Yellow Journalism May Very Well Come With a Price

Female Lobbyist alleged by Times to have had affair with John McCain sues for libel

At this time last year and throughout the primaries, as I threw my support behind pretty much anybody and everybody but Arizona Sen. John McCain, I warned that the GOP’s own darling of the liberal media would be turned upon by his fair-weather friends in newsrooms and on editorial boards across America just as soon as he appeared to secure the GOP nomination with their help.

I was right.

As soon as it became clear that Mitt Romney was no longer a factor, that Mike Huckabee finally decided to bow out, and that McCain therefore all but had the GOP nomination locked up, the very same mainstream press which had up until that point been among McCain’s strongest supporters, the very same mainstream press which, in editorial after editorial, derided those evil, flat-earth, Neanderthal conservative right-wing nut-jobs shouting to the rafters about McCain’s liberal record to anyone who would listen, turned on him in a split second, running a front-page article in which the paper, without ANY named sources, insinuated among other things that McCain had been having an extramarital affair with a Washington lobbyist and lawyer named Vicki Iseman. From a piece posted here at America’s Right in late February:

In one swift stroke of the pen–in the first 250 words, no less!–The New York Times insinuated marital infidelity, brought up the Keating Five scandal, and referred to the Arizona senator and inevitable GOP nominee as “a man of honor chastened by a brush with shame.”

It’s going to be a long year, and 2012 never seemed as far off as it does now.

A little more than three weeks after endorsing him for the Republican party nomination, The New York Times has given a nearly perfect Cliff’s Notes version of McCain’s hand in the savings and loan debacle and painted a deleterious picture of the senator and a female lobbyist, the two kept apart like a pair of star-crossed lovers by panicking campaign and political advisers, all with little to no evidence and nothing more than off-the-record anonymous sourcing (so much for Journalism 101). Yet the 180-degree turn is far from surprising — I even figured that the Keating Five scandal would be at the top of the list, considering its simple-but-damning nature and its stark contrast to McCain’s self-portrayal as a champion of ethical politics. Admittedly, I had no idea whatsoever about the special lady friend.

More and more with each passing day, I get the feeling that the next President of the United States of America will be named Barack Hussein Obama. While McCain may have been the decaying satellite to the Times’ editorial missile, the Old Grey Lady still managed to work the Illinois senator’s name into the piece, referring to Obama as “a Democratic contender who has made lobbying and ethics rules a centerpiece of his own pitch to voters.” (Hillary wasn’t mentioned.)

In the weeks leading up to Super Tuesday, we saw all too well the ability of the mainstream media to shape even the votes of conservatives and republicans, as evidenced by the crowning of McCain at Mitt Romney’s expense. In this celebrity-obsessed America, McCain already has an uphill climb ahead of him should he wish to even contend with Obama, who has out-fundraised him by more than three to one — with the mainstream media feeding off of Obama and Obama in turn feeding off of the mainstream media, the cycle is going to be nearly impossible to break.

Now, having waited until after the election, Iseman has turned the tables on The New York Times, filing a defamation and libel action in the United States District Court in Richmond, VA. In the suit, in which she seeks $27 million in damages, Iseman claims that the Times defamed her in that front page story, providing its readership with misrepresentations that she engaged in an extramarital affair with McCain.

Iseman, in the lawsuit, maintains that her friendship with the senator was not of the romantic nature insinuated by the Times, but rather was “entirely professional, ethical, and appropriate.” The piece, she alleges, has severely damaged her reputation.

While yellow journalism was certainly nothing new for the folks at The New York Times, this to me was the venerable paper’s first foray into the unacceptably egregious bias which permeated its coverage of the 2008 election and contributed heavily to the election of Barack Obama. The mainstream press has been nothing short of disgusting in this latest electoral go-round, and I must say that, with a country teetering on the edge of collapse in the face of economic and cultural and foreign policy crises, the Times’ complicity in the election of a completely unqualified socialist to the highest office in the land should be worth well in excess of $27 million.

Comments

1. Jose Alvarez says:

Jeff:
    You forgot to put that we are also on a verge of a moral collapse which will be exacerbated by the policies of the Obama regime if he does get in on the 20th. I still think that there is the potential of the COLB to become “COLB/GATE.”

2. Jan says:

I couldn’t agree more. When I read the report that she had filed suit against them I was ecstatic. I know this probably is not the appropriate response but I would offer more than just a little chuckle if the Times were to go bankrupt. It would serve them right for sure. I can only hope that conservatives around the nation will cease their support to the Times. I certainly have.

3. Author says:

How fast will the Times have an answer up crying they didn’t do anything wrong?

Ms. Iseman: Pull their pants down and whup’em good…$27M worth!

5. sneese says:

WOW!! Great article Jeff!! I love the last bit~unqualified socialist elected to the highest office in the land. A-men brother! When am I going to wake up from this nightmare????

I hope she puts the biased ragsheet out of business.

Jeff, yes, hooray for Iseman, even though some say she’ll have an uphill battle. For over a year by now, agree with you totally about NTY and others. And they’re still at it.

And did you see the Reuters piece today

(http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSTRE4BU53T20081231?sp=true)

about Connecticut ‘subsidising’ the press? Media management comments went on and on about the necessity of ‘maintaining a free press’ and about possible conflicts of interest. Disgusting.

As if they didn’t spend the past year foaming at the mouth over Obama while insinuating/lying/omitting in reporting the opposing side and its issues. Thank you for your commentary — it’s ‘free’ ….

8. Sharon Maxwell says:

Dear sneese, the nightmare has barely begun… If any of you out there believe in the goodness of God, then pray that He will Rapture His Church of true believers in Jesus soon! and when He returns after Armaggedon, then and only then will Peace and Righteousness reign forever!

9. Kahleeka says:

I was also ecstatic! Good for her! Sue ‘em for Mysogeny! I wouldn’t bother, but I support the lawsuit! (Lately the lawsuits I support aren’t going anywhere . . . so my allegience may not be such a good thing!)

:D Happy New Year!

Let us refine the political design in 2009!

Watch out world —the first 20 days of 2009 will be the most historically significant days to America’s future since 1776!

It is going to be a great experience sharing with you all the news MSM fails to broadcast. We may agree on a whole lot of basic fundamentals of being a patriotic American, living under the rule of one of the greatest contracts every written in the world, the US Constitution. Then we also may disagree on many ideas, too. For sure, if we work together, continue to participate on this site, and keep working towards the higest good of our beloved America, we will one day share a victory celebration that will benefit us and the future generations of American for many years to come. this site. It can only get better from here. Our greatest efforts are yet to come. We have only just begun.

I wish you and your families the highest and best good that the universe can give you. Though I don’t know you personally I have nothing but love in my heart for you, my fellow Americans in all colors, creeds, and ethnic backgrounds. Let 2009 be our greatest year of opportunity to aspire to the finest within each and every one of us.

Below is the start of a new web site. Please visit when you can.

11. Roses,WA says:

Aren’t the other papers who picked up the story also libel? If the first lawsuit brings in the dough, will there be others? Will this be the story, the final dominoe, that brings down the MSM? Nice to know I have a blog to go to for the show :-)
    Money may be tight in the times ahead, but it can’t buy love. And music has gotten really cheap and easy, better than Prozac. We will survive.
    Happy New Year is a conscious decision :-)

The NYT has a history of being a socialist rag with zero accuracy.

Take a look at Walter Duranty

won the Pulitzer Prize for “NOT” reporting on Stalin’s act of genocide against Ukrainians. The NYT seemed to like Joseph Stalin, the second greatest mass murderer in the history of mankind, Hitler was only a mere 3rd place, Mao had the honour of 1st place.

Gerry from Toronto