Swirling Rumors Surrounding Purported Admissions by Michelle Obama Require Scrutiny

Right now, there are some Internet rumors swirling that Michelle Obama has admitted to her husband’s dual citizenship. I first became aware of it because of a post at the TexasDarlin blog, a resource that has done some decent work on Philip Berg’s lawsuit against Barack Obama.

According to an article at African Press International, Michelle Obama called them to clear the air about any questions regarding her husband’s citizenship and eligibility to be president of the United States.

When I first read the entry on the TexasDarlin site, I was well aware of Michelle Obama’s propensity for sticking her foot in her mouth, and the official-sounding nature of “African Press International,”–which kind of sounds like “Agence France-Presse” or “United Press International”–admittedly had be intrigued.

Once I followed the link to the source, however, I had no doubt that something just wasn’t right. When I finished reading the piece, my feelings became clear:

I think we need to tread very, very carefully here.

It just didn’t smell right to me. The timing was all wrong, the statements too convenient, the article in question poorly written. While I am the first one–for obvious reasons–to argue for more credence and for the benefit of the doubt to be given to Internet news and opinion bloggers, this rubbed me the wrong way for a number of reasons.

• First, the article claims that Michelle Obama called them. Now, I know NOTHING about the credentials or reputation of the African Press International Web site, but I can read the somewhat disjointed writing style and DO know that with just three weeks to go in the election, Michelle Obama is on an extremely tight leash. Every single second of her interaction with the media–any sort of media–is under the most strict of scrutiny by her husband’s handlers. Somehow, I doubt she’d take it upon herself to call Katie Couric, nonetheless African Press International.
  • Second, the style of the quotes attributed to Mrs. Obama seems identical to the writing style of the surrounding prose. Michelle Obama is, despite all of her faults, a very intelligent woman who can certainly turn a phrase and, while she may not be able to spit out the soaring rhetoric that her husband can, she is certainly better spoken than what is written on the African Press International Web site.
  • Finally, the content of the quotes attributed to Mrs. Obama seemed a little much at this point in the election, even for the woman who has a history of keeping her mouth open for a little too long. I cannot for the life of me imagine that she would say the words “American white racists” to anybody who could possibly publish such words with her husband so close to taking the presidency. Furthermore, she is law-trained, and should be well aware of the consequences should her husband be proven to lack U.S. citizenship.

Listen, this Berg v. Obama suit is extremely interesting and, should Berg prevail, the consequences would be absolutely incomprehensible. I understand the enthusiasm. This whole thing, however, just doesn’t sit right with me — and we need to be careful to not jump blindly into believing something that just doesn’t add up. Perpetuating this sort of nonsense, provided that’s what it turns out to be, only hurts the credibility of those like Jerome Corsi and Philip Berg.

I know I risk a lot by coming out on a limb and expressing my skepticism toward this latest claim, but I just cannot believe that it is authentic. If I am wrong on this–and I most certainly believe that I am not–I will gladly own up to it, but it just doesn’t sit right with me.

Feel free to agree, disagree, or whatever. At this point I’m going by gut feeling, and while my gut is ample, it’s been known to be wrong on occasion.

UPDATE:

A little after midnight, I had an extensive conversation with Philip Berg about the African Press International piece, most of which was off-the-record. While he did not downplay the article, he said that its contents were under “cautious consideration” and planned to take steps to independently verify the statements from Michelle Obama purported to have been made to the organization. If the statements were indeed truly said and can be verified as such by audiotape or the like, Berg said that they were devastating for the Illinois senator’s cause in the lawsuit currently pending in federal court in Philadelphia.

“If she did say these things, and listen, I can’t say whether or not these statements were made up, then it solidifies the arguments I’ve been making for months now,” Berg said, acknowledging that the African Press International article was suspect. “If these statements turn out to be valid, then she admitted that he truly was adopted by his stepfather in Indonesia and therefore cannot be eligible for the presidency.”

Personally, I still don’t buy it. It just doesn’t add up. If Gov. Sarah Palin’s daughter wanted to vent to someone in the media, would she call the people at The Daily Kos?

Think about it. The media is about as friendly to Barack Obama and his candidacy as they could be toward a presidential candidate and campaign without the need for a prophylactic, and still Michelle Obama is being physically prevented from even talking with Katie Couric, the friendliest of the friendlies. Why in the world would she call a fly-by-night Web site like African Press International, which has been very unfriendly toward her husband, and expect any sort of journalistic integrity? Why would she say the things she purportedly said?

It just doesn’t add up, people. It just doesn’t add up.

Comments

1. Jet says:

Did you see African Press International’s contact information? From their home page:

African Press International Headquarters is based in Norway.
    African Press International will have five branch offices spread as follows: East, Central, West, Southern Africa and one in the United Kingdom
    API has 19 News Corresspondents and keeps recruiting more.
    To contact API use the following possibilities:
    africanpress@getmail.no
    Telephone in Norway: +4793299739
    Telephone in the UK: +442032868641

If you go through their site, it looks like they devote themselves to African centric news and events.

2. ComOB says:

Man you are quick on all this stuff! I am also working on a graduate degree (Computer Science) and I can’t begin to understand how you keep up with all of this.

At any rate, I am glad you jumped on this article. It just came through my newsreader, and I just about fell out of my chair. I too, have a tremendous amount of skepticism. I just can’t believe that Michelle Obama would step in it so ignorantly. I know anything is possible, but this is a tall tale that is a bit difficult for me to readily accept.

Keep up the great work!

3. Jeff Schreiber says:

I know, Jet.

The writing style, though, seems just a little too budget for a news outlet serious enough to warrant a phone call from Michelle Obama. Could it be that the prose has come through a translation program and perhaps that’s why the language sounds like something which might come from Borat?

Call me arrogant, call me what you want — it’s just not smelling right.

“Mrs Obama asked API to write a good story about her husband and that will earn API an invitation to the innoguration ceremony when, as she put it , her husband will be installed as the next President of the United States of America next year.

Come on, really?!? First of all, inauguration is spelled wrong. Secondly, the whole quote doesn’t just strike you as a little odd? Michelle asked them to “write a good story” for her husband?

It just doesn’t seem right to me, that’s all. I’ve spent too much time working for newspapers, wire services and media relations types to see how this could possibly be authentic.

Time will tell, though, and I certainly HOPE that I’m wrong on this.

– Jeff

4. Jeff Schreiber says:

I was studying when this was pointed out to me, and I wanted to jump on it as quickly as possible so as to defuse this thing before it goes any further.

It just smells bad, and circulating this sort of stuff–if proven to be fake–only hits against Phil Berg’s credibility.

5. Goldie says:

I visit this site often. I need to read this one. I’m wondering since a lot of Americans post on it if they’re messing with us.

6. Koyaan says:

jeff schreiber wrote:

Yeah.

And check out the “Most read topics!” there.

I think Michelle would be about as likely to call these people as she would call TexasDarlin or Free Republic.

k

7. Simonetta Vespucci says:

You are correct Jeff….

very strange.. uh huh.

8. PatGund@gmail.com says:

I got the same feeling from it that I got from the supposed emails Corsi brought back – something wasn’t passing the sniff test.

It seems way too low budget a news site, and a quick google shows a couple reports of made up information to boot.

The items they claim that Michelle Obama said doesn’t sound like her either. The clearest example being the comment that said “even if my husband was able to prove that he is not a Muslim, he will not be believed by those who have come out strongly to destroy his chances of being the next President. Do real people expect someone to deny a religion when 80 percent of his relatives are Muslims? That flat out sounds less like something Michelle Obama would say and more of an anti-Obama talking point. Even if one disagreed with her, you would expect her to “stay on point” a LOT better…

Like I said, something doesn’t pass the sniff test.

9. Goldie says:

Ok! You savvy guys and gals take a stab at it! I did the view Source and found this. If you can find out anything about these people, good luck! This from the "questionable" article. Sounds contrived to me! I'm going to try. I don't have media connections or anything. You guys may have much more luck than me.

"author" content="Ainslie Johnson / Original design by Andreas Viklund – http://andreasviklund.com" />

10. Koyaan says:

jeff schreiber wrote:

First of all, inauguration is spelled wrong.

Well to be fair, this supposedly what she said in a telephone call. ;)

k

Jeff. You say in your article that you "hope that Michelle did just indeed infinitely strengthen Philip Berg's case"

I concur with your skepticism on the report. However, if it's true, I think it "helps" a lot with the argument that the Obamas are playing the race card, that Obama could be a "Manchurian Candidate," and similar arguments.

But, even if Obama was adopted by Soetoro, he remained a US citizen under Immigration & Nationality Act of 1952 sections 349 and 355, at least according to this report. How does Mr. Berg get around that?

12. Guesswhat says:

“Sounds fishy to me too”!!
    Jeff, have you seen this report?
    Any truth to it?

Obama’s birth stirs legal action in Washington

Posted at 4:48 pm by Jerry Cornfield

Was Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama really born in this country?

His critics and his foes have spent a good deal of time raising doubt and spreading rumors that he’s not.

Today, Steve Marquis of Fall City
    filed a lawsuit in King County Superior Court directing Secretary of State Sam Reed to get the proof – or remove Obama’s name from ballots.

Here is his press release.

He argues in a 30-page document:

“To avert likely civil unrest and a constitutional crisis…this complaint seeks to resolve such complaints prior to the election. It was incumbent on the candidates to present such documentation, but to date Mr. Obama has failed to do so.

Obama sought to put down this pesty rumor when he posted a picture of his birth certificate online here.

The respected FactCheck.org run by the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania examined the document and concluded here that there’s no doubt he was born in Hawaii in 1961.

Reed forwarded the matter to the Attorney General’s Office. Ballots are still slated to be mailed this week.

Who is Marquis?

In his words, from his Web site.

13. Goldie says:

WOW! Guesswhat, Fascinating development. MAN I hope it’s true!

A mention of some things about API. These people apparently publish anything! I noticed on the Michelle story, at the bottom of the purple writing on the left margin, that they give ME mention. One of my comments in a post there. Not news. Just me! Then I find this article with anti obama sentiment and the bottom has posted comments. The last one is the guy who wrote it! He states that he had NO idea he was on that site! Blogs that I’ve cruised were on there like big news stories so these people aren’t who you look to for credibility, but you have to check the source of who wrote it.

They DO have anti Obama all over the place. I’m ever so sure that the Michelle story was taken from somewhere else.

Here’s that story if you’re curious lol

I’m googling that Michelle story to see if it pops up anywhere else.

14. Jet says:

“Why would she say the things she purportedly said?”

Hubris, perhaps?

Jeff you really do work Quick!
    I left a comment on the API
    under Poppet, asking if they have a recording. I should have dilly dallied
    and been Humble with, “Your Most Kind Sir”, etc. lol
    It would be funny if they do have a recording.

Plus:
    Now we are getting somewhere.
    Finally, after Phil Berg was aired on Fox News Toledo

There are Lawsuit’s popping out of the woodwork!
    A lot of them will probably concentrate on
    Senator Feinstein, and each Secretary of State’s.

I found this posted today against Sam Reed.
    Look at the Lawsuit 10/10 by Mr. Marquis

Dan Smith

Is this Reed story for real?

17. Goldie says:

I searched till I’m cross eyed and have only found the exact same thing on all the blogs. This got around like hell fire!

People are livid and the best of all they’re ALL talking about the Berg case!! ;) Even on Fox News comments!

Question , what are people on the blogs talking about Obama having till 15th to produce Documents for judge in Berg vs. Obama unless I missed it I did not read anything about that in the Motions.

19. Jet says:

World Net Daily is also reporting on this article, although they are concentrating primarily on Michelle's alleged disparaging comments about Corsi's misadventure in Kenya.

20. vrajavala says:

Indonesia does not recognize dual citizenship. so he lost his citizenship as an american. Also he traveled to Pakistan when he was 20, when Pakistan was on the “no-travel” list for the US.
    Check this out from American Expat in Indonesia: the actual title of Barack Obama’s book has been changed in the Indonesian translation. Apparently, the correct translation of the title of Obama’s book would have been “Keberanian Harapan: Pemikiran Untuk Meraih Kembali Impian America” which translates into “Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming The American Dream”.

However, the title that was selected by the author/publisher/translator? for the Indonesian translation of Barack Obama’s book is “Menerjang Harapan: Dari Jakarta Menuju Gedung Putih” which translates into “Assault Hope (Jihad): From Jakarta to the White House”. Now I would imagine that any changes to the intellectual content of Obama’s book would have to have his permission.

The original book, of course, was published in 10/2006, and the Indonesian translation came out in January 2007. There was a major discussion by An American Expat in Southeast Asia as to what were the intentions of the author/publisher/translator? in selecting this altered title.
    Some commentators to his blog seemed to favor the understanding that the title’s changes are merely a marketing ploy. Indonesian commentators had several opinions ranging from stating that the word “jihad” is not an Indonesian word at all, and that the selected title did not evoke violent imagery.
    I thought like you Jeff, but then I also thought that Michelle and Barry are a lot more scared about the Berg case than they let on. and, somehow, I think Michelle could possibly think that she could, at this point, just play on people’s emotions. Like saying my husband is so patriotic and loves this country.
    But, yes, hopefully there will be an tape of the phone call.
    I did post a comment on the blog and it is moderated, and the staff on the API site must be African Expats for a reason.
    Possibly, even Michelle wasn’t entirely aware of the extent of her husband’s ties with Odingo and that is what Jeerome corsi is going to reveal. It’s quite hideous.
    She’s not that bright.

21. John Kesoglou says:

Star Wars Return of the Jedi – Admaral Akbar quoted in saying “It’s a trap!!” as the Death Star fires its first volley against the rebel fleet.

As i was reading your blog Jeff i can only think of that quote. i know corny but fun.

keep up the good work, i religiously ahve been following your blog since August 23rd.

John

22. Donna B. says:

Jeff, I agree with you that the quotes attributed to Michelle Obama don’t sound like her at all. She’s much too intelligent to make some of the remarks in the article.

He also had an Indonesian passport – isn’t that something restricted to citizens? Can a non-citizen who is a legal resident get a passport from the country of residence? I don’t know a lot about passports, but my friends who are citizens of the UK and France and the Netherlands still travel on their passports from their home countries. None of them have an American passport. So wouldn’t the Indonesian passport indicate actual citizenship? And we know that Obama continued to travel on that Indonesian passport into his 20s, long after returning to the US.

This is very likey a bunch of junk. I wouldn’t be surprised if it were meant to be ‘bait’ to make the entire issue look silly. I seriously recommend we all ignore this.

This has surely spread quickly…

however without audio recordings and voice analysis that confirms it actually is Michelle speaking she should be regarded innocent until proven otherwise.

I mean how can we know for sure if it was her on the phone?

Broken english is common in other countries. Why not misspellings? I think Michelle is trying to get ahead of the game because she knows the story is going national.

26. Jerome says:

Well if this story helps to get MSM attention onto the Berg lawsuit then maybe it will do some good. We can use a firestorm right now.

I am hopeful that we will hear from the court today. On one of the Berg on the radio shows. It might have been toledo. I think he said that Obama is due in court today. Not sure of exactly his wording but I think at least another filing might happen. But of course I could be all wrong here. I just keep hoping the Judge will make a solid decision to proceed with the case.

Jeff do you know if they will be in court today.

I like the idea of 50 lawsuits in all 50 states to block his name from the ballot. That will get some attention. Where are all the lawyers in America. I thought we had lots of lawyers. This is a good way to show your patriotism for America. Get off your chair and file a lawsuit in your state. I am sure the lawyers in other states will assist you on what they are filing or allow you to file the same.

Keep America Strong. NO FOREIGNERS as President. UPHOLD the CONSTITUTION.

It doesn’t matter if there is any truth to this or not, the Obama campaign will say it is false. Either they have a recording, or that’s the end of the story. I’m guessing the later in which case we should be moving on to more fertile fields.

28. Phil says:

For me, I think that the DNC and Obama & Co. all know that his citizenship is something that requires copious amounts of attention to squash, and squash quickly.

The movie Pearl Harbor has a scene in which the intelligence guy (played by Dan Aykroyd (sp?)) gets the ticker tape from the teletypes whereby the Japanese are sending all sorts of junk across the lines. I'm wondering if this isn't the same type of thing.

I also don't think that Obama has the same kind of "good ol' boy network" that Bill Clinton has with respect to doing a clean job of getting other folks to do his dirty work (this looks very sloppy to me).

However, I do think that this article is meant as a disinformation leak meant to draw people out to find out what people know.

Further, like Clinton's people, Obama's people — as "messy" as they've been — do play for keeps. If they have the ability, they're going to squash stuff.

Therefore, I think Jeff is right, and based on Jeff's update to this article, I think both Jeff and Philip are taking the right approach: Wait. And watch. This type of jibber-jabber isn't going to be released for no reason (whether the intentions are officially backed by Obama or not). Michelle O has been constrained for a reason.

Besides, the real ace in the whole is the Berg v. Obama lawsuit. That's official. That's transparent. That's for real.

-Phil

29. Jet says:

This is their response that they posted to the end of the article:

ADDED HERE BELOW DUE TO HUGE INTEREST ON THE ABOVE STORY. (TIME 16:08 Scandinavian time)

Verification of the story:
    We have found it necessary to publish a telephone number that can be used to reach us should anyone doubt the story. We are doing this because of many requests by many people who want to know more abouth the story.

We are able to receive calls tomorrow the 16th of October through to the 18th October. We find it important that our readers get the truth and not be misled in any way. This is a true story and we stand by everyone written.

NB: For verification, we can be reached on 004793299739

Jeff-

Are you going to call API to vet this?

Verification of the story:

NB: For verification, we can be reached on 004793299739

31. John Galt says:

The god of Political Correctness has replaced the god of Money in America.

It really doesn’t matter at this point if Obama is in fact not a U.S. citizen or even if it is proven that he is not a U.S. citizen.

The first commandment of the god of Political Correctness is.

1. Truth matters not only that which the MSM publishes.

Berg will not win his lawsuit becaue the majority of Americans have bowed to the god of Political Correctness and have no stomach for race riots which would ensue if Obama were prevented from becoming the next U.S. President.

this wreaks of astroturfing propaganda seeding by the opposing party. Tread cautiously.

33. TypewriterStreaming says:

I don’t buy it either Jeff. It’s a creative writing exercise probably planted by the Obama campaign to make us look like dopes.

I noticed that Berg commented on the API site. Do you know if he vetted the story by calling the number that API provided for verification?

See Comment #49

The API article (http://africanpress.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/shocking-development-mrs-obama-decides-enough-is-enough-my-husband-was-born-in-hawaii-and-adopted-by-his-step-father-does-that-make-him-unpatriotic-she-asks-on-a-direct-telephone-to-api/) has been amended with the following:

Published by African Press International – API

——————————

Verification of the story:

NB: For verification, we can be reached on 004793299739

36. willem says:

One way to damage the potential credence of your opposition is to plant entirely bogus derogatory information about yourself and trick the opposition into using it. That is likely what is going on here. I am surprised more cranks have not been marched out by the Obama camp to “muddy the developing meme” with bogus tin foil hat paranoia. Perhaps that is what’s next.

One thing on the Norway source, it would be interesting to know its Islamic affiliation, as there is a “5th Column” presence in the Scandinavian countries, with many african islamists.

If the article proves correct, the singular voice may be an artifact of the person translating. Likely there’s no way of knowing what was the original language of the first version of the reported interview. If different than english, someone would have to translate it back, which also opens windows for error in content.

Thanks again Jeff. You are giving a clinic on ethical, faithful and honest reporting. How much better American life would be if the rest only used half the stewardship you have shown here.

37. PatGund@gmail.com says:

Donna B. – “As for Obama remaining a US citizen even if he was adopted by Lolo Soetoro ….. it’s my understanding that Indonesia does not allow their citizens to hold dual citizenships. In order for Obama and his mother to become citizens of Indonesia, their American citizenships had to be given up. If this is in fact true, then Obama would have had to take an oath of allegiance and be naturalized to regain his US citizenship. “

The flaw in this arguement is that according to US law, the person has to renounce their US citizenship to counselor officials – there’s a lot of “do you want to do this, are you sure you want to do this” steps. Even then, they usually will give you a single “oops, I messed up, I want my US citizenship back” card if you change your mind.

And also, US law states that a minor cannot lose their citizenship unless they renounce it AFTER they become an adult.

While there’s a few claims that Stanley Ann Durham lost her US citizenship when she married Lolo Soetoro, there’s no evidence from either the US government or the Indonesian governments that she went though the process to renounce her US citizenship or that she formally took Indonesian citizenship. Nor is there any evidence of a US-recognized adoption by Lolo Soetoro.

Jerome, I agree that it would be great to have “50 lawsuits in all 50 states to block his name from the ballot.”

Unfortunately, it’s much too late for that. Even in Washington state, where the Marquis v. Reed case was filed, ballots have already gone out with Obama’s name. And a number of states have already begun early voting.

So, either Obama people had this written to take some of the shock out of Berg's case (hopefully) being given the go ahead or
    considering Michelle's thesis, temper, etc.

Maybe it's just me, but Michelle reminds me an awful lot of Congresswoman and Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus – Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick. Both have a chip on their shoulder and can lose their polished prose when they feel threatened. Here's a video example from Kilpatrick taking up for her son – *former* Mayor that was forced to not only quit, but to serve prison time.

40. FAR says:

It doesn’t take a lawsuit. Just contact your state’s Secy of State as a citizen and ask him/her what was done to verify Obama’s eligibility.

THen the lawsuit can come if the Secy. of State didn’t do an adequate job of verifying.

Technically, I guess there’s nothing that says an ineligible person can’t RUN for president. He/she just can’t be sworn in.

So then the question is, why would the DNC let someone ineligible run?

So Obama may not be breaking a law by running — just being VERY deceptive in portraying himself as someone who could be inaugurated!!

****
    Aside from question of whether Obama was natural born (for presidency), where he may have violated the law is in being Senator from Illinois. You don’t have to be natural born to be Senator, but you do have to be a citizen, and Berg suit alleges that Obama never re-claimed US citizenship after he was an Indonesian.

So the country may be on the verge of electing in illegal alien!

Truth is often more bizarre than fiction!!

There is only one argument that stands up in the Obama birth certificate debate. That is he was sued in Federal Court and he has refused to provide a document that will clear all of this up and put it to rest once and for all, his birth certificate. Anyone who was not a total fraud would file this immediately and end the controversy once and for all. But obviously Obama can’t do this because he would be committing a fraud upon the court. There is no other possible explanation. He is trying to run out the clock until the general election, hoping he will win. Unseating a President elect will be much more difficult, and he knows it. The blacks will run riot!