The Fox (or, in this case, a Rooster) is Guarding the Henhouse

For those who are unable to identify him simply by the smell, this weasel is Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada, our Senate Majority Leader. He is essentially the No. 4 Democrat on Capitol Hill, has among his responsibilities a large role in the hopeful rescue of this nation from the brink of economic collapse and, with the possible exception of whatever insulation can be provided by Rahm Emanuel, has unfettered access to the ear of Barack Obama.

The short video clip is from yesterday’s Meet the Press. Forget, for a moment, how Reid not-so-artfully backpedaled on the appointment of Roland Burris by corrupt Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich. Forget, for a moment, that he’s apparently been on the telephone with Sen. John McCain about reintroducing a bill similar to the McCain-Kennedy Comprehensive Immigration Reform disaster introduced and thankfully shot down in the spring of 2007. Forget, for a moment, that he is actually on the right side of the conflict between Israel and Hamas. Concentrate simply on what appears in the video clip and the full comments from Reid on the state of the war in Iraq. Here’s the transcript:

MR. GREGORY: Let me ask you about the war in Iraq. In April of 2007, this is what you said: “I believe myself that … this war is lost and the surge is not accomplishing anything.” Were you wrong?

SEN. REID: David, I first met General David Petraeus in Iraq. He was training the Iraqi forces at that time. At that time, he knew it wasn’t working. After he became the commander in Iraq, he and I sat down and talked. He said to me, and he said within the sound of everyone’s voice, “The war cannot be won militarily.” I said it differently than he did. But it needed a change in direction. Petraeus brought that about. He brought it about–the surge helped, of course it helped. But in addition to that, the urging of me and other people in Congress and the country dictated a change, and that took place. So…

MR. GREGORY: But you said the surge was not accomplishing anything. Even Barack Obama said last fall that it exceeded everyone’s expectations and succeeded beyond our wildest dreams.

SEN. REID: Listen, at that–the time that statement was made, the surge–they weren’t talking about the surge. Petraeus added to the surge some very, very interesting things that changed things. He said a lot–just simply numbers of troops is not going to do the deal. What we need to do is work with the Iraqi people, which we haven’t done before. That’s where the Awakening Councils came about, as a result of David Petraeus’ genius. He’s done–he will be written about in the history books for years to come. My original statement was in keeping what David Petraeus said; that is, the war cannot be won militarily.

MR. GREGORY: Do you believe that the war in Iraq has been lost?

SEN. REID: I don’t think at this stage we can talk about that with any degree of sensibility. That has to be something that will talked about in the history books to come. We…

MR. GREGORY: So you spoke to soon in 2007?

SEN. REID: David Petraeus and Harry Reid spoke at the same time. David Petraeus said that the war cannot be won militarily, I said what I said. Who, who phrased it the best is…

MR. GREGORY: You said that the war is lost. Today, in 2009, that’s no longer your view?

SEN. REID: David, listen, someone else will have to determine that as the years go on. What has the war done? It’s brought about–it’s destabilized the Middle East. We have a civil war going on in Israel. We have a civil war in Iraq, as indicated today, more than 50 people killed with a bomb in Iraq today. We have Lebanon, a civil war there. We have Iran thumbing their nose with every, everyone. And if that weren’t bad enough, our standing in the world community is so far down as a result of this war, so–and that doesn’t take into consideration the tens of thousands who have been injured…

MR. GREGORY: Mm-hmm.

SEN. REID: …and the thousands have been killed in the war. So it’s, it’s–historians will have to talk about what the war in Iraq did. But I think historians today indicate, as I have, the outline that I’ve given.

This is one of the primary elected officials we have entrusted to rescue the American economy, a man who cannot even admit that he was wrong about something so black-and-white as the success of Gen. Petraeus’ surge in Iraq?

My God, these people, many of which are led by Reid, have been hesitantly entrusted with the use of trillions of dollars in taxpayer money. We’ve seen what the federal government has done to the housing and credit industry, through the disaster known as the Community Reinvestment Act and the blind implementation of its principles. They won’t admit they were wrong there. We’ve seen that the $750 billion in TARP money has been largely squandered, and we still don’t know where it went.

How in the world can we entrust more of our money, not to mention the wholesale future of the American economy and America’s national security, to someone who consistently puts party before country, and who does it to the extent that he cannot simply admit that his prognostication was off-the-mark?

This man is a nightmare. And for the next few years, he’ll have a giant hand in shaping our legislation and legislative reach. The word “accountability” has never been in Harry Reid’s vocabulary, so watch your wallets and your freedom, because I sure don’t expect him to learn it now.

Comments

1. Claudia says:

I saw that Harry PIG Reid was on Meet the Press yesterday and opted NOT to watch it, although I hears some of what he said, and AS A NEVADAN who is proud of my state, I am appalled at the Audacity of Harry Reid and the thorough repugnance of EVERYTHING HE LETS COME OUT OF HIS MOUTH whenever he opens it.

I cannot tell any or all of you just how much that man makes me cringe and want to vomit every time I hear his voice. I am very sorry that any you are subjected his rhetoric and spouted hatred and ignorance.

Claudia,
    Reno, NV

2. lewis4645 says:

I totally agree with Claudia. This is the first time I have responded to this blog after reading and enjoying it for 6 months. I can’t help but feel ill when I hear what comes out of his and Nancy Pelosi’s mouth. Jeff got it right when he said that they put politics ahead of country!! I watched about 30 seconds of his rhetoric on Meet the Press and had to change the channel. The Dixie Chicks have nothing on Reid when he goes on National TV and shouts that President Bush is the worse President ever. He is disgusting and a disgrace to America.

Linda L.

3. CAPT-DAX says:

LOL,Sen.Harry Dickweed the weasel.

What an Embarassment to America he and Nancy Pee Pee is..God help us we have alot of work to do.

4. Author says:

Dingy Harry is an embarrassment to Nevada. He’s up for reelection in 2010 and the word is out that We the People of Nevada are out to retire the lowlife.

5. Carlyle says:

In the end, there’s nothing wrong with our congress that a good enema wouldn’t fix.

6. Jeff Schreiber says:

In order to give an enema, you’d have to remove their heads from their kee-ster first.

7. gailbullock says:

You tell ‘em, Claudia! Keep going–you’re doing just fine! (Thank you!)

I didn’t watch it, either–haven’t since Tim Russert died. I’m waiting to see how the winds blow with David Gregory before I return to MTP. The MSM is so slanted that it’s almost like listening to a bedtime story, to watch a newscast. I cried when Tim died. Life hasn’t been the same since.

8. Richard says:

Isn’t this exactly why the Founders gave so little power to the Federal government? The more they have, the more corrupt they become and the millions of citizens making millions of economic decisions every day in their best interest is how an economy prospers. Having corrupt, ignorant clowns like this “spreading the wealth” will lead us into Soviet style collapse sooner rather than later.

9. Laurie says:

Could not have said it better myself!!! LOL

10. PattyW says:

And the beat goes on…
    Saw the news today that my illustrious Gov. is now going to be the new head of the DNC. Oh joy, what a surprise! – NOT! I have watched Tim Kaine from the days he was on city council in Richmond until now and all he is, is a Yes Man. A d–n bobble-headed, butt-kissing, yes man. He is spineless and so PC he can’t commit to anything unless someone else tells him it’s OK. When the rumors were going around that he was a possible running mate for Barry, I thought, that figures; get the pasty white boy to stand beside him, nodding affirmatively to his every word. What a joke!
    As Gov., Tim Kaine had passed and then had to repeal a very unpopular method that he and his cronies had concocted to raise highway funds. (But that wasn’t the stated purpose because then it would require a popular vote.) It was sold under the guise of “Safety”. They had passed an excessive driving fine system that only applied to VA drivers. Out of state drivers had a separate fine system that wasn’t as harsh. and it was sold under the guise of “Safety”. It was thankfully repealed after only a few months when it was shown by real numbers that larger fines don’t equate to safer roads. And only fining the drivers that are familiar with their own roads was just unbelievable! Social engineering at its worse!

11. Bodenzee says:

Gail Bullock

“The MSM is so slanted that it’s almost like listening to a bedtime story, to watch a newscast. “

When I read bedtime stories to my kids…many years ago, it was to help them fall into a peaceful sleep.

Reid and Pelosi strike such fear for my country in me that only nightmares ensue.

12. Seeks Truth says:

Why is it dems cannot admit to their mistakes? I’m glad the RNC is admitting the mistakes with our party. And I LOVE what Gary Emineth says on p. 2 of this article.

“American people don’t care about statements that people make that may not be totally accurate.” — Sen. Harry Reid (Defeatist-NV), June 9, 2005

“We Stopped The Fighting [In 1991] Based On An Agreement That Iraq Would Take Steps To Assure The World That It Would Not Engage In Further Aggression And That It Would Destroy Its Weapons Of Mass Destruction. It Has Refused To Take Those Steps. That Refusal Constitutes A Breach Of The Armistice Which Renders It Void And Justifies Resumption Of The Armed Conflict.” — Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV), Congressional Record, 10/9/02, p. S10145

“The military mission has long since been accomplished.” — Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV), 4/23/07

15. Mary Ann says:

Hey, Jeff, spot on as usual! Have loved each and every comment, too. The only thing I have to add is that when my Mom uses the “henhouse” analogy it goes like this: “That’s like leaving the fox in charge of the henhouse.” I don’t think having a rooster in charge of the henhouse is necessarily a bad thing…if you’re a chicken farmer. Ah, but having a fox in the henhouse IS a bad thing.

Just my 2cents. Need change? =D

16. gailbullock says:

Bodenzee, what I meant was that the “news” was such propaganda that it was like the fiction of fairy tales.

I don’t remember being read to as a child to go to sleep. I had a radio and listened to vampire stories (that scared me to death)! Hmmm…things haven’t changed much, have they? :[

17. Carlyle says:

I was refering metaphorically to congress as the organism that needed the enema. Flush all the decayed biological filth and scum out of the organism! Shall I draw you a picture?!! :)

18. GUESSWHAT says:

Thought you might need a laugh!
    Obama's Plan for America, Socialism:

The Little Red Hen: a political variation with a different "twist" (conservative's) on a childhood tale.

The Little Red Hen called all of her Democrat neighbors together and said, "If we plant this wheat, we shall have bread to eat. Who will help me plant it?"

"Not I,' said the cow.
    "Not I,' said the duck.

"Not I," said the pig.
    "Not I,' said the goose.
    "Then I will do it by myself," said the little red hen. And so she did. The wheat grew very tall and ripened into golden grain.
    "Who will help me reap my wheat?" asked the little red hen.
    "Not I," said the duck.
    "Out of my classification," said the pig.
    "I'd lose my seniority," said the cow.
    "I'd lose my unemployment compensation," said the goose.
    "Then I will do it by myself," said the little red hen, and so she did.
    At last it came time to bake the bread.
    "Who will help me bake the bread?" asked the little red hen.
    "That would be overtime for me," said the cow.
    "I'd lose my welfare benefits," said the duck.
    "I'm a dropout and never learned how,' said the pig.
    "If I'm to be the only helper, that's discrimination," said the goose.
    "Then I will do it by myself," said the little red hen.
    She baked five loaves and held them up for all of her neighbors to see. They wanted some and, in fact, demanded a share. But the little red hen said, "No, I did all the work, so I shall eat all five loaves."
    "Excess profits!" cried the cow. (Nancy Pelosi)
    "Capitalist leech!" screamed the duck. (Barbara Boxer)
    "We demand equal rights!" yelled the geese. (Jesse Jackson & Barney Frank)
    The pig just grunted in disdain. (Ted Kennedy)
    And they all painted 'UNFAIR!' picket signs and marched around and around the little red hen, shouting obscenities.
    Then Farmer Obama came. He said to the little red hen, "You must not be so greedy."
    "But I earned the bread," said the little red hen.
    "Exactly," said Barack the farmer. "That is what makes our free enterprise system so wonderful. Anyone in the barnyard can earn as much as he wants. But under our modern government regulations, the productive workers must divide the fruits of their labor with those who are lazy and idle.'
    The Little Red Hen learned a lesson from that, and never planted, harvested or baked bread again. And they all lived happily thereafter because 'fairness' had been established. At least until the next winter, when all of the barnyard animals, including the little red hen, starved to death.
    Individual initiative had died, but nobody noticed. Perhaps no one cared … so long as there was 'free' bread that 'the rich' were paying for.
    EPILOGUE:

Bill Clinton is getting $12 million for his memoirs.
    Hillary got $8 million for hers.

That's $20 million for the memories from two people, who for eight years, repeatedly testified, under oath, that they couldn't remember anything.

IS THIS A GREAT BARNYARD OR WHAT? (whatever?)

Here’s a bedtime story for your kids. Pass it on.

20. Jeff Schreiber says:

I’m glad someone finally picked up on it.

I can’t just come out and say that Harry Reid is, well, a [another name for a rooster] … now, can I?

Later the same blogger wrote,

Now I hear that NBC is denying the event. A spokesman has stated something to the effect that “with all that is going on in the Middle East right now, there wasn’t time…”

That’s just “Liberal Speak” for “We’re just testing the waters a little here…seeing how far we can push you around before you squeal. We’ll push a little harder next time.”

My ban still stands! I am not going to take it anymore!

—–

“We the People”, let your mantra be:

THE BAN STILL STANDS!

Let the other media outlets sit up and take notice. “We the People” demand that they do their job and report ALL the news so that we can come to our own conclusions based on all the facts, not just selective portions.

We have seen what comes when the MSM decides what it thinks we should know, and what it does not want us to know!

Either the MSM will start reporting the facts, or we will bankrupt them, and force them to get out their “opinions” by posting comments on websites like we must now do!

Over my many years I have developed a strong tolerance for pathology in people — but this man, Harry Reid, is venal scum.

He brings to mind the advice of my late grandmother: “Liars are the worst of all.” She said. “Even a murderer can hide behind a liar.”

It’s hard for me to reconcile how many hundreds of our noble troopers were killed and how many thousands more were wounded because of the calculated political sabotage giving aid and comfort to our enemies served up by Harry Reid for personal political gain.

I can look in his eyes and see that he knows what he’s done. There’s a special place in Hell for men like Harry Reid.

23. willem says:

THE HARRY REID BREED

Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
    Class: Aves
    Order: Galliformes
    Family: Phasianidae
    Genus: Gallus
    Species: G. gallus fecalis

24. Tonytwotimes says:

Anon @ 11:19,

Those are crazy fun! I had to think about it for a minute before I understood what they meant!

Maybe after the Obama throws his new CIA director under the bus in a few weeks, which is what I’m sure he has planned to do all along, he should give “Good Sam” the position. After all, he certainly understands “codes.”

-Tony L.

“Any organisation is like a septic tank. The really big chunks rise to the top.” (John Imhoff)

The good people of Nevada have the incredible power of removing him from office by simply not voting for him. It is also quite incredible that one state, and not a very populated state at that, has such incredible power over the entire U.S!

The time he comes up for re-election, the GOP or any other opposing party should blanket Nevada with all of his shenanigans!

27. Claudia says:

We in Nevada, for the most part, are not happy with Dear Harry, however, he is NOT up for re-election until 2010, having won his his most recent re-election in 2006. We already had one potential contender (Brian Krolicki) for his seat and that man was indicted by our Attorney General Maesto for Fraud and Money Laundering charges, so just by way of the indictment – his political career is ruined and his credibility is gone, whether or not he is found guilty, (and he ewas a great cnadidate with good credentials) that once could reasonably suspect were forced on her by Dear Old Harry, because he fears that person who stated his intent to run against him. Harry Reid has spawned a few (4) sons and one (Rory) is bandying around his intent to run as Governor for State of Nevada in the next term available or as the Mayor Las Vegas, and untill then he is on the County Commission in Clark County as the Board Chair or Head, and another one is a Lobbyist, either in Washington or in the State of Nevada, and another is an Attorney. I don’t know what the other one does or is. The good old boy network is alive and WELL in Harry’s rather focused family and doing its best to secure the future of Nevada in the way that Likeable old Harry wants.

Personally, I think Reid and his whole family are scum, not even worth being call bullcrap, they are bottom feeders and I would NEVER VOTE FOR ONE OF THEM in any position and took and automatic dislike to good Old Harry “the first time ever I saw his face” (from Roberta Flack song). But, until a candidate oomes up that can stand the heart from Harry and bunch in Carson City, we won’t have anyone take that seat away from him. The good news is that in the US Congress, the Speaker of the House and the Senate Majority Leader only have those positions for 6 years, and both Harry and Pelosi will be termed out of those positions (seats, not out of office) by the time they each have to run again. However, I fear that the Country has just begun to hear from Good Old Harry cause he is a bitter, outraged old man who thinks he has been maligned for the past many years in his service to the Country, and he has several Ax’s to slice up things with. He has learned how to parse words just so that they seem the exact thing that anyone wants to hear from someone so bitter.

Claudia,
    Reno, NV

28. Jan says:

Like most of the others in DC, Harry has failed his duty. He is to be a “leader.” Last time I looked not owning up to mistakes is not a quality of a true leader. His very actions pointedly depicts who and what he really is.

29. Mary Ann says:

To: Guesswhat!

Your adaptation of “The Little Red Hen” was AWESOME!!! Worthy of publication in a newspaper somewhere, I think. =D

Mary Ann

30. toto says:

This is the same guy who says paying taxes is voluntary, but the next sentence says you’ll go to jail if you don’t pay your taxes. Geez, now I’m really confused.

You can look that up on youtube if you like. Just type in Harry Reid, and find the appropriate video. Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth.

31. Lilly says:

This is awesome, My Congressman, Don Manzullo, calling out Kashkari!!

32. Mary Ann says:

Lilly–I wish ALL representatives were “Statesmen” like Don Manzullo. Make Manzullo the Cash Czar–at least he understands the outrageous nature of a $3 Million bonus!

This is all such a crock of you-know-what! It is times like these that I actually miss having cable service. I miss C-Span and ESPN, lol. =D

Thanks for sharing. Everyone else, you have to watch that youtube video.

Mary Ann

33. suek says:

If you have a couple of minutes, this article deserves a read, and should be passed around _everywhere_!