One Week to Go

Right now, I am busy with something for which I can never take credit, but trust me that those of you on the political right would be extremely pleased if you knew what it was. Perhaps, in a week or so, you’ll see it — but my name will be nowhere to be found.

In the meantime, this is as good a time as any to remind your friends and neighbors that Election Day is only a week away, and that this may be the single most important election in a generation. The American economy is teetering on the edge, enemies abroad are gathering strength, enemies within are whittling away at our freedoms, and the two choices in this presidential election could not be more different.

Here’s a great piece on one of those choices by Mark Levin. Please read it, share it, and enjoy.

Now, forgive me, but I need to get back to work.

– Jeff

The Obama Temptation
By Mark Levin, National Review

I’ve been thinking this for a while so I might as well air it here. I honestly never thought we’d see such a thing in our country – not yet anyway – but I sense what’s occurring in this election is a recklessness and abandonment of rationality that has preceded the voluntary surrender of liberty and security in other places. I can’t help but observe that even some conservatives are caught in the moment as their attempts at explaining their support for Barack Obama are unpersuasive and even illogical. And the pull appears to be rather strong. Ken Adelman, Doug Kmiec, and others, reach for the usual platitudes in explaining themselves but are utterly incoherent. Even non-conservatives with significant public policy and real world experiences, such as Colin Powell and Charles Fried, find Obama alluring but can’t explain themselves in an intelligent way.

There is a cult-like atmosphere around Barack Obama, which his campaign has carefully and successfully fabricated, which concerns me. The messiah complex. Fainting audience members at rallies. Special Obama flags and an Obama presidential seal. A graphic with the portrayal of the globe and Obama’s name on it, which adorns everything from Obama’s plane to his street literature. Young school children singing songs praising Obama. Teenagers wearing camouflage outfits and marching in military order chanting Obama’s name and the professions he is going to open to them. An Obama world tour, culminating in a speech in Berlin where Obama proclaims we are all citizens of the world. I dare say, this is ominous stuff.

Even the media are drawn to the allure that is Obama. Yes, the media are liberal. Even so, it is obvious that this election is different. The media are open and brazen in their attempts to influence the outcome of this election. I’ve never seen anything like it. Virtually all evidence of Obama’s past influences and radicalism — from Jeremiah Wright to William Ayers — have been raised by non-traditional news sources. The media’s role has been to ignore it as long as possible, then mention it if they must, and finally dismiss it and those who raise it in the first place. It’s as if the media use the Obama campaign’s talking points — its preposterous assertions that Obama didn’t hear Wright from the pulpit railing about black liberation, whites, Jews, etc., that Obama had no idea Ayers was a domestic terrorist despite their close political, social, and working relationship, etc. — to protect Obama from legitimate and routine scrutiny. And because journalists have also become commentators, it is hard to miss their almost uniform admiration for Obama and excitement about an Obama presidency. So in the tank are the media for Obama that for months we’ve read news stories and opinion pieces insisting that if Obama is not elected president it will be due to white racism. And, of course, while experience is crucial in assessing Sarah Palin’s qualifications for vice president, no such standard is applied to Obama’s qualifications for president. (No longer is it acceptable to minimize the work of a community organizer.) Charles Gibson and Katie Couric sought to humiliate Palin. They would never and have never tried such an approach with Obama.

But beyond the elites and the media, my greatest concern is whether this election will show a majority of the voters susceptible to the appeal of a charismatic demagogue. This may seem a harsh term to some, and no doubt will to Obama supporters, but it is a perfectly appropriate characterization. Obama’s entire campaign is built on class warfare and human envy. The “change” he peddles is not new. We’ve seen it before. It is change that diminishes individual liberty for the soft authoritarianism of socialism. It is a populist appeal that disguises government mandated wealth redistribution as tax cuts for the middle class, falsely blames capitalism for the social policies and government corruption (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac) that led to the current turmoil in our financial markets, fuels contempt for commerce and trade by stigmatizing those who run successful small and large businesses, and exploits human imperfection as a justification for a massive expansion of centralized government. Obama’s appeal to the middle class is an appeal to the “the proletariat,” as an infamous philosopher once described it, about which a mythology has been created. Rather than pursue the American Dream, he insists that the American Dream has arbitrary limits, limits Obama would set for the rest of us — today it’s $250,000 for businesses and even less for individuals. If the individual dares to succeed beyond the limits set by Obama, he is punished for he’s now officially “rich.” The value of his physical and intellectual labor must be confiscated in greater amounts for the good of the proletariat (the middle class). And so it is that the middle class, the birth-child of capitalism, is both celebrated and enslaved — for its own good and the greater good. The “hope” Obama represents, therefore, is not hope at all. It is the misery of his utopianism imposed on the individual.

Unlike past Democrat presidential candidates, Obama is a hardened ideologue. He’s not interested in playing around the edges. He seeks “fundamental change,” i.e., to remake society. And if the Democrats control Congress with super-majorities led by Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, he will get much of what he demands.

The question is whether enough Americans understand what’s at stake in this election and, if they do, whether they care. Is the allure of a charismatic demagogue so strong that the usually sober American people are willing to risk an Obama presidency? After all, it ensnared Adelman, Kmiec, Powell, Fried, and numerous others. And while America will certainly survive, it will do so, in many respects, as a different place.

Comments

Jeff, I appreciate you doing work on a sex offender issue, however, the issue at hand, the issue with a definitive expiration date is this election! No offense, but we need everyone to focus on how to get the word out. It sounds like you have trown in the towel on this. Why haven’t you updated us, as you once did, after conversing with Berg? Can you ask him when the API tape will be released? How about the Kenyan grandmother tape? I know I sound ‘testy’ but this is the Constitution we are talking about! You are the one with the connections to get the answers to these questions. I have done all I can as the average citizen, and am still working, but we need an answer to the two tapes questions!

2. bluewater says:

Keep calling the LA Times about the video of Obama toasting Khalidi (Palestinian Jew-hater) at a function with Ayers and other trouble makers. They are refusing to release it! I have called several times myself. If that was McCain, it would be on every network!
    LA Times: 1-800-528-4637

3. Matt says:

Obama is looking at raising the Social Security tax also.

At least, thats what he said to AARP…

4. John Galt says:

Conservatives just don’t get it.

Let me spell out it out plain and simple

1. Obama controls the media!!!
    2. After he is elected he will replace up to 5 Supreme Court Justices and control the Supreme Court
    3. Without the next two years he will have replaced all of the high ranking right wing generals in our arm forces and replaced them with people loyal to him.

To control a country all you need do is

1. Control the media
    2. Control the courts
    3. Control the military

Sorry folks but it is going to be lights out communist dictatorship served up to America.

The golden age of America will offically end next Tuesday Nov 4, 2008 about 225 years after the signing of the Constitution and the rest of the world will be standing and cheering.

“…but trust me that those of you on the political right would be extremely pleased if you knew what it was..”

Bummer, only the ‘Political Right’ will be pleased.

I guess it has nothing to do with Obama, so for us ‘Anti-Obama’ folks (politically left or center) won’t necessarily be pleased. :(

another Anon said:

“and any who fight for their lives and survive are “blessed” to be dropped in soiled linen bags to die a horrible, neglected death WITHIN our health institutions….to “bless” the corrupting of marriages and families and force immoral laws upon moral professionals et al is simply diabolical…yes, diabolical forces are now using the hysteria, psychopathic personalities, and duped weaknesses now trained in our culture. We’ve allowed so much immorality and corruption to go unpunished that the disobedience that began in the sixties has now come to its culmination. “

This has been the communists’ plan the whole time. It’s them not some weird thing going on just now.

Ok people, here’s a clue…when something comes up in the news next time that WE KNOW is against the constitution….are going to let it fester like a boil on satan’s butt before we actually speak out and try to do anything about it? Or are we going to rip into the bastards like we should have all along? Like the generation of our grand and great-grand parents did.

That’s when men were men. Not these little assholes that go to women’s rallies just to get laid.

I think we’ve rediscovered our spine!

Let’s use it! Let’s fight for our country!

We ahve men and women that we appreciate for fighting in uniform to save our freedom.

Now here we are in homeland position and we HAVE TO fight for them now!!

Vote McCain or we will have to fight Ayers and his little bastards. We do and will anyway but it will be a lot easier if the Communist Party’s Obama-Bitch doesn’t have power at all.

“Anonymous said – On a side note, yesterday afternoon Bill O’Reilly announced that they’re working on something that will come out this week that will be huge – but he couldn’t say what it was yet because they were still confirming it. Any idea what that might be?

Might I ask you where did O’Reilly say that? Was it his radio show?”

Yes, it was yesterday afternoon 10/27/08 between 5-5:30pm central time on “The No Spin Zone” on the radio. I only get to listen to it for a short time, so I didn’t hear anymore about it.

Courtney

I just want to thank you for all you have done and continue to do. My gratitude is only surpassed by my concern for our country if reason doesn’t win the day on Nov. 4th.

-Portia E

Thanks, Jeff! I agree.
    Sursum Corda.
    Kenfollis@juno.com

It will be interesting to hear what Bill O’Reilly has to share. Will it be before or after Wednesday night’s 30-minute “O” infomercial / attempted indoctrination?

Everyday I witness things happening that makes me feel like I am in a world where people really are hypnotized and truly do not hear or see things that would make them think less of Obama. I keep thinking they will snap out of it. How can they not see him for what he is? It is so obvious. I just don’[t get it. My good friend said to me, ‘There is absolutely nothing you can tell me that will make me change my mind.’ I’ll say, ‘What about the fact that he voted to let babies born alive, die from neglect?’ She’ll come back with some ridiculous argument like, “Well,Palin spent $150,000 on clothes!” I just stand there in disbelief. I feel like I am in a bad Twighlight Zone episode.

I am beginning to feel like there is no hope. I cry every day that my children will not know America like I did.

With all the money from the Arabs and the Communists that he has access to, plus the well planned voter fraud, I don’t see how he can lose.

He is mental and I really fear we are going to be repeating the history of Germany.

What I can’t understand is that surely the Republicans see this but they just seem willig to lay down and let him have it. Even they are not trying to save us.

And if we just left the country, where would we go? I am very fearful of the future.

Some of you were talking about Saul Alinsky and his book, Rules for Radicals.

How about his dedication:
    Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history (and who is to know where mythology leaves off and history begins — and which is which), the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom — Lucifer.

Sorry – but that scares me, and it’s not even Halloween or Election Day!