Stupid? Not necessarily. Ill-informed? Absolutely.

Scary. Oh, man, that’s scary.

John Ziegler, a writer and producer has put together a documentary entitled “Media Malpractice,” which he discusses at his Web site, HowObamaGotElected.com. Of course, for those who feel that Ziegler just interviewed a ton of people and picked only those who furthered his own message, there’s the corresponding Zogby poll.

I’m swamped today, but when I have more time later on tonight after class (I don’t finish until about 10:15pm), I’m sure I’ll have more to say. Even if I had time right now, I’m not sure I could put my thoughts down effectively after watching this.

In the meantime, a few questions to ponder:

• Was responsibility for this solely on a completely biased mainstream press, or could it be argued that the GOP was painfully deficient in getting the word out?
  • If responsibility fell mostly on the media, what does this say about the chances for conservatives in the upcoming election?
  • If responsibility fell mostly upon the GOP and John McCain, how do we ensure that we get the message out better between now and 2012?

UPDATE: It’s 11:45pm. I’m on about three hours of sleep, and need to read about 30 pages for tomorrow night’s class now, since I won’t have time at work tomorrow. I’m toast for tonight, so if I weigh in on this again, it will be tomorrow. Regardless, you guys are doing a good job of answering these questions anyway.

Thanks for understanding.

– Jeff

– Jeff

Comments

Ziegler’s poll and video show the exact same thing as Howard Stern’s audio of Obama supporters in Harlem–indisputably clueless ignorance voters had of each candidate’s stand on issues. EVERYTHING said by the voters interviewed is 100% reflection of MSM’s pro-Obama brainwashing….and 99.9% of voters depend SOLELY upon MSM for their information.

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill

2. ChuckO says:

I think it’s mostly the Media’s responsibility. McCain was already painted by Obama and his boot-licking media as running a 100 percent negative campaign. Getting the message out on most of these issues would have required more negativity, so the campaign was in a catch-22.

The media was THE deciding factor in this election. Sure Obama has his race and certain other political assets going for him, but if the media had been honest and thorough in its reporting on him, he likely would not have made it into the national political arena.

There may have been some ways in which the GOP could have fought back against the media juggernaut, and their biggest failing may have been a lack of creativity. Still, even the best-run campaign would have a very tough time competing against team Obamedia.

I think the media squandered whatever credibility it had on this race. If the Obama administration lives down to Biden’s expectations for it, hopefully the Obama minions will realize that, hey, “trickle up” economics doesn’t work and they’re much worse off than they were led to believe they’d be. Maybe then they’ll realize they were sold a bill of goods by the media, and conservatives’ chances will be much improved in 2010 and 2012.

One can only hope.

Great questions. One thing is for sure the GOP and McCain bear major responsibility for lacking a coherent message. I was working as a Poll Watcher on election day and saw and heard alot of discussion going on and it was painfully clear that we were out-pitched big time. Something was dreadfully wrong with the campaign, from McCains refusal to attack certain perceived politically incorrect issues to his failure to uphold conservative principles such as when he suspended his campaign only to fall in line with the Dems push to pass a huge bailout without any oversight (I was actually naive enough to think he was going to go to Washington and take a stand against this sham and actually be a “Maverick”) and confusion over his own positions-the only thing that was really clear and consistent was that he irritated the heck out of me saying “My Friends” all the time.

4. Mattsmarie says:

Jeff
    You are right that the GOP didn’t get the word out but it is simplistic to think that a better PR effort will overcome what we are up against. The conservative community has been sleeping through the Bush years all the while the far left in this country has been putting in place a complex infrastructure to control the media and their message. All you need to do is watch the tactics used by such organizations as the Obama campaign, mediamatters, the DNC, etc. They are all heavily funded by George Soros and heavily influenced by Saul Alinsky “end justifies the means” type strategies which are all about how to manipulate the public “mind” to believe the progressive, far left world view. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but the clues are everywhere.

The GOP is going to have to either put a similar organization in place or carefully find ways to neutralize these highly organized and funded efforts. That will require some real innovative, intelligent thought on the part of the GOP–something they haven’t been demonstrating a lot of lately.

5. Lisa says:

First of all, this politically correct stuff is painfully annoying. Were the voters painfully misinformed? Yes, definately. But, they were STUPID as well. I have yet to get an intelligent response when asking someone why they were voting for Obama. Mostly I get the “we need change” and “Bush has screwed this country up” response.
    The MSM is I would say mostly responsible for Obama’s election. McCain didn’t stand a chance due to the coverage. Add to that the fact that Obama played the race card early on, which made any questioning of his background or associations very polically correct. Between Obama and the MSM, McCain’s hands were tied.
    With that said… the information (and questions) about Obama can be found easily enough by a voter who cares enough to do their homework.
    It bothers me that this country has gone so far as to elect someone with the background, history, associations and beliefs Obama has simply based on his ability to talk a good game. Our founding fathers would be spinning in their graves.
    We have turned into a nation of people who for the most part value style over substance. Who take our right to vote for granted and therefore don’t take it seriously enough to make an informed choice. Who have the depth of a puddle and the attention span of a gnat. Who will take the word of a smooth talking politician even when faced with facts to the contrary. Who value entitlements instead of hard work. For this the voters are indeed STUPID… and the MSM are largely responsible for that.

When we lose our freedoms due to this radical’s election… we will have only ourselves to blame.

John Ziegler said on Foxnews that he didn’t pick out those people, another person picked them out for him.

Glenn Beck’s radio show has over several mornings asked the audience and certainly many Democrats and Obama supporters questions about America, our history, our government, our candidates, the candidates positions, and our founding forefathers.

It is a sad commentary that MOST of those who called in could not correctly answer even MOST of four questions asked of them, even when they had heard the prior callers asked the same questions and get them wrong.

These weren’t tough questions generally. Who is Joe Biden? Well of course, he is a football player isn’t he?

Heaven help us if that person on the street had to name the person in office who becomes President if the President and Vice President are no longer available. Heck, many could not name the present Vice President.

And forget them naming ANY of our founding forefathers, much less the requested THREE. Kennedy, right? He didn’t know any others…

And if a supporter is told major political positions of McCain and incorrectly told that those are Obama’s policies, did it matter in their support? Nope.

And this isn’t limited to just Democrats or Obama supporters. Much of the public has been dumbed down over the years. They lack even basic knowledge of our country, its government, our politicians, and even what many of the issues even mean.

Forget any of them being able to define “what Obama means by change.” That simply is a fill in the blank that the person uses to say what they would LIKE to see happen, not what Obama actually intends to do or has actually said.

So sad, really. God help us.

Lan Lamphere posted this on his site today:

America Calls for a Boycott

It seems as though American’s nation wide are choosing to boycott the following business for their support of Barack Obama in the 2008 election process. I’m putting this information here as a reference. if you choose to boycott these companies and services, you do so on your own accord and not because Overnight AM, or Lan Lamphere endorses such action.

Visit the link for a list of companies supporting Obama. Also, don’t foregt HOLLYWOOD!!! They cannot make money without us, and we are not going to reward them!

Source:

9. Bobby K. says:

“Keep people poor, uneducated, and misinformed and you can control them.”
    People are to lazy to check out things for themselves, they rely on the government, the media (bias as it is), and the left coast to tell them what and how to think. Today all you have to do is promise to give something for nothing and you have them. People sit around and complain and do nothing.
    I for one will get ” a tingling sensation running up my leg” about Aug or Sept when the supporters of “The One” don’t start getting their checks for voting…..

This video sadly comes as no shock to me. I have already seen firsthand how poorly informed some Obama supporters are.

I have posted several blogs on my Facebook site trying to inform my friends of the unethical dealings throughout history on behalf of Mr. Obama as well as the question of his natural born citizenship. It hardly matters to these people.

When asked simple questions, they freeze up or come back with answers such as well, we need change, bush has screwed the country up, we can’t have another republican, Obama is for change.

Or they hinge the entire election on one issue such as Gay Rights, Pro-Choice, etc… Rather than the issues that should be a priority such as the ecomony, taxes, our national security.

People are just glad to be a part of the hype. If one candidate is “cool” and the other is “lame” who do you think the average voter between 18 and 30 is going to choose? The “cool” one obviously. They have been brainwashed by our MSM, as well as by a corrupt educational system.

I am 25. I pay attention, sometimes too much. But I know how these people think, because I too used to be uninformed. When I voted in 2000 and 2004 for Bush I was very uninformed and just relyed on my Parents for info.

This is the first election that I have actually paid attention to, and for the first time, I can say I am truely informed. However, this is not because the MSM has helped me out, they haven’t, I have done the research myself, looking for unbiased, informed sources such as americasright.com.

What will it take for the American public to wake up??? A major international crisis perhaps? Or the complete bankrupting of the US as we know if by a Democratic Majority federal government? We’ll see.

In the meantime, the Republican party better be beefing up, and screw political correctness! Seriously, we need some REAL straight talk in 2010 and 2012!!!

Oh no! Now this:

Q. What is barack obama’ s zip code?

A. His zip code was 60606.

13. Stacy says:

Seeing that video makes me want to puke and weep for my country all at the same time.

It is not for the Republican party to “fix” the problem by 2012.

Open your eyes and see – the media, the Democratic Party, and the Republican Party are all run by the same people, holding the same purse strings, and serving the same master.

Until the patriots of this country separate from that machine, nothing will change.

14. rrobin says:

Jeff, here’s a little something in appreciation for all you do here.
    By the way, any news about the hearing in Hawaii today?
    Thanks.
    This is incredibly beautiful.

15. Steve says:

Interesting take on a scripture verse that us Christians tend to use from time to time – 2 Chronicles 7:14 “If my people , who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” This scripture, unlike what I keep hearing about today, is not intended to mean all of the people in the USA. It’s intended for those who call themselves God’s people. I believe where we need to be in the next years to get this great country back on track is to take care of the problems within the “religious right” itself. While everyone keeps harping on the antics of society, the church is no different in their morality as a whole. We need to clean up our act first, then we have the authority to send a message to our country. Divorce rates, sexual promiscuity, abortion advocation, and support for homosexual rights are some of the issues that are coming into being mainstream “Christian” accepted lifestyle choices. Many in the Catholic church voted for a Presidential ticket that strongly supports abortion rights. Many young people in the Christian church as accepting alternative lifestyles as the new “norm”.
    Let’s face it, until we get “our” act together and get back to being a people of God, there is going to be no “conservative” party in America.
    Just my humble opinion,

Steve Cobbs
    California Youth Pastor

16. Garacka says:

I agree we neded straight talk. I was very excited about Sarah Palin for that reason, but McCain was not up for it.

I wrote the campaign an e-mail stongly suggesting they take off the gloves and lay out the case that Anthropogenic CO2 induced Global Warming is a hoax that is in many ways not too dissimilar from the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac mortgage crisis fiasco.

Palin would have been the one to do it, but it may have been too far out there especailly as McCain would have been portrayed as a flip flopper and the EnviroDEM machine would have out maneuvered the conservatives for sure.

This might now be a winner though for the conservatives, especially after the US enacts Carbon Cap and Trade (can you say tax?) program next year and much of the West (the EU and New Zealand anyway) are backing off and in the UK, the commoners are grumbling.

Global cooling for teh last 7-10 years and lots of record cold events can’t hurt either.

The MSM need to be sued big time. They are so at fault for many things because they are supposed to report news and try to do it truthfully, and it just goes to show us that they have failed on all fronts. And most people don’t even know why they voted for Obama. Did they get free concert tickets, free tickets to football games, baseball games, etc.? Well, then, Obama must be a good guy because he gives us tickets! LOL! Such crap.

And politically correct is just a bunch of garbage too. All this does is try to hide truth in any way, shape or form.

I’m just a regular hard-working American. What do I know?

18. John Galt says:

For many of these Americans, the explanation was rather simple… the news media, completely enamored with Obama, simply refused to do their job.>>

The above quote is from the website that produced the above video i.e, howobamagotelected.com

The above quote is 100% wrong.

The media did its job to perfection. Anyone who believes that it is the media's job to be fair and report the facts accordingly is living in a fairytale.

The media is owned by people. People who have agendas just like all people due. The media's agenda in this last election was to get Obama elected.

The media did their jobs and was successful.

19. Indigo Red says:

The respondants and I had access to the same information from the same media sources. I would suspect that all the commenters here did too. Yet, it's only the Obama supporters who were fooled, hoodwinked, and bamboozled by the evil media. (I also assume many McCain supporters would likewise fail the Q&A, but they weren't asked.)

The MSM is a sorry lot indeed. But, I dare say, it has had far more power attributed to it than is deserved. If I got my info from the MSM, and Jeff got his info from the MSM, and all the commenters here got their info from the MSM, then I can truly assume the fault lies with the interviewees, not the MSM.

With all the access to news and events presented by television, radio, print, and internet, these people still don't know the simplest of Q&A, again I can truly conclude these 12 Obamapostles are willfully ignorant at best or incredibly stupid at worst.

20. Garacka says:

Perhaps the conservative party needs to develop a very very well strategized/targeted education /awareness campaign that starts now and just continues.

Perhaps the messages should not draw attention to who is putting them out. They should be done with a liberal and “hip” look and feel.

They would need to go on the liberal media outlets and during the time slots when the well informed Obama supporters who spoke in this video would be watching.

Frustrating to watch, but from what I experienced personally as I attempted to talk to people— pathetically true. So many of them were/are totally misinformed and uninformed. When I tried to pass info on to my OB-obsessed or supposedly undecided friends, they perceived me as negative too. This is just downright freaky!

22. goddessdivine says:

Hands down it’s the media. It’s no secret they have leaned to the left for years, and continue to be driven in that direction. Not that McCain is without blame, but when you’re trying to combat the liberal media, you have to work 5 times as hard. It’s sickening really, that so many of these uninformed Obama-ites have no clue for whom and what they voted.

The GOP needs to pull itself together and come up with brilliant new ways to get their ‘word’ out. They can’t rely on the media. Let’s hope for this country’s sake, they do so by 2012….or 2010.

A branch of NBC news has finally reported something on the Obama crisis currently going on about him not being a natural born citizen.

americamustknow.com/allenkeys.aspx

24. addamstaft says:

You ask — was the responsibility the biased press or the GOP? The problem was the money. With all the money Obama had, the rest was easy. The question is — Where did the money come from? We don’t know, and I guess the FEC has decided not to ask.

It is ironic that Obama won this election because he correctly depended on the ignorance of the vast majority of his supporters. They think he is their savior and he has used that dependence and desperation to his advantage…he has USED them because they allowed him to and they don’t even realize it. When these voters were asked questions and they didn’t have a clue as to the answer, it didn’t even BOTHER them that they were totally in the dark, they thought it was FUNNY. I was embarassed for them, not that I know everything myself, but I tried to educate myself and learn as much as I could about these candidates. One thing I think we could do is to reach out to people who supported Obama and engage them in informative conversation, not in a condecending manner but with an open mind so that we can start a dialogue about these issues and explain to them how important their vote is and what their responsibility as a citizen is. The MSM had an agenda and it was evident from the beginning…they want the Fairness Doctrine brought back because many people get their news from the internet and they want to shut the talk shows down. We have a lot of work to do to counter act what we face and the first thing is to rebuild the Rep. Party or establish a true conservative party so that our message will be presented effectively.

UPDATE on Andy Martin’s case. – Not sure what this means, but its not completely negative:

Source: http://www.therightsideoflife.com/?p=990#more-990

Court Minutes Text Case Title: ANDY MARTIN VS LINDA LINGLE ETAL 1CC08-1-002147 Div.: 1C21 CM DATE: 11-18-2008 Time: 1030A Priority: 0 Judge I.D.: JBAYABE Video No.: Audio No.:
    Minutes: *********COURT REPORTER PHYLLIS TSUKAYAMA*********
    (10:38:15-11:16:46) CT CLK: K. MORIYAMA
    APPEARANCES: ANDY MARTIN, PRO SE PLAINTIFF
    JILL NAGAMINE/HEIDI RIAN F/STATE OF
    HAWAII
    AFTER HEARING FROM COUNSEL AND ARGUMENTS MADE,
    COURT TO TAKE THIS MATTER UNDER ADVISEMENT.
    HEARING CONCLUDED

It still blows my mind that black people rallied around this fake with their class envy when both he and his wife attended Ivy League schools, became millionares and he ascends to the highest office in the US and not one soul in his family were ever slaves.

…and they relate to what?

The Battle Hymn of the Republic posted above is indeed beautiful. It really got to me.

What if we got this viral? Send to some of the news media’s email addresses. Are there any other videos floating out there that elicit the same emotional response? Something as simple as a Battle Hymn sung by children, no matter how bitter a person may be, could possibly break their spirit down. They seem to have many frustrations…from their life experiences perhaps. Let’s send it to all the politicians too, maybe we can appeal to their innate sense of being good people?
    God Bless you all and God Bless America!

I believe the media’s was very biased and lacked investigative reporting on Obama. If any of the following had been thoroughly investigated by the media, the Presidential race may well have been very different.
    Just to name a few topics: Obama’s Place of birth and citizenship status, his years in Indonesia and Hawaii. The lack of college transcripts and details of his goals and achievement as Senator of Illinois and community organizer in Chicago. Details into the home real estate deals and origination of campaign funds. Information about his membership in the New Party and association with Acorn and Odinga in Kenya. The history with Ayers, Wright, Rezko, Khalidi and relationship with Frank Davis. Maybe an in depth analysis of his books and his philosophy
    They (the media) missed it, but we did get great detail on Palin’s kids, her wardrobe, book ban, police firing and moose and wolf hunting. Lots air time on Joe the Plumbers personal history and very little news on McCain’s senate achievements just his age.
    It is sad time in history that this Presidential campaign was left void of good solid investigative reporting by the media and ignorance is not bliss.
    I am not sure the GOP could have changed the Medias lack of enthusiasm to investigate and I don’t see them changing in the near future. The GOP could use the web more efficiently and incorporate the bloggers to spread the word. Frankly it was the bloggers like you that gave me the best information about the candidates and not the sanitized sound bites on TV.

FYI this may be a good organization to voice our opinion in Washington DC one party government

Join the resistance

30. Kahleeka says:

Anyone feel discouraged by all the news? I got this link this morning; young children singing and performing The Battle Hymn of the Republic! Truly a treat!

This is not surprising to me at all. Ran into the samething when dealing with people in my own family. Had no clue…just that “The One” was for change and it was time for a Dem to get a chance. Ridiculous and I can only hope that the GOP gets its act together so that we can start putting this country back together in 2010. Based on this report I think that along with ID you need to pass a simple 5 or 10 question test. Don’t pass…Don’t get to vote!!

I’m sorry, but not knowing who is in control of congress is not a media misinformation conspiracy, it’s just being plain stupid.

Lao Tzu said…

What is a good man but a bad man’s teacher?
    What is a bad man but a good man’s job?
    If you don’t understand this, you will get lost.
    It is the great secret.

The media won this election by feeding the blatant ignorance of the country’s woefully undereducated who hail from the country’s unionized schools. It was a shamefully easy thing to accomplish.

If the U.S. government wasn’t already bankrupt, I would be concerned that this arrangement could keep the Democrats in office forever.

But since the U.S. has already been put on notice that its credit rating is going to be lowered, the Democrats will not be able to print more money. Their only real hope is to drastically cut taxes and spending. It will be interesting to see how Obama deals with reality.

Let’s be honest about this. Both political parties, for several decades now, have been ignoring individuals in favor of groups. The Democrats overtly practice the Identity Politics of Stalin/Beria.

It’s a phenomena of sorts, but the dominant culture in our society today is the government/non-profit sector.

Growing up as a “duck and cover” baby, I was taught to fear the military/industrial complex.

But that is nothing compared to the explosion of non-profit advocacy this or that groups. These are fundamentally aberrant corporations. Corporations exist for two reasons, for profit and for power.

If the purpose of a corporation is not profit, such as a non-profit, then its only purpose is power.

What is a corporation whose purpose is power but a corporation that seeks power over others, as any power other than “over others” is useless.

What is a corporation that seeks and holds power over others, but a form of government.

What we have in the recent proliferation of non-profits represent a malignant conflagration of competing government… a government that does not recognize the individual, on the group… a government that marginalizes the individual and agitates and lobbies and clogs every orifice our elected government making access by the individual nearly impossible.

So, in this election, we have gotten our first naked look at the beast which has take shape beneath our collective noses.

We have come to a point in our union our Founders most feared: home grown Oligarchy.

It’s my working contention it began in institutional earnest with the passage of the 17th Amendment, which cause a simultaneous reduction in the popular significance of state legislatures while destroying the balance intended by the fathers to malform the Senate into a micro Oligarchy both “co-President” and “co-Governor” …. a cult of personalities that became very much like the House of Lords.

What the Donofrio case has provoked in my thinking concerns the depth of collusion between the Republican Senator and the Democratic Senators in passing the “natural born citizen” resolution for John McCain; a resolution which gave equal cover to Barack Obama. If there was not guilty knowledge in the Senate and among the candidates they would not have passed such a deceptive and meaningless resolution to create the wrong and false impression that McCain and others like him were indeed “natural born” and there for eligible to hold the office of POTUS.

In a Darwinian way, our government over the many decades has selected-for a ruling Oligarchy.

There is no avoiding the pathology, but it can be managed. When the election of Senators ceased to be filtered by the politics of state legislatures and state governors; when the Senators ceased being the elected representatives of the their respective state governments, that is when the real dangers began to surface. The 17th Amendment freed the Senators from their state’s legislatures.

What made McCain so offensive to me was his excessive parochial reverence for his Oligarchical cohorts. He conducted himself with special consideration for fellow Senators, with boorish displays of provincial niceties and pandering.

They are all that way. I think we as a people are nauseated by it.

A vote for Obama was a big FU. That’s what took him over the top in this election.

“Change” was a euphemism for “FU.” The stupid republican machine played into it perfectly. So perfectly, not even Palin could save them.

Help start a grass roots movement to repeal the 17th Amendment. That will do more to help our nation than any one other thing.

Thanks to the (other) Anonymous for the update on Andy Martin’s Hawaii case.

“Under advisement” means that the court hasn’t decided which way they’re going. They want more time to consider it, maybe get some more briefing from both sides or just more fully review the briefing now on file.

37. Me says:

anonymous said on November 18, 2008, 7:25 p.m.:

“Oh no! Now this:

Q. What is barack obama’ s zip code?

A. His zip code was 60606.

Yes, his zip code is 60606. Another strange coincidence regarding Obama and the number 666 is that the winning lottery numbers in Obama’s state of Illinois the day after the election, on 11/5/08, were 6-6-6.

A check of the Illinois Lottery site for 11/5/08 confirms that the numbers for evening pick 3 were, in fact, 6-6-6. The evening pick 4 numbers were 7-7-7-9. The number 777 has been known to represent God and Heaven, while the number 666 represents the opposite.

Are these coincidences meaningful? Debatable. Are they strange? Definitely.

38. Me says:

Just found this artcle regarding the 666 coincidences:

39. allison says:

Like many others who have posted in response to this video, I have experienced the same thing with my friends, coworkers, and acquaintances. Whose fault is it? While I agree that the media should have been a little less left-inclined, I believe it is the responsibility of the voters. After all, THEY are the ones who are responsible for electing someone into the highest position in our country to lead them. It’s unfortunate that so many citizens of this country are ignorant to its laws and positions, and too lazy to do any outside research, and that they are the ones who can determine a leader for everyone. It is not, however, the media’s responsibility to encourage people to do their homework. The MSM’s sole responsibility is to make a profit, and once people start understanding that, only then will they do their own research and make educated decisions.

40. Plumb Bob says:

The Republican party bears full and complete responsibility for the response to one question:

There is no excuse on God’s green earth why anybody should have the slightest doubt who’s in charge of Congress. That change occurred two years ago. The Republicans have absolutely and completely failed to signal the change — and as a result, that immense negative rating for Congress is getting assigned in the minds of voters to the Republican party.

Everything else we can blame on the press, but that one is nobody’s fault but our own.

41. CMHatem says:

To be completely fair, this information needs to be compared against a similar number of “republicans” or conservatives that voted for McCain/Palin need to be asked questions that m ight show their ignorance re: Obama and the current legislature.

I’m guessing 2% is a fair number of people who are actually informed in this country.

CMHatem,
    Yeah I totally agree. This goes both ways. The average American(from both parties) is not that informed.