No Sweeping New Year’s Day Rhetoric Here (okay, maybe a little)

I’m sure some of you expected some sort of sweeping conservative rhetoric here, about new beginnings, about the events of the year behind and the blank slate we have before us. In truth, I considered it, but ultimately decided to push it off to when my mind was more into it.

Today, New Year’s Day, I spent with family. We slept in (or tried). We had breakfast, fooled around, watched a little football, played with a Nintendo Wii, watched a movie, and that was it. It was the way is should be. It’s what it’s all about.

Family is the reason for this Web site, for the long hours spent reading news and commentaries, for the impassioned discussions with friends and others who know far more than I do. The reason I argue, the reason I reason, the reason I’m prepared to go to the mattresses for our country is because I want to hand a better nation–and indeed and better world–to my daughter when it’s my time to check out.

We’ve got our work cut out for us this year. The fourth of November–last year already–guaranteed that. But I’m excited. I like being the underdog, and I like what’s coming for this Web site and for the conservative movement as a whole.

In the meantime, it’s New Year’s Day. A day for rest.

Tomorrow, let’s get to work.

Comments

Let us refine the political design in 2009!

Watch out world —the first 20 days of 2009 will be the most historically significant days to the America’s future since 1776!

2. Ian Thorpe says:

Jan 2nd,
    Glad to hear you’re relaxing Jeff, I have a feeling you are going to be very busy.

As for the lack of rhetoric, worry not, I managed a bit of soaring, scathing satire today, mainly on one of my favourite topics, pointles scientific research. Down near the end though I manage to stick my boot in Sidi Obama and his much vaunted intellect.

As I was typing the blog post it put me in mind of that obviously photoshopped picture of Obama sporting somebody else’s ripped torso. Now I know a little about training, I did triathlons when younger which involves very hard training and I can tell you people may be able to put on muscle quite quickly with intensive training, the right diet and a lot of rest (not a programme that sits easily inside an election campaign scedule) but for that picture to be true Obama would have had to increase bone mass and that just cannot be done quickly if it can be done at all.
    How phoney is this guy?

would burying our congress in mail ref. this endless 'Natural-Born' issue be a worthy undertaking?

Don't get me wrong…the back and forth biopsies posted here have got me to thinking…BUT there was a certain inner peace standing on/at/in the mall…and then outside the dome and finally at the very steps of the Supreme Court Bld'g (the keepers of the bld'g would not allow one foot placed on the steps so as to chill any attempt at the run for the door) yet I savior the sound…'you work for us' & 'obey the constitution' echoing off the adjoining structures… so in lieu of just Blogg'n a word or two: what think ye now…what to do?

4. gailbullock says:

Anonymous asked, “would burying our congress in mail re. this endless ‘Natural-Born’ issue be a worthy undertaking?”

Anonymous, if there is any issue worth undertaking, burying our Congress in mail IS IT! How ELSE are our US reps going to know what “We the People” expect of them? We have to pull their heads out of the sand and cover them back up with mail!

Everyone can get the names and addresses of their Congressmen and Congresswomen, as the case may be, from the Internet. Get busy! January 8 is the date they have to have read the letters, which should be short and to the point.

Jeff can inform us, but he can’t do our jobs for us.

5. Seeks Truth says:

Have a blessed New Year. You are right to think generationally instead of thinking about the here and now (ME).

It will take a powerful work of God to turn the tide, but I pray that we will be His instruments to begin the momentum. I don’t want to hand our children this mess.

6. common sense says:

Jeff, Can we please return to the topic of Obama and skip the long winded history lessons. We all know how beloved Ronald Reagen is to right wing conservatives. Perhaps you could provide a link to “Editorials” and save this main page for news of what is going on in the world of lawsuits. Orly Taitz states there are currently 25 (or more) lawsuits but I’ve not seen anything about most of these.

If you (generic) are reading this post, you are surely aware that it is the opinion of thinking people that Obama is not constitutionally eligible to hold the office of the presidency. Only those who are unrepentant Obama supporters, or are totally ignorant of the “natural born citizen” clause in the constitution, can still be supporting him.

The Supreme Court judges are intelligent and know what they are doing. They are all well aware of the Obama controversy. Obama, so far, has broken no laws in his bid for the presidency. He has presented no claim to any authority of his eligibility. The DNC has attested to his eligibility, the secretaries of state of the 50 states have all placed Obama on the ballot but Obama has made no claim himself. Only the Supreme Court can prevent him from becoming the next president and they can only do that (I think) by not swearing him in. Perhaps this is one the reasons they have chosen not to act sooner.

Right now Obama is busy building a new government, putting in place his choice of cabinet and senior staff. He should have completed this task by Jan 20. Now, I ask you to consider:

On Jan 20, the first person to be sworn in will be the new vice president, Biden. This is to insure continuity of the presidency. Once the vice president has been sworn in, the president would normally be sworn in. This would be the best, least disruptive, time for them to act. If Obama is not sworn in that leaves Biden in position to assume the presidency with a fully staffed government and Obama just a citizen(?) with no elective office. Then, if anyone chooses to pursue his citizenship further or charges of perjury for his claim that he had never used an alias when he got his law license, more power to them.