Weekend Reading — January 17-18, 2009

Why can’t anyone realize that these people care nothing about outside opinion, about civility, or law?

Israel Plans Ceasefire, Hamas Vows to Fight On
(FROM: Reuters) Sadly, I think the headline says it all. Israel, no doubt affected on some level by the international sentiment toward their conflict with Hamas, looks as though they’ll pull back. In my opinion, it will be premature. Over and over again, it seems, Israel lobbied Hamas for a ceasefire, but the terrorists refused to stop lobbing rockets into Israel at Israeli civilians. I think the only viable option here was to depose Hamas or so cripple it that the Palestinian people demanded a change, perhaps to intervention from Egypt or some other entity with a lot at stake internationally. This result, however, is too bad. The rockets will continue to fall, Israeli men, women and children will continue to die at the hands and will of Hamas. Now, it’s a matter of whether or not Israel plans a violence-diffusing presence in Gaza like in the West Bank, and of course it’s a matter of how long before the remaining terrorist elements in Gaza smuggle in a weapon far more dangerous than any Qassam rocket. Whether they admit it or not, Israel is conscious of the biased international outcry; Hamas, even if they were the focus of such outcry, simply wouldn’t care. Gosh, I wish there was some other result.

SEE ALSO:

Leave the New Deal in the History Books
(FROM: The Wall Street Journal) Great piece, drawing on many of the same ideas I tried to get across yesterday in When is Enough, Enough? — but because WSJ writer Mark Levey is a professional and likely had more than an hour to put things together, his piece is much more informative. Great read. Please pass it along.

SEE ALSO:

Misreading History
(FROM: The Weekly Standard) As you can read here at America’s Right, I’m often reiterating ad nauseum that we need a smaller, less intrusive government, that we need to stay faithful to the tenets of conservatism and in doing so will prevail. In this piece, Matthew Continetti thinks people like me are a little off-base. From his piece:

Sorry, folks. The lesson of the last eight years is not that Americans want a smaller government. It’s that Americans recoil at what appears to be an incompetently run government out of touch with the major challenges of the day. Your average voter doesn’t mind government action if he deems it necessary to pursue a public good like national defense or supporting retirees. He votes for the party that has the most compelling program for the future, not the one simply trying to stand athwart it.

Conservatives have been successful not when they’ve rigidly opposed government, but when they’ve proposed a different type of government that produces conservative results. Barry Goldwater rode his extremism in the defense of liberty right into a political ditch, whereas Ronald Reagan campaigned and won on pro-growth tax cuts, a defense build-up, and national pride. It’s true that Reagan always regretted his inability to stop government expansion. But the voters had few such regrets.

I understand where he’s coming from, and I think that the perspectives he seeks to correct aren’t as far from his own perspective as he suggests. Of course SOME government intervention is good. I want legislation like the KIDS Act which will protect my daughter when she grows old enough to go online. I want certain government intervention — it’s just that most government intervention is in places with directly countermand conservative principles. We don’t need the Department of Education, as one state looking at the successes and failures of another may help everyone get stronger. We don’t need cap-and-trade legislation, as government mandates on emissions can only serve to force industry elsewhere. Anyway, I could go on for hours, but just wanted to point out a good, thought-provoking article.

Byron York: More Questions About Geithner
(FROM: National Review) A few days ago, when I wrote about the double standard regarding everyone’s attitude toward our favorite tax-delinquent Treasury Secretary nominee, I mentioned that I agreed with Orrin Hatch’s assessment that Geithner was qualified. I STILL say that, in terms of knowing the value of the free market, I think Geithner might be the best such candidate we can get out of Barack Obama, but the more and more I hear about the circumstances surrounding his non-payment of taxes, the more I’m starting to think that we should take our chances, roll the dice, and wait for Obama to come up with someone else.

Obama Interior Nominee to Consider New Ban on Oil Drilling in USA
(FROM: CNSNews) Energy independence is the key to everything. It is the key to national security, as we will no longer be beholden to and padding the wallets of elements across the world that would like to see our failure and destruction. It is the key to re-assuming our status as the economic superpower in the world, as the amount of oil and energy we sit on in Alaska, off our coast, and in shale deposits in the continental U.S. rival if not surpass what’s under the Middle East and Russia, and there is money in exporting energy rather than importing it. Energy independence should be our ultimate goal. Obviously, for some, it isn’t. When President Bush repealed the drilling ban in July, gas and oil prices began the slide which took us from the July high to our current low. As the price of oil fell, so did the influence of oil-rich countries which, unlike us, actually make use of their natural resources — Hugo Chavez, even, is apparently catching heat because the vast oil money has essentially dried up. There is no downside to energy independence that is not overshadowed by upside. Obama would be downright ignorant to the needs of America and the geopolitics of energy and power if he allows for the ban to be reinstated.

Comments

I think you are studying too hard. I hope you get a vacation soon.

Unless your understanding of “where he is coming” from means remedial education, Mr. Continetti’s piece is a piece all right. A piece worthy of a courtesy flush condemning it to the bowels of a septic tank, of which I feel sorry for the septic tank.

This election has proven (we’ve all seen the youtube of the Obama voters) that we now have an exclusively democratic form of government.

excerpt from

by Alexander Marriot

“A democracy is government by the majority. There is still a restricted group of citizens in a democracy, but this group rules directly and personally runs the state. The group may delegate specific tasks to individuals, such as generalships and governorships, but there is no question that the ruling force in a democracy is not a charter (if there even is a charter), but the vote of the majority. Democracies are free only if the people know what freedom is and are consistent in their application of it. If they don’t know this, or more appropriately, if a majority of the people don’t know this, then a democracy could be just as tyrannical as the worst dictator (see Socrates’ forced suicide by the Athenian democracy.)”

It wasn’t as much an “incompetent government” as it is an “incompetent public.”

The public voted based on what they think will “get” them more.

Urgent – ATTORNEY NEEDED IMMEDIATELY, PRO BONO, to file a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST the
    UNITED STATES CONGRESS for FRAUD IN A FIDUCIARY CAPACITY AGAINST TAXPAYERS for FAILURE to do their DUTY to FIRST SUBPOENA BARACK OBAMA’S ORIGINAL LONG FORM BIRTH CERTIFICATE BEFORE CERTIFYING THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE VOTES

Jeff—-Don’t sacrifice your principles for the likes of Geithner just because he seems qualified!! This is exactly why we got Obama even though he is ineligible to be POTUS!

4. gailbullock says:

Washington needs to learn that the United States citizens are alive, well, and concerned. In other words, we are not asleep at the wheel.

Jeff, while doing my reading assignments, I found something about Obama’s “weighing” thoughts of a government bank. With all the bailouts being asked for, hasn’t it dawned on the government that it has taken about as much of the money of businesses and taxpayers as it can? Do you have a writer “up your sleeve” who can “break into Obama’s thoughts” and explain him to us (in bite-size pieces, if possible)? Thanks!

Gotta go to the post office for stamps, y’all. A lot of them–while I still have the money!

5. tm says:

Did anyone see the speech today from the back of the train ? ok first he wants to be president for life and now he wants to change the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE basically, calling all of us Bigots ! Writers of the Constitution understood the problem of democracy & tried to institute preventions: Electoral college & natural birth requirement. The Left has systematically dismantled the restraints and our country now faces the same de-generation into dictatorship, palace coups, internal revolt, and massive poverty. The future holds for us a ruling elite and peasants. All sold to the citizens as "social justice." Please read Hayek Vol.2 of Law Legislation and Liberty: The Mirage of Social Justice. Also Bruno Leoni Freedom and the Law who posits that the flaw in our Republic is the power of Congress to make laws.
    You are witnessing the making of the first dictator of the US. H. J. Res. 5 will allow Obama to stay in office indefinately. Just like Chaves in Venesualia, the country has slipped into socialism. You have seen the last US President and have voted in the first US Dictator. God help Us All !

Atlas Shrugs is reporting:

Obama’s stimulus plan gives MORE money to acorn.
    ………………………….

Obama and the Congress are not even bothering to try to hide their crooked ways.

That is what is really scary.

7. suek says:

My guess is that within the first two years, Congress will vote to increase the number of Supreme Court Justices, and will appoint liberals who will decide cases they way the Dems want them decided. The present conservative balance will be eliminated.

Congress wouldn’t let FDR do it, but I’m willing to bet that _this_ congress will…

8. gailbullock says:

Oh, my gosh, y’all! I have found a gold mine of information! One link is teamlaw.net, and the other is teamlaw.org. PLEASE go to Myth 22 and read the section below it. (The site also explains the definition of Corp. U.S.) Here is an excerpt:

“There is no doubt that Corp. U.S. has been involved in some grievous acts against our country and its people, the likes of which have spawned many ‘conspiracy theories’: the April 19th events like, the attack on the Weaver family in Ruby Ridge, Idaho; the destruction of the Seventh–Day Adventist Retreat in Waco, Texas; the demolition of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; the February 26, 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center; the September 11, 2001 events at the World Trade Center and at the Pentagon. Responding to such theories reasonable people ask, ‘Why would the government do such things?’ A reasonable response is:

“Corp. U.S. is not our government, rather it is a private foreign corporation that in 1933 statutorily legislated that the people of the United States of America are enemies (Trading with the Enemy Act), and second, the last two steps (planks) of the general plan for a communistic government takeover of a great nation are:

Form a national police force
    (which Homeland Security did as a result of the 9-11-2001 events);
    Cause the people to rebel against the government.
    This last step would give Corp. U.S. the cause to step in with ‘Homeland Security’ forces and lock down the cities. It happened in Germany, Poland, Russia and China. The only element currently missing from such a takeover of our country is the people have not actively revolted. Thus, we expect Corp. U.S. would welcome such a plan of active resistance as their best excuse for a Homeland Security lock down and takeover of our country, in the name of security. The one thing we must not do is give any cause for such an action.” There are only two lawful ways for Corp. U.S. to become the actual government of this great country:

by the lawful knowing willing choice of the people, made by a vote of the people in accord with the provisions of our Constitution; or,
    by conquering our nation in war.
    As wise martial arts instructor once said, “The best art of defense is to not be there.” In other words the best way to win the fight is to not fight — take up no weapons of violence. Instead we must learn the truth and apply it to lawfully take our country back. At the numbered point “5.” above, we showed how Corp. U.S. legally and lawfully owns virtually all of the private property that was acquired using a Taxpayer Identification Number. We also showed how Corp. U.S. legally and lawfully controls virtually all businesses owned in the United States of America that have a Taxpayer Identification Number. Now, we ask that you look at the definition of Communism. And, while you remember Corp. U.S. is still only a private foreign corporation today, imagine whether or not the powers that be within it or controlling it might want it to be the actual government of this country — they act as if they think they already are.” (End quote of excerpt)

Additional note: Learn why there are no “Constitutional rights.” (The Constitution was written to define the powers given to each branch of the government.)

Do you ever get the feeling that those people in Washington are walking around in some sort of “zone” out of reach from us?

I saw a quote from Uncle Remus that said something like, “It ain’t what you don’t know that will hurt you. It’s what you do know but ain’t true.” Check it out! It is eye-opening. Should be “required reading.”

9. Bodenzee says:

Jeff, To assert that Geithner is “qualified” is like saying that Madoff is qualified. I still don’t want either of them near the crown jewels.

If you wanted to overthrow a country, break their economy and independence as a nation, what would you do?

One thing could be to block their access to the energy that it takes for the nation to function. Make them dependent on foreign interests.

Our so called leaders are doing exactly that. Does anybody think they represent us, the people, or the interests of this nation and it’s sovereignty?

We just have to get together in force to replace the current republicans with new ones who will have a backbone to actually represent what we want, when we go to the polls in 2010 and 2012.

Jeff, it should be of concern to you that the majority of Americans care about the environment and that was one of the things taken into consideration upon voting. I hope Obama is not stupid enough to put our environment into more peril than it already is. As a driver, I refuse to drive my car and instead take public transportation, I walked to my graduation and toned down on the amount of electricity I use. And the result? Saved a whole lot of cash. America will soon realize it can no longer consume like it used to. Things are changing and changing drastically. When China and India decide: “Wait a minute, let our people in on the good stuff”, greedy americans will know what I am talking about.

14. Marie says:

“Obama’s speech will call for new era of responsibility”

I love the hypocrisy! He’s saying we all need to develop fiscal responsibility and HE IS THROWING THE MOST EXPENSIVE INAUGURATION PARTY IN HISTORY MOSTLY AT TAX PAYERS EXPENSE! Is anyone buying his BS!!!!!?????

Jeff -

For a supposed conservative, you can be pretty dense sometimes. FYI, the KIDS Act has nothing to do with protecting kids and has everything to do with developing an excuse and apparatus for internet censorship to ensure that everybody is using the correct edition of the NewSpeak dictionary. Just remember, we were never at war with Oceania, we’ve always been at war with Eurasia.

The quetion is not if the person has academic qualifications to do the job but is he totally corrupt. I think the failure of our constitution is caused by the feeling that corruption is acceptable and now the public wants in on the corruption. The acceptance of corruption is unacceptable. Geithner must be rejected because he has shown himself to be dishonest and obviously he therefore must be corrupt.

Our country can stand with honest people but corrodes away to rust with corruption.

I feel the entire Congress is corrupt. I do not think the SC is that corrupted as yet. What we are now seeing is that the corruption has been kept hidden and now the congress says it is no longer necessary to hide the corruption. Simply get it on the money flow.

17. Mary Ann says:

Jeff–I love your columns, guest writers, and your love of country. I wish I could pen my thoughts on paper as succinctly as you do. Like you, I can concede a point or two to Mr. Geithner, but that’s about it. Our societal problem today is that we have a larger “gimme” population and a smaller conservative population (both fiscally and socially).

Everyone wants justice to prevail, but liberals and conservatives are at opposite poles with their ideas of what proper justice is. My old boss, an attorney, always joked that when you show up at the courthouse looking for justice, you find “just us.”

18. Snowrose says:

I hope you don’t mind my posting this, but I feel it is important. I just found out about this site and it will only be up until Obama takes the Oath. It is important that you go and have your voice heard. There are a lot of very scary ideas that people what presented to Obama. Please vote up or down the issues you feel are important and please spread the word. It seem that it is mostly liberals that know about this site.
    “Share your ideas on any issue facing the new administration, then rate or comment on other ideas. The best rated ideas will be gathered into a Citizen’s Briefing Book to be delivered to President Obama after he is sworn in. http://citizensbriefingbook.change.gov/

19. TROUBLESHOOTER says:
  20. Ted says:

The question is not IF there will be an interdiction of Obama’s Presidency by the Supreme Court, the questions are WHEN and HOW that interdiction will transpire — that is, if the USA is to continue as the Constitutional Republic that now exists.

21. Lisa says:

Thanks TM for telling us about H J Res 5. I’ve started to check that out. Seems this isn’t the first time that this has been introduced in recent years, however it’s especially dangerous in light of what is happening in Washington today.

I appalled…but sadly, I’m not surprised. I will be keeping a watchful eye on this issue. Seems the MSM won’t be.

22. Kevin J says:

I don’t know if you have commented yet on the pending case
    “Strunk v. US Dept. of State and Homeland Security”, but I for one would like to hear your take on this case.

23. Bdaman says:

Jeff just happen to stumble across Georgetown Journal of Law and Review and thought it was interesting.Look closely at the beginning of page 22

I ran across this thought today in an email someone forwarded to me. Tomorrow I may send it to Obama via email. Will he read it?

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working
    for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to
    take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because
    somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”

~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005

JV

25. gailbullock says:

Anonymous at 12:38 p.m.:
    I read somewhere that Obama is gathering his supporters and putting them on the government payroll as some new department of government so that he will have his machine in place for the next election.

The Republicans/conservatives need to wake up and realize that Obama’s theme song is “If there’s not an opportunity, make one!” Well, we have the opportunity of four years to start organizing the machine that hopefully will put him out of office. We can start by passing legislation in every state that the candidates for political office have to provide to the secretaries of state the long form of his or her birth certificate at the minimum before being placed on a ballot, if the office being sought requires the candidate to be a natural born citizen.

Obama is a mover and a shaker; he’s not accustomed to not getting his way. His Illinois cronies are evidence of that, by the backing he has received from them.

Conservatives need to “get into our friends’ faces” and learn from his tactics. “Yes, we can, TOO!”

26. The Intellectual Redneck says:

ConstitutionWatch.org has been on the sidelines during the discussion of Barack Obama’s status as a natural born citizen. Just before his inauguration-they have jumped into the battle with both feet.

ConstitutionWatch.org jumps into the Obama birth certificate fray

27. HouseOfBacon says:

Energy independence is indeed the key to everything, however, oil is not. Toyota is eliminating oil from their product line, Honda is on a similar path. Mercedes has pledged their entire line-up to be petroleum free by 2015. Tapping those extra reserves would begin yielding results in 18-20 years, depending on varying depth and assuming their are no construction/drilling complications initially. In 18-20 years there will be a whole new generation of people on this planet who grow up hardly having their daily lives affected by oil or gasoline for that matter. Even other nations are pledging to have 20-40% of their energy come from renewable sources by 2020, just half the time it would take for us to even reach the oil. We need to be future-proof if we hope to avoid future recessions, oil is not future-proof.

28. bob strauss says:

Anything going to happen to Obama, as a result of Bush’s latest executive order, calling for background checks of all executive branch employees?

Am I reading too much into this Executive Order just signed on Friday, 1/16:

Executive Order: Granting Reciprocity on Excepted Service and Federal Contractor Employee Fitness and Reinvestigating Individuals in Positions of Public Trust

Remember the USA well folks as we are less than a day away from becoming a true banana republic.

31. Dee says:

Regarding Geithner. I just read in our local paper that a gentleman did not pay his taxes for several years and could be imprisoned for a year and fined $100,000. I guess his was not “an honest mistake”.
    TM, I also heard about BO wanting a “new” Declaration of Independence, one that was not “bigoted”. They want to “change” the Constitution and now the Declaration of Independence.
    We’ll see what the next 4 years brings. I do feel rather helpless at this point but remain unrealistically optimistic and hopeful that something, someone, somewhere will trip HIM up.

32. bdaman says:

As challenges mount, ardor for Obama cools abroad
    By WILLIAM J. KOLE – 22 hours ago Associated Press

Barack Obama got a global standing ovation long before he was elected president. But in a fickle and fast-moving world, the overseas reviews are already turning mixed.

Though much of the world will party through the night Tuesday after Obama is sworn in as America’s 44th president — just as it did when he was elected — there are signs the ardor is cooling as the sheer weight of his challenges sinks in.

A deepening global recession, new hostilities in the Middle East, complications in closing the Guantanamo Bay prison, Iran, North Korea, Afghanistan — an impatient world has a stake in all of them and is asking how much change Obama can deliver.

“Just two months ago, the future president seemed a cross between Superman and Merlin the magician,” Massimo Gramellini wrote in a commentary for Italy’s La Stampa newspaper. “Now he himself admits he won’t be able to keep all his promises, and who knows? Maybe someone will ask for his impeachment by the end of next week.”

33. Claudia says:

at 10:00 AM PST Monday, Jan 19th; BUSH commutated the sentences of BOTH Compean and Ramos.

Thanks to all who wrote, emailed, faxed and made phone calls to the White House and sent notes to Bush personally and on goodbye notes that were put out by several places.

I know that I used every one of the notes and made all of the above referenced calls and sent letters, as I am sure each and every one of you did also. Good on Bush and good on everyone who wanted him to do the right thing.

Claudia,
    Reno, NV

President Bush commutes sentence of former border patrol agents…

35. Phil says:
  36. Carlyle says:

Yes, I too must comment on the KIDS act. Like several attempts before it – totally worthless. I design huge comglemerations of geographically dispersed computer systems for a living. All use the Internet. At best the KIDS act is a giant waste of money and a “feel good” measure. At worst, it is a straightjacket for “correct speak”. Don’t be misled by the title. That is what they want. How can you be against protecting kids? Pure BS propoganda. Sorry.

37. suek says:

If you want your kids protected on the internet, do it yourself. There are programs that will enable you to set the limits.
    If you want to protect your kids from TV, learn to limit what they see, even if it means turning the thing off. You can always rent films to watch.

38. suek says:

I have to ask…

“The Intellectual Redneck”… how the heck did you make that link live?

39. Mary Ann says:

I agree with suek…TV is highly overrated and even G programs are laced with filty ads or beer ads or any number of other undesirable ad content. When I was growing up (I'm 52 now), we used to play games together as a family, board games, card games, marble games–and it was great fun. All families would be better off today if they spent more time playing TOGETHER than each one with his/her own portable video game. The old saying goes "the family that prays together, stays together." I would add to that and say "the family that prays & plays together, stays together."

Just my 2cents. Need change? =D

40. HouseOfBacon says:

So far, extremely few of these comments have actually been commenting on the article itself, which was well written and brought up several good points. Somehow we’re now back to talking about birth certificates and what kids watch on TV, the article was about oil. Read much?

41. Mary Ann says:

Actually, the weekend reading encompassed several different topics from Israel to textbooks to rewriting history to the proposed ban on new oil drilling by an Obama appointee. It wasn’t all about oil.

The fact that we’ve chased a few rabbit trails doesn’t seem troublesome to me. But that’s just my opinion.