A Bright Idea from the Streets of Philadelphia

I saw this about ten minutes ago as I walked past City Hall in Philadelphia. Only through the miracle of modern technology could I get it from my phone to the Internet to this Web site, and I’m glad I could.

When I walked past this gentleman and said, simply, “I love it,” he mentioned without hesitation that Philadelphia was the heart of the Revolution, and it is about time we have another one.

I cannot say I disagree.

When my wife and I bought our first house a few years ago, both of us were working full-time, she as a nurse and me as a professional writer. Long story short, we’ve since had our first kid, she’s downgraded to part-time, I’ve taken on school-related expenses, and my job hasn’t adjusted for inflation. Long story short, we now have too much house.

Our payments are too large for my liking, and it was due to our own short-sightedness when we bought the house in the first place. Truth be told, we struggle each and every month to pay our bills and maybe put a tiny bit–if even that–into savings. Now, my wife could go back to full-time surgical nursing work but the part-time nursing care work she does now makes her happy, and if I’ve learned anything in my almost five years of marriage, it’s that a happy wife equals a stress-free life.

Because of the nature of the market, however, we’re stuck in our house for the foreseeable future. However, I have never asked–nor would I ever ask–for anybody to be accountable for our mistakes besides us. Never. If we fail, we learn, we get back up and then, knowing what we didn’t before, we prevail. As it stands now, we’ve already learned quite a bit even though we’ve managed to dodge complete failure–barely, I may add–on more than one occasion, and I firmly believe that God intends for us to struggle, to stress, to cry a little every once in a while, for good reason.

It angers me to no end that we will now be forced to take some of our tax money–money which comes out of our paychecks and bank accounts and bottom lines and kitchen pantry and Christmas presents and diaper budget–and bail out those who refuse to be held personally accountable for their own mistakes. It angers me to no end that we’re on the hook for illegal immigrants who are breaking the law by simply being here in the first place and have defaulted on loans they should never have been granted, loans which they were able to procure without income verification, without identification, because our federal government forced banking institutions to relax lending standards in the name of political correctness, diversity, “social engineering” and my personal favorite, “economic justice.”

You know, if a short little Wall Street man with an Armani suit and a Napoleon complex knocked on my front door and asked me, point-blank, for $2300 to help his failing business and ailing bottom line, I’d tell him exactly where he could put his gold watch and trendy eyewear. We cannot allow for the privatization of gains and the socialization of losses, and we cannot permit this behavior to go unchecked and unpunished. My wife and I have had to trim back our budget at every single exposed spot, to the point that I feel bad for my child because, on the rare occasion when we do go clothes shopping for her as she grows, I immediately go to the “clearance” section first. When my wife asked me what I wanted for my 30th birthday this coming month, I asked that she take whatever she wanted to spend and just put it in our paltry savings account which, at the time of this writing, has about seven dollars in it. We’ve paid for a half-gallon of milk with quarters, we’ve laid awake at night wondering how we’ll manage to pay our mortgage and our electric bill, we’ve been shopping at the “discount” supermarket — if we have to make sacrifices, why shouldn’t these people do the same?

Likewise, if Barney Frank or Chuck Schumer or Christopher Dodd were to try to explain, to me, the merits of using my earnings to pay for somebody else’s poor judgment, I’d ask them if they knew just how humiliating it is to take money from a two-year-old’s piggy bank to put gasoline in the car, promising under your breath that, somehow, daddy will make it up to her over time. I’d show them the barren shelves of our refrigerator and the dwindling stack of Wal-Mart brand diapers on my daughter’s changing table. These people have no business whatsoever in the mortgage business, and I have no reason to believe that their current involvement won’t be just as successful as the previous meddling which put us in this situation in the first place. I’m meeting my obligations, no matter how difficult and stressful and trying it is to do so — why shouldn’t others have to do the same?

If I had the time, if I wasn’t working my tail off to pay the bills we currently have and to make up for my previous mistakes and ensure that I won’t make similar ones in the future, if I wasn’t working all day and going to school at night so I can better provide for my family in years down the road — I’d likely be out there, in front of City Hall, holding a sign as well.

If the federal government is to do anything with regard to this crisis, it should encourage policies which foster increased flow of private capital, not public tax money. However, should it come to a decision between failure and socialism, let these entities fail. I’ll gladly sacrifice my way through two, five, ten, fifteen years of recession and depression in order to preserve a free market and the freedom it brings for my children and for yours in the years and decades to come.

Comments

ditto . . .well said.

2. HarveYaz says:

I feel you man.

3. California Mom says:

It’s comforting to know that there are other people out there that in the same situation that me and my family are in. I feel it’s a slap in the face to all Americans if we bail these @*^#%$’s out.

All the government officials and workers should be forced to accept zero dollars in payment for their services until this is cleared up. Then they should get enough money to exist in DC for all the trouble they cause. Let the States pay whatever they think these people are worth and deny them any other type of retirement except Social Security so they can live like those who exist on Social Security now. There is no need for these millionaires to receive any pensions, perks, or salaries for these positions.

5. Jeff Schreiber says:

California Mom, you are certainly not alone. You and I are rare, however, in that we live or die by our own action or inaction, feel as though our success lies within our own strength, our own focus, our own determination.

I look forward to the day when I can not only take care of my own family, but can give as much as I’d like to take care of others as well. I’m sure you feel the same way.

The answer, though, NEVER lies in government. Never. And that’s the difference between people like you and me, and those out there that buy into this socialist nonsense out of blame-shifting and the feeling that, somehow, the government owes them a certain way of life.

It is because certain people in our government felt, wrongly, that homeownership is a RIGHT that we’re in this country-wide predicament in the first place. The very last thing we need is for these very same people to be in charge of driving us out of the problem they created.

Thanks for reading, ma’am.

–Jeff

I agree! REduce elected officials benefits and pay grades starting today. Make them pay first as we head into socialist government. That should be in the damn bailout plan. I’m with the Republicans. Stop the damn bailout especially with 20% going to Acorn.

7. Stevec says:

What needs to be done is a PRIVATE Loan to these companies, instead of aving US take on their bad debt. Let them sell the houses and material goods to the highest bidder and let them work off the rest.
    The bail out is nothing more then a “free get out of Jail card”, they have no responsibilty and accountability.
    Take away their pensions, golden parachutes and let the upper management go to the unemployment lines and see how they like it.
    Put them in the same position, they’ve put millions of hard working people into.

8. jwarn789 says:

Jeff, if you provided a way to do so, I’d love to pay you for your work in the form of a small donation. I don’t know how you feel about the whole thing but many blogs do it.

Me too buddy. I think you’d do the same thing.

Does your “too much house” have space for a roomer? Maybe you could do yourself a favor and someone else a favor as well.
    The difficulty is finding someone who can pay you, and someone who you feel comfortable sleeping in the same house with. Someone you feel you can trust to leave in the house even if you’re not there.

Maybe a fellow classmate?

11. suek says:

By the way…

From a not known to be reliable source: part of the problem is China. Supposedly they’ve said to “support the bailout” or they’ll stop loaning us money – and we need their loans.

If it’s true, then it’s time to stop that nonsense as well.

12. John Galt says:

Jeff;

You are a closet Libertarian.

Come out, come out and support Barr and Root

13. Pat in NC says:

At 73, my savings have all but evaporated. I worked hard all my life and did without luxuries so that my families needs would be met. Now they want to burden citizens with debts we did not make and penalize future generations with paying this down. My prayers will be with you and your family that you are able to make it through these trying times.

14. California Mom says:

Jeff, Thank you for responding to my comment earlier…it made my day! I’ve been a devoted reader of your site for a while now and I truly appreciated the information that you give all of us. It’s refreshing to read something that isn’t skewed by the liberal mainstream media.
    As stated by another one of your readers, the work that you do on this site is well worth a donation. I think you should accept the offer. Just think of it as a ‘thank you’ for all your time and efforts to inform the public of the real news.
    Thanks again Jeff for all your enlightening posts and articles. I’m so glad there are people out there that still have ethics and common sense.
    Sincerely, California Mom

Jeff, I found you web site from HuckPac. I have been a checking it every day and have greatly admired your writing. Sometimes it even helps me to understand how my stuggling readers must feel when you talk “lawyer talk” though.:-) Anyway, I just want you to know that I truly believe that you have a great future ahead of you. You have great wisdom, skills, character, and faith. Those will see you through. This time will pass and you will one day value the things you learned during difficult time, as much as much as anything else you will ever do. I know. Been there. But God was faithful.

16. Bryan says:

Don’t forget to drive old cars to save money.Don’t do a thing; it will occur in time!

17. JHamm says:

I too really enjoy your blog and check it daily. It surprises me to hear that you endure similar struggles as me and my family. I have a young daughter and work on my Master’s at night to get ahead very much like you. It does seem wrong to bailout these idiots in Washington AND Wallstreet. However, I do fear the consequences for America of not doing so.

By the way, I second the notion of allowing donations to your blog. You do good work here and you could consider a savings fund for your daughters education.

Jeff

18. not a dem anymore says:

I was wondering if you have seen this yet…

The Barack Obama campaign is asking Missouri law enforcement to target anyone who lies or runs a misleading TV ad during the presidential campaign.

Gov. Blunt Statement on Obama Campaign’s Abusive Use of Missouri Law Enforcement

19. Enouranois says:

Jeff, would the revolution be OK if it were led by Hillary Clinton, applied the politics of Naomi Klein and included the charge that 911 was an inside job?

20. Laura says:

Thanks for sharing your heart. I quit work some years back to care for my elderly mom in our home. My husband is the only one working and it’s very difficult to make ends meet. I’m right with you and have been here before and survived with God’s grace.

I’ve never contributed to any cause before, but since I found your site about a week ago, you are the only one making sense of so much that is going on. You get some of my Christmas money!

I hope in the future that you are able to give us instructions as to how to fight this liberal media and distortion of truth. I personally have contacted some of the media and have not received replies. I want to do more, but what?

Thanks again!