So, he’s running for Hypocrite-in-Chief now?

For anybody who expects me to shill for a certain political candidate here on the pages of America’s Right, you are mistaken. I am a conservative, not a Republican. I am guided by principle, not politics, and will give credit where credit is due and strenuously voice my concerns where needed.

In this case, my interests were betrayed, and done so in an overt manner.

For the life of me, I cannot imagine how Sen. John McCain could have voted for that bailout bill last night. Forget, for a moment, that the bill as it stood could very well have meant the beginning of the end of capitalism in America. Forget, for a moment, that the bill as it stood saddled you and me and everyone else for the egregious, self-serving mistakes made by those on Wall Street and the disgusting, meddling ways of those on Capitol Hill. Forget, for a moment, that less time was spent debating this debacle than was spent focusing on Rafael Palmeiro, Roger Clemens, and the Mitchell Report’s indictment of Major League Baseball.

The goddamn bill–all 453 pages of it–was riddled with earmarks and bailout-irrelevant “tax extenders”. Despite being a hastily-crafted bad idea to begin with, the novel-sized legislation contained provisions for film and television productions (Section 502), wooden arrows designed for use by children (Section 503), rum from Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands (Section 308), mine rescue teams and safety equipment (Sections 310-11), wool research (Section 325), NASCAR racing tracks (Section 317), and six pages of earmarks for litigants in the 1989 Exxon Valdez incident (Section 504).

What happened to the man who swore that, if elected president, he would “veto every bill with pork in it … and make the authors famous” in an attempt to rein in reckless congressional spending? What happened to the man who, during the last presidential debate, couldn’t stop talking about earmarks and spending when the issue at hand was the congressional malfeasance that put us in this economic crisis in the first place?

You know, McCain’s candidacy was a bitter pill for me to swallow. His tendency to sprint leftward when spooked really gets on my nerves. His middle-finger-salute to the First Amendment by authoring the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act (McCain-Feingold) changed the political landscape for the worse. His construction and unequivocal support for the last hastily-crafted bipartisan masterpiece, the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act, spit in the face of every hard-working American citizen who values their economic security almost as much as their national security and sovereignty as a whole. The one issue where McCain always stood out has been earmarks. Now, however, he not only voted for a bill that he shouldn’t have, but he voted for it even though it was riddled with the very measures that he so vocally rails against out on the stump. I know that Charlie broke John McCain’s legs and ravaged his shoulders–and I am forever in his debt for making such sacrifices–but, on this particular issue, it looks as though Washington has removed his spine.

At least Barack Obama can plead ignorance, indecision or even ideology. What the hell is John McCain’s excuse?

Call your representatives today, Democrat or Republican (find their numbers HERE). If they voted FOR the House Bill on Monday, gently remind them that the election is four short weeks away; if they voted AGAINST it, ask them to stand firm … and gently remind them that the election is four short weeks away.

This whole bill, as it stands now, is absolutely disgusting. Fred Thompson has said that “the true test of a democracy is when you discover that you have the keys to your treasury,” I say we exercise our increasingly limited influence to the best of our ability to show our elected representatives, people who work for US, that there are consequences to pissing away our freedom and the future prosperity of our nation.

– Jeff

You know what? I’m not done.

I am so angry, I can taste it. Not only has John McCain completely abandoned his own principles, he has spit in the face of every conservative who has, so far, begrudgingly provided his or her support. If not the entire election, he has almost ensured Barack Obama a complete and total win on the economic issue, an issue which should be firmly in the wheelhouse of the Republican party because of the malfeasance and nonfeasance of the current majority.

For the most part, democrats caused this problem. The explanation of how we got to this point is simple enough that it could be feasibly condensed into a 30- or 60-second television commercial showing on one side Barney Frank, Christopher Dodd and others in 2004 defending the relaxed lending standards forced on banking institutions in the name of political correctness and “social engineering,” and on the other side John McCain warning about this exact problem back in 2005. The video is available. I’ve seen it. Heck, it’s on this Web site. This vote, however, brings out credibility problems should McCain want to make these arguments in an advertisement or in a debate.

His choice, besides being wrongheaded and running afoul of his principles, opened up several political problems. He had the chance to distinguish himself and appeal to his conservative base–the two “bumps” he’s enjoyed recently, remember, were (1) after he selected Sarah Palin, a conservative, as his VP and (2) after he thrilled so many by showing his conservative values at the Saddleback forum–and he went out of his way not to do so.

He bungled his way through this debacle and come out looking like the boy-toy of spineless House Republicans and the right-hand man of President Bush, while on the other side, Obama looks as though he was above the fray.

Now, because he not only voted for this abomination of a bill but also voted for it knowing that it was riddled with pork, McCain not only surrenders to Obama any argument he makes for responsible spending, but also surrenders the opportunity to look straight into the camera and say, “America, I warned about the possibility that this could happen. Therefore, because Congress wanted to reward with taxpayer money those who continued with reckless fiscal behavior in the face of dire warnings from myself and others, and because Congress had the gall to fill this legislation with the very pork-barrel spending that I constantly fight against, I had no choice but to vote against its passage.”

This was a complete and total loss for John McCain. He further aligned himself with the Bush White House, walked straight into any number of arguments from his pull-no-punches opposition, essentially exonerated Democratic Party leadership for their role in this economic predicament, and managed to further disgruntle the conservative base in the process. As it turns out, his vote wasn’t needed — but he could have seen a significant bump in the polls for doing the right thing.

A maverick, see, is someone who relishes the opportunity to go against the grain if that is what is necessary to put America first. A maverick looks at efforts by spineless politicians, acting on behalf of the cameras instead of the country, and resolves to remain above it all. John McCain, on more occasions than I care to count, has said that “politicians promise to change Washington, but it is Washington that changes them.” I always thought he was looking to distinguish himself from the crowd which puts political expediency before doing right by America. This morning, it became apparent that he is no different.

Time and time again, 60 percent of the people in America have proven to consider themselves “conservative” or “somewhat conservative.“. McCain doesn’t need to run to the left, and by making the decision he made last night, John McCain chose not to speak to those people. He appeared to tear asunder his own principles on spending an earmarks and, in my opinion, he passed on a tremendous political opportunity.

We all know that the democrats are responsible for this mess. Much of America, however, does not. By voting as he did, McCain squandered an opportunity to expose this failed leadership from a position elevated by common sense and principle. To successfully make the case that the democrats–including Barack Obama–are responsible for our economic troubles and that he is the right person to lead America out of Her financial woes, he must distinguish himself from those who put us there. Last night, he failed to do so, and apparently steamrolled over many of his own principles and best characteristics in the process.

I want McCain elected on the fourth of November. This is why I am angry about what happened last night. I firmly believe that he took effective arguments for his candidacy out of play by voting as he did, and in doing so gave those responsible for this mess a ticket out of the spotlight.

ALSO:

I don’t know where this fits in, but take a look at this part of the bill. Something here doesn’t look right to me:

“Carbon Audit of the Tax Code:

The Secretary of the Treasury shall enter into an agreement with the National Academy of Sciences to undertake a comprehensive review of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to identify the types of and specific tax provisions that have the largest effects on carbon and other greenhouse gas emissions and to estimate the magnitude of those effects.”

Comments

1. ComOB says:

I think it is safe to say that America is entering a dark ages of sorts. We will all be serfs in a year or two; and until there are enough patriots to rise from the ashes we will left to tell stories of what America used to be to younger generations.

John McCain’s yes vote for this pig of a bill has just destroyed what little moral I had left.

And look at what the market is doing right now. The senate passed the bill and the market is still tanking. All indications suggest that the House will pass it too. So why is the market continuing to hemorrhage?

This bill will NOT fix the problem. This bill WILL make the problem WORSE. And in making the problem worse, we will become a socialist country and consign the Constitution to the ash heap of history, as Ronald Reagan once put it.

2. suek says:

Our lack of real choice in this election is appalling.

That said, I tend to blame the lawyers for some of this, and I fear that McCain is no lawyer. The problem is that we need lawyers to write the laws because if they don’t, they’ll twist them to their advantage and run roughshod over the rest of us. Non-lawyers don’t have the expertise to defend themselves. Secondly, I suspect he also doesn’t have the depth of economic background to really understand the circumstance that the doom merchants are predicting.

Assuming – which is never safe! – that we actually know the facts, I’ve read enough to think that we need to dump the bailout…kill the bill. Is there something that we haven’t been told that the Senators _have_ been told?

Still, with all the predictions of world disaster if this doesn’t pass, I can understand the decision if you don’t have anything to weigh against those predictions…

I disagree with you. Those are tax extenders… they don’t add cost to the bill, they are extending tax cuts to those cited in the bill.

McCain is not happy with the bill, but at least Acorn was taken out of there.

Please remember that this is not McCain’s bill. This bill is being forced down everyone’s throat and at least he got down in the dirt and removed much of the garbage.

The real problem here is that $100 Billion is at the sole discretion of the President. That means if Obama gets in… guest who will most likely get the money? ACORN.

So be mad at McCain all you want, but you are mad at the wrong group.
    It’s those idiots FRank and Dodd who need to be put in jail.

4. John Galt says:

Jeff:

Spoken like a true Libertarian.

Right now Atlas Shrugged “The Movie” is in an unknown state with Perelman’s departure. IMDb still lists the release date as sometime in 2009.

I think a lot more Americans might be soon enough be asking “Who Is John Galt”

It is time for the strike to be organized.

I’m not a libertarian. Excuse me for posting. Go ahead and get out your anger. Put those stupid pictures on there and go vote for Obama. I am not coming back to this website.

I also think it’s apalling that you are coming down on McCain but are looking for a handout in supporting this site. Isn’t this a contradiction?

I have to agree with Anonymous. I don’t see how McCain had any choice. I wish they all would have voted NO. But if the disaster that was predicated on Main Street happened and McCain voted against that bill, he’d have been the absolute dog. I think he was genuinely frightened by the doom threats of what was to happen to the little guy.
    And a question for you please on another note. I have seen it posted elsewhere that the Judge in the Berg case ordered Obama to produce his birth certificate. Is that correct?

Mccain did what he had to do. The bill was not “loaded” with pork though it did contain some and should not have. Many economists are for it and many are against it. Are you an economists or are you going on what someone else has said? Mccain did what he thought was the best thing. He is privy to more information about the state of the economy than we are. Your credibility is blown by your rant and that horrible picture you posted. I don’t trust this site anymore.

Whoa, did you just drink some Koolaid? Obama brought this mess and now you are mad at McCain. Where’s your common sense, buddy?

9. Jeff Schreiber says:

THE VOTE

Come ON, people.

This bill, as it stands, isn’t the right thing. Even if it were, the pork enclosed in it DIRECTLY contradicts everything that McCain stands for.

He did a disservice to his campaign for president of the United States by voting in favor of this bill, not only because everything is a little too hasty, but because of the pork it contains.

Of course, the democrats are still responsible for this mess. We know this, and I will continue to hammer it home. I just think that he was too quick to once again reach across the aisle here.

Conservative principles, my friends. He should stick with them.

I knew I would encounter some flak for writing what I did here, but it doesn’t matter. We go after Barack Obama–rightfully–for saying one thing and doing another … McCain just did the same thing, and he should be called on it. It’s a shame, though, that the other side will use the exact same argument that I put forth, while McCain will not only remain hesitant to take off the gloves and address the root cause of this problem, but may have handcuffed himself by voting this way as well.

MY HANDOUT

I had difficulty with that decision, but decided to go ahead with it because of encouragement from several people. This is not a subscription site, by any means, and just your presence here and involvement in the debate makes me happy and makes the time I put in worthwhile.

BERG CASE

What people are looking at is a PROPOSED ORDER, which was filed by Berg along with his Opposition and Brief. It’s a way to “assume the sale” and provide the judge with an easy way to rule in a certain direction. Nothing more.

Should anything come down today or tomorrow or anytime else — trust me, you’ll know about it. After the judge signs his order, the very next person to handle it has a direct connection to me.

Take down those terrible pics of McCain, Jeff. Your rant does NO ONE any good. The fault does not lie with McCain…

You are simply taking out your frustrations against him. I suggest you take down those terrible pics get it down before you lose more credibility.

11. callmike2 says:

Ahhh… the exuberance of youth. Let’s not lose sight of the goal here. Our goal is to get McCain/Palin elected. Why? Because we do not want Barack or Hillary appointing any federal judges. We don’t want Barack or Hillary leading us any farther to the left of liberal over to socialist or even to Marxist. They will, you know. I did the calculation. At $700 billion, we’ll each owe $2,333.33. What really ticks me off is that in 60 years I have never been on the receiving end of one of these handouts. I don’t ever get the tax rebates. I didn’t run up a debt I couldn’t handle and then let it foreclose or bankrupt. I don’t believe in those practices.
    I wrote my Representatives and Senators and asked them not to vote for these bills. Do I have a better plan? I like Dave Ramsey’s plan, but I haven’t heard many people mention it. Let’s make a pact. Let’s not mention Barack Obama’s name anymore…not in any context. Let’s ignore him like he ignores you and me. Maybe he’ll go away. McCain/Palin all the way!!! Now, dig in and quit whining!

12. Jeff Schreiber says:

Come on, people — look at how I’ve treated Barack Obama on this Web site. Look at the photos I’ve run. Contrary to my apparent “youth,” look at what I’ve said about his dangerous philosophy that the role of the judiciary is to “favor the weak against the strong.”

Of course, I’ll be voting for John McCain. Heck, I’ll be going door-to-door this month in support of him. However, it doesn’t mean that I need to agree with him every single time, and on this issue he and I couldn’t be further apart.

As for my credibility, think about it. I am a conservative, not a Republican. It saddens and frustrates me that he doesn’t share the views of so many conservatives, but he and Barack Obama are leagues apart on pretty much everything — of course I’m voting the GOP line.

Should McCain get elected, I will continue to be critical of what he does, when he goes wrong.

This is an example of that.

You honestly don’t find anything wrong with voting for this earmark-laden bill, completely in the public eye, when one of your top arguments for being elected president is responsible spending and earmark reform?

13. willem says:

Well. Nerves are getting a bit frayed around here. Let me cast my agreement with Jeff. McCain has compromised the one thing he had going for him, and sadly it may be fatal to his campaign. If this vote is his way of putting the country first, then he’d better do a yeoman’s job of explaining himself.

The US Senate should have never been freed of our founders requirement that each state’s legislature should elect the two senators from that state. They feared electing the senators from the state population at large for good reason. These self-worshiping psychopaths are in love with themselves and their fraudulent claim, to quote Ried, as being “the greatest legislative body known to the history of mankind.” What an unbearable, incredible crock of horseshit. There are a few sane one’s left, but the institution is septic; fetid with pathological narcissism. I pray the House finds the courage to bring the corruptors to their knees. This is not the end of the world as we know it, but the end of the world as THEY know it. It’s well earned and undeserving of rescue. The economy will march on without them and what is lost can be rebuilt. This is still a great nation and we will be the better for purging the postmodern vermin from our midst.

To fail to allow them reap what they have sown is to become their slaves. We have spawned a political class more corrupt than any in our history. We know this is True. As a people, we feel it in our bones as an aching sadness. Our “leaders” heads are not buried in the sand.. they are buried in our skin. This “crisis” is a golden opportunity to purge these ticks from our flesh. John McCain says he’s ready to lead. Time to put up of shut up, John. It seems to me he loves his beloved Senate more than he does the nation. He too needs a moment of Truth, as it appears he’s become what he hates.

14. Jeff Schreiber says:

I did remove one photo, as I know it is copyrighted and don’t want any trouble. It was replaced and the other one stays.

Still, I stick by my argument that this was wrongheaded, politically and otherwise.

I feel your pain and frustration. I too am disappointed that he voted yes for the bill, but realize it was a no win situation: damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. The Democratic strategists had him by the balls and they know it and I can’t help but think they planned it this way. What was the trigger that caused this crisis? Why was the President even on board with it? Why hasn’t everything imploded because it wasn’t solved 2 weeks ago? Because there is no recession and the only problem is the greed and dishonesty of some elected officials and bankers who have the media in their pockets. There shouldn’t even be talk of a bail out, but we have so many socialists with the ability to shape the general public’s perception of what is really happening that now we have a crisis and Obama is left looking like the Savior once again. I can’t help but think this is a intricately designed web of deceit and lies that ties in with illegal immigration and moving our country and government towards globalized courts, military, and laws. I am a citizen of the United States of America, and I want it to stay that way.

16. stevec says:

Jeff;
    I agree with your stance on the bail out.
    We’re all beinmg taken advantage of.
    I’d just like to know, what we’re going to bail out next.

17. callmike2 says:

I may not agree with what you said, but I will defend to the death your right to have said it–Voltaire (That’s a little paraphrased, but the sentiment is the same.)

My problem is that I DO AGREE with you. It was wrongheaded, politically and otherwise. I’m glad you changed the photo.

This whole mess is driven by fear. Some years ago, America gave up on truth and began accepting perception in its place. The media drives this notion. Even though only about 1 percent of home loans forclosed this year, you would think it was the majority. Even though 2-4 percent of homes payments are behind a little, no one ever mentions the 95 percent or more that are fulfilling their obligations. MAYBE the passage of this bill will create the perception that things are getting better. I don’t know–I’m just saying maybe. I hope the House cleans the pork from the bill. Maybe they will… maybe. Either way, and no matter what happens, we’ll have a better chance if the democratic candidate is defeated in the election. I wish they had suspended Sarbanes/Oxley. I wish they had relieved the mark-to-market burden and allowed true valuation of the securities by legitimate appraisers or someone who knows the real value of the securities. It’s all a shell game.
    McCain/Palin all the way!

18. Kuanonymous says:

well, Jeff, I agree with you totally.

In my opinion, barring any October surprise, Obama will be President.

The next bailout probably won’t be a bailout….
    The Secretary of the Treasury will announce bankrupcy through force majeure
    (I sincerely hope I am wrong about this)

Probably not until after Obama is elected.

PS I still will vote for McCain.

19. Kuanonymous says:

Kevin, I am hoping you can debunk this force majeure
    argument….since you are a lawyer, and does this hold water as an option?

Have you ever considering running for office yourself? We need some honest politicians!! And I agree that your position on this demonstrates that you are not biased. You’ve consistently reported on everything objectively, which is rare. Kudos and thanks!

- Independent voting for Mccain/Palin

21. Brenda says:

I have been a middle of the road Democrat all of my life; however, since Obama and Biden, I’ll be voting for McCain and Palin. I do not agree with part of his policies but at least he is a patriot. Obama is not. I hope and pray Obama is vetted for the slime bag he is before he gets to the White House. God help us all if he does get elected. Don’t these stupid people in Washington know what he is? All they would have to do is do what I did. Get on the internet and do the research. Does anyone think Congress is partly involved in this supposed takeover so we will be one nation with all nations as Obama’s song says. This is driving me crazy. I would really like my grandson to grow up in the America I did.

22. demablogue says:

McCain has raised his own white flag of surrender with this bill. This is a sad day for the GOP, and an even sadder day for real conservatives (fiscal and social) out there in America.

Unfortunately, I sense nothing but demise for his campaign.

/sigh
    -demablogue

McCain had to prove himself the maverick against the right or the media would have hung this around his neck and thrown him overboard for the last time. This way it is a draw with Obama, so I can’t fault him, as much as I loathe this christmas tree of a bailout. I’m continually surprised at how many normally conservative people I know that know nothing of Berg’s lawsuit, nothing of Obama’s sorted past, ACORN… nothing, who tell me they are voting for Obama. Who tell me this bailout is Bush’s fault. Since I was always gonna vote for McCain, I only started looking at Obama after his DNC speech. The GOP must vett Obama again on television. The internet reaches many, but I fear, not enough, and it’s crawling with his slimy ACORN robots who would just love to cut and paste your rants against McCain, since they hate your website, more than any other, because they can’t effectively spin it. Thanks for keeping us informed, but I think Sarah might give ya a wink and tell you to tone it down a bit.