mention that this “shoe celebration” took place in Saddam’s home town of Tikrit. Many of the people there are (were) his relatives or friends of his family. Those people lived high during the Saddam years. They got special treatment, jobs, and favors that most other Iraqis couldn’t even dream about. The writer made absolutely no mention of any of this; he preferred to imply in his opinion piece that all of Iraq celebrated the Shoe Insult.

The writer also didn’t say anything about the pitched battle fought and won by US forces there, or about the vile acts of Uday and Kusay Hussein, or. . . but you see my concern. Facts are so easy to cherry-pick in our world of electronic media. I’m going to log on to AOL now to check my email. I do not expect to see anything of substance there about the Iraqi elections. There will be no blue finger held up there.

JV

(Sorry if this double posts. I had trouble with submitting it.)

This should be a feather in the cap of President George W. Bush and the guts and glory of our hardworking military, but the msm will only bash him and bash him.

It sickens me to think of these brave men and women that have to answer to The One.

what’s with the purple dye on the man’s finger?

4. Southern Girl says:

“The U.S. military also was out in force but did not take a direct role in the election security.”–it must be because the “war hungry” Prez is gone…right?

Nevermind that this is a HUGE accomplishment. They’ll never give W credit for that.

5. sharon says:

Do you think Obama will mention this today? or overlook it altogether?

6. CAPT-DAX says:

It was a stunning success. They actually had to keep the polls open an extra hour.

Glad that the “purple stain” is on the forefinger and not the middlefinger, which might change if Obama
    visit’s….Dan,NY

Forgive me, but “What part of the Body get’s
    the purple stain if your hand’s were “cut off” for stealing.?

When I was in Saudi Arabia (80′s)I witnessed 2
    beheading’s and several
    amputation’s of the hand’s and feet for stealing.
    Ouch!

1. The people who put up the shoe monument were made to remove it.

2. The purple color comes from the pot of ink they stick their finger in to prove they voted. All Iraqi’s 18 and older are required to vote.

The voters in the U.S. should be required to vote or pay a fine if they don’t vote.

I am sorry this if off-topic but thought someone could answer a question?

Where might I find out how my senators voted for the various cabinet picks?

The purple finger signifies that the person voted, and he can’t pull an “ACORN” trick by voting more than once.

I think the US elections need to go back to everyone voting on one day and everyone dipping their finger in the purple ink too to help stop voter fraud.

I saw on TV that BHO congradulated the Iraq's for the great step foward with this election. Obama is such a liar and hypocrite!!!!! If W had folded and done what Obama and other COWARDS in congress,and hollywood had wanted we would have tucked our tails and run away 2 years ago. Thank God we did not and General Petraus was the commander!!! Now the COWARD,Hyporcrite and Liar wants to move 20,000 more troops to Afganistan. I guess that Obama feels this is the 'just' war! He also announced that while continuing to bankrupt America with not only the left over $350B from the TARP but another so-called 'middle class' bailout he demanded that the Joint Chiefs CUT >10%
    of the DEFENSE Budget!! Where is our bailout for the military???????
    This is what you would expect from a fake president Obama. Why do people continue to go in the service and die when neither Obama or the Congress support them angers me!
    These cowards will bug out of Afganistan as soon as they can come up with an excuse like =='we are out of money' or 'the war is lost' or we must whatever etc.

14. Claudia says:

Pres Bush and our Armed Forces deserve a great big HOOYAH for what happened there today.

We will soon feel the loss of that particular happiness of knowing that our vote counted as much and as fully as that particular Iragi man this morning.

15. sharon says:

You WITNESSED the beheadings? how awful…

sorry if this posts twice

anon @8:25,

No! all americans should not be required to vote. We have just witnessed what happens when uneducated (and I’m not talking about schooling here) citizens vote in mass.

is a shame that USA is suffering the inmaturity of the outmoded lefties politics, in europe communist parties play the democratic game, never would dare change the democratic structures they know that they would be outted right away without having to suffer them for the whole presidential term, we have gone back in time in peopleĀ“s maturity ability to vote, what happen in this past elections is a photocopy of what happen in venezuela

The photo says it all. The sense of wonder and pride on the man’s face says more than words could. A pity that the votes in our recent election couldn’t give us that same sense of pride.

Nancy

ONE for George Bush and the U.S. Military,

ZERO for Obama.

His announcement yesterday regarding the elections only congratulated the Iraqi people on their great accomplishment.

If they had the purple ink custom in Chicago, the cemeteries would have to substitute the ink for whatever they use to spray the grass.

21. CA Patriot says:

What?

Elections? You mean FREE ELECTIONS?

And only minor violence?? And it worked as it was supposed to???

Progress, winning the war on terror, democracy in action.

TAKE THAT, Reid, Pelosi, soetoro, and and your company of spineless co-conspirators!

22. GATOR-1 says:

I do need to comment on this…

That Purple finger not only prevents acorn crap but even more so it shows the PRIDE they now have by just having the right to vote.

I was there during their first ever National Election. I will never forget spending most of the day in a class with an Iraqi who had attended school over here and was back home working for the Iraq’ people…..THe PRIDE within this individual was radiating throughout the entire building. He brought several of us to tears with his overwhelming emotions that day.

Many of those who voted re-dyed their fingers when it wore off and when I left months and months later we would still see those with purple fingers pointing at us on patrols…A point of thanks.

I dont care what any SOB says we won the invasion hands down and while we did experience some tough times when the mission drasticaly changed and most of the soldiers were not in fact trained for the mission we were then performing….We were still every single day WINNING….we were winning before I went and we were damn sure winning when I was there!

This recent election was just as historical yet was nearly ignored by the MSM.

I thank George Bush for having the courage to send us to help them folks. And while I will pay a little each day for my tiny contribution, I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

A thought I have been having is that when that country is finally able to build an infastructure and are functioning at their full potential……Those folks may well be one of the few friends we have left, and may well be the only ones with the means to help us. Would not that be ironic?

Thanks Jeff again for allowing my opinion but dont worry we still have every intention of unseating those who are screwing us from within before we actualy NEED the Republic of Iraq or anyone else to help us.

I think I may dye MY middle finger purple and send a picture of it to some of our members of congress.

I think I just had a wonderful Idea….LOL

Anonymous said…
    what’s with the purple dye on the man’s finger?

January 31, 2009 2:04 PM
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++

In America you can vote a hundred times if you join ACORN.

In 3rd world contries you can only vote ONCE because when you vote they put ink on your finger.

What a simple idea to help keep the polls honest. America is too corrupt for such simple solutions.