Palmetto State Powerhouse Exhibits Common Sense Lacking in D.C.

If only every state’s chief executive had South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford’s common sense and conservative approach to governing.

In recent months, Gov. Sanford has publicly refused the same sort of bailout funds being asked for by governors of other states, and has expressed his displeasure with the prospect of his citizens and his state being forced to foot the bill for other states which have not been as fiscally responsible. Today, he wrote a piece for conservative Web site Human Events. A snippet:

[E]fficiency in an assortment of governmental programs won’t lead us out of the $1.2 trillion deficit our federal government faces this year — a number, mind you, that doesn’t even include any new “stimulus” spending. Obama’s list may include expanding unemployment benefits, hundreds of billions more to bail out states that have made poor spending choices, and many billions on top of that for infrastructure, some of which will only be able to be described as local pork.

Getting out of this mess will mean the new president taking a real stand for fiscal responsibility and making choices opposite of the ones he has made so far. Staying on our current path will lead toward a financial train wreck of epic proportions. Avoiding that disaster will require a very serious conversation among all Americans about our economy’s future, both for the short term and the long term.

In the short term, the new President and Congress need to recognize one simple truth: When you’re in the hole, quit digging.

Obama’s stimulus package approaches $1 trillion. That would be in addition to the $7 trillion already spent and committed in bailouts and various stimulus packages over the past year. Leaving aside for one second the absurdity of trying to fix a problem caused by debt by stacking still more debt on top of it, if $7 trillion in stimulus hasn’t moved us closer to a solution, how will spending even more help?

Sanford is right on, and this is only a portion of what he had to say. Finally, a chief executive understands that spending our way out of debt and financial crisis is simply not an option. Other governors, including California’s Arnold Schwarzenegger and New York’s David Patterson, certainly don’t seem to comprehend that. Former President George W. Bush didn’t, either — and predictably, President Obama sure doesn’t understand.

Because of the nature of this economic crisis, we cannot keep borrowing from overseas to fund pork projects put into the latest “stimulus” or appropriations bill by giggling Democrats, so blinded by the bitterness of the past 14 years that they’re just clamoring to do something with a majority and a Democrat in the White House. One of these days, far before the ink in the Federal Reserve’s printing presses runs dry, countries like China and the United Arab Emirates are going to simply say no. They’ll say no because we’re a credit risk. They’ll say no because our paper will be worth just that . . . paper. Sanford gets that.

Fiscal conservatism is the answer here. We need across-the-board tax cuts on everything from personal income tax to payroll tax to corporate tax to capital gains tax in order to induce people into investing again, into creating jobs again, into the reinvigoration of the American entrepreneurial spirit. If we must spend money–and, done correctly, it might not hurt–we should do so in a manner which will provide an influx of cash quickly and to carefully selected, shovel-ready infrastructure projects, the kind which will create jobs in the short term and economic benefits in the long run. By the time the jobs from the shovel-ready projects wane, more long-term employment should be available due to the actual stimulus of business and industry created by the tax cuts. Spending money on the prevention of sexually transmitted diseases and on NASA research into the farce that is global warming does nothing for the economy.

As I venture out into 28-degree Philadelphia this evening, I will undoubtedly pine for the warmer weather of Charleston as the brisk cold hits my face here. More and more, however, I am looking forward to the move because of the people and the political climate which awaits. Gov. Mark Sanford is a Palmetto State Powerhouse, and so is Sen. Jim DeMint. Now, if only some of that common sense could make its way north from Columbia to Washington, D.C.

Comments

1. tm says:

TGIF – Viva La Steele !

I thought this might be interesting for some – what a difference a candidate makes (note Alaska is the only state in the black financially)
    This is the State of the State address last week to the Alaska legislators (which Palin wrote herself). It seems the image of Mrs. Palin being clueless is, ummm, a little off base. No, make that way off base.
    Two years ago at this podium, I urged spending restraint. I asked that billions of surplus funds be deposited in state savings. This struck me as a simple precaution against, as I described it, massive single-year cuts down the road, if and when we faced tougher times. You legislators agreed, so we can now meet our challenge in a stronger position…..
    With prudence, you built our reserves – that was good planning. This national economic downturn that’s spread to the energy market – it found us prepared. And that’s more than many states can say about their financial situation.
    When oil prices and state revenue are on the rise, as was the case, there’s temptation to assume it’ll go on rising forever, and to spend accordingly. Since prices fell, there may be an equal temptation to draw heavily on reserves or, for some, to be tempted to tap the permanent fund earnings or tax our hardworking families.
    No. With the budget, the aim is to keep our economy on a steady, confident course. The aim is – with discipline – we protect our reserves and promote economic growth……..
    Last year, we all expected another surplus. But even then, with record high prices, I chose prudence and directed state commissioners to cut millions in operating costs.
    Finding efficiencies even during times of plenty – that’s common sense fiscal responsibility.
    Now obviously, circumstances have changed that even international seasoned oil experts could not predict, requiring us now to adjust even more. Therefore, I am implementing a hiring freeze, exempting public safety, and I am restricting non-essential purchases. These actions reduce the draw on savings as we monitor revenue for the rest of 2009.
    For too long, Alaska’s economy has struggled with fluctuating revenue due to global commodity prices.
    In a volatile economy, numbers are not fixed, but principles are. We’ve followed the same principles from the start of this administration: fiscal discipline, limited government, and responsible stewardship.
    At a time when other state legislatures are staring at multi-billion-dollar deficits, and when our federal government proposes a deficit in excess of a trillion dollars this year alone, we have all the cautionary examples we need in the virtues of living within our means. With less revenue, we have an obligation to spend less money.
    Seems to me the lady has something that is sorely lacking in many of our politicians: the wisdom to plan for the future.

2. sneese says:

I am so proud of South Carolina. It has been so good to me. It is a great place to live, and we are so proud of Gov. Sanford! Just about everyone I know here feel the same way. We HAVE GOT to get conservatism back in this country, in Washington. Jeff, how are we going to make conservatives, and the GOP look like a better risk? How are we going to package ourselves?? What’s the plan. Could you let us know what’s stirring out there? Thanks.

3. mmm says:

Just a thought:

The great depression was stimulated by a mass hysteria regarding economy downfall, which resulted in mass withdrawals from bank accounts, therefore throwing an already bad economy down the drain, correct?

We are already in a recession. It appears that we are headed to another great depression which would be stimulated by a mass hyteria regarding economy, which is resulting in mass bailouts, i.e. large sums of money, being thrown to different companies like candy spewing from broken pinatas?

It appears that basically, mass hysteria instigates stupidity. How much more governmental stupidity is our economy going to handle before we are in another depression? I just hope we survive until 2012.

Can’t the government see how futile it is giving money away in these bailouts? What happened to the 1st company, they went to an expensive convention and had massages/spas with the money. Now, apparently, another company that got a bailout has bought a 50 mil jet and is giving its employees bonuses. We keep getting f***** by greedy bas***** but we keep giving them money???

Lord, please save our stupid nation. It may be the greatest nation in God’s green earth, however, our government is trying its best to bring it to its knees!

‘Stimulus Package for Dummies’

I owe $20,000 on my credit card that is maxed out.

I make $35,000 a year.

I spend $70,000 a year.

I will solve this problem by just borrowing $50,000 from my Dad. (Not to get a better education to get a higher paying job though.)

Instead I will spend that $50,000 on gifts for my friends. If I am nice to them, maybe one of them will know someone that can get me a better paying job.

I am not sure this will work or not though. If it doesn’t, my kids can pay back what I owe when I die.

5. Carrie says:

Implement the FairTax! Talk about an awesome “stimulus package”…imagine bringing home your whole paycheck, and only paying taxes on purchases of new goods (above a certain base amount). And all the small business owners would be dancing in the streets…no more schedule C’s! Unfortunately, there would be a lot of IRS workers and tax accountants out of a job, but I’m sure we could figure something out. Learn more about the FairTax…it’s not such a far-fetched idea. Mike Huckabee does a good job explaining it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvT6_-cpcTA

We have a Kenyan in the WH and misnamed parties.The parties should be patriots vs. globalists until we wake up and see the true divide the rest is bs.

7. carder says:

What brougth you to Philadelphia, Jeff?

He wants to give ACORN 2 Billion dollars, but wants to cut this country’s defense budget. Why don’t we start by cutting the budget for his secret service protection?

Defense Official: Obama Calling for Defense Budget Cuts

Some overall budget figures are expected to be announced Monday.

FOXNews.com
    Friday, January 30, 2009

0 23 Comments | Add Comment
    ShareThis
    PEOPLE WHO READ THIS…
    ALSO READ THESE STORIES:
    Irritated Obama ‘Stares Down’ Reporter During Press Corps Visit
    Pelosi Shrugs off Alcatraz as Possible Terror Detention Facility
    Obama: Quit Listening to Rush Limbaugh if You Want to Get Things Done
    Bush Family to Leave Many Treasured Items Inside White House
    White House: Daschle Had ‘Tax Issues,’ Shouldn’t Bar His Cabinet Confirmation
    The Obama administration has asked the military’s Joint Chiefs of Staff to cut the Pentagon’s budget request for the fiscal year 2010 by more than 10 percent — about $55 billion — a senior U.S. defense official tells FOX News.

Last year’s defense budget was $512 billion. Service chiefs and planners will be spending the weekend “burning the midnight oil” looking at ways to cut the budget — looking especially at weapons programs, the defense official said.

Some overall budget figures are expected to be announced Monday.

Obama met Friday at the White House with a small group of military advisers, including Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen. James Cartwright, vice chairman, and Gen. Jim Jones, National Security Council chairman.

FOX News’ Jennifer Griffin contributed to this report.

Jeff, WND sent a news alert headlined “Congress sued to remove prez from White House” with this as the first paragraph:

“A new lawsuit is challenging Barack Obama’s eligibility to be president, and this one targets Congress as a defendant for its “failure” to uphold the constitutional demand to make sure Obama qualified before approving the Electoral College vote that actually designated him as the occupant of the Oval Office.”

It says that the suit was filed in New Jersey. This is right up your alley. What’s the skinny?

10. Jeff Schreiber says:

Gail,

I’m not touching it. If I were to write about every time I see politicians sued by pro se plaintiffs, I wouldn’t have time for anything else.

Anybody can file suit against anybody else. It’s a matter of whether the court will hear it, and it is OBVIOUS that the courts will not.

Jeff

11. Let us move forward says:

Daschle pays $100000 in back taxes!

And this is the guy that wants National Health Care?

Apparently he wouldn’t pay for it unless he is telling us to pay for it!

Well, okay. I’m just in a state of denial, I guess. The State Motto of South Carolina is “While I breathe, I hope.” If anything _IS_ done with it, however, I know that it will be all over your page.

As an aside, it appears that people are beginning to realize that the HR 1 Stimulus Pkg is not directed towards stimulating the economy but to grease palms and provide political payback. No wonder Obama said this was urgent! He wanted it passed before we figured out what he wants done for his buds. I mailed 11 letters written in longhand yesterday to the House Democrats who voted against HR 1.

13. Let us move forward says:

Jeff:

You have done so much and are trying to minimize the damage to come. Thank you so much for giving us your blog and this forum in spite of your personal sacrifices.

I understand the need to move on, but think that we need to keep an eye on what is going on with the citizenship issue. Like Obama is going to be Carter on steroids, the citizenship issue could be Watergate on steroids.

On that note: Leo is back with some interesting comments on the defense reply to Hollister v Soetoro.

Anonymous 6:43 wrote:…he wants to give ACORN 2 Billion, but wants to cut this country’s defense budget. Why don’t we start by cutting the budget for his secret service protection?

If I’m not mistaken, ACORN is to get upwards of 4 Billion, plus there are other items in the bill which will probably allow them to siphon off much more than that.

Leo Donofrio (from NJ) is the attorney who has had a couple of lawsuits before the USSC that were dismissed. He recently had an article on his website, saying that he was registering at a hotel to participate in a chess tournament, and Obama and his retinue had just left. Obama and the SS had taken up THREE FLOORS of the hotel, with agents and big guard dogs everywhere.Can you imagine what that is costing us?

http://www.naturalborncitizen. wordpress.com

Incidentally, Leo has a new post up about getting s large group of military together to file a suit in Federal Court, which he feels may be the most effective way to approach the usurper problem. Worth reading.

Bravo Gov. Sanford! We need many more like Gov. Sanford and Senator DeMint. Hope they can instill some of their spirit into all the Repubs.

When you think that this “stimulus” bill is only the beginning of a lot more pork barrel spending ahead, it makes you cringe. And if you notice, all aimed at pet leftist targets, and timed to kick in around the 2010 mid-term elections.

Porky Pig would be proud.

The only thing that this bill may stimulate is the tingle down Chris Matthews’ leg.

Obama has struck again. How many more moves is this man going to make within his first ten days in office?

Looks like maybe the new stimulus plan may be to take all the money that the tax evaders in the new BO cabinet are having to cough up to form a big slush fund to help pay for part of Pelosi’s et al loony bill.

18. GATOR-1 says:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED DUDE!

You were the one who took Berg’s suit and waved it everyone’s face! And as you can see it is NEVER going away.

You say it is OBVIOUS that the courts will not rule, I say the only thing that is OBVIOuS is that they havent?

I agree fully it can not be our only focus but dude like the lady said as long as we breath …we hope. I will add IN God WE Trust.

We may well never nail him or anyone over his eligibility but the issue will never die and will become part of history. YOU were part of making that happen!

As for SC, I am proud to say I have been in all 50 of our Great Sates and have actually lived in quite a few. SC is by far the most friendly place I have ever lived.

It is the only place I have ever moved to that within an hour of backing the uhaul up to the house, the neighbors came out and what would taken the wife and I all day if not longer to unload was done within in a few hours. This happened not once but twice.

The members of the old 228 Sig Bde SC Army Guard were also some of the finest soldiers I have ever served with.

I dont know what your reason was for chosing SC to move to and thrive was but my friend you have made a very fine choice. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

And you never know my friend “When” someone closes this bottle you helped open it could be one of the best days of your life….

I’m breathing…I’m hoping….

Nah, all the back taxes BO’s cabinet members are having to cough up will go towards paying for Madamn Pelosi’s plane fuel. Is the plane considered income for her? (Does she pay taxes on it?) Does anybody under the Dome pay taxes nowadays?

“we cannot keep borrowing from overseas to fund pork projects put into the latest “stimulus” or appropriations bill by giggling Democrats”

Yes They Can, Jeff. And they will continue until the US is no longer a viable country.

We are watching Rome burn.

21. goddessdivine says:

Unfortunately people like Sanford are a dying breed. I don’t know when this country will wake up and smell the socialism.

22. Suave64 says:

Governor Mark Sanford showed his true colors and honestly last week with his little sojourn to South America. Good thing nothing important was going on in the state while he was away on monkey business. What a liar. Another up and coming Republican loser. So it goes. Another one bites the dust brought to you by the party of no! Go Libertarian you neocon sheep!