December 12, 2008 — Assigned Reading

Auto Rescue Bill in Peril, Opposed by GOP Senators
(FROM: Associated Press) This whole business about the proposed bailout of the automotive industry reminds me of that famous quote by former General Electric CEO Jack Welch, who said, simply: “Change before you have to.” The Big Three automakers have not done so, and they should unfortunately pay the price. Now, we’re hearing that, should this go through, the automakers will be subject to the will of the government-appointed “Car Czar,” who can micromanage the businesses by approving or denying basic business decisions. Furthermore, there’s the possibility that, in taking whatever money is given, the automakers will be barred from legally contesting certain governmental actions — paving the way for economy- and industry-crippling cap-and-trade legislation. I don’t like it, and these GOP senators who are standing up should be commended for doing so. Despite being an Alabama alum, Sen. Richard Shelby especially has done a wonderful job.

SEE ALSO:

Illinois Governor Ignores Obama’s Call to Resign
(FROM: Associated Press) Not surprising. This is politics-as-usual in Chicago, and Blagojevich perhaps doesn’t realize the fix he’s in. Regardless, I’m interested to see the downwind ramifications and consequences this has for Rep. Jesse “Senate Candidate No. 5″ Jackson, Jr. and Barack Obama as well. Also, despite the cost, the special election must be the best way to go about handling Obama’s vacant seat. I cannot think of anything else which makes as much sense.

SEE ALSO:

Michael Steele: We Need to Reach Out to Pro-Choice Republicans
(FROM: Hot Air) While part of me says “no,” that the GOP needs to adopt less and less of a McCain-like approach of reaching out–to La Raza, to environmentalists–the other part of me says that the best way to jumpstart the resurgence of conservatism in America is to argue first from the fiscal side of the movement, then bring in those on the social side. On one hand, polls show that we are still a center-right country and, therefore, the GOP does not need to expand the tent to accommodate those in the center — but on the other hand, the tenets of fiscal conservatism might be attractive to many who simply cannot get on board with some of the values of the social side of the movement. As you can tell, I’m conflicted, and still need to wrap my head around Michael Steele’s proposition.

Jindal Says Not Interested in Being President
(FROM: CNN) It’s really a “nothing” article, as it even expressly states that he will not rule out changing his mind about a White House run. Still, before receiving the “your favorite guy’s not even going to run!” e-mails, I wanted to make a point to remind everyone that in 2004, Barack Obama said that he had no intention of running for president, but obviously did so anyway. I hope Jindal changes his mind, but I’m not so sure that the conservative movement needs to place all of its eggs in one basket. After all, there are a host of good options for a candidate in 2012, when the GOP will hopefully have already learned its lesson that moderate Republicans do not win elections, when conservative ones do. There’s Sarah Palin of course, who will have four more years of gubernatorial experience under her belt and the advantage of being the inevitable go-to guy (or rather, girl) for the 2010 mid-terms, considering what she was credited with doing in Georgia for Saxby Chambliss. There’s Mitt Romney who, despite his checked past with regard to conservative principles, seemed to really come into his own, appreciate the merits of conservatism, and argue them effectively during the latter stages of the primary season and beyond. There’s Mike Huckabee, of course, who is hard not to like. There’s others, too, like Tim Pawlenty, Mark Sanford, Jim DeMint, Mike Pence, Eric Cantor, Paul Ryan, Michele Bachmann, and more. Still, Jindal is young, and if he wants to bolster his executive experience, I’m all for it.

SEE ALSO:

UN Blowback: More than 650 International Scientists Dissent Over Man-Made Global Warming Claims
(FROM: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment & Public Works) Plain and simple, the global warming–now “climate change,” as the globe is actually cooling and makes “global warming” a tougher sell–movement is a farce, a facade for global socialism. To say nothing about possible unintended consequences of wrongheaded human intervention, it’s not about the sea levels, it’s not about the polar bears (which are doing fine, thank you very much), it’s not about any of that — it’s about the transfer of wealth and the destruction of industry. It’s the newest avenue for socialism on a global level. This little article only goes to show that, contrary to what Al Gore says, the debate is NOT over. Honestly, I could go on for hours–and have already done so–but the casebooks call.

Comments

I must say I find the Gore graphic moderately disturbing and out of place on your blog.

Having said that I also think the “artist” (using that term loosely, no pun intended) did a fantastic job with the dookie and the dookie’s shadow. Nice touch;)

TJ

2. winni says:

Gore gif is outstanding. Just outstanding Jeff.

3. Annette says:

I homeschool my daughters, and my older daughter (9th grade) is currently using a pro-Creation physical science textbook entitled, “Exploring Creation With Physical Science” by Dr Jay Wile (Apologia Press, 2006).

I HIGHLY recommend this book for those who want to debunk global warming to their kids!

Jeff, the animated image of “Algore” is phenomenal! You should put this on your web site permanently via a link that says “A few choice words about Global Warming from the world’s leading expert”

GREAT job…!!!

Jeff, You might find this ineteresting…. http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=83346

watch the video!

Putting aside the wonderful Algore graphic (which is good), I’m still at a loss in what has happened to our economy all of a sudden, it seems. I’m sorry, but I do not believe for one minute that all of this wasn’t manipulated in some way from those guys somewhere, in DC? Or Soros? Well, I don’t know who or what, but before it happened, our economy in TX was great and was for about a month or two after all of this happened. Now? It’s terrible. I’m telling y’all this, something is going on and it ain’t legit.

For example, Pilgrims Pride Chicken made a ton of money last year. In 2007, they made $47 million. This year, 2008, they said they’re going to lose a billion dollars. So who stopped eating chicken so much? Every year they have done good.

Come on, everyone, something isn’t right. My husband’s work is horrible and it was good a month ago. His depends on new homes being built because he is a new home inspector. I’m telling y’all, it was so good a couple of months ago, now it’s bad everywhere, yet for some reason, I don’t believe this bull. With everything going on now, I find it just hard to believe that it’s bad.

I’m afraid I agree with JGalt and John Mirse about the Gore graphic. But then, again, it is your blog and it is a terrific blog. We’re all just hangers-on who benefit from your efforts. If we don’t like what we see, we don’t have to look at it.

Knowing how busy you are at this time, I feel kind of low-down to be complaining about anything. But it is because I have so much respect for you and all you do that I feel the need to comment on something that I find disturbing. It diminishes you. You’re better than that.

Honestly, I had the same feeling a week or so ago when you expressed your disgust for hippies. I know, I know — it is your blog, your excellent blog, and you can write whatever you like and we’re not paying subscribers.

Sorry for the rant, but it was born out of respect and admiration for you. Please don’t diminish yourself.

8. dragoon says:

Love the Al Gore gif – some of us know this is what he’s been spewing for a long time. The image succinctly, and with humor, makes a valuable point.

Humor is a great weapon. When McCain ran the “Celebrity” ads against that One, he (briefly) turned the campaign around.

Call the global warming crowd on their nonsense. It is their religion, and we must speak heresy. Do not give in and let nonsense like “greenhouse gases” pass your lips. Al Gore’s aim is control of your behavior and your money.

NO MORE BAILOUTS!
    Listed in the top 10 recipients for receiving financial campaign contributions and favors from wealthy Wall Street investment bankers, real estate brokers and labor unions are Sens Obama, Dodd, Kerry, Clinton, Schumer, Reid, Reps Frank and Pelosi. Democrats rushed to bailout Wall Street and major banks first, pushed through a $700 billion bailout package and AIG threw a big $500K party and has agreed to pay their top execs $93,000 to $4 million over the next 1 year period to keep them with the company from the governemnt loan. What a scam they ran on congress and the taxpayers! This huge bailoutwas approved with no restrictions or oversight,and has not influenced the lending practices of banks to help the average borrower.

An irony, anti-President Bush/Republican Party crowd presently begging republicans in the senate and Bush to support increasing the national deficit to bailout their political supporters for years of bad decision-making.

Democrats in congress voted against stricter regulations for the mortgage industry in 2005, and thousands of foreclosures resulted. They knew the nation�s economy was in trouble in 2006, 2007 and out of control in 2008. However, democrats chose to use the economy and President Bush as a campaign strategy in 2008 to win elections. Democrats can reward each of their backers with bailouts in 2009. The only bailout bill President Bush should sign into law before he leaves office is one for homeowners.

Concerning Michael Steele…and tolerance….
    Are we conservatives going to refuse any further selling-out by these liberal republicans? I am so tired of the pandering of the so-called right. Look, if we continue to compromise our moral compass, this country will only have itself (people) to blame. We can’t kick God and His ways out of every aspect of our nations’ fabric, tolerate anything and everything without much argument or standing against it, and then turn around and call on Him to save us from this mess we’re now in. And, in some cases…not call on Him or acknowledge Him at all, and then expect things to be different. Crying and whining about how bad things are, and expressing “shock and dismay”…I don’t find it shocking…it’s a gradual progressive secularism that has taken over during the last several decades due to humanistic thinking, and with it came a crashing down of belief of God, morals, honesty, etc…I’m really tired of hearing people complain about this current state of affairs, while just on this blog there has been a blaspehmous ad mocking Christ and His very existance…from the “God Movie”. How many of you on here protested that or spoke out against it? There have been some on here that have called for prayer and asking Him for His guidance and help, but they are the exception and not the rule, and that seems to be the problem at the heart of the issue. By choice, the nation has decided against Him and what else are we to expect? I guess next will come a blaming of Him.

Oh come on people whats the big deal with the Gore graphic? Its funny, and accurate so back off you freaks. Read for the content not the pictures, I stopped caring about pictures in stories after grade school, maybe you should too.

Have a nice day

This is for everyone who is disgusted by the Gore image to the point of not wanting to open the page anymore.

If you are a firefox user, right click on that image and click on "Block images from …"

(You may want to unblock it sometime later, when the image is gone from Jeff's blog. The list of blocked sites is under Edit -> Preferences -> Content -> Load Images automatically -> Exceptions .)

Jeff, I love the graphic and I am upset that the crapola that Gore has been spewing for the past decade has finally been exposed for what it is…crapola and once again the MSM is failing to cover the story!

It is no wonder that politicians use FEAR push through their agenda. Less than a half of a century ago, they had us convinced that we were going though another ice age.

Politicians like Gore love to use FEAR to scare the Crap out of people because they believe that most people have SH*T for brains.

Sadly, it has become more apparant in the last few months that most people actually do have SH*T for brains. “Hawaii says the’ve seen Obama’s birth certificate”….”Al Gore says the ice caps are melting”….”I heard it on MSNBC”……so it must be true! Now I have to go watch Desperate Housewives and check my bid for that PS3 on Ebay.

How many people have ever conducted their own research on global warming or Obama’s birth certificate or Chester Arthur or Tony Resko or …you get the drift?

In an age of instant access to information, I don’t know if people are just stupid or lazy or both.

I think the majority of society has become a bunch of automotons.

But, the sadest part of all is that the people that have “Sh*t for brains, don’t know they have Sh*t for brains. Maybe we can just put a big tatoo of a turd, right on their forehead, then the rest of us would know right away who were dealing with so we don’t waste our breath.

I think the Gore graphic fits, and I don’t mind saying it either.

I agree with the “Sh*t for Brains” post. I always thought the t-shirts that said “I’m with Stupid were funny, but maybe a better t-shirt would be “I am Stupid.” It is much less permanent than a “turd tatoo” on the forhead, and who knows, after enough ridicule, maybe people will actually turn off Despirate Housewives and actually read a book. Good post. Jeff, keep the Al Gore Graphic on the site. A picture is worth a thosand “turds,”….I mean “words.”

In the midst of the kerfluffle over the gross Al Gore graphic, might I interject a few thoughts on the article re: "Jindal Says Not Interested in Being President."

1. A couple of people have stated that Bobby Jindal is "not a natural-born citizen." Please, can someone give us a definitive answer stating WHEN did the law take effect which confers automatic citizenship on any person born on U.S. soil? I'm thinking of all the illegal aliens who sneak pregnant women across the Texas border so they can give birth at MY expense in a Texas hospital.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Jindal (don't know enough about him–seems a bit young), but I wondered what year it became possible to be a "natural born citizen" simply by exiting the womb in our land. He was born in Louisiana in 1971.

2. Regarding a preferable GOP candidate for 2012, you stated:
    "After all, there are a host of good options for a candidate in 2012, when the GOP will hopefully have already learned its lesson that moderate Republicans do not win elections, when conservative ones do."

Please check out Gov. Mike Huckabee's record from his 10+ yrs as governor of Arkansas, who IS a conservative. Don't believe what some folks say — do your OWN research. I did, and he earned my vote and my loyalty.

Huckabee is a fiscal conservative who, despite having the headwinds of an overwhelmingly liberal legislature, was able to push through the first broad-based tax cuts in Arkansas history. Huckabee also dramatically improved the schools and the highways, both of which were in a shambles after the Clinton years.

He was also able to push through some significant pro-life legislation.

When Hurricane Katrina hit, Huckabee was ready. He immediately mobilized a vast army of volunteers in his state to welcome the fleeing victims of the storm. They were fed and housed efficiently and generously.

You should check out his books, such as "Character Makes a Difference" or "From Hope to Higher Ground." His latest book, "Do the Right Thing," is #5 on the New York Times best-seller list. His highly-readable books are full of fresh, thoughtful solutions for seemingly intractable problems.

3. >> There's Sarah Palin of course, who will have four more years of gubernatorial experience under her belt and the advantage of being the inevitable go-to guy (or rather, girl) for the 2010 mid-terms, considering what she was credited with doing in Georgia for Saxby Chambliss.<<

I like Sarah Palin a lot. She is much smarter and tougher than most people give her credit for. But I like Huckabee and his record much more. By the way, Huckabee recruited volunteers from his HuckPAC website, who made over 4,000 phone calls into Georgia on behalf of Saxby Chambliss.

4. >> There's Mitt Romney who, despite his checked past with regard to conservative principles, seemed to really come into his own, appreciate the merits of conservatism, and argue them effectively during the latter stages of the primary season and beyond.<<

Mitt Romney is not a fiscal conservative! His mandatory health care plan (which provides abortions for a $50 co-pay) is bankrupting the state of Mass. as well as the businesses there. The economy went DOWN during his one term as governor, and businesses fled. The only reason people think he knows about economics is because he got rich by buying troubled companies, taking them apart, and selling the pieces — at the cost of thousands of JOBS.

4. >> There's Mike Huckabee, of course, who is hard not to like.<<

Huckabee is a highly gifted campaigner who was able to earn more delegates than Romney at a tenth of the cost, and incurring NO debt. When Huckabee was able to defeat the media blackout (incl. Fox) and actually speak to Americans, they liked what they heard. He came in 2nd in the primaries while having a paid staff of only about 35 people! The vast bulk of the work was done by a nationwide army of passionate volunteers like me — hard-working middle-class Americans who saw the real deal and happily gave their utmost.

Huckabee's weekend TV show on Fox is the highest-rated because he makes sense and isn't full of himself.

Anonymous, (12/13 – 1:53 AM)
    answer to question 1:
    According to the “textbook” definition from “The Law of Nations”; the reason Jindal isn’t a “national born citizen” is the same reason Obama isn’t (even if he was born in Hawaii)

Ҥ 212. Citizens and natives.
    The citizens are the members of the civil society; bound to this society by certain duties, and subject to its authority, they equally participate in its advantages. The natives, or natural-born citizens, are those born in the country, of parents who are citizens. As the society cannot exist and perpetuate itself otherwise than by the children of the citizens, those children naturally follow the condition of their fathers, and succeed to all their rights. The society is supposed to desire this, in consequence of what it owes to its own preservation; and it is presumed, as matter of course, that each citizen, on entering into society, reserves to his children the right of becoming members of it. The country of the fathers is therefore that of the children; and these become true citizens merely by their tacit consent. We shall soon see whether, on their coming to the years of discretion, they may renounce their right, and what they owe to the society in which they were born. I say, that, in order to be of the country, it is necessary that a person be born of a father who is a citizen; for, if he is born there of a foreigner, it will be only the place of his birth, and not his country.

I originally found the above info at http://naturalborncitizen.wordpress.com/ and would like to give a personal thank you to all the legal minds keeping us average citizens informed!

Granny T

Wow. 650 Scientists? That’s what? Less than 5% of the ones in Texas. What a great thing, an incredible minority whose background generally distances them from anything have to do with the environment argues against climate change?!

WOW!?

By that logic, if 1 person disagrees with the Berg thing, then clearly, his case is FAR FROM PROVEN!

Ok… Seriously?