November 21, 2008 — Assigned Reading

Overt Bias Again on Display at MSNBC, but…
(FROM: Newsbusters) What MSNBC did–the commentary at the end by David Shuster and the text overlaying the interview (“TURKEYS DIE AS GOVERNOR PALIN TAKES QUESTIONS FROM MEDIA,” “GOV. PALIN APPARENTLY OBLIVIOUS TO TURKEY CARNAGE OVER HER SHOULDER”) in particular–shows their overt bias against the Alaska governor, and is reprehensible but expected from that wonderful network. I will say, however, that there is something inherently funny about the video itself, the interview language (especially about three minutes in) juxtaposed with the actions of the moustachioed turkey-killer in the background. Honestly, this seems like something Joe Biden would get himself into, and if it were him, I would absolutely find it funny. Still, to me, the juxtaposition of interview with background is humorous enough on its own — MSNBC doesn’t have to go overboard with the text and stuff.

Michael Mukasey: Al Qaeda Detainees and Congress’s Duty
(FROM: The Wall Street Journal) Sadly, while giving a speech last night before the Federalist Society in Washington, D.C., the Attorney General collapsed and, as of this time (2:15 a.m. on Friday) nothing more is known of his condition besides what the Associated Press story says, that he is “conscious, conversant and alert.” This is certainly heartening, considering the nature of his collapse — as you can see in the raw video, he began to slur and stutter as he spoke to the crowd. This piece, from today’s Wall Street Journal, seems to show that he is trying to keep national security in mind when doing his level best with the bad situation handed to him by the United States Supreme Court. Personally, I think these detainees have no business whatsoever in courts on American soil, or receiving rights reserved for American citizens alone. These people are laughing at us. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed couldn’t believe that he was given even a single day in court. If given the chance, any one of these people would gut us and our children like a goat, and the fact that we’re even considering the prospect of releasing some of these detainees on U.S. soil makes me want to tear my hair out. Regardless, let’s say a few prayers this morning and today for Mr. Mukasey. From what he wrote, from how he’s trying to make the best of unfortunate circumstances, he certainly seems like someone I want on my side.

What Do We Really Know About the Uninsured?
(FROM: The Wall Street Journal) Excellent piece for a bit of perspective on Obama’s healthcare plan and supporting arguments. Still, all numbers aside, you’ve got to wonder how such a universal healthcare system would affect American ingenuity, the skill sets of American doctors … and not to mention the quality of care for American patients. Right now, in some countries, women who find a lump must wait weeks or even months for a biopsy, people in Britain have resorted to pulling their own teeth rather than waiting for a dental visit. There is a reason that we have the finest medical facilities in the world, that our doctors and equipment and support staff are the envy of nearly everyone, that people from all over the globe travel to America for elective procedures. No, the system is not perfect–despite having excellent health insurance, my daughter’s premature birth still cost us more than $5,000 out-of-pocket–but we must work for more competition, not less. The last thing we need is for the very same government that the left blames for bungling the response to Hurricane Katrina and that history shows tanked the housing market with relaxed lending standards in the name of social engineering to be playing around with our healthcare system.

DeMint: Republicans to Push ‘Bold’ Ideas
(FROM: Newsmax) I really, really like this guy. He’s someone who will turn out to be a real leader in this party, and it is apparent that he believes wholeheartedly in the strength of core conservative principles. Plus, all of my liberal friends in the Palmetto State don’t like him, so that alone is good enough for me. A big thumbs-up for Sen. Jim DeMint.

High Turkey Prices Blamed on Corn for Ethanol
(FROM: Newsmax) I cannot–CANNOT–believe that anyone ever thought it was a good idea to tap into our food supply in order to appease environmentalists with regard to a total farce and front for global socialism–global warming–which (a) may or may not be caused by human beings, (b) likely is a result of a natural cycle in temperature, and (c) may not be as harmful as the environmental alarmists suggest. This whole thing has gotten out of control. For a long time now, I’ve maintained that we must take a deep breath, step back, and assess what we really want to get out of the “green” movement. We need to be wary of unintended consequences. For instance, a study done by Stanford University showed that the amount of mercury in just one of those economical, environmentally-friendly compact fluorescent light bulbs is enough to contaminate more than 6,000 gallons of fresh water. We must be wary of unintended consequences, as nobody wants to be the pediatrician who treats and cures an ailing little Adolf Hitler.

SEE ALSO (one of my personal favorite articles ever):

Daschle Choice Tests Obama’s ‘No Lobbyist’ Pledge
(FROM: Newsmax) It also tests the whole “change has finally come to Washington” proclamation. As of November 15, it seems, 31 of the 47 transition or staff posts filled by Obama have gone to people with close ties to the Clinton administration, and eleven of the 12 members of his transition advisory board are Clinton administration veterans as well. Sure doesn’t look like much change to me.

Mitt Romney on MSNBC’s ‘Morning Joe’
(FROM: YouTube) A few days ago, I reproduced Mitt Romney’s excellent, tough love commentary on the possibility of our government bailing out the “Big Three” automakers. Hopefully, you read the piece then. If not, read it now! Anyway, here’s a pretty darned good interview with the former Massachusetts governor, who I happen to think is pretty darned right on the money:

Boehner Says House GOP Not Shifting to the Right; Other Leaders Disagree
(FROM: CNSNews) As angry as I am that nobody had the testicular fortitude to seriously provide an alternative to Boehner as House Minority Leader, I do take heart in some of the selections for leadership positions. Here’s part of a statement from Indiana Republican–and new Republican Conference Chairman–Mike Pence:

I will be loyal to the Cause of returning our party to the ideals of Lincoln and Reagan, the ideals that most Republican voters embrace—defending our nation, our treasury and our values with everything we’ve got. …

“And I’m going to be loyal to the Cause of returning a Republican Majority to Capitol Hill in 2010 …. We all have a duty to be the loyal opposition, to support the Administration when we can and to vigorously oppose every time they try to keep the promises they made to the American left.

“And if we do this, if we will be that loyal opposition … the American people will soon tire of the flowery speeches and see the Democratic agenda for what it is—the failed ideas of the Great Society and the New Deal.

“And they will come looking for the alternative. And that alternative will be a renewed Republican Party that combines time-tested conservative principles with a positive plan for the future.”

Sounds pretty darned good for me. For my take on conservatism in the age of Obama, please take a look at the three pieces in the “On Conservatism After 11/4/2008″ section at the right-hand side of America’s Right. The GOP needs to realize that moderate Republicans lose elections and conservative Republicans generally do not, and that we absolutely must not only return to our core principles, but learn how to effectively communicate our message to others.

Jonah Goldberg: Honestly, Another Abe?
(FROM: National Review) I actually have Doris Kearns Goodwin’s “Team of Rivals” on the shelf of my home office, ripe for reading over the Christmas holiday when the law school casebooks are shelved. I’ve heard, since this summer, that it is an excellent book, and all of the comparisons during this past week about Obama’s selections for posts within his administration has certainly piqued my interest. However, it’s already getting a little old, and may cause me to forego Goodwin’s book for another choice when classes break next month. As for Goldberg’s piece, it’s excellent — but what else would you expect from Jonah Goldberg (whose own book, “Liberal Fascism,” may replace Goodwin’s Lincoln tale on my nightstand in December)?

SEE ALSO:

Comments

1. Landstander says:

Anyone else thinking we need another Contract With America for 2010?

2. Landstander says:

I find the Palin video even funnier because the news reports were FACING the turkeys being killed and didn’t notice.

It’s a metaphor for the whole MSM!

3. Susan says:

MSNBC has officially crossed the line with me over the piece done at the turkey farm.
    I had already stopped watching the channel before the election and after watching this piece I was trying to think what else can I do.
    I figured it out, I have deleted the channel from my TV.
    They make their money from advertisement and with the channel gone I can’t even stumble upon one of their commercials.
    If this is what MSNBC considers breaking news then I don’t think I will be missing anything too important.

4. phil_world says:

This interview of Governor Palin tells more about the state of nervousness of the media than it is a criticism of Mrs. Palin attitude.
    Governor S. Palin is an all-American woman, and, thank G*d, she talks directly to people and does not have the sophistication of the intellectual leftists and liberals (pleonasm) that people just about half of this country and most of the MSM. And for this reason, Dems already know that she is the most dangerous opponent, politically speaking, to “the One”. Once our next government gets to business, they sure gonna have a hard with her, they know it and that’s what make them scared as hell !

5. patriotsista says:

I wish so badly that Romney would be able to put his money skills to work on the FEDS.Opportunity keeps skidding past him!

Nov 22 2008..Tomarrow the troops in Irag will declare The war is over and the Nov 22 will be Victory in Irag Day ( VI day )http.www://longwarjournal.com

The news media and Government will not tell you the truth….Get it from the troops on the ground…

The war is over..We are now in the occupation phase…troops will be there for the next 15 years training their troops and police..

you wont hear this from pres elect….

Very Important!
    There is an online petition at World Net Daily to sign to force BO to prove he is eligible…

please check it out:

kitty

8. bluewater says:

PETA – People Eating Tasty Animals

Tasty, Tasty Animals

Imagine our founding fathers watching a TV station that does the following: making fun of a person on a farm near the processing of our food supply. I can hear George and Ben now:

George: “I don’t get it, why are they laughing?”
    Ben: “Beats me. Let’s get a bite to eat. I think we can get to that farm in a few minutes… Nothing better than fresh turkey. You know – I still think it’s a better national symbol than the eagle.”
    George: “Who’s afraid of a turkey?”
    Ben: “Come on. Eagles are thieves, air-born wolves, scavengers. The turkey is a symbol of farms and harvest feasts. Besides, eagles taste a bit gamey and you need two to feed one soldier.”
    George: “Has anyone ever told you that you think too much?”
    Ben: “Would you hold this kite for me?”

You guys must listen to this audio clip…BO’s cousin admits BO’s birthplace…

The Scripture that keeps popping into my head with respect to Palin, is the one where Joseph tells his brothers the result of them selling him into slavery.

Gen 50:20
    But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

The WSJ article mentions examples of federal failure to perform, but the first on the list, Katrina response, was NOT a federal failure but a state governor failing to ALLOW the feds to help. FEMA sent a spokesman to our convention this year and he must be getting tired of explaining what the feds can and can’t do. Notice that the feds didn’t fail the northern states with the blizzard disaster, they were able to help themselves.
    Roses,WA

12. bluewater says:

Since you wondered:

Did Ben really want the turkey to be the symbol of the United States of America?
    In a letter to his daughter, Benjamin Franklin wrote:

For my own part I wish the Eagle had not been chosen the representative of our country. He is a bird of bad moral character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead tree near the river, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the labor of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a fish, and is bearing it to his nest for the support of his mate and young ones, the Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.
    With all this injustice, he is never in good case but like those among men who live by sharping & robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the district. He is therefore by no means a proper emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our country…
    "I am on this account not displeased that the figure is not known as a Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the truth the Turkey is in comparison a much more respectable bird, and withal a true original native of America . . . He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a bird of courage, and would not hesitate to attack a grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his farm yard with a red coat on.

Please sign the new World Net Daily Petition FOR PUBLIC RELEASE OF BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

It is being sent to: Electoral College, Congress of the United States, Federal Elections Commission, U.S. Supreme Court, President of the United States, other controlling legal authorities.

Ok why isn’t MSNBC embarrased about the backdrop of their own interview. Don’t they decide on it?

Ok now that I’ve seen how it’s done I’m not eating turkey anymore. =( I don’t like how the whole poultry industry handles these animals and this just solidified my distaste. Yuck.

Laura

I sure wish somebody would do something about the two-legged Turkeys broadcasting on MSLSD.

They’re all half-baked as it is. Time to finish the job and tell the Yams they’re done.

High Turkey Prices Blamed on Corn for Ethanol???

Interestingly, my family that has a large farm 2000+ acres in the midwest is being bought off by our government to NOT farm certain tracts of their land. Yes, you heard right. Many, many programs in a myriad of disguises out there to pay our farmers $$$ to NOT plant their land. Often they come out ahead by NOT farming it. THIS is what is driving shortages and food prices.

17. Jeff Schreiber says:

Roses,

You’re right. It was a state and local obligation, spearheaded by Landrieu and Ray “Evacuation Expert” Nagin.

Still, I wanted to use it as an example of how the same people who blame the gov’t for Katrina bungling want them to manage their healthcare…

18. Jan says:

What a great idea for executives in this country!

19. Rob Shore says:

At least she didn’t gut and field dress a Caribou on TV, now that would have tainted some dinners.

The guy in the back twisting necks looked a little like John Kerry (that Rascal), maybe he was trying to Swiftboat Sarah.

Leo Donofrio to be back on Overnight AM with Lan tonight 10 PM ET time. Breaking news- no other info available on website.

21. Kalani says:

The Time article was enlightening but also sad as well.

It states that the use of biofuels can be justified by the “carbon storage” theory — cultivated fields as an absorber of CO2. Unfortunately, like the rest of the MSM, TIME still refuses to believe that the CO2 theory is a scam that is much larger than the biofuels. (American Thinker has a great article by Greg Young http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/11/global_warming_bring_it_on.html)

BUT one thing the TIME article did mention — but failed to build upon as it would destroy its headline — SUGAR CANE may be a better source for biofuels than grains. The experience in Brazil certainly needs some research.

However, with a $8 billion subsidy from the US taxpayer makes it hard to turn off the tap for GRAIN biofuels.

The bottomline is grains would be better used to feed the world poor — and reducing the food prices for the huddled masses in America with rising food costs. In this case, I agree with the Time article.

22. Mark says:

You will not be disappointed with Jonah’s “Liberal Fascism”. I am currently on Chapter six and have been in “shock and awe” since the the beginning. To say I had “no idea” is an understatement. The problem going forward for conservatives and the Republican party is how to get liberals and the Democrats to read this book.

Another book to add to your reading list is “The Liberal Mind” by Dr. Lyle Rossiter. This is next on my list.

Re: Mitt Romney being “pretty darn right” — all I can say about that flip-flopping, hair-gelled, plastic charlatan is: Even a broken clock is right twice a day.